Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Taking Turnigy G46 apart.. HOW?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Prophex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking Turnigy G46 apart.. HOW?

I crashed my newly converted glow to electric plane nose first straight into the ground. (aileron servos were reversed >.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:47 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Taking Turnigy G46 apart.. HOW?

Should have a set screw or two in the bell, "E" clip and collar on the shaft. Remove them, might just pull apart. Some times there are a real tight fit and need a lite tap with a punch and hammer. I had a Monster Power motor that was so tight I had to use a press to get it to move.

If you look at the pictures on HK site, one shows the front with the set screw and the other is the back with the collar. Behind the collar should be the "E" clip and washers.

Buzz.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:58 AM
83scamp

ORIGINAL: Prophex

I crashed my newly converted glow to electric plane nose first straight into the ground. (aileron servos were reversed >.<) The damage to the plane was not so bad, but my motor (a Turnigy G46 670kv) seems to be having some issues.

Dirt and grass got into the motor. So I took out as much as I could and sprayed some WD40 (perhaps not the best idea) in it to help get rid of the remaining dirt inside. Since the crash the motor performs about 25% less (from 800 down to 600 watt using the same setup) and makes a horrible whining noise at medium and high throttle. So I think I have to properly clean out the remaining grid still inside, but I'm unable to take the motor apart..

Does anyone know how to go about this ? How do you remove the shaft ? I can't figure it out.

Not sure about getting it apart, but never, ever, ever, use WD40 on electrical parts. Find a local supply house like Grainger, and buy yourself a can of CRC QD contact cleaner. Awesome stuff, designed for electrical, and won't leave a residue like WD40 will.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:25 AM
Prophex

Ok, I was able to take the motor apart. There was no "E" clip and it did just pull apart. (Needed some force, caus the magnets are strong.) I cleaned it out completly, blew any remaining dirt away with some pressure and put a few small drops of lube on the bearing that was hit by the WD40. Motor looked and felt like new and there was no grinding of any kind.

However it still only produced 600watt.. And today when I took the plane out, I felt a serious lack in power about halfway through the flight. Turns out it's now only producing 300watt anymore... Could there realy be a serious problem with the motor? Or could it also be the ESC? How can you test if it still works properly? (setup: Turnigy G46 + 12x6 TGS prop + 80A ESC + 5s 5000mah 25C)
Old 01-08-2013, 04:35 PM
blvdbuzzard

Could have damaged the stator. Do you have another ESC to try? How is the battery? Did it get damaged?

Buzz.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:35 AM
subzJC

I am going to take a guess and say
that the bearings are getting tighter each run.
Is the shaft bent?

I feel your pain on damaging a brand new motor.
Hang in there.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Prophex

SUCCES! I used a 45A ESC from one of my bigger flying wings and hooked it up to the G46. Straight away it shot up to 800watts again at only 75% throttle. I guess it was the ESC all along..

Here's where it got struck by a bolt inside the plane, during the crash:

Could that have been the reason? And is it repairable?
Old 01-15-2013, 03:43 PM
blvdbuzzard

You could replace the cap and see if that works.

Simple rule. If it is broken, you can not break it again so why not try to fix it. You have nothing to loose.

Buzz.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 PM
backccopy

yeah,i think so,Find a local supply house like Grainger, and buy yourself a can of CRC QD contact cleaner
Old 02-03-2013, 09:07 AM
jrlingrel

Is that cleaner similar to the contact (electrical cleaner) that Radio Shack sells, There is no Grainger near here, and RS is only a few blocks away. I have a couple of motors I buried in the sand in Abu Dhabi that I have not tried to run since running them into the ground.

John
Old 03-07-2013, 01:28 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I'm sure the Radio Shack contact cleaner is fine