Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Herr Engineering - Star Lite

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 03:40 PM
guitardude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Herr Engineering - Star Lite

A while back I started a post on building the Herr Engineering - Starlite. I guess it can be best described as a laser cut, three (3) channel trainer (KIT) with a 36" wing span and should weigh around 4-6 Oz.. I purchased the kit from SIG off their site, its currently $26.99. It was originally designed for NiMih and brushed motor. Of course since we now have tons of brushless and LiPo power combinations I obviously opted for that. I purchased a Welgard 2204 with ESC for about $30. Since I just had to had ailerons I obviously had to do some modification to the kit but in the end it was well worth it.

One main problem I had while building the kit was what to use to hinge the control surfaces. Ah-ha, I remember way back when SIG used to sell these cloth iron on hinges.....and of course I couldn't find them anywhere not even on SIG's site. So I was wondering through Walmart and went to the sowing section. Hummmm....... I bet these "Iron-On" cloth hemming strips would work. And they DID!

The three main modifications I did was cut and trim the leading edges of the ribs to accommodate the ailerons, installed dual aileron servos therefore I had to make trays for the servos to mount in. Since the wing was so thin the ailerons had to be mounted parallel to the leading edged instead of the usual 90 degree mounting. I also took out about 1/2 of the dihedral the plans indicated. So far its been a GREAT flying plane, however I covered the aircraft with "Solar Film - So Lite" from Radical RC. I had a tough time keeping the lightly framed tail pieces from warping when tightening up the covering. I still have a slight warp in the horizontal stab. All in all the kit was a GREAT kit to build and went together quite well. I would highly recommend this kit, the instructions and prints are well labeled and laid out. Also since the field I currently fly at has a pretty rough grass runway, I opted to leave the wheels off, but it glides in EXTREMELY SMOOTH for landings.

I also have pictures of the build but I had trouble loading them, if interested let me know and I'll try to reload them

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12218.jpg
Views:	780
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	1788391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39909.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	1788392  
Old 08-04-2012, 12:36 PM
guitardude

Default RE: Herr Engineering - Star Lite

Finally found my original post with detailed pictures on the build and using the "Iron on" Hem material for hinges.

Here's the original Link: www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10729711/anchors_10729711/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#10729711
Old 01-05-2013, 04:05 PM
fix-n-fly
My Feedback: (1)

Hi guiitardude - I just purchased one of these kits myself, hoping to build it into something I can fly in a gym. Thank you for sharing that you used the GH2204 brushless motor and 10 Amp ESC. I am curious if you were able to get the entire electronics package (servos, ESC, motor, receiver, and battery) to weigh in at 2 oz or less. I too am an old nitro guy and have to start flying indoors due to health reasons. I also have a Hobbyzone Champ, but would like something a little larger, and maybe a little slower that still looks like a plane; hence this build.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:18 AM
guitardude

Hello Fix-n-fly (I should have thought of that name..LOL). Thanks for the interest in my build. I belive the Startlite I built came in MUCH closer to 7 OZ not I'm not sure if my electronics weighed aroiund 2 OZ or not. Well I was WAY off, just weighed it with an 2S - 800Mh LiPo and it came in at 8.55 OZ. I believe the 4 OZ indicates JUST the weight of air frame ONLY. Also keep in mind that I covered the aircraft with Solarfilm So-lite Covering from Radical RC and not tissure papaer as the plans reccomend. In addition, I added two servo's for the ailerons (This was a modification to the plan) .

Unless you're flying in a HUGEStadium, this aircraft might be somewhat large to handle in an area of that size unless you just want to fly in a circle. So far I've only flown mine outside.

Let me know if you have any further questions, you might want to look at the aircraft at Stevens Aero Models "http://www.stevensaero.com" or Radical RC "www.radicalrc.com" sites for smaller models for indoor flight. Stevens Aero Models carries a WIDE variety of small, indoor flight models and are of high grade materials, take a look at the "Diddle Bug" models they have, probably perfect for what your wanting even though you've purchased the Starlite..

Good luck in your build.