Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Schweighofer/Hanno Prettner Curare ARF build

Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Schweighofer/Hanno Prettner Curare ARF build

Old 01-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Jon Wold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Schweighofer/Hanno Prettner Curare ARF build

Hello all, the new Hanno Prettner Curare ARF has been mentioned in several topics here, but I thought the plane deserves it's own thread. I have been fortunate enough to have one of the pre-production models for test. It's absolutely brilliant, and since my Swedish colleague made his Curare electric, I'm building the glow version. I have posted the first part in the series on my blog:
http://www.aerowold.com/2012/hanno-prettner-curare-arf/

The build is in three parts, pt. 2 is coming soon. My plane is complete and I'm just waiting for fair winds and a frozen lake on which to fly it.

There's been delays, first due to production problems - the producer Schweighofer in Austria did not want to release a plane that was not perfect. As stated in the current Schweighofer catalog, the company has a long personal and professional relationship with Hanno, and it was important that both were satisfied with the quality. The first shipment was due in November 2012, but unfortunate circumstances caused the container to be stuck in China, and expected delivery is late january 2013. Fingers crossed that the shipment gets to Austria ASAP. Schweighofer ships internationally: http://www.der-schweighofer.at/en

Attached a photo of my finished model. If you have any questions about this ARF I'm happy to answer.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31945.jpg
Views:	2324
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	1835832  
Old 01-01-2013, 11:17 PM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Schweighofer/Hanno Prettner Curare ARF build

Thanks for the update, only thing missing is a video of Hanno flying 70's era sequence with this Curare! I would pay for a copy (no music please just the sound of the engine)
Old 01-02-2013, 08:39 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why an ARF? We pattern pilot would rather build our own planes. I am not being mean, but I, personally would not buy a ARF to fly pattern.

I went to the web site and found no mention or advertisement of the plane. Surely didn't see a price tag.

Frank
Old 01-02-2013, 11:08 PM
Trisquire

ORIGINAL: RonMcCormick

Thanks for the update, only thing missing is a video of Hanno flying 70's era sequence with this Curare!
I want to see a video of the OP flying off of a frozen lake in Norway.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:00 AM
Jon Wold

I like a kit as much as the next man, but hey, the world has moved on and ARFs are the only thing that sells. And I'm glad, it only took me four evenings to get this one flight ready. The single biggest job is to cut a hole in the cowling for the engine, after that it's just a matter of slotting things in place.

The ARF is 299 EUR (http://www.der-schweighofer.at/en/pr...t?query=Curare ) and a suitable electric retract kit is 99 EUR.

Video? Of course! It's just that the ice has melted now, so I'm waiting on colder weather. Still haven't flow it unfortunately.

Part two of the build log is posted today: http://www.aerowold.com/
Old 01-03-2013, 09:02 AM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: countilaw

Why an ARF? We pattern pilot would rather build our own planes. I am not being mean, but I, personally would not buy a ARF to fly pattern.

I went to the web site and found no mention or advertisement of the plane. Surely didn't see a price tag.

Frank
Two clicks brings you to the Schweighofer/Curare page; andI'd like to think I'm a pattern flyer (P-7, P-6, TT III, Tipo, S. Kaos 60 and 40, MK Atlas 40, Mach 1, Escape, Taurus (and a Dream 110, Spot-On 50). Only three of those are ARFs.Personally I don't exclude ARFs from the line up, if I'm impressed enough with a particular ARF I'll go for it. Also, there are plenty of reasons one might choose an ARF, so I for one am glad to see that some of the classics are available in ARF form for those who choose that route. Not being mean, just voicing forthe other side of the coin .
Hook
aka Mark
Old 01-03-2013, 10:00 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good looking arfie.....Hope it flies as well

Looking at the design elements of this model (incredibly succesful in its time of course) and comparing that to today's 2 meter models, the Curare looks like it was very stable in yaw. No large bulbous fuselage in front and a very large (percentage-wise by today's standards) fin and rudder. Designed to groove. No snapping this model silly as is done in today's schedules.....

Old 01-03-2013, 01:07 PM
daggets

the only problem... when will it be available?
Old 01-04-2013, 02:21 AM
Jon Wold

We testflew it in Austria, and it snapped surprisingly well. We flew avalanches, and tried inverted snaps on top and it was very easy. Stops as crisp as I ever saw. I fly 2-meter models usually, and I expected an older design to feel... old, and not so crisp, but the Curare not only tracks nice, it has a very decent knife-edge and also flies 4-points respectably. A benefit of the snap-flaps is that you can mix downline braking if you wish, or even control-line style elevator/flap mix for extremely sharp edges.

