Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Waco?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Waco?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 09:06 AM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Waco?

Looks like the P-6e hawk is sold out now....
I have to get mine up in the air, before parts are scarce again...
Old 11-25-2012, 09:17 AM
kochj

Is this the way the DLE 30 runs when half throttle??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kqv3...eature=related
I understand it is set rich, but I have heard that this engine does this..??

It would be dif. to want to place that engine in this plane...
I would like to see a OS GT33 or OSgt22 in it...
Old 11-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like it might still be a little rich on the high end.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Run a breather tube from the diaphram cover to the inside of the fuselage. It really makes a difference for setting the mixture right. I have done it to all my gassers.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:24 AM
kochj

ORIGINAL: Zippi

Sounds to me like it might still be a little rich on the high end.
That is what I was thinking...
To look at the cylinder bore on a DLE, it is amazing the engines run as good as they do for the bore is not very accurate compared with some of the others.

I looked at my TF staggerwing, and although the specs say it has more wing sq's....I compared one of the wings, and this Waco has more that the staggerwing....

I am currently trying to figure out how I am going to place my saito 5cy in the cowl....

Old 12-04-2012, 07:14 AM
eugene

Lifer.......After several deadsticks, each just as the plane was climbing out, finally totaling the YMF Bipe, on the rebuild I decided to add the tube to the plate.....Never looked back, the DLE30 was totally reliable...that was the problem all along...
I had this on all my other planes but neglected the Bipe... I urge all to use this easily added safety device...
Old 12-20-2012, 02:15 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

I'll soon be joining the clan of ARF Waco fliers!

This is a copy of the post I made on the other Waco forum!

The DLE-30 is a nice little engine I just got it in the mail the other day along with the Bisson wrap around muffler for it. Towards the end of the month I'll be placing my order for the Great Planes Waco this way I get my gasser to fly until I can get around to building the 1/5 scale kit I have and it will be a nitro burner then I'll really get the wife spun up with having two 1/5 scale waco's hanging from the ceiling!! LOL!! I seriously thought about getting the DLE-20 for the GP Waco but I went with what Great Planes had listed. Unless somebody has a better suggestion of which one would be the better of the two engines to use. I'll just have to see what happens once I have the plane in hand.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:29 PM
erans

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

RCBOATMANIAC - It's all comes down to your flying style. Ihad the SAITOFG-20 4Spetrol in it which gave it nice scale speed and performance, and Inow have the MVVS30cc Petrol which made it a true powerful "fun machine"...
The DLE30cc will provide you with similar power figures, so prepere yourself for almost unlimited vertical climb and the power to do whatever you want.

Word of warning tough - if you are using powerful engine, replace all the metal fittings for the "N Struts" as they will snap, with thicker ones.

Eran
Old 12-28-2012, 11:04 PM
kochj

I have wanted to build a AMR waco...and cringe at the site when something goes wrong, and the plane gets destroyed, or damaged...
Having the option to buy one built, although smaller, can have some great benifits..
Old 12-29-2012, 02:14 AM
erans

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

kochj - The AMRWaco look majestic (both the 33%and the 40%), and Ido understand where you are coming from with the "cringe" comment.
However, you look at the half glass empty...
Think about the exhilaration, adrenaline and the blood pumping when all goes well and the AMRWaco fly perfectly under your control...

There is no comparison that can be made between the Great Planes ARFand the AMR kit except of the aeroplane name...
The ARF has its place, and is fun to fly, but, if you can go for the AMR kit (as in budget, time and building experience / assistance from experienced builders) then for me there is no question...

Eran

Old 01-01-2013, 12:52 PM
kochj

I agree..
I would have to gid rid of all of my other planes, and then concentrate on tje amr wacco.
I am not ready to do that yet.....
I have interests in warbirds, aerobatic, and scale aerobatic, 3D ect. And pattern 2M planes.
Have yet to get them all in the air and decide which one I like best.

Who knows, I may want to put every thing into a 60% Clipped wing cub, and make some floats for it...
Or a 150cc size warbird....

Once I get it figured out, or experience it all, the I can run the idea of a BIG project....

Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 AM
RCBOATMANIAC

Hi ye'all,

Well I got my kit yesterday from towerhobbies! The box is big enough to pack a couple of kids in and ship them off. LOL After opening the box and inspecting all the parts I was beginning to think I was looking at a 90 year old woman. I have never seen so many wrinles and sags along with air pockets in my life on a ARF!! I guess I can't complain to much since it is the winter months with 16 inches of snow on the ground, I have plenty of time to iron everything out and assemble the plane before flying season. Unless I get snow skies for it. LOL
Well it is time to get back to work and stop complaining. Later
Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Take it out of the box and expose it to the heated air in your house for about a week. Most of the wrinkles will be gone. You still need to iron the covering back down but it will be a lot easier.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:45 AM
RCBOATMANIAC

Well I have run into a speed bump and wanting to find out if anybody else may have run into the same issue. Trying to fit up the fairing pieces that go around the landing gear to fuselage! The problem I am having is they are to short and they go under the fairing that is on the landing gear itself. I am considering adding some wood to it to lengthen the fairing on the landing gear to close up the space a little so the fairing for the landing gear to fuselage has something to form to be able to glue it into place.

Any ideas or suggestions would be of some help. Thanks
Old 01-06-2013, 01:26 PM
leedees

Hey guys this is a great build thread for the GP Waco. Please don't hijack it with chit chat.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:27 PM
cannonball200
My Feedback: (36)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure what you are referring too on the landing gear farrings. I had no problems with mine at all.

Thanks,
Eddie of OKC
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18201.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	1837538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61098.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1837539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42339.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1837540  
Old 01-06-2013, 02:32 PM
cannonball200

Leedees, I am confused with your chitchat statement? The Waco guy just has a question about his farring fitting correctly? I posted a pic of mine of which I had no problems installing. I know you have assembled one of these Waco arfs already because I posted you some pics back on post 855. Did you have any problems with the wheel farrings?

Eddie of OKC
Old 01-06-2013, 05:31 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

I am refering to the fairing piece that goes around the landing gear and goes up next to the fuselage. The problem I am having is that there to short and they slip in under the landing gear.

Here are a couple of pics to show what I am refering to.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40372.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	1837608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf93782.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1837609  
Old 01-06-2013, 07:37 PM
cannonball200

Dave, Take a few more pic's and call tower/great planes and if those are wrong, they will want pic's and will replace them for you. I had a ding in the wheel pant nose right where it showed and they sent me a new pair after I emailed them the pic's.

Mine were not like that so I would definitely call them.

Eddie of OKC
Old 01-06-2013, 07:47 PM
n6iap

Mine fit just like Cannonball's only I didn't drill holes to be able to remove the gear. You should talk to GP in the AM to find out what they can do. Measure your fairing at the bottom opening. Mine is 138mm or approx 5 3/8" yours should be close to that. If the fairing opening is not too long then the the legs are to small.

Good luck,

jimm
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 PM
leedees

ORIGINAL: cannonball200

Leedees, I am confused with your chitchat statement? The Waco guy just has a question about his farring fitting correctly? I posted a pic of mine of which I had no problems installing. I know you have assembled one of these Waco arfs already because I posted you some pics back on post 855. Did you have any problems with the wheel farrings?

Eddie of OKC

Eddie, your posts always useful and appreciated. I got weary of reading the many engine discussion/tuning posts that have little if anything to do with the terrific GP Waco. Nevermind me, woke up grumpy today.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:51 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

Well after a little debate with my self I came to a suitable fix to resolve the issue. A few strips if painters tape along with epoxy mixed with micro balloans to lengthen the fairing around the legs of the landing gear to make it closer to the fuselage and now I have a surface to attach the fairings to the landing gear, but the opening on the one is still a little long but usable.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:54 PM
capt_todd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok..
Has anyone flown the GP Waco with a DLE 20 yet? Lots of talk about trying it, how did it fly with it?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

ORIGINAL: capt_todd

Ok..
Has anyone flown the GP Waco with a DLE 20 yet? Lots of talk about trying it, how did it fly with it?

Thats a good question to ask since I have a DLE-20 to put in mine as well. If you ask Stickbuilder he'll say that it has sufficient power to fly the plane and as he says the plane flys on its wings and not by the power of the engine.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:38 PM
pattnut

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A local flyer here in Vegas has quit a few flights on his Waco with a DLE20 up front. It flys great. Plenty of power. I, too, have flown this plane and it will perform a good size loop from leval flight...

Old Dawg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.