Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Looking for a new mini

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:37 PM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a new mini

So I'm looking for a new mini, as a 1/8th scale is no longer in my budget. I think I'm crossed between the 1/16 Summit VXL, and the 1/16 Slash 4x4 VXL,but I don'twant to jump into onevehicle without knowing all the options.Can you guys supply any other minis, preferrably the size of those mentioned above, are brushless, 4x4, and can take lipo? I already have an XS, just want somethign to screw around with on the driveway and parking areas.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Ken448

Default RE: Looking for a new mini

What are you going to use it for?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11348340/tm.htm
I own both a VXL Revo and a Flux XS
The Summit, and Slash are both built off the same platform as the Revo with tire/rocker arm and spring changes.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:53 PM
cumminspower5.9

I don;t want the revo. maybe something to play with around the house, in the driveway. how quick is a summit vxl or a slash vxl stock.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:13 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they are too fast stock, and will end up on their lids (well the summit at least the tires are way too tall)

A RC18 might work better for a driveway
Old 01-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Ken448

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=136801

some more reading for ya
They all run off the same platform, and motor esc combo. The differences come from suspension setup, gearing and tires.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:21 AM
cumminspower5.9

Well I guess I'm in a bind between the 1/16th Slash 4x4 VXL, or the Summit 4x4 VXL. I like they way they both look. I just don't want them to be as small as my Mini-T. That was too small, and couldn't go anywhere. I just want it to be brushless and 4x4, and can go over a few little rocks and maybe some short grass.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:35 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

To quote nitrosportsandrunner from another thread made the other day

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

I havent had either, but had a mini summit vxl.
I was all pumped when it arrived. slapped a 2s in it and took it out on hard packed snow.
It sucked, flipped onto its roof ever 10 feet.
I had tought that fancy suspension would soak up the rough stuff, but its small size meant that a standard 4wd 1/10 (like my redcat volcano epx pro) was way better.

Now, Ive also had a BRUSHED mini slash. That was kinda fun. The lean worked for that truck, and the smaller tires meant it would slide around instead of flip.

anything below 1/10 scale with brushless power jsut doesnt seem to work.

I got the merv and even that with the VXL I found to be too flippy bone stock. Also remember you will have to order batteries cause the battery trays are kinda small so most normal packs won't fit
Old 01-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Ken448

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

Well I guess I'm in a bind between the 1/16th Slash 4x4 VXL, or the Summit 4x4 VXL. I like they way they both look. I just don't want them to be as small as my Mini-T. That was too small, and couldn't go anywhere. I just want it to be brushless and 4x4, and can go over a few little rocks and maybe some short grass.

Based on that (and the grass comment alone) Id go Summit. They are both much larger than the Mini T. If you want to handle full length grass, and use a full sized motor and full sized high capacity batteries, Id give the HPI Flux XS a look. Cheaper, and its near 1:12 or 1:10 in size. Itll also handle bumps at speed much better since it weighs 2 pounds more.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:37 PM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you looked the Duratrax brushless evader? if your a tower club member you could get one for 194.99

and all your lipos for your XS would drop right in the Evader. unlike the traxxas minis where youd have to buy smaller lipos

ORIGINAL: Ken448

Based on that (and the grass comment alone) Id go Summit. They are both much larger than the Mini T. If you want to handle full length grass, and use a full sized motor and full sized high capacity batteries, Id give the HPI Flux XS a look. Cheaper, and its near 1:12 or 1:10 in size. Itll also handle bumps at speed much better since it weighs 2 pounds more.
He hasa XS
Old 01-01-2013, 06:03 PM
cumminspower5.9

Are there any other minis out there other than the Summit and Slash? I have the the XS already, just want something to screw around with on a day I don't feel like breaking out the XS. I don't mind buying a few new lipos, but I would like to keep it under $300 rtr fo the truck.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:14 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

HPI mini recon/propulse (comes brushed durability is sub par IMO on the HPI, but costs $109)
RC18B2/T2 brushless is like $199 brushless RTR (uses belt drive)
RC18MT brushed $132 brushed 99% sure its based on the original RC18 which is shaft drive(I got one its pretty dang strong).
Old 01-01-2013, 06:34 PM
cumminspower5.9

Those aren't too bad looking, just smaller than what I am looking for. They are only like, 9" long. Seems like they would have trouble driving on a rock/gravel driveway and grass
Old 01-01-2013, 07:08 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

hm prolly on a gravel driveway it might not do good. I've run my RC18B in streets, and over short grass(under 2 inches) no issues though.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:30 AM
cumminspower5.9

Yea I would rarely run in the streets, but more off road than anything. I bash 100% of the time, but nothing crazy like huge jumps and wipeouts really. I like the ground clearence and overall off road appearance and versatility of the 1/16 Summit VXL, but I don't want something that flips on it's lid constantly. I own the XS, and it would always be on it's lid if it weren't for the good throttle control I have. So maybe that would make a difference, or is the 1/16 Summit VXL THAT touchy? The 1/16 Slash 4x4 VXL would be good too for buzzing around the yard and driveway without issues, but I think with the smaller tires, it would lack traction and spin out all the time. See this is why I come here, to hear everyone opinions about each one lol.

Overall, I guess I would say that I am stuck between the 1/16 Slash 4x4 VXL, and the 1/16 Summit 4x4 VXL.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:59 AM
Ken448

sorry. Totally missed that you have an XS.
The Traxxas rides are great but have their weaknesses, like any other RC. In just a few weeks, my Mini Revo was upgraded to RPM all the way around, Aluminum upper shock mounts, T Bone Chassis plate, and a new TRX chassis. All from being silly and seeing what it can handle. It LOVES to cartwheel.

Have you looked at the Mini LST2? Have one of those too. Out of the box its slow(ish) Ive managed to stuff a full sized steering servo into mine for better performance. May go BL with it unless I give it to the kids. And it comes equipped with a center diff. Im not even sure they still sell them though?

Have you considered mini rock crawling? Thats kind of fun if you have the obstacles.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:36 AM
cumminspower5.9

Definitely not into rock crawling. Scale truck look cool, but that's just too slow for me. I can get very impatient, and that would kill me. I'm more of a "Kepp your foot on the gas" kind of guy lol