Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

12FG discontinued

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: 12FG discontinued

ORIGINAL: Dave McDonald

Does the 14SG have the high quality ball bearing gimbals that were in the 9Z, 12FG, 12Z, 14MZ, and 18MZ?
Probably not for what the 14SG costs. Everything I have read indicates the 14SG has the same sticks as the 8FG. While not as good as the higher priced radios, they are acceptable.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to Futaba's website. The 12FG is not being discontinued. Just because Tower doesn't want to sell it, doesn't mean that Futaba is discontinuing the 12FG. Only Tower is discontinuing carrying the 12FG.

http://www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-12fg-q1142.html

From the above link:

Radio System FAQ
QUESTION: Is the 14MZ/12Z/12FG being discontinued? I am in the process of acquiring two 14 MZ transmitters on 72 MHz and have been told by some hobby shops that this radio and the 12Z is soon to be discontinued, is this true?

ANSWER: None of these transmitters is being discontinued, you are just seeing the lack of availability on 72Mhz.

One good thing about the 12FG, 12Z and the 14MZ's is that they are modular. While they may not be available on 72 MHz, you can purchase the 72 MHz module from Futaba Services, and an R5114DPS receiver from your local hobby store, or simply buy the module and use your current 72 MHz receivers.

With more and more people going to 2.4 GHz, the need for stock of 72 MHz has drastically reduced. But, the flexibility of going from 2.4 GHz to 72 MHz is one of the advantages of these two radios not being "dedicated 2.4Ghz".
Old 12-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: eastern

The whole thing just baffles me. Apparently even if I had bought an 18MZ I still wouldn't have been able to transfer model memories over. So what's the point of having the ability of storing memories if the only transmitter you can use them in is the one you own!
Not so. You can transfer 12FG models to the 12Z/14MZ via the Model Converter. Then copy to the 18MZ card. You cannot go down stream though.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:51 PM
DougV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

Go to Futaba's website. The 12FG is not being discontinued. Just because Tower doesn't want to sell it, doesn't mean that Futaba is discontinuing the 12FG. Only Tower is discontinuing carrying the 12FG.

From the above link:

Radio System FAQ
QUESTION: Is the 14MZ/12Z/12FG being discontinued? I am in the process of acquiring two 14 MZ transmitters on 72 MHz and have been told by some hobby shops that this radio and the 12Z is soon to be discontinued, is this true?

ANSWER: None of these transmitters is being discontinued, you are just seeing the lack of availability on 72Mhz.

One good thing about the 12FG, 12Z and the 14MZ's is that they are modular. While they may not be available on 72 MHz, you can purchase the 72 MHz module from Futaba Services, and an R5114DPS receiver from your local hobby store, or simply buy the module and use your current 72 MHz receivers.

With more and more people going to 2.4 GHz, the need for stock of 72 MHz has drastically reduced. But, the flexibility of going from 2.4 GHz to 72 MHz is one of the advantages of these two radios not being ''dedicated 2.4Ghz''.
I remember seen that FAQ a few years ago. Futaba Japan discontinue these radios not Hobbico. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11334705/tm.htm

Doug.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess Futaba doesn't update their website much.
Thanks.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:28 PM
Dick T.

The web link in DougV's post is for Futaba USA.

Futaba Japan is here:

http://www.rc.futaba.co.jp/english/

They still show both 12's and the 14MZ however the english site is new and still under construction so it may not be up to date.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:03 AM
ddaveb

I think that the statement that the 12fg was the same price as the 14sg is misleading £495 for the 12fg was for the battery,charger & manual only the 14 sg can be purchased for £424 from Kings Lynn models & is £449 every where else but for that you also get a £90- £100 RX
Old 01-01-2013, 05:26 AM
eastern

Regardless of costs it's still being put out as a replacement for the 5-6 years old 12FG which it quite plainly isn't.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:05 AM
DougV

ORIGINAL: eastern

Regardless of costs it's still being put out as a replacement for the 5-6 years old 12FG which it quite plainly isn't.
No, its not a replacement for the 12fg or 12z.

Doug.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:36 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

12z was priced at Chief Hobbies around $950 during the 2012 Xmas Holiday week. It went back to $1499. Can not tell if the radio has been discontinued.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:23 AM
GAToland

The 12FG and 12Z are being discontinued per Bax.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11334705/tm.htm
Old 01-02-2013, 09:13 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

From the above link:

Radio System FAQ

With more and more people going to 2.4 GHz, the need for stock of 72 MHz has drastically reduced. But, the flexibility of going from 2.4 GHz to 72 MHz is one of the advantages of these two radios not being ''dedicated 2.4Ghz''.
I can speak from personal experience when I say that Futaba lies when it comes to asking the question about whether or not a radio is being discontinued.

