Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Another great weekend at Fentress NALF

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Another great weekend at Fentress NALF

Old 05-31-2005, 10:53 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another great weekend at Fentress NALF

We had another great weekend of flying at Fentress. There were 34 registered pilots who were all top notch guys. No crashes, no complaints, no waiting to fly. We started flying on Friday evening at 5:00 and flew until dark. Saturday the flying began at around 8:30 and continued until you couldn't see anymore. One of the locals (Jack Smith) logged 17 flights for both Sat. and Sun. The Malchiones were there and kept me and Frank jr very happy feeding us Mama Malchiones roasted pepper sandwiches, Man! Do I miss that kind of cooking. Robert Vess flew his King cat so many times, I don't think it had a chance to cool. Mike Amos demo'ed his Gripen which flew very well. Robert Vess took the Pilot's Choice with his King cat, Dave Malchione took Best Military for his F-100, Best Jet Performance went to Tony Masiello with his King cat, Best Finish went to Jaime Snipes once again for his King cat, Best Sport went to Anthony Weincek for his Maverick Pro, and Best Electric went to Richard Boyington for his Hobby Lobby Mig-15. Dave Malchione jr. won the JPO Top Gun award for this event, Dave jr. is such a natural, Joey Templeton flew his stingray which is the coolest little turbine you can imagine, you could almost fit this airplane in your glove compartment. I would also like to thank RC Pete for making the trip from Ontario, 2 years in a row! Kodie Masiello got the cool doggy award.

I would like to give thanks to the crew that was there to make this year's event a success, George Delmoral, Mike Amos, Joey Templeton, Todd Witkoff, Richard Boyington, Alex Gauss, and my own personal watchdog, Frank jr. HE IS TOTAL CROWD CONTROL!

I would like to thank you all once again, see you next year.
Frank A Rega
Old 05-31-2005, 11:06 AM
BeanerECMO
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Another great weekend at Fentress NALF

Used to bounce A-6s and EA-6Bs there for quals prior to going to the carrier. They were always great times at Fentress - the sound of freedom (and protection).
Old 05-31-2005, 11:48 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Frank sorry I missed it this year. I might come down one weekend this summer to visit my sister and will bring my jet. The wife is doing better after the fall and starts physical therapy on thursday.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:08 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the great event Frank and crew, Louie and I enjoyed it again this year!

I'm happy to report that W survived his decapitation after ejecting at show center on Sunday (there doesn't seem to be anything in his head anyway that I could see ). A few hours work and some new plexiglass from Composite-Arf and the Euro will be ready again.

Ron, let me know what weekend you go and maybe we'll join you. Scott Strimple couldn't make it because of work and he was talking about making an independent trip down to Fentress to fly later in the summer too...

Bob
Old 05-31-2005, 12:46 PM
airega1

It was great to have you Bob, and we missed you Ron, I hope your wife is doing OK. If you guys are serious about coming down some weekend let me know, my home phone is (757) 479-4905-- Fentress is (757) 433-2259 at least call to make sure the field will be open to R/C flying that weekend.

Frank
Old 05-31-2005, 02:01 PM
RobertV

Frank,

I must say that you guys made it very easy for all the pilots to enjoy themselves: a great site, excellent event coordination, fantastic weather, fun folks, and a casual atmosphere. I couldn't get enough of the flying!

Thanks to you and your crew for all the hard work..........

We'll see you again!

Robert Vess
Team JR
Old 05-31-2005, 04:02 PM
Eddie Lozano

Thanks again Frank for the wonderful jet weekend you provided us at Fentress. Always looking forward to the next one.
Sunday afternoon was the most enjoyable for me and my son. We had the entire airspace for my BSJ.
We also might drop by on a Sunday for a fun flying. Of course I'll call first.

