Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-39 Airacobra anything thread!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-39 Airacobra anything thread!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 05:21 AM
Carosel43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: P-39 Airacobra anything thread!

I am really looking forward to the esm one coming out, i have a little list of mods already to make it a bit more scale, im alsoo going to give it a different paint job as i dont want one the same as everyone elses! i already have the LA7 from esm and it flys brilliantly on a laser 180 four stroke glow, the P39 will either get another laser or one of my spare saito 180's

Old 10-31-2010, 07:36 AM
Kram Noskcire

I just saw the PLANS and PATTERNS for the 1/5 scale Bell P-39 listed on e-bay for $20. Thought some one would be interested.

Mark A. Erickson
Old 11-19-2010, 09:34 PM
RustyRotor

Mark, here's a link over at the warbird information exchange that you may be interested in.

http://www.warbirdinformationexchang...3886&view=next

It is about Cobra 1, sorry if this old news to you.

PS
Old 11-19-2010, 11:45 PM
Kram Noskcire

Thank you for the link, although I have been in contact with Mr. Partridge, some of the info was new to me. As a kid about 6 or 7 I used to innertube over the wreck site. The sun used to reflect off the cockpit or other bight metal parts. It was than that my dad told me about how they found the wreck and lifted it out of the water, recovered Jack's body, and just droped it back into the lake because it was so mangled.

I hope to soon start on my scale model of the P-39. I have all the stenles(sp) and transfers for Cobra I. It has a 60" wingspan. If for any reason that I think that I can't build it, I will leave it in the box and try to sell it on eBay to someone who will build Cobra I.

Again thank you for the link.

Mark
Old 11-21-2010, 11:30 AM
miklos
My Feedback: (38)

If anyone is interested, the link to a PDF of the instructions for the upcoming ESM P-39 ARF is now working on the ESM website.
http://www.esmmodel.com/inc/Enproduc...?productid=215
Old 11-22-2010, 12:20 PM
jmohn

Got an email from Thomas at VQ and he expects the P-39 to arrive in Feb/Mar 2011. Looks like a nice design and one I will have to pick-up when they arrive. Have to go electric on this plane to keep the nose clean like the real thing. It would be ashame to see a huge exhaust pipe of cyclinder head sticking out of the cowl

Jeff
Old 11-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got an email from Thomas at VQ and he expects the P-39 to arrive in Feb/Mar 2011.
Any pricing info?

FB
Old 11-22-2010, 02:10 PM
jmohn

No, but I would expect them to be priced similar to the other planes that size (LA-7 and Hurricane). It may be a little more since it has tricycle gear, but that's why I want one

I have my electrical system all ready for it when it arrives too!

Jeff
Old 11-22-2010, 09:44 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

ORIGINAL: jmohn

Have to go electric on this plane to keep the nose clean like the real thing. It would be ashame to see a huge exhaust pipe of cyclinder head sticking out of the cowl

Jeff
Plus, the nose gear can be moved forward to a more scale location.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 11-23-2010, 12:00 PM
jmohn

Yeap, I sure hope it's setup for that option too.

Jeff
Old 01-19-2011, 07:35 AM
Mtthwacrss
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone out there have the patterns for the TF Gold edition P-39 Horizontal Stab ribs? Just bought a kit and the guy who started it let it set for a while and the horizontal stab is warped. I think it would be best to rebuild it from scratch.

Thanks

Matt
Old 01-19-2011, 08:42 AM
hyflyer9

Hello Mtthwacrss
I do still have my plans for my top flight p39 But I am not willing to part with them but I can scan the tail section onto my pc and send it to you. All I will need is an email address.
hyflyer9
Old 01-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Mtthwacrss
My Feedback: (1)

I have the plans but need to have the patterns for the horizontal stab ribs so i can cut new ones. E-mail is [email protected]
Old 01-19-2011, 11:01 AM
hyflyer9

Yes the plans do not show the temp plates for that only the one for the cross section at the s2 rib .
Question - if you Have the one that is already built you may be able to carefully cut the sheeting off and use the rib sections to make temp plates
hyflyer9
Old 01-19-2011, 02:05 PM
dlange5

My dad also worked at the Bell Plant as Aero engineer. He remembers the P-39 speed tests over the railroad tracks between Walmore and Sanborn where we grew up. Larry Bell was at our house for dinner, although I was too young to remember.

