Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya tiger 1 kit 56010 machine gun problem

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya tiger 1 kit 56010 machine gun problem

Old 01-02-2013, 12:38 PM
jerryrigged

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya tiger 1 kit 56010 machine gun problem

I just bought my first tamiya full option already built and used. the seller who is half way across the country has been helpful in getting me aquainted with it's operation.

here's the problem. I can get the machine gun to fire. There's no sound or light from the flash LED.

In fact, the gun is supposed to fire when the trim button is down and then lever number 2 is quickly pushed down

This fires the main gun only! I am hoping there isn't a problem with the MF-01 unit. All the plugs are in they're right locations.

The seller swears he operated the tank before shipping it to me and it all worked fine.

-would older batteries cause this?
-could there be a short circuit?
-I have a 5 channel remote controller, could that be a problem?

any assistance would be of great help!

Thanks
Old 01-02-2013, 12:50 PM
aashu
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Tamiya tiger 1 kit 56010 machine gun problem

I had similar issue but here is what I did to fix mine.

Make sure that your controls are similar to mine so that we know that we are talking same thing.

Left stick up/down - controls forward and reverse of tank.
left stick left /right - rotates turret

right stick up/down controls gun elevation
right stick left/right controls turning.

If all this is correct, you should try the radio reset process (lack of better word) with full charged batteries. (it should be in manual) make sure the light blinking and color matches the steps and you are able to finish the process as per manual. I believe there are 4 total steps.

Things to remember. your travel for all 4 channels should be 100% and when you move trims, they should be 100% as well.

I had a few missing settings from above and was getting frustrated.
There are many experienced tankers here who should be able to further assist, BTW, what radio is it ?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its a fairly common symptom, and generally not serious. 

Like "aashu" mentioned, a MF unit reset is usually the solution, and a good starting point to fix this.  The MF reset process is found on Page 18 of your Tamiya Tiger manual at the top of the page.  Make sure the trim tabs on your transmitter are all at neutral before performing the MF reset.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Yep, good answers guys. Go through the reset, making sure everything is connected correctly.

This has happened to me a few times so don't panic.

~ Jeff
Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 AM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is simple....you need to reverse the elevation servo. Depending on your radio it is just a simple flick of a switch. Try trimming up and then the joystick up instead to see if it will fire. I will send you my phone number. I am about 60 miles south of you in north Jersey. I have family in Tilson and Rosendale. I used to fish and ski at Williams Lake. I'll also PM you some information on the NEAD RC tank club based here in NJ. We have many NY members. I can reccomend you mount a separate fire button for that main gun. The MG is just a decoration but does look and sound realy neat. Good luck with the tank. I'm sure you will love it. I will be posting here soon for a NEAD winter battleday in the snow....Stay tuned. Even if your tank is not battle ready you can run one of mine.

Bob, NEAD CO

PS Seems like you may have a Spectrum. I just reread your post. You will need to calibarte the trim end settings and servo reversing. I hope you have the manual. I run only Futaba.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43970.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	1836374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98714.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1836375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86154.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1836376  
Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 AM
aashu

Bob . Can such a button be added to Futaba ? any details ? I have futaba 6J with digital trims I can handle some programming but need some pointers.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:27 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: aashu

Bob . Can such a button be added to Futaba ? any details ? I have futaba 6J with digital trims I can handle some programming but need some pointers.
Sure...Give me a call after 8 PM tonight.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Buckeye36
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Futaba 6J works great, run through the DMD set up as normal and then in the programing adjust the end point adjustments to 125 (Ch 1&3). Then slave ch 3 to ch 5 (-100%)  in the programing, allows you to use the ch 5 switch to fire the main gun. The ch 5 switch is a 2 position toggle, you can replace it with a momentary switch or rig it with a rubberband to act as a momentary switch.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 AM
jerryrigged

I got a JR PROPO XF421 transmitter with mine. It's a 5 channel unit.

I'm kinda new to this level having only HENG LONG and TAIGEN tanks before.

It does seem like I have to do a transmitter reset.

Unfortunately I don't have the transmitter booklet. It's nice though!

Here's what I have narrowed down.

Without the transmitter on I hit the internal SW3 switch and the tank runs through it's functions. Except, no machine gun light or sound. No fault codes either.

With the transmitter on, the main gun fires in the postion that the machine gun is supposed to fire. Right trim down, Right lever down.