I spent several months looking at and investigating the Futaba 9Z WCII a number of years back. There were consistant rumors about it being discontinued which Bax (Bill Baxter at Hobbico) as well as the other Futaba sources I contacted, denied the radio was being discontinued. It was also mentioned that Tower had a 30 exchange policy so if the radio was in fact discontinued within 30 days I could swap it out.

So I ordered the radio and three weeks later the 12Z was announced along with the 9Z being discontinued.

I contacted Tower about returning the radio on the 30 exchange and they said "sure, send it back and we'll swap it out for anything in stock." I told 'em I wanted the new 12Z radio and would pay the price difference, they told me that the 12Z wouldn't be there for a couple of months so I could not swap the 9Z radio since "the 12Z is not in stock and the thirty day exchange policy only applies to in stock items."

As for a radio not being discontinued but Tower simply choosing not to carry it? Seems way far fetched to me since Hobbico owns Tower as well as the Futaba import/distribution rights for the USA and they own numerous other model related companies.

So don't put any stock in whatever you see on a webpage, I was kind of surprised that Bax confirmed the rumor but in my experience if there are this many rumors floating around about discontinued radios, you'd best listen if it's important to you....
Old 01-02-2013, 09:37 AM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

Zeeb, do you know if "Sunupp" brand 72mhz receivers are compatible with the synthesized 9Z WCII module? Some of the later Hitec receivers don't respond to it.

Thanks,

JW
Old 01-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Truckracer

I solve the new radio, discontinued radio problem a very simple way. I try to never buy a new radio, engine, etc. when they first come on the market. I prefer to let a new product mature a bit, get debugged by others, etc. before I buy one. In my business and personal life, I find the latest and newest product isn't always the greatest one.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:13 PM
TFF

Synthesized 9Z WCII do not like off brand receivers; especially ones that are auto shift. Something about there being 2048 resolution near stick center with the synth module; some kind of ripple signal that off brands cant read.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Dick T.

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

I can speak from personal experience when I say that Futaba lies when it comes to asking the question about whether or not a radio is being discontinued.

I spent several months looking at and investigating the Futaba 9Z WCII a number of years back. There were consistant rumors about it being discontinued which Bax (Bill Baxter at Hobbico) as well as the other Futaba sources I contacted, denied the radio was being discontinued. It was also mentioned that Tower had a 30 exchange policy so if the radio was in fact discontinued within 30 days I could swap it out.

So I ordered the radio and three weeks later the 12Z was announced along with the 9Z being discontinued.

I contacted Tower about returning the radio on the 30 exchange and they said ''sure, send it back and we'll swap it out for anything in stock.'' I told 'em I wanted the new 12Z radio and would pay the price difference, they told me that the 12Z wouldn't be there for a couple of months so I could not swap the 9Z radio since ''the 12Z is not in stock and the thirty day exchange policy only applies to in stock items.''

As for a radio not being discontinued but Tower simply choosing not to carry it? Seems way far fetched to me since Hobbico owns Tower as well as the Futaba import/distribution rights for the USA and they own numerous other model related companies.

So don't put any stock in whatever you see on a webpage, I was kind of surprised that Bax confirmed the rumor but in my experience if there are this many rumors floating around about discontinued radios, you'd best listen if it's important to you....
I believe you are stretching facts a bit on the 30 Day Return Policy. You can request a credit towards future purchases. Tower is pretty liberal with their return policy and have been as long as I have been a customer (20+ years).

As far as knowing if a Futaba radio is being discontinued, Futaba calls the shots and often without any warning. They are pretty tight lipped about their products so it is here today, gone tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:08 PM
nonstoprc

Stated in Tower Hobbies' policies and procedures URL:

"RETURNING MERCHANDISE
Complete instructions for returning merchandise are printed on the back of your Tower Hobbies invoice. You may also download the return instructions and form (Adobe PDF file, 511KB). Please carefully read those instructions if you need to return an item. We will accept merchandise for return that was purchased from Tower Hobbies within 30 days of receipt. The merchandise must be in new and unused condition and in its original packaging. We are unable to reimburse for return shipping costs. We do not accept returns via COD or any other collection method. COD packages will be refused. Packages billing Tower Hobbies without authorization will result in actual shipping charges billed back to sender unless other prior arrangements were made. Due to shipping regulations, fuel cases may not be returned to us. There is no restocking fee for qualified returns. Mounting and running fuel through a model engine, installing radio parts in a model, cutting up balsa sheets in kits, installing software or discarding the packing material are some examples of what constitutes used merchandise."

