Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:47 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

A METRIC pitch?  Jeez......  Can't they just pick ONE and stick with it?!  Crap like that just pisses me off.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:53 AM
DieHarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so this is the third time that my Venom Pro Charger fan has began to make noise. The last two times I took it in under warranty and Bob replaced the fan. I figured if I brought it in again, then he'd do the same thing, and it'd start making noise again 2 weeks later. So I took the liberty of taking it apart myself under the impresion that I would just oil the fan's motor's shaft. After playing around with getting the stupid lid off (It really just slid out. I tried finding screws, and got a little angry. [:@]) So then I pryed off the fan blade set and found the the shaft was attached to the blade set and it had a little magnet on it. That's when I found that I had just pulled apart my FIRST brushless motor.So I put a half a drop ofoilon the shaft, between the shaft and the magnet, and I put half a drop of oilon the outside of the magnet. I then put it all back together (With a little trouble getting the dang buttons in.) and plugged it in to try and charge a 2S. I started up without a sound. I think it's quieter than all the other fans that have been in it.So now that problem is fixed. My buddy is coming over today with his Rustler, and he wants to go bashing in the snow. I'm running 2S and he's running a 7-cell NiMh. I think it'll be fun. The dirt road isn't too sludgy and there's only about an inch and a half of snow. I plan on kicking his butt, but I might have trouble with rusting later on. He has a waterproof Traxxas, and I've got a tough, strong, amazing, non-waterproof (except for the electronics) truck. But I'll just spray a little WD-40 on it later after the snow has half-way melted.

I also have another question. There's this guy on the corner named Brian. He has a Savage HP Flux that's severely upgraded and he's a pretty cool guy. But he always is inside his house, and I've only seen him out running his Savage once. Should I ask him next spring if he wants to go bashing?
Old 01-04-2013, 02:02 PM
cumquat

take it from me, that traxxas hardware rusts QUICKER than the duratrax hardware. not completely sure why, but i have experienced traxxas screws rusting from running trough morning dew. on the flip side, i once completely submerged (and i mean COMPLETELY, as in all i could see was the antenna and the jets from the tires spinning) my ext and nothing rusted (the electronics didnt short either...).
Old 01-05-2013, 06:30 PM
DieHarder

But what about my question? The last paragraph? Should I ask him to go bashing? He's bald, about 32-35 y/o, and has a couple of earrings. He stays home alot, except when he works. He drives a '03-'05 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Is he a guy that might want to go bashing with a almost 13 y/o?

Edit: He also has 3 pitbulls with an electronic underground fence, and a cute girlfriend.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:09 PM
cumquat

i'd ask your parents before doing anything. you're young, he's a stranger and there are a lot of messed up people out there. i know a lot of people, some that are completely nuts and others that could win an award for being the most sane person in the state. thing is, you wouldnt get that from looking at them. several of my relatives look just like every body else, but if you talk to them, you realize they really should be in a soft white room wearing a hugging jacket. on the flip side, i have other relatives that look like a crack addicts, yet they make Morgan Freeman seem bat**** crazy. my point is, you cant judge someone by how they look (which i'm sure you know) and people are crazy
Old 01-05-2013, 08:31 PM
DieHarder

Thank-you cumquat for your expert and knowledgable advice.I might just do that.

Ok so also, I'm in the market for atruck (Not an SC). Something 4wd, can be fast, metal gears, strong, waterproof (If possible), and durable. I have pretty much settled on a Savage XS. But I don't know if I should get the XS Flux that's rtr, or if I should get the XS SS and build it. (I'm good with building small parts and if needed, I will look to youtube for help.) I figure that I'll have between $450-$500 into it if I get the XS SS. But it looks like the stock XS Flux is just perfect. It's brushless, 3-channel receiver, waterproof metal geared servo, a good transmitter, and it's 4wd shaft driven. I love the specs on this thing!!![X(]

I'm getting carried away with myself, aren't I?! So what's everyone's thoughts?
Old 01-05-2013, 08:53 PM
cumquat

if i was getting one and budget wasnt much of a concern, i'd get the kit. i like building, it comes with some upgrades and the system in the flux has been known to blow on 3s (not that i'd run 3s ever, but i'd rather have the peace of mind with a better system).
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 AM
DieHarder

