Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

New Boy

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 10:39 AM
Dwr Bachgen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Boy

Hello ,
I have just joined this sites forum; this is my first time on here.Just need to ask a few questions, i have recently bought a RC boat, from what i can see its a very base model. But i have purposely bought this one to upgrade it and to make my mistakes on it before venturing up to the next level.
The first upgrade i would like to do is to change its battery, currently it has8x Ni –mh AA800mAH 9.6v which can power the boat for only 6 min. So could you advise me on a battery that has better endurance and power that i could replace it with?
Hope this is ok
Old 12-31-2012, 03:28 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Boy

go to a 9.6 v 1800 mah or 2200 mah nimhs and go more running time. But it will take a lot longer to charge these unless you get a charger that can supply more amps.

A 4 amp charger would charge the 2200 mah battery in 30 mins.

Frank
Old 01-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Goldenduff

If you intend to progress in this hobby you must get a decent lipo charger and lipos. Get a decent one so you don't have to upgrade it every time you progress to more powerful setups.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Dwr Bachgen

Thanks for advise i am just about to order a Overland sport ,Lipo Batteries 2200mAh 4S 14.8v 25C Sport, will this be ok. Will get a Amp next week
Also i have noticed that the connections from my current batteries to the boat are red and black cables running to two connection pins,is this astandard part or should ibe looking at upgraging this?
Old 01-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Goldenduff

Check your order but most batteries are shipped without connectors on them. If you are going to progress in the hobby pick a connector that can handle large currents- it's a pain to have change charger and battery leads later. I'm not sure of names but I think ec60 or something are good.

By getting an amp to you mean an amp/watt meter. That is highly adviced to have one 
Old 01-02-2013, 07:23 AM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4S lipo might be too much for your electrics. Would you need a low voltage device, or does the esc have one built in. Any pics or links.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Dwr Bachgen

I have tried to load a pic on but was only able to load a pic on my profile pic. The boat i have bought is a very basic model so i dont think the electrics will be up to much .  What voltage battery should i be looking at.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:32 PM
trax de max

an 8cell nimh fresh of the charger could be upto 12.8V, a 4s charged is 16.8V. A 3s lipo charged is 12.6V which would be better.
For a charger there sometimes decent enough sets on fleebay to get you started. Not the most powerful, but good enough for lipo packs for the size you'll need.
[link=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321047489076?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649]click here.[/link]
Old 01-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Dwr Bachgen

Brill i will have a look for a 3s lipo / 12.6V, i notice your from the UK any there any uk shops you buy from online or get your kit from all over .
Old 01-02-2013, 01:24 PM
trax de max

Expensive stuff i get from online shops, It's only past few months I went to an actual shop because i'm going to get into heli's and there is a heli shop near me. But most things it's any online place or ebay overseas keep orders below £15, or customs like to have some of the action and charge you. Most online places in the uk are good. The local model boat shop closed down a couple year ago. Ironically it got flooded out with the bad rain we had.