Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 06:06 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

It came and it looks good, just the usual minor wrinkles here and there. I'm gonna store this for a couple of months until iget some of my other projects off the bench. Ihave a kit built P-47 that is getting scaled out and it's been sitting for the last month almost. Time to get serious now. What a deal for under $200
Old 01-04-2013, 07:56 PM
ken78cvx20
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And then there are these that are about half the price of theRCSkylights.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...161mm_2pc.html

Just ordered a set of these going to match them up with the HK retracts that are rated for 10.? lbs and see how they do. I did measure a HK retract in the wing along with the stock 3 1/4 wheel from center of wheel to retract was 160mm with retract center on rails.

Will see

Ken
Old 01-05-2013, 05:34 AM
LennyD
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for giving me a new wallpaper for my desktop!!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:44 AM
brockettman

Well I have to say I'm glad I re-found this thread! I had subscribed to it quite a while back but haven't been getting the e-mail and forgot about it!

I started my B conversion a couple of years ago and the project has been on the back burner. I have the .75AX with an in cowl muffler for the plane, but it sounds like it's a bit sluggish with that set-up. So, I'm re-thinking the power plant...

Anyhow here are a few pictures of the ARF conversion:

Build well!
Ben
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96180.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1836967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65940.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1836968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18439.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1836969  
Old 01-05-2013, 07:27 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Looks good.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hay Brockettmen,

I did this conversion of the P-51D to a "B" (with the T.F. conversion) years ago and powered my Mustang with a Super Tiger G90, with a side mounted Pitt style in-cowl muffler. The G90 hauls this bird with authority and I'm using a 13 x 6, two bladed Master Airscrew "S" series prop. I'm using Lado electric retracts and Robart struts and wheels. I also installed the Robart retractable mechanical tail wheel, and everything still works great. Its about a sweet flying P-51 your going to find and looks just awesome in the air. I have to say that it almost lands itself and makes me look good at the model airport. I just love the model.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 01-05-2013, 08:53 PM
brockettman

acdii, Thanks!

Bob, sounds like a sweet plane, hope to have mine ready for the next season. We'll see!

Sounds like the sweet spot for me will be a two stroke in the .90 -.95 range. Maybe a DLE 20 or a Saito FA-115.

I tried a JBA 15cc in my first one and it fit really nice. Unfortunately on the maiden flight the engine quit, right as the plane lifted and cleared the runway... I still have the wing and a few parts left over[:@] Traded the JBA for the 75AX i have now.

Build well!
Ben
Old 01-06-2013, 06:14 PM
raptureboy

Go with the DLE20 man you won't regret it. Ihave one in my TFP-40 and it rocks like a warbird should plenty of war power in reserve. Iwent and sold my B conversion kit here this fall thinking I'll never use this. DOH! oh well may have to buy another one.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:30 PM
brockettman

That's probably the route I'll go. The DLE 20 seems like the gasser of choice for the .60 size warbirds!
Old 01-06-2013, 07:19 PM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

After spending 1 1/2 hr tightening the covering on the wings and doing a close inspection of the complete airframe I have come to the conclusion that this is a $200 ARF. I lost count of the flaws. My TF P-51 leaves much to be desired. I'm thinking of selling this one and just building the kit.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:21 AM
raptureboy

Sorry to hear you had so many problems. I really didn't do a real detailed inspection but maybe I should. It makes you wonder sometimes when they put something on sale with such a big discount thatmaybe theydidn't get a bunch in that were factory rejects and see how many they can pawn off on the public. Those who are noobs would most likley just except it that way. I would consider the wrinkles on mine to be avg and nothing really jumped out at me as being poorly glued or deformed. Have you thought about just stripping it and glassing her? I would send Tower a detailed list of the defects and let them know just how dissatisfied you are, just because you bought it on sale doesn't mean you should expect less quality. Guess I am going to pull it out of th box again and maybe even shrink the covering.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:44 AM
KaP2011

Most people would not consider the issues I've found to be a problem. When I look at an ARF, I look at it from the prospective of a builder. So I tend to nit-pick on small details. For instance, the flaps have a radius on the leading edge. When I build a plane that has a radius like this, I put the center line of the hinge on the center line of the radius. Just works better for me. The center line of the radius and the center line of the hinge on these flaps are 1/2" apart, no way to get them close unless I start cutting and digging balsa. The covering, other than the wrinkles, looks like it was put on by an amateur. The edges and joints look awful.
I do want to change the looks of the plane but I was hoping to not have to recover it. If I had to do that then I would want to just build from a kit. But, then again, that is another can of worms that can get expensive very quick.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:34 PM
raptureboy