The bottom line for return is: within 30 days, with a receipt, in unused condition and in original package.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:50 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

I believe you are stretching facts a bit on the 30 Day Return Policy. You can request a credit towards future purchases. Tower is pretty liberal with their return policy and have been as long as I have been a customer (20+ years).
So you're calling me a liar?

That takes a LOT OF FRIGGIN GALL on you part, but I guess if you're a FAN BOY that excuses it?

You can take your d*mn orange T-shirt and stuff it where the sun doesn't shine.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:42 AM
Skaluf

Hi guys, here are the facts. Futaba has discontinued the manufacture of the 12Z and the 14MZ, Hobbico has discontinued selling the 12FG.

These items will continue to appear on our web site (www.futaba-rc.com) for roughly six months as many hobby retailers in North America still have these radios in stock. Also we always support discontinued systems for roughly five years, sometimes longer if our parts inventory is strong.

Steve
Old 01-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Dick T.

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

So you're calling me a liar?

That takes a LOT OF FRIGGIN GALL on you part, but I guess if you're a FAN BOY that excuses it?

You can take your d*mn orange T-shirt and stuff it where the sun doesn't shine.
No, not at all.

The way your post was written it appeared there was no other option which there clearly is. Perhaps the person you spoke with did not fully understand the return options even though it is spelled out on the back of their invoices.

Personally I have never had a problem receiving credit for a return to Tower. Recently They credited me $55.00 for an item that had a price reduction of that amount several days after I ordered it. But I needed to talk to a manager to explain as the initial contact person did not think it could be done.

One only needs to peruse Tower's Scratch & Dent page to see the condition of some returned stuff. Obviously some is crash damage or cannibalized for parts then returned. They are very liberal despite what the Returning Merchandise text states.

I moved from two 9ZWCII to a 14MZ when they first came out. I bought a 12FG one year ago and another 14MZ less than 6 months ago (sold the original 14MZ after buying the new one). Recently bought the 18MZ. So now I have two Futaba orphans and a current model. Futaba still services the 9ZWCII so I suspect the transmitters I have will be servicable for many years to come.

No, I don't have an orange T-Shirt but do have an orange jacket. The sun always shines in California so I have no fear about stuffing it anywhere.

God Bless, have a prosperous New Year.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Truckracer

Dick T.

My Tower return experiences have been exactly as you stated in your post. Painless! On the occasions I have returned things they simply credited the amount of the purchase to my Credit Card.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:21 AM
nonstoprc

ORIGINAL: Skaluf

Hi guys, here are the facts. Futaba has discontinued the manufacture of the 12Z and the 14MZ, Hobbico has discontinued selling the 12FG.

These items will continue to appear on our web site (www.futaba-rc.com) for roughly six months as many hobby retailers in North America still have these radios in stock. Also we always support discontinued systems for roughly five years, sometimes longer if our parts inventory is strong.

Steve
Thanks for sharing the info.

Now the real question is whether Futaba will replace 12z / 14mz with new product(s) that are in the same price range. 18mz is nice but much more $$$.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Dick T.

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

Dick T.

My Tower return experiences have been exactly as you stated in your post. Painless! On the occasions I have returned things they simply credited the amount of the purchase to my Credit Card.
I always let them post credit to my Tower account since I order frequently. Saves them a few bucks by not running back and forth to the credit card.

As you said, "Painless"!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

Dick T.

I always let them post credit to my Tower account since I order frequently. Saves them a few bucks by not running back and forth to the credit card.

As you said, ''Painless''!
The last several times I returned something, their policy was that they would credit the same method of payment used to pay for the merchandise. I never asked for "store credit". Maybe they would have done that .... don't know. Regardless, the whole experience was painless as they advertise.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:33 PM
TimBle

Highly unlikely. The 14MZ was replaced by the 18MZ and 12 Z seems like an orphan and is based on older non supported technology. If Futaba is still manufacturing the 12 FG then it is likely that its replacement is due only later in the year and hobbico has decided to carry only the 6J, 8J, 14SG and 18MZ. Thats a lot less inventory and supports the FHSS/S-FHSS, and the latter two the FASST and FASSTest. Makes a lot of sense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.