Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New Evolution 10cc gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 08:44 AM
jspauld2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Evolution 10cc gas engine

It all depends on what you're looking for. We did do testing on the Katana with the 10cc but found that it might be a little bit on the heavy side for 3D.

ORIGINAL: gade600sdi

I have been doing some calculation on weight vs. the Evolution 60NX engine.

Evolution 10cc Gas is 23 ounces all in. (book says 22 but I used the guy that weighed it on a scale in this forum)
Evolution 60NX glow is 17 ounces all in. (it may really be 18 but I am using the published specs)

But, I use a 16 ounce tank normally for a 10-12 minute glow flight, and I am thinking 8 ounces of gas tank would be more than needed to provide 15 minute flights, possibly a 6 ounce tank would be enough. So you can save 8 ounces of fuel, maybe 9-10 ounces figuring the smaller tank will weigh less. So that gives you a net savings of 3-5 ounces, which will go towards the ignition pack.

Overall, its very close weight to the 60NX glow based on my logic above.

Now for the power, prop rpm readings I am seeing here are comparable to what I get on a 60 glow motor, so the power seems similar too.

So, this should be a perfect motor for a plane like the Hangar 9 Katana and should be good for 3D with the power to weight ratio. Did I conclude this right or did I miss something?

My conclusion
Old 01-04-2013, 09:27 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The upper weight of the Katana is 7.5 lbs and the gas engine will probably take it slightly more than that so its not surprising that 3D is not possible. On the other hand, the Seagull Funfly 3D has an upper published weight of 6.7 lbs though having 15 more sq inches. That 3/4 lb difference might be significant if the numbers were good.

I've finally got all the needed hardware to assemble mine so will have an all up weight in a week or so.

3D possible or not, it should come out fairly lightly loaded and nimble.

Edit Correction: The upper published weight of the Seagull Funfly 3D is 5.7 lbs rather than 6.7 so there is 1.75 lbs difference between it and the Katana.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 AM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gade600sdi

I have been doing some calculation on weight vs. the Evolution 60NX engine.

Evolution 10cc Gas is 23 ounces all in. (book says 22 but I used the guy that weighed it on a scale in this forum)
Evolution 60NX glow is 17 ounces all in. (it may really be 18 but I am using the published specs)

But, I use a 16 ounce tank normally for a 10-12 minute glow flight, and I am thinking 8 ounces of gas tank would be more than needed to provide 15 minute flights, possibly a 6 ounce tank would be enough. So you can save 8 ounces of fuel, maybe 9-10 ounces figuring the smaller tank will weigh less. So that gives you a net savings of 3-5 ounces, which will go towards the ignition pack.

Overall, its very close weight to the 60NX glow based on my logic above.

Now for the power, prop rpm readings I am seeing here are comparable to what I get on a 60 glow motor, so the power seems similar too.

So, this should be a perfect motor for a plane like the Hangar 9 Katana and should be good for 3D with the power to weight ratio. Did I conclude this right or did I miss something?

My conclusion
It’s really pretty good if you compare it to a few competitors engines weights, roughly between 22.5 - 27 oz. in the .60 class.

Andy
Old 01-04-2013, 10:34 AM
BlackPowder

My Evolution 10cc engine should be on my front door any day now, can't wait. I like trying out new stuff! I am thinking of installing it on a GP U Can Do 46, very light weight and I have one with a Saito 82. So I fill that it will do just fine. Great forum.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Ernie Misner

I don't have a 60NX but do have a couple of 55AX's. On 2 of them I use an 8 oz. tank and the 3rd one has a 10 oz tank. I think a 16 oz. tank might be a little unrealistic for most folks on 60 size glow... ? Still that should be a great engine for the Katana. I like the instant throttle response that gas engines usually have for 3D. (very 4-stroke like!)
Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: FlatSpin

Thanks to everyone for your expert insight. I’m not trying to drain every last RPM out of this engine but it did strike me as odd that I got so much extra RPMs w/o the pressure line. I bet the LS is still a little off, so I will take the time to do more experimenting with the LS and HS settings this weekend. I'll even try a larger diameter fuel pressure line to see it that helps.

Dave
I did some needle tweaking today. With the APC 12x6, the engine maxed out at 10,100 RPMs but I finally got the engine to peak at 10,900 RPMs on the ground. The LS needle definitely interacts with the HS for rich/lean and max RPMs and 1/16†makes about a 500 RPM difference. At the peak needle settings, removing the muffler pressure line caused the engine to die. I flew it at these needle settings and got 13,850 RPMs unloaded in a dive. I left the LS needle alone and opened the HS for a 200 RPM decrease. The transition to WOT is solid and my idle is around 2100.