Yep. It's why I build them as they come and then if they survive a few years then I will tear them apart. I have excepted the fact that an arf will always be an arf and never built to the way I would do it. They are a reasonable facimilie and I try to do enough to make it look a little less like everyone else's so when I'm flying with everyone else I know mine from all the other clonesI don't understand why there are endless threads going on and on about the latetest arf lackingthis detail and that detail, when right on the box it says, semi scale or standoff scale. Oh well, I hope who get it worked out and I'm sure you can always sell it to one us cheap .**stards for 1/2 what you paidGood luck!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:49 PM
KaP2011

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

Yep. It's why I build them as they come and then if they survive a few years then I will tear them apart. I have excepted the fact that an arf will always be an arf and never built to the way I would do it. They are a reasonable facimilie and I try to do enough to make it look a little less like everyone else's so when I'm flying with everyone else I know mine from all the other clonesI don't understand why there are endless threads going on and on about the latetest arf lackingthis detail and that detail, when right on the box it says, semi scale or standoff scale. Oh well, I hope who get it worked out and I'm sure you can always sell it to one us cheap .**stards for 1/2 what you paidGood luck!
LOL, Yeah, I could do that.

Actualy, I've decided to do just what you and a local friend suggested, build it like it is with a few modifications. And, as you said, if it lasts a few years, recover it the way I would want it.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:20 PM
harttvboy04
My Feedback: (32)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just ordered mine today! Had a gift card to my LHS and they matched my Tower Club $50.00 discount. Gonna outfit a DLE 20. I have the Eflite Electric retracts - should be fun! Anything to watch out for?

Best,

Chris
Old 01-07-2013, 09:14 PM
coronabob
My Feedback: (10)

Other than the reported wrinkled covering, I am very impressed with the completeness and quality of this ARF. The instrument panel is NEAT, so is the pilot, etc. The mechanical retracts are very smooth and appear quite sturdy. I am comparing this TF ARF with the World Models 1/7 P-47 and AT6 that I have been flying. I'd give the TF a big plus regarding design, wood cut and quality, quality accessories and retracts.

I too plan to mount a DLE20 on mine. I bought a Pitts muffler from taildraggerrc. Hopefully, it'll fit nicely.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:28 PM
ton2di
My Feedback: (182)

The Top Flite planes in my experience are solid in terms of wood quality and construction design compared to the same class airframes from other manufacturers. You'll notice it especially during the assembly process.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

What's the collective verdict on the supplied mechanical retracts?
Old 01-08-2013, 04:07 AM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Hi,

The verdict is...lose the stock retracts and replace them with some good quality air or electric retracts. The stock mechanical retracts are not up to the task at all. I have used Lado electrics in mine, the one I am working on now will get a set of Wingspan electric retratcs.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:45 AM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Shawn,
Most guys are replacing the entire retract but it is the retract units themselves that are the problem. They are breaking because they are plastic and cannot handle the stress. The wire struts that come with them are pretty strong and a few of us in this thread have used just the wire struts in other retract units with no problems. I put Spring Air retracts in mine and Iused the wire strutsthat came with the plane. I had to drill out the retract unit a 64th for the strut wire to fit as it is slightly bigger than the 5/32nd wires for the Spring Airs but slightly smaller than 3/16ths.I think it ended up as 11/64ths. This way the loops in the wire fit perfectly in the wing and the was no need todo any modifications to the wingforthe wire.

So far they have been holding up but I have only been able to taxi with them, several times. I am having problemswith the engine running consistently.So it has not flown,yet. I think I have theengine problemfixed but due to other things getting in the way it has not gone up yet. Since it seems to handle taxiing okay I think it will hold up. Of course I will not know for sure until that first landing. However, other have done this and to my knowledge they have not had any problems with the wire struts giving out.

Edit: Here is where I show what I did with mine. Post 1801 on page 73.

Hi,

Old 01-08-2013, 06:59 AM
I_Fly

From what I have read it sounds like most on the forum have replaced the mechanical retracts. Ihave flown with mine with the stock retractsfor about 3 years. I broke one on landing when I had a dead stick and landed in a farm field. This was my fault. Should have belly landed and everything would have been OK.They did take a little bit of fiddling to get reliable locking in the up or down position. The amount of fiddling around could have been worse for me becausemounted a micro switch to turn landing lights on and off with the gear.

The real week point is the retract mounts. I have seen a few mounts crack orbreak on a rough landing.The mechanical retract may alsocrack when this happens.The wire strut is very strong and having something with a compressible spring seems to help. Being on a budget I ordered some struts from HKbut have not installed them yet (one of my projects this winter). The best thing to do is beef up the retract mounts as best you can. The newer kits come with somematerials (laser cut rib doublers)and supplemental instructions (maybe the latest kits have this already installed).

Other tips I picked up along the way and have used myself.

