Community
Search
Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

Return of Lunchbox..

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 09:56 AM
magic2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Return of Lunchbox..

inevitability
Old 11-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For sure.. !! If LBs are used the way they are supposed to... hee!!
Old 11-19-2012, 04:06 AM
rc-kramer

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

LOL, this is the not mini-LB!

Full size LB w/ Jugg tires.. LOL!

Anyone remember Bigfoot 4???

Old 11-21-2012, 06:07 AM
rc-kramer

Great to see this LB thread alive and kicking!! Interesting stuff with the 3D printer, would be cool to make some other cosmetic parts, like driver figures; always loved the faces of the Willys Jeeps driver!!

Well I finally decided on a paint scheme for my Lunchbox. First prepped with some 400 wet and applied a few coats of primer;

Then covered the thing with several coats of a very famous yellow (but not the actual LB colour)...

...before fitting the windows and sidepipes, etc;

So here we have, the World Exclusive, the One and Only, Camel Lunchbox!!!

Inspired by and modelled after the Lotus Honda 99T's of the 1987 F1 season, and indeed a perfect compliment to the pair of them;

I also made up a pair of rear chassis braces, with a few rod-ends I found and some remaining 3mm rod and tube;

All for now, be sure to check out my other threads : )
Old 12-13-2012, 01:26 PM
theibault

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick question. Just picked up a Lunchy, how many 5x8 and 5x11 bearings do I need and what are good oil dampers for it? Thanks!
Old 12-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Vrooom

Hiya, I am Jay from UK. i did FX10 double wishbone conversion. this is must have mod for L.B, I also have 3rd spring mods, ofcourse fully sealed bearings.

I wanted to retain the orginal front suspesion geometry and front shocks.

Here is my pictures. not 100% happy. I want to have this block made.

In the end, those are quite weak. i made new version. using block. i dont have any picture, but here is my drawing. it is quite stronger than plates version i did but.. it can break if you land too hard.

in one end of this block clip to outside arm, where the bar in 'A' meets other end is held by suspesion arm bolt. I hope you can visualise the picture.

If people are willing to make this bit out of metal,that would be grand!!!
Old 12-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Vrooom

Oh And i forgot to add. my front end geometry is
centered servo.
-1 camber.
0 degrees toe in.

it is quite sharp steering, but it lift outside rear tyre at high speed cornring. very stable and easy to drive.

I wanted to change the ackerman steering angle but cant do it with servo saver fitted.

I wanted to improve the servo steering/mount. maybe to add servo cam saver but i cant see how i can fit. (I got a spare bit from my tamiya M05)
Old 12-29-2012, 05:32 PM
DuneDaddy

Haven't posted in quite a while, at least 10 pages ago? Anywho, today my son and I completed the chassis and running gear build up of a second spare Lunch kit I bought on a whim off eBay many months ago. We are basically total newbs and have some questions that I hope someone can answer.

1. The rear wheels don't roll freely when the truck and radio are off, but they do on our other Lunch? Any idea why this is?

Many Thanks!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 PM
DuneDaddy

My son and Iwent out and played with our 'boxes the other night, sans bodies, but we had fun running around the cul-de-sac and throught the remnants of snow we got for Christmas. We got the radio sorted out, but still need to dial in the steering a little better on his truck. I'll have to try and adjust it for the third time to get rid of a pull, but other than that, all is good and smiles abound.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:02 AM
DuneDaddy

Has everyone disappeared for the Holidays?
Old 01-25-2013, 05:38 PM
Orcatkt
My Feedback: (5)

WEEEEEE!!!!!My lunchbox just went from yellow to white... then back again in just a few short degrees difference. Iam sure my wife is happy to have three RCvehicles on the kitchen counter thawing out lol.

Dunedaddy, great to hear you are enjoying your lunchie. Of the cars Ihave this one always brings the biggest smiles. That said, mine is a shelf queen almost... todays snow run was its first run outside... ever. My son was in bed when Igot home or Iwould have had his Grasshopper outside too though!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 PM
lunchie

so are there any decent tires available for the lunchie? im getting sick of getting stuck spinning the tires on ground my jrx2 can float over no worries.
would really like some tires that are like the monster beetle tires but in our size??
Old 01-28-2013, 08:47 PM
magic2002

maybe a silly question, do yoy have your tires mounted the right way? just asking because if they are on the wrong way, my LB and WW both have very poor grip..
Old 01-29-2013, 05:54 AM
rc-kramer

Viewed from the front, the "V" of the tyre pattern should point down...

