Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

New Builder just join the forum!!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

New Builder just join the forum!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 06:45 AM
LargeScale88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Builder just join the forum!!

Chris, I think I know where you are coming from, you've put ARFs together and built kits, and you have a big shop with lots of parts.

That DOESNOT make you an experienced builder! The pictures you posted on your work are nothing but simple trainers and sport planes to build. I would like to see photos of your scale projects.

Heres a couple pictures of my current scale project, maybe you could post a few of yours Chris??

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87529.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1835755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66030.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1835756  
Old 01-01-2013, 06:58 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:00 AM
shovelhead

I've been building and flying since 1992, just a few post on here. WHO CARES! We have some so called Pros in this neck of the woods too. Ha Ha, Got a Great Planes Ultra Sport 60 kit for Xmas, had 1 b4 but radio went south. I would like to see somebody build this kit and 4 or 5 others in a week. Ain't gonna happen....
Old 01-01-2013, 07:30 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Chris may I ask your age, Ihave never seen your name before in the rc world [just asking]
Old 01-01-2013, 07:33 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

If you look at the costs, I doubt someone want him to build a kit for them.

It probably means 4-5 ARFs in week, but if he so busy, he would not need to 'indroduce' his business here.
Probably not a scam, but not very useful for most of us either.

No matter how many Arfs you assemble, it does not make you a professional builder.
I'd expect to see some scratch build planes and people with a big smile next to them on a picture.

Usually the shipping costs are the deal breaker in sending assembled planes across the country. I wonder how that would work out.

We all love to build and fly our planes, and we spend a lot of money on our hobby, probably more then we should
So I can not see having someone build my plane, I'd rather spend the extra cash on a nice engine or the next plane...

As long as he does not offer something new and extraordinary, I don't see the point of dealing with this.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:08 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Oh boy, it's on the front page now!!!!!!!!! Gonna get good real fast...........
Old 01-01-2013, 08:11 AM
GaryHarris

I would stay out of the Scale section here Chris. lol
Old 01-01-2013, 08:14 AM
DGUY
My Feedback: (9)

Front page news......... let me find the popcorn popper.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:26 AM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

hahahaha,,,,nice good hard pat on your own back!!!....when you turn 16,,,try it again....or if you want a build off,,,Im sure there are a ton of REAL builders that would take you on....hahahaha
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74446.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	1835795  
Old 01-01-2013, 08:35 AM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

oh,,,,and make it interesting,,,put some hard earned money on it!!!...lol
Old 01-01-2013, 08:46 AM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Great paint work there, CL!!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:58 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I think you had your shot and blew it, time to move on...

Bob
Old 01-01-2013, 09:05 AM
sonsight

He is also over at RC Groups, tooting his horn. Haven't seen him at the other two sites... yet.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: OliverJacob

This is a kit building forum. More then likely the people here have the skills to build a kit (and of course an ARF) themselves.
On the pictures I see a few ARFs, nothing unusual. Not much of a reference.

So someone buys a kit and pays a few hundred $ plus shipping for you to build it, why not buy an ARF?

Assembling a small ARF is $125 plus shipping, that will be an expensive plane.
Why someone would need this service is beyond me. It would take the fun out of it.

Here is a good tip - get a laser cutter and design your own kits, they are getting rare and there is a lot of interest. Just ask here what they would like to have. Build it and they will come...
When I was still building for others I charged $125.00 to assemble and set up an ARF trainer and had quite a bit of work. Not quite 300 planes a year. More like 7 or 8. That fee also included the maiden and trim flight. That way no one could say the plane was put together incorrectly if it crashed. I saw that happen to another builder. Kits I charged depending on what it was and what was involved in the build. I figure I built a half dozen kits a year for people depending on what was going on at the different clubs. Different racing classes called for different planes. I have built a lot of the SIG Kavaliers. These are really easy and fast kits to build but if I only had one to build it would still take me a few weeks, maybe two if it was needed fast.
300 scale kits a year?? I'm very impressed!!.
SPELLING: I will never correct anyones spelling or mention it very often, it doesn't count and not everyone is good at it. On a professionals web site though it counts for a lot.
Posting this on a KIT BUILDERS web page may not be the brightest thing to have done?
300 kits a year!!! Impressive!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: sonsight

He is also over at RC Groups, tooting his horn. Haven't seen him at the other two sites... yet.
What is the reaction there?? They are a much more polite group and seem to have much thinner skin. Not near as much fun either but some very nice folks I know.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:30 AM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If that web site was put together by a college kid, he is wasting his time in college or he needs to slow down on the reefers!