BRG,
Eddie Lozano
Old 05-31-2005, 04:27 PM
wooden shoes
My Feedback: (10)

HI FRANK
THANKS FOR A GREAT MEET AGAIN. MY THRILL WAS OF COURSE TO SEE MY T-33 FLY AND FLY WELL EXCEPT FOR THE ROTOR IN THE DEVIL'S CORNER. THE DAMAGE HAS ALREADY BEEN FIXED. THE ONLY THING MISSING AFTER THE HARD LANDING IS ONE BRAKE HUB. IF ANYBODY COULD GO AND LOOK FOR IT I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT. LET ME KNOW.
THANKS
ED REINTS
Old 05-31-2005, 04:29 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

frank, my son and I also had a great time, we are already making plans for next year.

other then flying, i did get to meet alot of other rcu members i have talked with for a few years.

i dont think i could have found a bigger field to fly my facet at, nice field and a bunch of great guys

see you soon

mark
Old 05-31-2005, 04:40 PM
airega1

Hi Ed, I will look for the hub this week
Old 05-31-2005, 04:58 PM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

frank it was great to see you and frank jr
on saturday take care
vinny
Old 05-31-2005, 05:36 PM
jsnipes
My Feedback: (3)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Frank ... thanks for putting on another great event. All the guys from Raleigh had a great time. See you next year!

Jamie
Old 05-31-2005, 07:12 PM
airega1

Yo Vinny, sorry for leaving you out of my original post, I would like to thank you for those awesome pics you took. Hope to see you next year.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:35 PM
lov2flyrc

Another fantastic meet Frank....!!! Big thanks for making the trip every year worth while Great to see you and Frank JR and I look forward to next year...
Warmest regards,
Todd
Old 06-02-2005, 06:29 AM
airega1

One last note worth mentioning, keep your eyes open for Eddie Lozano's BSJ It flew beautifully and seemed rock solid in all manuevers. As far as Todd's mishap, there was very minor damage. The F-5 flew very good and looked awesome flying by, I hope he brings it back next year.

Frank
Old 01-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Captain Terrific
My Feedback: (2)

Is Fentress open to RC again? I've heard it was going to re-open to RC this year.

Dave
Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 AM
rhklenke

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

ORIGINAL: Captain Terrific

Is Fentress open to RC again? I've heard it was going to re-open to RC this year.

Dave
Good question. I think that George had told me that it was scheduled for completion in October/November of last year? Maybe George knows the status?

Bob
Old 01-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Jetdktr
My Feedback: (21)

I sure hope Fentress opens back up for general flying (for the local flyers) and hopefully a jet rally in the very near future. Frank and his crew always did an outstanding job. The Maryland guys (Ron,Jimmie,Harold,Bob, and of course Buddy from Delaware) will be there whenever it should come back. Keep us posted
Jimmie
Old 01-03-2013, 12:49 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I heard Fentress is now open (for ops), but not for RC yet. I'm waiting to hear more news at this time.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:34 PM
George

I just heard back from Frank; and it looks like the Rocket guys are back, so we shouldn't be far behind. I guess we need to start a whole new dialog with the new principles now and implement the old "rules", as it has been awhile since RC has been flown there and everyone that knew us and about us are now gone. Frank is getting some contact info. so hopefully we can get the ball rolling to allow us to fly RC there again.

I hope it's soon, I have two new planes I need to maiden before FJ!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Ron Stahl

Great new! Maybe you guys could show them the AMA info from when the NATS were there and pictures from BV website of past events.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:58 PM
FlyinTiger
My Feedback: (45)

Take them out to the taxi way where the RC information is posted on a board, with the small wind sock and other RC stuff...it was only shut down to RC for the runway resurfacing, right?

I'm looking forward to flying at Fentress as I'll only be on the East Coast long enough to get in a few flights this Spring before moving back to California. Always a great group out at Fentress! Please keep us posted...
Old 01-26-2013, 05:29 AM
George

It's looks like Fentress will be open to RC flying within about two weeks. There are a few hoops we may have to jump through, but shouldn't be anything that bad. I'll update when I know more.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:24 AM
Ron Stahl

This is great news even if we never have another fly inn there. It was a great place to fly and I have many memories there from over several decades.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:21 PM
George

Ron,

We'll have an informal meet one day!