Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Other SS Swashdrive users?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Other SS Swashdrive users?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Kalsc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other SS Swashdrive users?

Hi there, I am finally starting my jet sprint build using a cast stainless steel swashdrive jet drive. I had ordered this sucker years ago but the project got sidelined.

First question, does anyone know if Craig from Swashdrive is contactable? Last i read he had parts available for guys with this unit in case they broke something.

Second question, anyone here still running a stainless unit?

Looking forward to feedback.

Cheers!
Old 01-02-2013, 12:01 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Other SS Swashdrive users?

Welcome to the forum.

The stainless unit was heavy and heavy. Can't say I remember seeing any in hulls. I brought one to the US from OZ for a buddy and remember the looks I got at airport security. He ended up selling off the drive and had me bring back a RTR Swashdrive jetboat minus motor for him. It had the plastic housing and was considerably lighter.

Last I heard (at least 2 years ago) Craig was doing tattoo needles and was selling off all his molds for hulls and hardware. A shame as he definitely raised the bar with how he did things.

What are your plans for the pump?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:10 AM
Kalsc

Thanks for the info.  You are right in that these pumps are heavy, but talk about solid construction.  From what I remember, even with the weight of these SS drives, the boats were still wicked fast and maneuverable.  I like the idea of the extra weight as it'll keep the intake well in the water with less air intake.

I have a mould for a jet sprint hull, was thinking of making a few hulls and setting this drive in it.  

I remember reading that Craig was working on some new technology.  He had stated that prop drives are ~30% efficient and jet drives are ~36% efficient.  He went on to state that his new drive was upwards of 60-70%, was working on patents.  Never heard anything past that.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:11 AM
The Ghost

ORIGINAL: Kalsc

Thanks for the info. You are right in that these pumps are heavy, but talk about solid construction. From what I remember, even with the weight of these SS drives, the boats were still wicked fast and maneuverable. I like the idea of the extra weight as it'll keep the intake well in the water with less air intake.

I have a mould for a jet sprint hull, was thinking of making a few hulls and setting this drive in it.

I remember reading that Craig was working on some new technology. He had stated that prop drives are ~30% efficient and jet drives are ~36% efficient. He went on to state that his new drive was upwards of 60-70%, was working on patents. Never heard anything past that.

I think that Adam at Jettec took over from Craig. Check it out at www.jettec.co.nz
cheers
Old 01-02-2013, 02:27 AM
infinityteg

Hi there,

I have finished a jet sprint not so long ago (minus sign writing) using the cast unit. I used to have the plastic unit of Craigs also (got stolen) but this unit i am quite happy with for now. heres a short clip of the first run of mine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0EcWdukZLo&feature=plcp

cheers
steve
Old 01-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Kalsc

Hi Steve,

Great video!  It's a testament to how great the SS units are despite the "extra weight".  What hull did you use?  And what is your engine package?

Cheers!
Sean
Old 01-02-2013, 09:20 PM
infinityteg

oh sorry, forgot to mention that part.
Im running a stock RCMK k30 with a Gizmo torque master 2" pipe.
the hull is one i designed and lay up

I was having a few issuse with the drive line where the round collet kept slipping on the flew shaft i was using. i have since moved to a double square ended flex cable
on the jetunit end i am using a [link=http://www.mhz-powerboats.com/Antriebe/Kupplungen/Kupplung-M8-fuer-Vierkant.html]MHZ Coupler[/link] , regular square end coupling from any of the suppliers and a double square ended flex shaft from warehouse hobbies made to the length i specified.

cheers
steve

any other pics or info your after, ask away.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89899.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	1836367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85293.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	1836368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13034.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	1836369  
Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 PM
mickieb49

I ended up buying the remainder of Craig's spares and units for the SS unit, since sold most off but depending on what you are after i may be able to help.
Mick