Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

FPV Fat Shark mounted in Sherman

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

FPV Fat Shark mounted in Sherman

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:10 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default FPV Fat Shark mounted in Sherman

My Wife bought me a Fat Shark FPV camera. transmitter and LCD goggles for Christmas.

Today I mounted them in the Metal M4A3 Sherman. It is a nice compact unit, and installing it was pretty painless.

I was running it around on the driveway today, and it was a blast. With some earbuds plugged into the goggles it also broadcasts sound back to you. I could hear the Ford V8 screaming wherever I went. To be "on board" when it barks as you decelerate was really cool.

The goggles block out all vison except what you get from the camera on the tank. I can see this being a lot of fun if you had a couple of teams of tanks battling FPV.

The camera and bracket are easily removed and stored in the turret when not in use.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72244.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	1836344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77800.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1836345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96547.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1836346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy72604.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1836347  
Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 PM
tsull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FPV Fat Shark mounted in Sherman

Very, very cool!
I've been researching the FPV systems and the micro cameras. A soon to be project will be designing a new Apple which will incorporate David's electronics for his sensor and a fixed wide angle camera on top within the Apple. I'll mount the LED's as one unit on top of the Apple.
If I can place a second camera in the gunner' s site port and synchronize the barrels up and down elevation with the camera, I will be able to switch cameras by using a video switcher that is controlled by the "flap" control on my TX (it's really neat to switch like that).
That way, I have an integrated Battle Apple with camera and the ability to command the tank from the Commander's perspective and immediately switch to the gunners view for the shot.
Now, if I can incorporate a "siting" gauge on the gunners view, how incredible!
The technology is there. Just a matter of designing the physical system.
This would completely change Tanking and tank battles.
I'm not certain if best to use a complete immersion system like FatShark or "glasses" that also provide a visual view.
Time to experiment if my budget allows it.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:19 PM
reyemmanuel

ORIGINAL: YHR

My Wife bought me a Fat Shark FPV camera. transmitter and LCD goggles for Christmas.

Today I mounted them in the Metal M4A3 Sherman. It is a nice compact unit, and installing it was pretty painless.

I was running it around on the driveway today, and it was a blast. With some earbuds plugged into the goggles it also broadcasts sound back to you. I could hear the Ford V8 screaming wherever I went. To be "on board" when it barks as you decelerate was really cool.

The goggles block out all vison except what you get from the camera on the tank. I can see this being a lot of fun if you had a couple of teams of tanks battling FPV.

The camera and bracket are easily removed and stored in the turret when not in use.

Way too cool man!!! Vision and sound immersion at bestCan't wait for you to show us a video of how cool it gets
Old 01-02-2013, 11:36 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks sweet Dan. You must have been on Santa's nice list. Either that, or you wife is spoiling you. Any RF issues with the radio? I hope to see you running it at Danville soon. I linked my HD Camera to the barrel so it can tilt and pan. It may be simple to do on your M4. A few ball connectors and a shaped connecting rod and yo are all set. Now just get some video on Youtube for all of us to enjoy.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 AM
YHR

I am running a 2.4 Ghz system, and there is zero issues for interference. The view area of the camera is not bad.. Better then looking through a periscope. I found it to be very similar to running a tank in RO Darkest Hour. Picking up the sound and transmitting it back to the ear piece is very nice. You know at Dnaivlle how all those tanks running together produces quite a din. This tunes you to your tank.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:38 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I want them to be cheaperrrr!!!

Does anyone know by chance if they sell "mounts" so you can use the same camera on several tanks, without too much effort?
Old 01-03-2013, 05:50 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I must see a video of this to be completely convinced.

I think mounting one in the drivers hatch of the T34 would be the most concealed place, and easily buttoned up too. It sticking out on top of the turret is almost as terrible as the Battle Apple mounted there.

But, I need to see the performance of the system first? Do you think your production guys can swing a video for us?

~ Jeff
Old 01-03-2013, 05:51 AM
siam

I 've seen this ....in Hobby King. It's about 16 us.dollars.

Name:	Sq46316.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1836383  
Old 01-03-2013, 05:53 AM
Panther F

ORIGINAL: siam

I 've seen this ....in Hobby King. It's about 16 us.dollars.

Do you have the link?