I now have 2/3 gallon thru this little beast which equates to about 5-5 ½ hrs of flight time and decided to see what the piston and crank pin looked like. There is just a light golden brown hue on the piston, near the exhaust port and the crank pin still looks brand new. The spark plug tip is a light tan. All OK so far! Now to mount this in my new Meridian and maybe get in a maiden flight it this weekend.

Dave
If you are increasing rpm in a dive - you are likely too lean for climbing maneuvers - -Ideally the dive will slightly load up -because the engine is not working as hard . max rpm should occur in a vertical climb - I know it sounds odd unless you take into account the heat generated in vertical climb.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Wingspam

This might be a really dumb question but, the Manuel recommends breaking the engine in on the plane and in the air.
Why so much time breaking it in on a stand?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:46 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Wingspam

This might be a really dumb question but, the Manuel recommends breaking the engine in on the plane and in the air.
Why so much time breaking it in on a stand?
Not a dumb question at all.

Two reasons for me.
First :I've always performed the break-in process for engines; glow and gassers on the ground ,even if the manual states it can be done in the air. If the engine is going to give me fits I'd rather it do it on the ground than in the air. After burning enough tanks were it seems to run reliably then I'll fly it and continue the break-in process where with this particular engine it will take a while.
Second: There is 8-10 inches on snow here and when I maiden the plane I don't want the engine to quit where I have to dead-stick out in the lower 40 and schlep through all of that snow to fetch it !

Old 01-04-2013, 01:15 PM
rmh

Breaking in an engine on the ground is both good and bad .
Good in tha it does allow you to discover basic starting and needle valve procedures

the bad part is that simply letting an engine run on the ground, never permits the cooling that occurs while flying - the engine is acully working les cruising around.
ideally you get a decent needle valve setting which will NOT allow full lean running EVER- then fly, throttling down for a while then up for a while.
But if you ar doing ground running - full throttle should neve be for more than a few seconds .
once yo u find the setting is too lean and heat starts to build - you should throttle back for a while - richen the mix - then try higher speeds again.
gassers should not be run four strokin rich -but an occasional burble is fine. and a slight burble in level flight is usually ' bout right.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Ernie Misner

Guess I've been lucky breaking in on the bench, but I've never had an engine get too hot. Every engine purchased from Valley View gets a good 20 minute run on the bench before being sent out. It's a given not to load it too heavily or run too lean.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:41 PM
FlatSpin

rmh,

Thank you for the great inputs! My assumption was that the max RPMs were achieved in a dive based on hearing the engine wind up as it was descending. I noted the min/max RPM numbers after I landed and assumed (yep, made an ***** out of myself!) that the max was in the dive. I will most certainly have an observer next time to read the numbers out as I climb and dive to confirm what the engine is doing.

Dave
Old 01-04-2013, 06:48 PM
earlwb

I tend to compromise it.
I use a test stand to run a few tanks through a new engine as well. But I basically get the engine adjusted on the stand to ensure it is working OK, get familiarized with it, et cetera. Then after a few tanks to limber it up a little, I switch it over to a airplane and finish its break in flying it around. Some engines take longer to break in thus the engine might need a long time getting run in and in the past I used to use a test airplane to fly a new engine for a while to break it in. Then I would install the engine in a airplane I got the engine for in the first place. I have had some engines need a couple three gallons of fuel to get them broke in good. They were quite tight too, you had to break them in for a long time before they ran good.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:17 PM
rmh

rmh,

Thank you for the great inputs! My assumption was that the max RPMs were achieved in a dive based on hearing the engine wind up as it was descending. I noted the min/max RPM numbers after I landed and assumed (yep, made an ***** out of myself!) that the max was in the dive. I will most certainly have an observer next time to read the numbers out as I climb and dive to confirm what the engine is doing.

Dave
The early evolution gassers had a tattletale in the ignition- we would fly the models and never use full throttle except in level flight- OR- climbing everything else was at low throttle
After landing we would read the ignition rpm display
this way, we got good reading of max rpm under load . We compared readings with the observed aircraft performance.- It is a cut n try thing.