- Use some washers to shim the rear side of the retract mount. This will move the wheel further forward and prevent noise over without affecting how the wheel fits into the wheel well.
- Therecommended amount of flaps is notenough.Adjust the flaps to extend as much as you can (it's like 50 deg or over 1 inch of travel). This is almost double what the manual states but really helps with slowing down for landing.
- Toss the tires that came with the ARF. Yes they roll OKbut don't absorb shock all that well. Get some low bounce tires from Robart (my favorite), Dubro, or wherever.

Hi,

Old 01-08-2013, 07:53 AM
raptureboy

Well one thing we agree on is the DLE 20It will be my 4th one now. GP giant Ryan, GP pt-17, and TF- P-40 and now the TFP-51. The next in line will be my TF p-47 that I'm building over here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._2/key_/tm.htm Now my pilots can go through basic flight school to fighter pilot. Funny story about arfs now. There were 4 guys at my field all flying H-9 mustangs with the yellow tail, one of the guys asked how long they had been flying and another guy who hangs his watch on his tx antenna looks down to check then hegoes back toflying; or so he thought. One by one everyone starts landing and as the last one is coming in he says hey it's not responding, it wasn't his plane! Turns out he never realized his plane flew off while he was busy checking his watchOh it was too funny, sad but funny. He must of watched for 5 min thinking one of the planes was his. Make sure you know your arf when you fly with your buddies!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:53 AM
TTRotary

ORIGINAL: I_Fly

That looks more like it but measure before ordering. The wrong length could cause all sorts of issues. As it is some modification is most likely needed to accommodate the scissor in the wheel bay.

ORIGINAL: ken78cvx20

Like these

Correct, these are the ones you guys want. With the Eflite retracts, they will be as close to drop-in fit as you can get with aftermarket, besides the much pricier Robart or Century Jet stuff (I would stay away from the latter). Also, another poster offered that hobbyking has nice struts also. They are in fact the exact same product as "RC Skylite". I know, because I have bought this product from both places and it is the same manufacture. If you guys want, I can mock up a set to the eflite retracts tonight and take a pic so you see what the fit is. The HK info is correct as far as dimensions and pin size. I have 2 sets in operation on built-up planes and they have held up well. Very nice product in person - you'll be surprised that they are this good at this price.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:12 AM
TTRotary

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

I would agree with you in most cases, and I would not normally sweat the details. But in this case (1) this is billed as a scaleARF and (2) the quality of the plane I got from tower is definitely not up to par as detailed in my prior post. Retract rails glued in crooked are definitely unacceptable, as is a weak retract design that is perpetuated through many years ofARF production. Even the instructions tell you they know it is weak. How hard is that to fix? Not very. They are just lazy, and this is a TF management issue, not a Chinese build factory issue. And, I have an excellent reference point: my #1 TF .60 P-51 airframe, which is pretty close to flawless. So my conclusion is that TF can and has in the past done better. I agree that this one is worth about $200.

Anyway, no biggie; all fixable. I just get irritated because I am fairly new to this hobby and I am always amazed by how tolerant hobbyists are of stuff that doesn't work or is ridiculously overpriced. Outfits like Thunder Power, Horizon, Great Planes etc must really have been raking inobscene amounts ofdough for years before the Chinese got direct USA market access. I am also not a Hobbyking lapdog. There is great stuff (batteries, speed controllers, motors with certain caveats), but also a lot of crap.Figuring out who does what well is one of the more entertaining challenges of the hobby.

Shawn, I think I speak for the rest of us when I say that we'd all be curious as to your take on the quality given the very high build standards of the YA planes.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:01 AM
ken78cvx20
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: TTRotary

ORIGINAL: I_Fly

That looks more like it but measure before ordering. The wrong length could cause all sorts of issues. As it is some modification is most likely needed to accommodate the scissor in the wheel bay.

ORIGINAL: ken78cvx20

Like these

Correct, these are the ones you guys want. With the Eflite retracts, they will be as close to drop-in fit as you can get with aftermarket, besides the much pricier Robart or Century Jet stuff (I would stay away from the latter). Also, another poster offered that hobbyking has nice struts also. They are in fact the exact same product as "RC Skylite". I know, because I have bought this product from both places and it is the same manufacture. If you guys want, I can mock up a set to the eflite retracts tonight and take a pic so you see what the fit is. The HK info is correct as far as dimensions and pin size. I have 2 sets in operation on built-up planes and they have held up well. Very nice product in person - you'll be surprised that they are this good at this price.
TTRotary

That would be very nice to see how these would fit with the Eflight retracts.I did order a set from HK they shipped out yesterday could besome time before I have them. When I receive them I plan ontrying them out with the HK electrictretracts( trying to save some money hope it dosent bite me). I will post a picture so folks can see how they match up. And if they dont work out maybe thenI can use the Eflight retracts.

Thanks

Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.