Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

replacing old nicads, but what with?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

replacing old nicads, but what with?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 02:34 AM
Keith 65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing old nicads, but what with?

hi. i need to replace the old nicads in my reciever packs in my planes after a number of yeares lay up.

i see the batteries have changed some since i last bought any,and nicads seem to be very much out of fashon these days plus more expensive
can some tell me the best replacements i can use to replace 4.8 1100 mah, plus the tx pack
My charging equipment is mainly set up for nicads obviously but i have a pro peak fast charger that will charge most batteries of 7 years ago ie nicad , nmh, etc.
wondered if there was a simple replacement that i can use that will still allow the use of these chargers.
the radio im running is still an ols 35meg futaba FF6 .

regards keith
Old 12-31-2012, 04:18 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: replacing old nicads, but what with?

Check out the Eneloops (the newer version using the Nickle Metal Hydride with very low self discharge) made by Sanyo. They make excellent transmitter batteries (all the advantage of LiPo's with none of the disadvantages). Depending on peak current requirements of your receiver set up, they can also be used for the airborne part. These let you use your present NiCad charger with no modifications. You may want to also check out LiFe and/or LiPo for some applications but realize that you must also then procure new chargers as the charging regime is much more complicated and, if not proper, can result in damaged batteries or even a fire when using LiPo's.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:38 AM
Keith 65

are eneloops similar to Nimh batteries as i know these can be charged similar to nicads

All of my onboard batteries are 4.8v as im still on the old 35 meg recievers i have to be reasonably carefull on there output voltages, think the average servo max's out at 6 volts

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...d.asp?id=36286
http://www.overlander.co.uk/batterie...v-rx-flat.html

Looking at our local model shop supplies these look very similar if not the same as overlanders enloop batteries
Old 12-31-2012, 07:16 AM
Goldenduff

I believe eneloops are nimh but better...

NBS batteries has a lot of good info on batteries. They say not to use as receiver as mentioned current draw tends to exceed their discharge ability.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:44 AM
Keith 65

ORIGINAL: Goldenduff

I believe eneloops are nimh but better...

NBS batteries has a lot of good info on batteries. They say not to use as receiver as mentioned current draw tends to exceed their discharge ability.

i cant seem to find NBS batteries have you a link by chance?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:23 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They might push your max V a bit but I have made the change to Life for my stuff that needs upgrade. So far I'm happy with them.

ps. no voltage reg, my Rx is fine with 6.5v
Old 12-31-2012, 01:20 PM
Rodney

In all cases I can think of, NiMh and NiCad batteries are direct replacements for each other as the voltage per cell is essentially identical. If your servos can live with x number of NiCad cells, they can live as well with x numbers of the NiMh cells.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:30 PM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

keith: NOBS battery site. I have been happy with my battery purchases here.

http://www.hangtimes.com/index.html

Brian
Old 12-31-2012, 04:24 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a $30 charger and $5 life packs from Hobbyking and come into the modern world.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:08 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

NiCd packs are still available. A rx pack is about $12, a Tx pack is about $24. The 700 mAh Sanyo NiCd cells are bulletproof and will last many years. NiMH and LiFe are excellent alternatives. They give you more capacity, which may or may not be something you care about. Both are arguably less robust than the old tried and true NiCd technology.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:07 PM
Checklst

There is a lot to consider but the NOBS site and Reds site will keep the BS down for sure. With me it is about how I fly and what planes I fly......my style and planes are not all that weight sensitive...............My new 88" Yak is on 2 1900ma Nicad with a third 1600man Nicad 6volt all feeding the receiver..........the ignition is on an IBEC. The plane still weights only 17LB 2oz. and these cads have low impedance........ running triples cads on heavy wire with short runs and good switches.

I went old school on this Yak due to its heavy tail.......I would have used NoBS twin 123 packs set up buy I would have to add 3/4 lb lead up on the fire wall(did I mention I hate bolting lead to a plane).

No matter what battery you choose buy good Batterys, charger/cyclers,......form the batts right on the first charge, run a discharge graph chart on them new and compare this to your graph you run............at the start of every season................store you batts during the off season right, and no matter what check them with a loaded meter before each and every flight!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have never had lost plane to a battery failer in 30 years....I have always used duel batts/switches and a loaded meter.

I can due enough damage with my stupid thumbs......Battery,and mechanical failer is easy to find and fix before it causes you a headache....if one takes the time.

JMO
Old 01-01-2013, 05:13 AM
Keith 65

having looked up the voltage limits of the servo's i have fitted it looks like i am limited to 4.8 . but it does look like any future build i do i will go for a more up to date power supply and buy the servo's acordingly, but for the time being think i will stick with some new nicad packs for the old stuff.

thanks for the links you guys have supplied, will give me plenty to read up on.

keith
Old 01-01-2013, 08:54 AM
JPMacG

Sanyo cells are by most accounts the best NiCds. The 600 mAh and 700 mAh AA size Sanyos will last many years. The 1100 mAh AA sized Sanyos seem to go bad after only 2 or 3 years. Rx and Tx packs made from Sanyos are available from lots of RC suppliers.... NoBS, Tower Hobbies, RadicalRC, etc, etc.

As mentioned above, Red's information is excellent.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Four Stroker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As Red himself said, NiCD cells are dead after 7 years if you have used them or not. Many famous RC suppliers get surplus cells that are crap precisely because they are near or over 7 years old. I have replaced ancient TX packs with Eneloops and RX packs with A123. NoBS has relatively fresh cells and that is why they have a small selection compared to others. Get a big linear regulator like the Fromeco Sahara if you have old 5 volt servos.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Rodney

In some 40+ years in RC, I have found that NiCads are superior to NiMh in all respects except capacity versus mass. They are more rugged, take abuse better, will last years if properly maintained (I have some that have served well over 10 years), have lower internal impedance etc. They have two disadvantages over NiMh; larger (more mass) for equivalent capacity and must be properly disposed of when you are done with them (hazardous waste).
Old 01-03-2013, 08:40 AM
Cougar-RCU

Just did the same thing. replace all my stuff with the LiFe battery's LOVE THEM !!

All my stuff is now 6 volts. they seem to last a long time in flight. way better
then my Ni-Cd's ever did. Good luck on what you decide.
Jeff
Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 AM
P-40 DRIVER

No BS batteries has enough info to answer all your questions, I have flown Nicads and LiFe batteries, both work and both have their advantages and disadvantages. It comes down to personal choice in the end. I really have no love for NiMh batteries though.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:56 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

A lot of us traded our model 12 Winchester shotguns off when the newer swoopier models came out. And how much every one of us wishes we had the model 12s back. Just because the technology is older doesn't necessarily mean it isn't good. Nicads have a lot going for them still.