~ Jeff
Old 01-03-2013, 06:57 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...complete_.html

Cheers
Wade
Old 01-03-2013, 07:05 AM
Panther F

Thanks Wade! You're on top of things!

Now, instead of attaching this thing to your head, will it work with a monitor too? Does it include the receiver electronics?

~ Jeff
Old 01-03-2013, 07:19 AM
YHR

ORIGINAL: Panther F

I must see a video of this to be completely convinced.

I think mounting one in the drivers hatch of the T34 would be the most concealed place, and easily buttoned up too. It sticking out on top of the turret is almost as terrible as the Battle Apple mounted there.

But, I need to see the performance of the system first? Do you think your production guys can swing a video for us?

~ Jeff

Yes it is ungainly. A trade off to have it easily movable between tanks. Like you, I thought it was about as bad as an apple. Although you could say it was Allied IR equipment I also wanted it on the turret so I could rotate my view 360 degrees wiith the turret, When it is not in use the whole mount and camera is removed and placed inside the turret out of view.

This device does not have the ability to record video. I need to buy a base station that will allow me to take the feed and record it.

Strat50. I made this camera mount out of styrene. Took me less then 10 minutes and was built with scrap sytrene card., The field of vision I am guessing is in the 100-120 degree ranges, so it is actually not too bad. A little fisheye in the hallway in the house, but in the great outdoors it is hardly noticible.

These units are small enough where you could mount two in a tank. A driver and a commander working together. This set up, cost what high end sound system used to cost, and can be had for under $300. Again not something you want in every tank, but kind of cool to have in one.

My whole thought process on tanks has changed over the years. I used to have each tank fully equipped, However I discovered that is a large investment in electronics sitting on the shelf collecting dust most of the time. That is why I started using "Electonic Packages" I only have a few tanks with permenantly mounted electronics. The rest are all sitting with Stock RX18's in them with all the IR stuff run( Mount for an apple, Flash LED and IR LED). When I want to use them it takes me five minutes to add an electronics board that has the 2.4 gHz receiver and DBC3/Benedini. Plug everything in and I have a fully functioning 2.4 Ghz, Battle ready tank with sound. This whole exercise takes less then 10 minutes, and that includes installing a fresh battery.

THis complete system can be moved very easily. All you need to do is plug in the 3 wire control cable from the RX 18 and plug in a speaker to the Benedini. Plug in the IR emitter, flash and TBU, and the conversion is complete.

I am thinking along the same lines for this video equipment as well. As long as I can find the wiring harness between the Camera and the Video transmitter this should work well. I could run this harness in every tank. Then when I want to use video, I just have to plug in the camera on one end and the transmitter on the other. There are two electrical boards with this video set up. Both of these could be mounted on a styrene card, and be moved around just as easy. All you have to do is buy the wiring harness, and have it run in every tank so you could eaily plug all this stuff in an tank you wanted. So you invest $300 in the set up, and move it around as you want.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:29 AM
YHR

Now, instead of attaching this thing to your head, will it work with a monitor too? Does it include the receiver electronics?

~ Jeff

The Glasses are them most expensive thing in this set up. If you just wanted to broadcast back to a monitor, you could have this set up for about $200. A host base station is less then $100, and this allows you to hook up a monitor or recording equipment . The Glasses though provide you with a light weight big screen monitor that you can take to the field very easily. Because the view is right up at your eye it really feels like you are on top of the tank.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:41 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Now if you could combine this with something like track ir you would really be onto something.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Panther F

Well Dan, this could be the start of something new.

Imagine all the tankers equipped with either a monitor or the glasses and all of them removed from the battlefield with their backs turned, how real would it be instead of the old 'birds eye view'?

It reminds me of that group in Asia that has the separate rooms for the tankers and they battle with just a camera on top of the tank. How real is that? Plus it would make it feel like REAL tank battles... IMHO that is. []

JAT

~ Jeff
Old 01-03-2013, 10:42 AM
YHR

The Japanese group is very interesting. The principal there is a founding member of IRCTO whiich has in its mandate to help establish standards for the industry so we get equipment that all plays together nicely.

Have you playe RO Darkest Hour? The visual effect is the same with this set up as a video game. My wife commented on the fact why don't I just play the video game, and save some time and money. Silly girl.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:28 PM
tigrotto1a6

Very nice setup Dan!

As samattapol posted a pan and tilt system will enhance your view, if you use the goggles, the head tracker will increase the feel of "be onboard" and let you move the camera left, right, up and down, by simply moving your head.

