Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

aileron servo tray

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

aileron servo tray

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 PM
tlojak38
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aileron servo tray

Hello. I'm converting a single servo aileron setup to a dual servo. I went to the lhs and he gave me two Jr aileron servo trays. I've never done this before, so my question is, how do I mount them? There is a hole in each corner, so do I screw them in, or glue them? Also, when I put them in, should the body of the servo be flush with the wing, or recessed? Lots of questions. Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:00 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: aileron servo tray

You could mount the aileron servo trays with screws onto a couple of wood beams which are glued between two ribs in the wing. But what I like to do is make a servo hatch. The servo is mounted to two wood blocks which are glued to a square of thin plywood. Then the hatch is mounted flush with screws into a frame (again thin plywood). The frame is glued to beams in between two ribs. The servo arm is the only thing protruding out of the hatch for a neat installation. I've included a drawing of what I'm talking about...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34732.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	1836629  
Old 01-04-2013, 04:47 AM
airbusdrvr

Ho2zoo's description is great. Alternatively you can mount them vertically so the top of the servo is exposed. Either way you will need hard wood or ply glued between the ribs for fastening the servo. I don't see the need for servo trays in a wing installation.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:51 AM
tlojak38

Just looking to make my life a little easier. I bought this plane thinking it was in a lot better condition than it was. And, put a lot of work into giving this bird new life. Thought just this one time I could make things easier. I was fully prepaired to build my own mounts, but decided to roll the dice and ask the lhs if such a thing as a pre made aileron servo mount existed, and it did!. I will reinforce the mount area with ply, and probably glue and screw, an overkill I'm sure, but that's me. I tend to overkill so I'm sure it wasn't me to blame if something goes wrong. You know what they say about an ounce of prevention...
Old 01-04-2013, 06:02 AM
kenh3497

Here is another thread on the subject. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11353595/tm.htm

Ken
Old 01-04-2013, 06:39 AM
tlojak38

Thanks ken. Good reading, he's going for some major reinforcement! I don't think I need such a thing, but he's got some good ideas about how he's going to mount them. I'll keep all this handy as I get ready to mount these. Thanks for all the valuable info.