I'm on the waiting list for the ESM -P-39. I'm thinking of going electric as I'm also building a Precision Cut Kits 1/4 Scale P-39 with 60cc gas. They cut it from Dave Palmer plans. It will take me awhile as fitting the nose retract may take somehammering.

I also have a Top Flite Gold Edition P-39 with a Efilte 60 in it. It flys great, but does not have retracts and cooling is an issue as "where do you ruin the cowl" to cool it.

The ESM P-39 will be my all around Airacobra until I finish the big one. Can't wait!!
Old 12-03-2012, 05:23 PM
hyflyer9

Hi Folks
I have a club member that is looking for a copy of the Top flite P39 red box plans he is willing to pay for the shipping and the copy cost if any one has a set please let me know . I gave him my gold edition plans but they are a little different .
Thank you.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:58 PM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

I have a P39 86" SPAN that I bought at a swap meet. It has a G62 and weighs about 30 lb. It has no flaps and lands like a brick. I think it was built from ??? Zimmerman plans. Does anyone have these plans? If so where is the CG.

Thanks
Nelson
Old 01-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Carlos G

Hi Iron Dog,

Did you ever finish the tooling for the p-39?

Carlos G
Old 01-01-2013, 03:16 PM
rcrmel

Carlos is that you ?? Zimmerman is still flying his. Mel.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Carlos G

Hi Mel,

Yes it is me, LOL Just a litte older and too much fatter. How are you? I was down in San Diego to see my mom last Nov but, didnt have time to visit with any of my Hobby Friends. I sure miss seeing everybody at the Madera Races. I realise that GSRA continues to have races on a limited schedule. Its just the timing for me just doesnt work out to attend.

Its seems like having the races out at Rabbit is kinda like having a NASCAR race in the middle of the Death Valley.

I hope you have had a good year and that the upcoming one is even better for you.

Carlos G.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:25 AM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Carlos G

Hi Iron Dog,

Did you ever finish the tooling for the p-39?

Carlos G
Hi Carlos,

Yes, I did (well . . . sort-of). I've laid up a few of them over the last couple years. The first one is pictured in my avatar. Each of these were with fixed gear.

If your interested in more detail (much more detail), I did a build thread in the Scale Racing forum . . . beings that is my primary interest, and where most of my friends and fellow club members "hang out." It documents a step-by-step process of my layup for my last P-39 (as well as a P-47 and a P-51). It is called the Warbird Racer Trinity Build. I probably should have posted a link before, but didn't think of it. Sorry. Here it is:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9659845/tm.htm

The last one (detailed in the build thread) was really fast, and flew fantastic! I finally felt I got all the bugs worked out of my design. It is a 1/8th scale (.40-.45-sized) plane powered by a YS 110.

But now I'm going to change it up again, and hopefully make it still better. Thanks to the help of a friend who greatly assisted me with the CAD-work, I have designed a new CAD-engineered scale wing; complete with split flaps and electric retracts. I have already had a couple wings laser cut. I've test-assembled them on a wing jig, but haven't glued them, yet. But the fit and alignment seems good, so far. But to do retractable gear,I will have to re-engineer my plug to incorporate the nose section so I can accomodate a retractable nose wheel in the scale position. I plan on reworking my plug, and laying up new fuses and building the prototype laser-cut scale wings over the course of my long summer vacation. I still have the P-47 from the Trinity Build to finish, as well as another all-wood re-engineered P-47 prototype (and a couple ARF projects) to finish in the meantime.

Ollie
Old 01-02-2013, 02:05 PM
rcrmel

Have great year Carlos. I do not race anymore. Too old! However I still go to Rabbit to pick on the guys. I still fly Scale but again not as serious as before. Maybe we will run across you somewhere in the future. Regards. Mel.