Ok....
What kind of upgrades does the SS have that the Flux doesn't besides the aluminum shock bodies?
Old 01-06-2013, 02:46 PM
cumquat

dont remember and i'm too lazy to look. i think there's a couple of links that are adjustable in the kit but fixed in the rtr and i seem to remember there being some additional orange aluminum bits.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:35 PM
DieHarder

Couldn't I just buy the parts from the SS, and put them on the Flux? Or are they not compatible? I figured it would take a little changing to get the truck I want, but even with those changes, it's still hundreds of dollars cheaper.

I sent a pm to cumminspower5.9 and he recommended getting the Flux. Just something I thought I'd mention.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:39 PM
cumquat

i dont see why they wouldnt. you asked which i would get, and i told you. simply personal preference. nothing like building a kit for the first time.

now, if i had $500 to build a kit, i would probably get the axial exo terra. it's $200 and more capable than the savage, but again, that's just me.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:05 AM
DieHarder

Thanks for your well appreciated advice cumquat. So what'd everyone do over the weekend?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:36 PM
EXT2Rob

Kinda interesting.....I posted a thread asking if anyone had purchased a Brushless Evader recently. TSNF is the only guy who's bought one.  There aren't that many choices for a good first-timer RC vehicle under $300.  Under $200 if one starts with the brushed version like I did, and upgrade  to brushless later.  I'd have thought since the release of the Evader BL that we'd have seen a few "Just got my new BL Evader" questions by now..... Then again, maybe that says something too?  TSNF said he loves his BL. I just told him what parts to watch out for, or replace straight-away. Which is really only an issue if you put decent tires on it, and he hasn't.

My two are just humming right along.  God these things are fun!  Let me re-phrase that: God these things are fun when they don't break anymore.  Thanks to a metal diff and music wire drive pins, no more gear failures.  Now it's just replacing stuff that  WEARS out!  I am building up a list of things I need to order. Some front suspension parts are getting worn out now. I need some assorted hardware. And a new set of tires is in the near future, but lately it seems the track condition has been such that even my fairly worn Gladiators are still hookin' up well enough to produce mid-straight wheelies. It's amazing. Best track condition seems to be mid-winter? (Well, California Winter)  Just not enough sun to dry out the dirt and not wet enough to make it too muddy and slick. And you pretty much can forget about motor temps!  God I love California.[8D]
Old 01-07-2013, 11:54 PM
rclugnut10

Thats awesome to hear, and I'd love to pick up an BL Evader, I'd probally use it for parts and build up my current evader. Thought finiances are tight and RC is very much so on the back burner...

And i didn't do much worth noting this weekend but tonight i played some virtual golf which was fun

the lug
Old 01-08-2013, 09:20 AM
EXT2Rob

Here is a picture of my property snarfed from Google Earth. It's not a great pic. Apparently, they captured the image in mid-winter and early morning, as the shadows are really long, so it obscures much of the ground. But I thought it would give you an idea of what the layout of my track is.... The red spots are jumps. Not made, just....there. Mounds from when a tree used to be there. It used to be a pear orchard. Just taking advantage of the natural terrain. One of these days, I'll figure out how to make some video of us racing so you can really see what our course is like, and how much bloody fun it is!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10847.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	1838201  
Old 01-08-2013, 10:27 AM
egbasher

Yup. That's the track. Many hours of awesome racing has been done right there.
For a little scale, I think the longest straight is about 125 feet and there is an
elevation drop of about 5 or 6 feet between the top left turn and the bottom right turn.
A good lap time is around 22 seconds.