Fatsharks let you choose 4 different frequencies, so you can use up to 4 tanks without having interferences.

Each tank will only need a new camera and transmitter (a compatible one)

An LCD display or every AV television shall be connect directly to the glasses using AV IN OUT connection. Or, a new receiver (that is a cheap unit) will do the job.

Up to 4 cameras on the same tank can be controlled from a camera switch unit abe to do it, by using only one channel of your radio.

The only problem with Dan's setup will be the 2.4GHz frequency. That frequency is the same of some radios, wifi, blutooth and so on, this will give you problems if you have someone with one or more of them near you. 

I changed yesterday all my things, including manually modify my fatshark goggles, to work with 5,8GHz where the band is ALMOST free.

However, for home usage or for a little group of people, 2,4GHz is still good.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:34 PM
YHR

I use 2.4 ghz radios, The Fat Shark is 5.8 ghz.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:11 AM
tigrotto1a6

Ah, ok, that's perfect
Old 01-04-2013, 06:18 AM
siam

Hello ,
I totally agree with Dan about 2 cameras in a tank and yes we need two men co-operately control a tank.
And I believe that the proper camera positions are ,...

1st. one at the front turret for a driver....this camera may or may not be installed on a pan and tilt mount.

2nd. one on the turret top and it should be co- in line with the barrel and the pan and tilt mount is needed here because the 2nd. man will pan and tilt the camera when he wants to observe the surrounding (now he is acting as a commander) then when he wanna fire ...just set the camera co-in line with the barrel and rotate the turret for aiming the gun then boom (this time he's a gunner).
Old 01-04-2013, 06:22 AM
YHR

Yes it could be done, and it sure would bring a whole new element to this hobby.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:24 PM
siam

Yes it could be done, and it sure would bring a whole new element to this hobby.
I AM WITH YOU.
Here there are some photos from Japan.....panzerwarriors.
The control roomof the FPV Tank Battle....On the front line there are driver controls and the commander(also gunner)controls on the back line.

Note: The driver will see the surroundings from the TV and the commander(and gunner) sees from the periscope.

Name:	Jh14506.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1836885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70803.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1836886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15370.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1836887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39232.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1836888  
Old 01-11-2013, 06:56 AM
YHR

I have since discovered there is a video out on the Fat Shark headset to allow me to record the FPV of this set up. Now that I know this, video will follow.

I also remounted the camera inside the commanders hatch, lower in the tank. I also have a separate servo hooked up to it to allow me to scan the horizon independant of the turret turning. I do get some annoying Giltchs every once in awhile. I think it may have to do with the transmitter antenna being mounted horizontally at the back of the tank. Ideally this should probably be mounted vertically on top of the turret. These Glitchs occur when I am in the house and the tank is in the yard. When I am outside with the tank this is not such an issue.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:53 AM
hiramekisama

~ Jeff

The Glasses are them most expensive thing in this set up. If you just wanted to broadcast back to a monitor, you could have this set up for about $200. A host base station is less then $100, and this allows you to hook up a monitor or recording equipment . The Glasses though provide you with a light weight big screen monitor that you can take to the field very easily. Because the view is right up at your eye it really feels like you are on top of the tank.

You can get a good 900mhz 200W FPV system with everything included for $70 on Hobbyklng, not including shipping. The camera it comes with is ~3.5cm but you can get a 1.5cm micro camera on ebay for 25 bucks. Can also buy a portable 6-7" LCD display for 30 bucks.

I don't see a good reason why it would be a good idea to use 2.4ghz FPV system when 900mhz and 5.8ghz are readily available for just as cheap.

Can anyone validate if the Glasses can cause eyes strain after 1hr use or longer?

Oh, this is my camera mount...

Old 01-11-2013, 10:11 AM
YHR

This system is 5.8 gHz so I agree with you on that. Why crowd a frequency that is being used for RC with video

It does take getting used to the glasses. You are blind to the world around you when they are on. It is more of a comfort thing then a eye strain thing though. Honestly I can't get more then 1 hr out of a 5000 Mah battery with this set up. However I am running a tank outside where it is -20 C. ( I think this metal Sherman weights 12-14 pounds as well) SO much more comfortable sitting on my couch in the warm then the alternative of standing out in the cold.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.