The exercize was to find best setup for max performance such as sustained verticals with snaps . On the 26 it proved to be at about 9,500 to 10, 000 rpm when working -
typically the smaller the engine the faster it must turn to extract max output NOT just max rpm.
the smaller pops get less efficient so they have to turn faster.
For nice sport flying this is perhaps over the top but - you can't get more power just adding a bigger prop - - there is a narrow window of max power and you have to stay in it.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:58 AM
BlackPowder

FlatSpin,
I may have missed it, but which airplane are you flying with the 10cc and how much does it weight. I fly at 5000 ft here in NEW Mexico and want to be sure of my airplane choice for this engine. Thanks Jim
Old 01-05-2013, 11:08 AM
FlatSpin

I’m flying it in a 7lb, 4oz modified Train-Air 40. It is an old kit that is fully aerobatic and with the APC 12x6, I have authoritative vertical climb. I can pull up from takeoff and almost go straight up. I think this falls in line with the 7 to 7/12 lb weight estimates for this engine.

Dave
Old 01-05-2013, 01:54 PM
BlackPowder

Perfect, all your information has been helpful. This is the smallest gasoline engine that I will have, but am excited to try it out, thanks. Jim
Old 01-05-2013, 04:12 PM
nalby

Hey Guys, would this engine be OK for a super sportster 60? I've always wanted one but never got around to building it. But now that gas is here I might be motivated.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:22 PM
flyinwalenda

ORIGINAL: nalby

Hey Guys, would this engine be OK for a super sportster 60? I've always wanted one but never got around to building it. But now that gas is here I might be motivated.
I would say, YES !

Old 01-05-2013, 04:50 PM
earlwb

I am concerned that the Evo 10cc gas engine may not be powerful enough for a .60 size or 10cc size RC plane. The planes tend to weigh 8 pounds or more and were intended for glow 10cc 2 stroke  to 20cc 4 stroke engines. But to those of you who are using them in these bigger planes, you have me quite interested in how it works out for those planes. The 10cc gas engine is basically a replacement for a glow .40 through .50 size RC plane. The Evo 10cc uses the small NX crankcase size and in glow engines. The Evo .60 NX is a high performance upgrade for .40 through .52 size glow engine powered planes.  But I am watching you guys use the engine in these .60 size planes to see how it goes. It is very fascinating.

Now then the old .60 size planes were smaller many years ago as the old .60 engines used baffled pistons and didn't develop much more power than the .45 through .46 modern glow engines of today. So the old .60 plane designs would work OK though.

But then the Evo 10cc gas engine does work pretty well with larger props though, so maybe my concerns are wrong. Thus I will be watching you folks leading the way here.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:59 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I seen a video on Youtube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFn3_...ture=endscreen Enjoy!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:01 PM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Amen to that, I was wondering about the SuperSportster also as these are pretty heavy airframes . . . and most tend to overpower them with larger engines. I'd bet it might work "OK" on a 4*60, . . . but don't think that would be a barnburner either.

T-man49 in Al
Old 01-05-2013, 05:43 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BlackPowder

Perfect, all your information has been helpful. This is the smallest gasoline engine that I will have, but am excited to try it out, thanks. Jim
I'm in agreement. I've nearing buttoning the interior of the Seagull Funfly 3D using the Evo 10cc and its starting to get busy in there after adding the ignition, IBEC, and adequate battery for both flight and ignition. The stuff is not shoe horned in, but not a lot of extra space either.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:56 PM
earlwb

I have a Escapade .60 with a SV-17cc engine (1.0 cubic inch) on it and the plane weighs in at about 9 and 1/4 pounds of weight. I don't think it would have weighed all that much less with a big glow .60 engine or glow four stroke engine either.

My Escapade .40 with a NGH 9cc gas engine weighs in at about 6 pounds too. It flies really well with the engine on it. But it was a tight fit, as I had to put the CDI module up front under the engine. My low wing sprt pattern plane weighs in a little heavier at about 6.5 pounds and it flies well with the little 9cc gas engine too.
So I think having a model go 7 pounds or more in weight might be a bit too much for the EVO 10cc engine. I don't thinkI have ever built up a plane ever that came in under the weight the plane manufactuer claimed it would weigh.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:59 PM
flyinwalenda

The weight specs for the Super Sportster 60 state 6-7.5 lbs and the Meridian 10cc state 7-8 lbs. I haven't weighed my Meridian yet but will next week, The Sportster is shorter in wingspan and fuselage length by about 7 inches too.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:28 PM
earlwb

You definitely have my interest in your Meridian 10cc plane and how it does with the Evo 10cc engine. They do say 7.5 to 8 pounds, so if it stays under that max weight, I am hoping that it should do fine too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.