Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM 50cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 11:16 AM
wphilb
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ESM 50cc Corsair

Can I ask what Robart charged??

Why not use a separate battery? Or a dual system like NoBS batteries recommends (Hangtimes Hobbies.com) I run dual A123s and dual switches, spreads the load and keeps voltage up with digital servos. The Smartfly systems are also a great way to go though, I've heard only good things about them.

Whit
Old 12-23-2012, 11:21 AM
youmanskids

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-23-2012, 11:23 AM
youmanskids

trying to post pics,  little help?
Old 12-23-2012, 11:34 AM
youmanskids

I found them here http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/rob/rob148-e.htm $450 with free shipping,your power system sounds sounds similar to mine, I am using duel 2200 mAh NiMH 6v batts with seperate wires and switches into the reciever- sounds like it should be ok . have you had any issues?
Old 12-23-2012, 11:45 AM
captainron

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roger,
NO worries man.......wtih a 4000 mah, you should have plenty of juice to handle all the accessories. I use a LeFe 6.6v 2100 mah and don't worry about it all. I use a 2500 mah nickel metal on the ign. I'm gonna run the electric Robarts off the Rx battery.

CAPTAIN RON
Robart charged me 329.00 to convert them to electric and they built me a flange to widen the frame so it fits in the Cosair wheel well...
Old 12-23-2012, 12:09 PM
youmanskids

good news! thanks Cap'n, I'm planning to modify the wheel well and rails to make them fit right, I need them in hand to see what I need to do. thanks

here are some pics of the build, they are in my gallery also if you want to see them all.

not sure if its working, just check out the gallery....
Old 12-23-2012, 12:42 PM
captainron

Roger, it's working.........Thanks for the pics

LOVE THE EXHAUST..........Creative and quality work. That's what it takes to make an ARF your own.

CAPTAIN RON
Old 12-23-2012, 01:32 PM
stoat

Nice work! Gonna have to do my exhausts like that too. Silver solder will solve the melting problem - gasser exhaust runs way hotter than glow.

Still haven't done the weathering to the bottom yet so no vid - sorry. Been away in Papua New Guinea and just got back. Also had the prop driver on the 111 split so the 'horse was out of action for a while. Point to note guys! If you have a DLE motor, its worth taking the prop driver off and checking it for cracks, then putting it back on with locktite.

So I'm finally back in the air but landed long and knocked a gear door off in the long grass yesterday. This bloody wind wont quit here. It sux! Will get it on the bench today and fix it up. Hoping to have a good session on Thursday!

Merry Christmas guys! Been a fun year all up. May next year be even better!

Cheers'
Brett
Old 12-23-2012, 04:17 PM
bignuts181

ORIGINAL: youmanskids

I hear ya, but that should be enough time, and in a true emergency, like a take-off flame-out, I'd be better off with a belly landing because our airstrip is surrounded by a plowed field and would rip out my gear (which I have done before on smaller planes).
And Retracts birng up another question, do you guys use a ''smart-fly'' type power expander ? I'm a bit worried that during the lading approach, the power drain from the retracts, flaps, and the high torque control surface servos all together may drag the 4000 mAh reciever batter down to the ''Brown Out'' level. that would be BAD! what do you think?
Your on the money smartly sport expander is all you need.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:52 PM
youmanskids

ORIGINAL: captainron

Roger, it's working.........Thanks for the pics

LOVE THE EXHAUST..........Creative and quality work. That's what it takes to make an ARF your own.

CAPTAIN RON
Thanks man, but without creativity and work this "ARF" would never come together, this is no ARF, more like a NECTF ("not even close to fly") but fun to build!
I'm going to try to braze the copper fittings, never done it but how hard could it be ...

Thanks again for all you guys help. I'll post agian when I get some more done. Roger
Old 12-25-2012, 05:10 PM
patfairlane
My Feedback: (170)

I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR MORE ABOUT YOUR INTERNAL AILERON SERVO....THIS IS ONE OF THE LAST THINGS I NEED TO DO TO THIS CORSAIR...I HAVE NEVER BUILT MORE THAN A ARF TO THE FINISHING STAGE...I FEEL LIKE I HAVE TAKEN (OR STOLEN ) SOME OF THE BEST IDEAS FROM ALL OF YA'LL...SERVOS IN THE ELEVATORS -BOLT ON TAIL-DLE-111-ROBART ELECTRIC RETRACTS ALL AROUND- TY'S COCKPIT-HEAD TURNING PILOT-SLIDING CANOPY...DO YOU HAVE A PICTURE OF THE AILERONS ?...I CAN ONLY PICTURE IN MY MIND THAT IT MIGHT BE A CONE SHAPED RECEIVER IN THE AILERON TO GIVE THE CORRECT DEFLECTION...THIS WILL BE MY THIRD SEASON FLYING....WITH THAT SAID,I DO NOT THINK I COULD HAVE BUILT THIS PLANE WITHOUT YA'LLS HELP...THANKS TO ALL OF YOU, AND MERRY CHRISTMAS....
Old 12-26-2012, 11:39 AM
stoat