I think builder's title says it all - NEW builder just joined the forum ! !

I think it should read NOOBIE (I think I'm a builder) just joined the forum ! !

But whatever he thinks, he's really just

Old 01-01-2013, 09:44 AM
builder8319

To answer some of your questions, I did not say I was a stick kit builder, I but close to 300 ARF Kits a year from people all of the country, I have only built 5 kits and yes they take months from start to finish, I have 6 worker that work for me. And Yes RC Group is lot better as at least the people there have nice things to say and not try to be GOD!

Iam a 40 year old person, and have been building kits for Hobbies R Us in Canada, and I build ARF for alot of people that dont have time or know how to IE Tools to build one!

I did not say I am an expert, Again People always jump the gun as say things that that do not know what they are saying without having all the fact in hand, And that will get you in trouble.

I have been getting jobs from word of mouth, and from Fun fly events and From Swap meets acroos the country, I pull a 20' enclosed trailer with 30 planes I have built to show what all I do.

I also do engine rebuilds and repairs. and I will have ads coming out in Fly RC Magazine, and in the AMA Magazine!! So I sm doing good. And I would put My kit builds up against anyones As My last one I built won the customer an award of best in show 3d at joe Nall. so I can do it too.

good day to all!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:50 AM
tkline

Old 01-01-2013, 09:58 AM
tkline

Maybe we all jumped to conclusions about you being a stick builder since you posted this in kit building instead of arf/rtf forum
Old 01-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: builder8319

To answer some of your questions, I did not say I was a stick kit builder, I but close to 300 ARF Kits a year from people all of the country, I have only built 5 kits and yes they take months from start to finish, I have 6 worker that work for me. And Yes RC Group is lot better as at least the people there have nice things to say and not try to be GOD!

Iam a 40 year old person, and have been building kits for Hobbies R Us in Canada, and I build ARF for alot of people that dont have time or know how to IE Tools to build one!

I did not say I am an expert, Again People always jump the gun as say things that that do not know what they are saying without having all the fact in hand, And that will get you in trouble.

I have been getting jobs from word of mouth, and from Fun fly events and From Swap meets acroos the country, I pull a 20' enclosed trailer with 30 planes I have built to show what all I do.

I also do engine rebuilds and repairs. and I will have ads coming out in Fly RC Magazine, and in the AMA Magazine!! So I sm doing good. And I would put My kit builds up against anyones As My last one I built won the customer an award of best in show 3d at joe Nall. so I can do it too.

good day to all!

I will ask again.
If you do that many planes a year, why would you post several pics of the same trainer and a sport plane? I mean, doing that many, you must have some pretty cool planes you have done....
Old 01-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: builder8319

good day to all!
Really, would love to see it.. Post some pics
Old 01-01-2013, 10:07 AM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: tkline

Maybe we all jumped to conclusions about you being a stick builder since you posted this in kit building instead of arf/rtf forum

People actually pay people to assemble arfs? I don't know what this world is coming to and I must be an idiot for building kits. I need a beer and a song.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH-_9cwdLug[/youtube]

Old 01-01-2013, 10:17 AM
tkline

I had typed out another reply but erased it cause I just decided there was no good to come from it you can never stop someone from bragging about their accomplishments when they are the best
Old 01-01-2013, 10:21 AM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

Good Luck with your business. Its really nice to see pro builders here to answer questions. If I have any I will keep you in mind, Regards Walt
Old 01-01-2013, 10:22 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Now it gets interesting.
So compare post #1 and post #42 - which is quite the opposite. So what are the skills here?

Gray Beard - you can charge someone at your field $125 to assemble and set up their trainer plane. Fair price, but that works only locally, most trainers have a one piece wing and it would cost a fortune to ship it. And he does not test fly the plane or run the engine.
Well, I bought a used trainer and saved a lot of money.

Anyways now we went from a 'professional builder' to someone who just 'build' a few kits. Not impressed and I am far from being a GOD.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.