As soon as my Achilles tendon heals, I'll be back.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:07 PM
DieHarder

What happened to your Achilles Tendon? I pull mine twice a month. It's just a regular thing. If you can't race, it must be really bad. Did you rip it?!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:25 PM
EXT2Rob

Dude, if yer foinkin' yer achilles tendon twice a month, and a 13yo to boot, you need more exercise!! 
Old 01-08-2013, 06:01 PM
DieHarder

Ok...I could have taken that defensivley, but after thinking about, I decided it was funny.[&:]I'm actually about an average build of 108lbs, I have a 6-pack if I tighten up my stomach muscles, I workout daily, I run with my dog twice a week, I ride my bike everyother day, and on top of those runs, it's part of my workout to run every other day. I rarely play video games on TV, but spend quite a bit of time playing games and listening to musicon my itouch 4th gen. I'm also on RCU for an hour every night. I'm homeschooled and do alot of work. From what I hear, they have dumbed down the school books in the public schools, and I don't intend to be dumbed down with them. I'm a clean freak, and everything I own is organized. Yes,...including my RC work desk.[8D]I have 3 sisters and I'm the onlymale at home during the day. (Dad gets home around 5:00) And no, I cannot "Pinch an Inch". I never was overweight in my life, and I never intend to carry extra weight around. I don't think I could stand being, well, Fat. As far as I, and anyone else who knows me or has seen me knows, I am completely fit, and exercise more than enough. I am NOT lazy and will try the rest of my life not to be. As for strength, I am AS strong as my dad when it comes to tightening bolts or screws. (Lugnuts, assembly parts on '70's Simplicity tractors, and pretty much anything that screws in.) and no, I don't have a longer rachet than he does.

Like I said, I find this funny that you say that just because it's not true. What I said may sound defensive, but don't take it that way because I'm actually laughing a bit here.I think the real reason that I continually pull it, is because I guess I don't stretch enough before I run.[&:]I think I'm going to plan out a new stretch routine.

That's a nice lookin track by the way. I was gonna build one, but I don't have the room. [:@]Wish I lived in California, it would be an honor to race that track. Wait...what am I saying. If I lived in California, then I would miss out on all the snowmobiling. (That is, unless I live in the northern part. )
Old 01-08-2013, 06:33 PM
NoTraxxisRustler

Hey Rob,

Mine is BASICALLY a Brushless. It's got most of the parts, except for the shell. Mine is a sleeper with the old shell. The kid has a new BL shell (Blue white and yellow) and itlooks great. My new tranny seems to be holding up, but it is not as quiet as the associated diff that still graces my kid's evader, but itis doing good though.

Your comment about them being fun when you get the fragile stuff fixed . . . rang with me. . . . . I was telling my 10 year old that the other day.

I remember a lot of times whenwe would take them out and he was really disappointed bc his broke. Times when Iwanted to sell them both. Buta funny thing happened, he got to be a better driver and my tweaks worked.

We took them out to a school yard an raced last weekend and we had a blast. Both were flying . . . . brushless and LIPO. We were racing and laughing and wowing.

It was all good.

BTW - You posed the question about a month ago, about a comparson on the Hobbywing 60A vs the HW 30A esc. For our purpose they perform similar with 3200KVTACONS and 4000MAH batts.

Finally, how are you anchoring your ESC??? Servo tape is just not working for me. . . . .

PC

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

Kinda interesting.....I posted a thread asking if anyone had purchased a Brushless Evader recently. TSNF is the only guy who's bought one. There aren't that many choices for a good first-timer RC vehicle under $300. Under $200 if one starts with the brushed version like I did, and upgrade to brushless later. I'd have thought since the release of the Evader BL that we'd have seen a few "Just got my new BL Evader" questions by now..... Then again, maybe that says something too? TSNF said he loves his BL. I just told him what parts to watch out for, or replace straight-away. Which is really only an issue if you put decent tires on it, and he hasn't.

My two are just humming right along. God these things are fun! Let me re-phrase that: God these things are fun when they don't break anymore. Thanks to a metal diff and music wire drive pins, no more gear failures. Now it's just replacing stuff that WEARS out! I am building up a list of things I need to order. Some front suspension parts are getting worn out now. I need some assorted hardware. And a new set of tires is in the near future, but lately it seems the track condition has been such that even my fairly worn Gladiators are still hookin' up well enough to produce mid-straight wheelies. It's amazing. Best track condition seems to be mid-winter? (Well, California Winter) Just not enough sun to dry out the dirt and not wet enough to make it too muddy and slick. And you pretty much can forget about motor temps! God I love California.[8D]
Old 01-08-2013, 06:36 PM
NoTraxxisRustler

WOWthat looks like FUN.