Google "RDS servo ". Click on images and its all explained there for you. You can buy commercial systems or make your own.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:19 PM
youmanskids

yep, thats it, I used the set up from irfmachineworks.com, it was about $35 for both ailerons. as for reliability.... ask me agian next year and I'll let you know, but it looks pretty slick. I had to fabricate servo mounts inside the wing from rib to rib thru the servo bay opening, only took 2 evenings. there are some pics of them in my gallery. the steel shafts come straight off the servo output splines. the shaft exits the trailing edge, thenbends 35 deg at the hinge line. this bent end fits into a "pocket" which is imbedded into the front edge of the aileron ( it is a "slot" piece made from thin sheets of formica (countertop material), this gives a smooth and hard surface for the end of the shaft to rotate in, results in deflecting the control surface up and down. hope that makes sense. Roger
Old 12-26-2012, 06:22 PM
patfairlane
My Feedback: (170)

THANKS TOAST AND RODGER.....I WILL PRACTICE ON ANOTHER PLANE TO SEE HOW I LIKE...WITH THIS WEATHER ,I WILL HAVE PLENTY OF TIME TO FINISH...I WOULD BET THAT THE HANDFULL OF YOU GENTS THAT ARE POSTING THIS INFO,THERE ARE 5 TIMES AS MANY LIKE MYSELF THAT ARE BUILDING WITH YOU....KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK..

Old 01-02-2013, 09:02 AM
youmanskids

Got my Robart electric main gear and tailwheel in last weekend.   had to modify the mount by adding wood to narrow the mounting area (robarts are thinner) and extended the length of the strut by 1 inch ( see page 17 of this thread- by kwik ... thank you very much) but they look like they are going to work great.  I'm planning to use the stock foam wheels for now ( $160 for two aluminum wheels is a bit steep)  They retract far enough for good gear door clearance.  I am using a standard servo for the tailwheel, mounted up front in the servo tray to aid in avoiding nose weight if possible.  Ill need to reroute the pull-pull steering cable runs a bit higher, not sure why they put them so low.   next are the gear doors.. hope it goes as smoothly.  Roger
Old 01-02-2013, 09:18 AM
higharc

Robart now lists the modified retracts for the ESM 85" Corsair with a video for mounting.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:58 AM
youmanskids

ORIGINAL: higharc

Robart now lists the modified retracts for the ESM 85" Corsair with a video for mounting.
Too late! I wish I had known about that 3 wks ago, oh well, they seem to work well with the above mentioned mods.

I am having difficulty with the door sequencer (ESM brand, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCJE1&P=FR) .... the gear are so slow that the max delay on the doors (10 sec)is not quite enough, and they close too soon. .. even at 8.4V lipo. any ideas? I triedslowing the servo speed at the transmitter side, this only delays the initiation of the cycle. any other sequencer out there that is more adjustable and works with these electric robarts? Roger
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 AM
mmflytie
My Feedback: (1)

Down and Locked sequencer Good website and great guys to deal with. It takes a lot of fussing with but eventually I got mine the way I wanted.

Marc
Old 01-03-2013, 11:19 AM
mrbee
My Feedback: (2)

nice job on the cocpit , go with the dle 55

Old 01-03-2013, 12:53 PM
youmanskids

Thanks Marc, I've sent them an e-mail. I sure apreciate all the help on this thread! roger
Old 01-03-2013, 02:35 PM
alfa1023
My Feedback: (5)

Heh Guys,

If anyone is considering buying this plane, absolutely go with the Robart retracts versus the ESM retracts. As previously posted, my ESM retracts had developed enough side-to-side slop that it was making ground handling a major issue. I have a bunch of flights on the Robarts now, with many less than perfect landings (strong crosswinds today, so landing on one wheel first with serious side loads) and have no side play or any other issues. I have the air retracts, so can't comment on the electric setup.

Mounting the Robarts did require a mod or two, but nothing major - a few hours work at most.

BTW - if anyone is interested in buying my ESM retracts (whether for parts or to try and fix them), send me a PM. Will make you a good deal.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:17 PM
stoat

ORIGINAL: alfa1023

Heh Guys,

If anyone is considering buying this plane, absolutely go with the Robart retracts versus the ESM retracts. As previously posted, my ESM retracts had developed enough side-to-side slop that it was making ground handling a major issue. I have a bunch of flights on the Robarts now, with many less than perfect landings (strong crosswinds today, so landing on one wheel first with serious side loads) and have no side play or any other issues. I have the air retracts, so can't comment on the electric setup.

Mounting the Robarts did require a mod or two, but nothing major - a few hours work at most.

BTW - if anyone is interested in buying my ESM retracts (whether for parts or to try and fix them), send me a PM. Will make you a good deal.
Yep, although I have had sterling service from my ESM retracts, they did require major modification. The Robart ones sound way better. Both require work of some sort.
I do like the chunky look of the ESM versions though....
Old 01-04-2013, 04:53 AM
alfa1023
My Feedback: (5)

I agree that the ESM retracts definitely look the part. If only there was someway to get the best of both worlds.

Forgot to mention two other points about the Robarts. They have a positive lock in the up position, so no issue with sagging in high G turns. And the other thing I found is they will operate at a much lower air pressure - seems like my ESM's had to have at least 100psi to go up and stay up firm. The Robarts go up strong right up until my failsafe (set at 50psi) kicks in and keeps them down.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:38 AM
captainron

ROBART ELECTRICS..........is the answer. I'm still working out the kinks, but I really believe this is the way to go. Stay tuned....!!!!

JUST SAYIN

CAPTAIN RON
Old 01-04-2013, 11:25 AM
stoat

Yep, Ron has the right idea. In another 5 years you will be hard pressed to even buy air retracts. they will all be electric. So much easier!
ESM is offering electric versions for theirs but I havent seen them yet and I gather they are still too slow (nice one ESM! - again, not hard to get right first time round, but they managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.