I talked to Schweighofer in december, and the latest intel says they arrive about a month from now. Fingers crossed. Decent weather and now snow might allow me to fly this weekend. A sunny day allowed me to take a decent photo that shows off the colors. My 8-year old daughter took the photo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63979.jpg
Views:	1073
Size:	451.7 KB
ID:	1836632  
Old 01-06-2013, 04:30 AM
Jon Wold

Here is part 3 of the build online: http://www.aerowold.com/2013/hanno-p...re-arf-part-3/

Engine and pipe mounting completes the assembly- setup and engine tuning is next.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Jon Wold

And here is part 4: http://www.aerowold.com/2013/hanno-p...re-arf-part-4/

It's been testflown, and the experience still makes me smile almost a week later. It really does fly well, and the 55 engine pulls it along with authority.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:49 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bump in the name of the Irish!

see RCG forum thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1817942

Man, all this cross-linking and cross-referencing...

David
Old 02-16-2013, 01:09 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

The Schweighofer Curare ARF's has been shipped now from Asia according to pictures posted by Schweighofer in a german RC forum. They are expected to arrive this week for start of delivery to customers Feb 25 so now it is not long time left before anyone that has ordered or order now will get one. As I understand it it is one container arriving now and a second container in 2-3 weeks later.

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...=1#post3011133

According to Schweighofer in above link (translation from german to english with Google translator):

"The curare arrive tonight in European Destination and are expected to be delivered on Wednesday with us.
This last delivery date 25th February 2013 is therefore safely from the current perspective.
Currently one third of the initial delivery is sold, but we know from experience that this degree is very unusual
for pre-orders which in turn suggests that the remaining models will be sold from this delivery very soon.
For the second delivery I can not name a date at the time, I think it will be around June or July, be ready."

I have ordered one and hope to get one from this first shipment (container 1 or 2).

/Bo
Old 03-11-2013, 08:18 AM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

Hello,
Any updates on the shipments? According to the website they are in stock.
Has anyone from the US order one? What was your experience in dealing with the company?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:35 AM
modtron

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I got mine 2 weeks ago (UK) very well presented and very well built - just need time to put it together now ?
If you order their Electric retracts - they come from Lander - so nothing special there, but you may be able to source alternatives more locally.

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 03-11-2013, 09:08 AM
computermonkey

Good information modtron,
I was hoping with Hanno involved with the making of the ARF that it would be a good kit even though it was build in China.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:30 PM
pvogel

ORIGINAL: computermonkey

Hello,
Any updates on the shipments? According to the website they are in stock.
Has anyone from the US order one? What was your experience in dealing with the company?
I got mine last week (shipped to California) the set looks great and very well built, I expect to get it assembled this week. I'm talking to Schweighofer about doing a bulk shipment to me to try to offset shipping costs, let me know if you live in the US and are interested in ordering one.

Peter+
Old 03-11-2013, 12:34 PM
computermonkey

Hi Peter,
I'm interested, but I was going to order a few other items that are not available here in the US. The shipping looks to be 15 euro which isn't bad at all.

Can you post your build? What engine, retracts are you using?
Old 03-11-2013, 02:03 PM
auggie622
My Feedback: (39)

Peter, I ordered mind about two weeks ago. How long from the time you ordered, did you receive your kit ? What do you think of the quality? What power plant have you chosen and what retracts?

Stevens
Old 03-12-2013, 12:56 PM
pvogel

ORIGINAL: computermonkey

Hi Peter,
I'm interested, but I was going to order a few other items that are not available here in the US. The shipping looks to be 15 euro which isn't bad at all.

Can you post your build? What engine, retracts are you using?
They'll adjust the shipping when they figure out where you live, it'll be more than 15 Euro :-)

Once it's on the bench I'll be happy to post the build Scorpion 4025-10 will be the first motor I try on it and see if I like it. I'm using the retracts they recommend for it, those are very well made from my initial playing with them (since they were the only part of the plane I had for several months :-)

Peter+
Old 03-12-2013, 12:57 PM
pvogel

ORIGINAL: auggie622

Peter, I ordered mind about two weeks ago. How long from the time you ordered, did you receive your kit ? What do you think of the quality? What power plant have you chosen and what retracts?

Stevens
I ordered in September or October last year when they were expecting them in Dec but they weren't happy with the quality of the first samples they got and sent the factory back to the drawing board, hence the couple months delay. They ship right away now and it took a little under a week to arrive in the US. Power + Retracts are as discussed in previous post.

Peter+
Old 03-12-2013, 01:44 PM
Huang
My Feedback: (27)

Peter, how much was the shipping for your single plane to the US? How much do you think the bulk order will save on shipping?
Old 03-12-2013, 04:31 PM
pvogel

115 Euro I'm waiting to hear back from Schweighofer on what shipping for a bulk order would be.

Peter+
Old 04-14-2013, 05:53 PM
computermonkey

Any update on your build or flying?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:40 PM
pvogel

Build went quick and cleanly. Unfortunately due to weather and my own idiocy (I had it on my list of stuff to check and forgot before setting up the ESC/BEC) I fried the landing gear control electronics with 8v (it's only rated for 6) so I got the gear replaced last week but was in Riverside for the contest this weekend and Dale's sprinter didn't have room for my dear departed Griffin AND the Curare so it hasn't had a maiden yet. Aiming for late this week.

Peter+

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.