Here is a picture of my property snarfed from Google Earth. It's not a great pic. Apparently, they captured the image in mid-winter and early morning, as the shadows are really long, so it obscures much of the ground. But I thought it would give you an idea of what the layout of my track is.... The red spots are jumps. Not made, just....there. Mounds from when a tree used to be there. It used to be a pear orchard. Just taking advantage of the natural terrain. One of these days, I'll figure out how to make some video of us racing so you can really see what our course is like, and how much bloody fun it is!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:31 AM
DieHarder

Yo NoTraxxisRustler,
I just noticed that you spelt "Traxxas" wrong. You spelt it with an "i". (NoTraxxisRustler) lol

Just kidding. Just kidding!

Old 01-10-2013, 01:15 PM
EXT2Rob

Hey DH, yeah, I was just ribbing you. But seriously, yer right, you should stretch more before you run if you're pulling that achillies a lot. AND stretch AFTERWARDS too. Be careful, mate!

Howdy NTR! Glad you an your son are having fun with your Evaders. Funny how the repairs go down the better you get at driving, huh? <wink wink=""> We noticed the same thing. Still, thinking back on the days when we were running bone stock, I'm at a loss to explain why we were ruining so many Top Gears, and now we're on Brushless/LiPo power, no tranny problems whatsoever. (Well except for the plastic Diff gear, till we got metal ones) ESC mounting....I just use double-sided tape, no strap or anything. But using the RIGHT tape is the key. I don't remember the brand I get (or if it has one. Losi maybe?) but the material is a silicone membrane, sticky on both sides. As long as you clean both surfaces with alcohol, and try not to touch the sticky stuff, it holds like mad. I just called my LHS....it's PARMA PRO SERVO TAPE. Here ya go....
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...tape&search=Go

Thanks for the pic comments. I really am lucky: not only do I have my own RC racetrack (that I DIDN'T have to build), but a wife who supports my enjoyment of the hobby. (She even let me order $150 in parts yesterday! God, I love her!)

BTW, an amazing thing happened yesterday..... Iwas out running my car on the track, and a Red Tailed Hawk swooped down to check it out! Not once, but TWICE. And the second time, it followed the car all the way up the straighaway about four feet above the car and about 5 feet away from me! It was SOCOOL!!!

</wink>
Old 01-10-2013, 04:35 PM
EXT2Rob

ORIGINAL: NoTraxxisRustler

Hey Rob,

Mine is BASICALLY a Brushless. It's got most of the parts, except for the shell. Mine is a sleeper with the old shell. The kid has a new BL shell (Blue white and yellow) and itlooks great. My new tranny seems to be holding up, but it is not as quiet as the associated diff that still graces my kid's evader, but itis doing good though.

Kinda interesting.....I posted a thread asking if anyone had purchased a Brushless Evader recently. TSNF is the only guy who's bought one. There aren't that many choices for a good first-timer RC vehicle under $300. Under $200 if one starts with the brushed version like I did, and upgrade to brushless later. I'd have thought since the release of the Evader BL that we'd have seen a few "Just got my new BL Evader" questions by now..... Then again, maybe that says something too? TSNF said he loves his BL. I just told him what parts to watch out for, or replace straight-away. Which is really only an issue if you put decent tires on it, and he hasn't.
Well, yeah. So are my two.....now. I was just observing that I hadn't heard about anyone around here who'd actually bought a BL Evader straight-off, new outta the box, and made any comments about it. That's what Iwas fishin' for, NTR. Cheers. tho!

Old 01-10-2013, 06:37 PM
NoTraxxisRustler

Ha! Was wondering when someone was going to ask about that! . . . . guess I'll have change my handle

NTR

ORIGINAL: DieHard1207

Yo NoTraxxisRustler,
I just noticed that you spelt "Traxxas" wrong. You spelt it with an "i". (NoTraxxisRustler) lol

Just kidding. Just kidding!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.