When I try to use it it the normal postion for the main gun (right trim up, right lever up) nothing happens.

Appreciate you guys helping out a rookie!

Old 01-04-2013, 09:23 AM
aashu

did you follow the reset process from the Tamiya booklet ? with Tx off, the sw3 switch should have atleast light up main gun (not sound) in my opinion. I still think it is radio setup issue. I will try and post the connections from mine in the evening when I get home. Hope that helps..
Old 01-04-2013, 10:16 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

The mg on my Tamiya panther is experiencing a similar issue, will try the reset!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 PM
jerryrigged

Yup the main gun works with the sw3 function check. the motor sounds work too that way. just not the macine gun.

I did have a mix up on the tx switches.

Right trim down all the way, move right lever backward, main gun fires.(when ready) (set for 9 second reload time) (supposed to fire and light machine gun)

Right trim up, move lever forward, activates gun elevation. (supposed to fire main gun)

I'm thinking I have to figure out how to reset the transmitter functions.

The left side works the way it supposed to (drive forward back and turret turning.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: jerryrigged

Yup the main gun works with the sw3 function check. the motor sounds work too that way. just not the macine gun.

I did have a mix up on the tx switches.

Right trim down all the way, move right lever backward, main gun fires.(when ready) (set for 9 second reload time) (supposed to fire and light machine gun)

Right trim up, move lever forward, activates gun elevation. (supposed to fire main gun)

I'm thinking I have to figure out how to reset the transmitter functions.

The left side works the way it supposed to (drive forward back and turret turning.
Super....We are making headway. Sorry I couldn't talk more when you called, but I was running out to a appointment. I'll call you again later.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:22 PM
jwilliams3

http://www.modelflight.com.au/manual...421_manual.pdf This should be the manual for your radio. Give it a try -JW
Old 01-05-2013, 06:15 AM
jerryrigged

EUREKA!!!!!! Thanks everyone for your input!

Apparently the inexperienced operator was the problem.

Turns out I had to cycle thru the Transmitter settings and set them all to REV. Now...evrything works great!!!! BOMB! Rat-a-tat-tat.
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2013, 09:50 AM
jerryrigged

Thanks again for all the help guys! Turns out I also had to get a new LED flash for the machine gun. No big deal. I got it from a place in germany called Axels model bau. 14 bucks and fast delivery. No check this out. I found a guy who makes "ammo crates" to put all the gear and tank in! Just got it today! Check out the pics!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62782.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1840717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10634.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1840718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85780.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1840719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp40458.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1840720  
Old 01-15-2013, 10:26 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Your carry crate/box is so cool. How much was it?
Old 01-15-2013, 06:05 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: jerryrigged

EUREKA!!!!!! Thanks everyone for your input!

Apparently the inexperienced operator was the problem.

Turns out I had to cycle thru the Transmitter settings and set them all to REV. Now...evrything works great!!!! BOMB! Rat-a-tat-tat.
Don't feel bad. That servo reverse is a common pitfall and easy to fix. That is why I recomended it early on. I'm glad it was so simple. I have also spoken with the tank box builder and I am working on deal for the NEAD guys since he is local. He may also join NEAD. Cross your fingers.

Helpful hint: The tank will be dificult to get out of the box since there is little to grip. Make a small thin rope sling (or similar device) to go around the tank in the box. Pad the box since travel will wear off the paint's edges fast if you transport them in your car much.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:48 AM
jerryrigged

Thanks for all the info guys! The tank works fine. I hadda replace the flash bulb and the turret gear. Maintenance, Maintenance Maintenance! lol

I just got a Tamiya Leo2a6. already built. An issue with the sound developed over the weekend and I have to redo some of the mistakes that the guy whop built it made with fitament. 

Does anyone know how to remove the turret or remove the bottom portion of the hull?

I want to upgrade the wheels and tracks later on so I'd like to find out how to do this for now and down the road.

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:09 AM
TheBennyB

Here's the manual from the tamiya website. I'd print it out so you have a hard copy at your work station for future maintence.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/56020ml.pdf
Old 11-26-2017, 01:19 AM
GraemeG

I found I'd been using the main lever to adjust the trim, instead of the trim lever (adjusting for unwanted gun movement). As a result I'd lost both main gun and machine gun. Checking all components by swapping out with a just started Panther kit brought me back here, and a reset with the manual. Hopefully it all works OK tomorrow!