If you think about it, the tread pattern is designed to dispell mud and water from the centre of the tyre to the inner and outer edges as is rotates forward.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:02 AM
rc-kramer

Just catching up on the last few posts since my last one, I took my nicely painted Camel "Lunchie" out for a spin the other day, just up at the local school. Managed to flip the thing onto its roof (not difficult) and scuff the paintwork all along sone side of the roof!!

AHH well, what are these things for if not to have fun with...? Just it's not too much fun to see all your hard work and effort ruined within a split second. Lucky I have some of the correct paint left over, and I think after this touch-up job it will remain a Shelf Queen!! Even with all the modifications I've done, 3rd rear shock, oil shocks all round, upper wishbone front suspension, etc, the 'Box still doesn't "handle"...!! Not like my F1's anyway.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 AM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

@Kramer
You may need two Lunchboxes. A pretty one, and one to use
Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 AM
rc-kramer

Lol, thought about it, but I prefer to run my DT-02 cahssis; I've only put it to one side for now because the rear tyres are shot (again) and I'm saving up to order a set of Carsons from the UK... In fact, since the gearbox broke on it and I subsequently fixed it, I actually have more spares to build a 2nd one!! All I need is the bathtub, front end mouldings and a set of wheels (which I'll have when the Carsons arrive), so tempted to do that... The Camel Lunchie is more of a companion for the pair of Lotus 99T's I have, if you've seen my previous posts you will know!!

I have found replacement ABS Lunchbox bodies though, so could just do that...
Old 01-30-2013, 03:09 AM
Orcatkt
My Feedback: (5)

The two lunchbox idea is one that Ihave thought of... and my wife didn't like... ah well, time to start building a collection of old schoolers anyway. Not worried about resale or anything, just want to collect some of the ones Iwished I could have had as a kid back in the 80's, re-res are perfect for that goal! Trying to get my kids hooked too, first RCis a grasshopper... second is up to him to save for.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:42 AM
rc-kramer

I like your philosophy, on both the classic collection front (I'm doing the same with Senna's F1 cars) and getting your kid to learn to save for his own!! : )
Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 AM
Lunchboxer

LB black edition..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49605.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1846454  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:06 PM
lunchie

WHY ARE WHEELS SO HARD TO FIND??
IVE TRIED LOOKING FOR BLACKFOOT/BEETLE WHEELS AND THERES NOT MUCH OUT THERE. CRAZY HOW YOU CAN BUY KITS new BUT THE PARTS ARE UNAVAILABLE!!!
I dont really like the look of the HPI SS wheels but it looks like thats about all thats available...i really like the revolver wheels but NOONE can tell me if they fit the rears or een which part number to use as there are about 6 different ones.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Lunchboxer

You can always try the TamiyaUSA website to see if the parts are available directly (don't think they ship oversea, however).. they also have manual online so you can check to see if things would fit, etc.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 PM
lunchie

ok so the 2.2" hex wheel situation is driving me mad.
i have hatched a plan to make the hex wheels fit the lunchbox (or other tamiya 2WD front such as original Blackfoot/beetle) a arms with little modification. my plan is to get Kyosho Ultima SC axles or blackfoot extreme front axles.
the i'll use some junfac or DT02 alloy front knucles and drill them out to fit some 850 ball bearings in there and use the kyosho or BFE axles. the smaller 850 bearings will allow the a arms to be only lightly modified by possibly drilling the holes out a bit to allow screws to be used top and bottom to secure the alloy knuckle to the a arm, instead of the through bolt normally used.

my only worry is the strength of the 850 bearings holding up to the punishment

sound like a plan?
Old 02-06-2013, 02:28 AM
rc-kramer

Lunchie, check eBay, there are plenty of parts available on there and most of them ship overseas (most of it comes from Hong Kong; never had any problems...)

Don't bother with TamiyaUSA, it must be one of the worst websites I've come across for parts availability. There are some good articles and sometimes useful for checking a part number, but most of the time the part is listed as discontinued or out of stock, and rarely has a picture to confirm that is what you're after!!

So yeah, eBay is your bsst bet.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:19 AM
Lunchboxer

The new Farm King uses hex wheel setup up front.. take a look at the pic of the chassis.. I wonder if you can use that knuckle setup for your application...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35082.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1848761  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.