Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

The Official Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

The Official Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 05:09 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: The Official Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 thread

Get from hobbyking the NANOTECH batteries, at least 5000mAh and at least 30C. Also remember that hte MT4 has a small battery tray, only up to 139mm length.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:12 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

Speedeur, thats motor should work perfectly

Foxy, I don't think its a Hobbywing, the only smooth can (no fins) hobbywing 1/8 motor are the sensored buggy ones. But they are probably made in the same factory or something with all the other chinese motors
Its looks pretty similar to this
http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-lbp4074-2-5y-2000kv.html
Whatever it is, its a pretty reliable motor that has lots of power, but I'm liking my Hobbywing Xerun 4274sd Sensored Motor more, has an extra 200kv yet still runs a bit cooler than the ttr stock one. Shame there is no sensor port int he ace rc esc though despite it being based on the hw xerun 150a esc
You're right, after only a little research, I discovered that the Ripper motor is in fact a Leopard 4074.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:17 AM
speedeur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Foxy, I don't think its a Hobbywing, the only smooth can (no fins) hobbywing 1/8 motor are the sensored buggy ones. But they are probably made in the same factory or something with all the other chinese motors
Whatever it is, its a pretty reliable motor that has lots of power, but I'm liking my Hobbywing Xerun 4274sd Sensored Motor more, has an extra 200kv yet still runs a bit cooler than the ttr stock one. Shame there is no sensor port int he ace rc esc though despite it being based on the hw xerun 150a esc
You're right, after only a little research, I discovered that the Ripper motor is in fact a Leopard 4074.
It's that I don't understand if the standart motor is the 4074 with 40 mm of diameter how the 4274 with 42 mm can be ok with the stock motor mount ? the space beetwen the holes is the same for each size of motor ?

Old 01-09-2013, 05:29 AM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: speedeur

ORIGINAL: Foxy

It's that I don't understand if the standart motor is the 4074 with 40 mm of diameter how the 4274 with 42 mm can be ok with the stock motor mount ? the space beetwen the holes is the same for each size of motor ?

Don't worry, the distance between the motor mounting holes in the motor are the same whether its a 40x74 or 42x74, even a 36x50 motor will fit (obviously won't have enough bpower though)

My hobbywing motor is 42x74 and it fits and the old ripper is 40x74 and fits

btw get 2 turnigy nanotechs, the hard case ones with built in female bullet connectors that measure around 138x25x46mm each like this one

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=32707

that way you don't have to modify your battery compartment

goodnight everyone

Old 01-09-2013, 05:30 AM
Foxy

Yes, it'll be fine.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:46 AM
speedeur

ThanksHaddi Tahabut with your solution I have to take two 2s lipos to make 4s, it's not better and less expansive to take directly one 4s or one 5s ??
Old 01-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: speedeur

ThanksHaddi Tahabut with your solution I have to take two 2s lipos to make 4s, it's not better and less expansive to take directly one 4s or one 5s ??
2x2s is better for those who have 1/10 cars or saddle pack 1/8 so you can share batteries among them all

However getting a 4s pack is a bit cheaper than buying 2x2s

Performance is exactly the same between a 2x2s or a sing 4s pack

If you get a 4s, make sure its about 138x46x50mm and be mindful of where the battery exits.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:01 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know anything about ebay in France, but here in Germany I found there were lots of good batteries on ebay. Everybody loves hobbyking, but I found that there really weren't that many batteries there that would fit, AND none of them come with Deans. There are lots of batteries out there - well, soft packs anyway.

It kind of seems that with 4s hard case is the way to go, but 5s or 6s have to be soft..

So I would start by googling and ebaying - "lipo 4s deans" - then just check the dimensions, C rating, mah, and yeah, price... That's how I found my 5s soft case battery.. Cost a bit more than hobbyking, but came with Deans, fit perfectly, ready to go...
Old 01-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Haddi Taha

Yay that annoying noise is gone, it turned out I had the front cvd in the rear so they had like 4mm play back and forth, no wonder my bearings got stuffed. With the correct cvd and new bearings the noise is gone. There is still some rubbery plasticy rubbing noise (1 of the wheel hex's are stripped, 2 are semi stripped), but I think when I get new wheels and tires they should go

I was going to get badlands but a) they are too short for a mt imo and b) the tread isn;t good for hard surfaces so I am about to get trenchers on 40 series tech 5 wheels cause they are only 7mm wider than stock (the new body shell is pretty wide). I will report back when I get them how good they are. 
Old 01-09-2013, 11:56 PM
speedeur

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I don't know anything about ebay in France, but here in Germany I found there were lots of good batteries on ebay. Everybody loves hobbyking, but I found that there really weren't that many batteries there that would fit, AND none of them come with Deans. There are lots of batteries out there - well, soft packs anyway.

It kind of seems that with 4s hard case is the way to go, but 5s or 6s have to be soft..

So I would start by googling and ebaying - "lipo 4s deans" - then just check the dimensions, C rating, mah, and yeah, price... That's how I found my 5s soft case battery.. Cost a bit more than hobbyking, but came with Deans, fit perfectly, ready to go...
Can you give me some link with this 5s lipo please herrsavage ?

Old 01-12-2013, 03:22 AM
HerrSavage

Rummaged around in the cellar.. Never did care for this body on the LST2..

Old 01-13-2013, 08:17 AM
HerrSavage

Was just out and snapped my rear right CVD...

It was about freezing outside, so I figured that did it.. Weird how they're so much thicker at one end than the other..

Anyway, rummaged around all my RC8/SC8/RC8T stuff - and none of that was even close.. Then rummaged around my LST2 parts, and found a center bone, which seems like a passable makeshift. It's a bit shorter, but I guess it will work?.. We'll see.. Still gonna' order some stock ones..

(stock left, LST2 right..)

Old 01-13-2013, 10:56 AM
HerrSavage

Just messin' around. Nothing spectacular..

EDIT - OK, not working posting in the thread..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFB2b...ature=youtu.be

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFB2bguOyx8&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Old 01-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Haddi Taha

I snapped one of my dog bone ends in the exact same area (on the back right though), they were pretty beat up though before it happened and I had 30k in the rear diff at the time (Gone down to 10k now)

I was going to get trenchers but they don't fit properly and I like how the stock wheels work on every surface ok, they are very light and absorb most of the impacts so I ordered another set of them. 

My truck still has the annoying noise which is super annoying but I suspect the stripped wheel hexagons are making the noise, hopefully when my new set comes in I will find out

I removed my rear sway bar as sometimes when I take a sharp turn on concrete one of the rear wheels will lift off the ground, 
Old 01-13-2013, 04:15 PM
Haddi Taha

Just messin' around. Nothing spectacular..

EDIT - OK, not working posting in the thread..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFB2b...ature=youtu.be

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFB2bguOyx8&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
nice bashing spot!

Me just messing around infront of my house...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7ASQhJert4
Old 01-13-2013, 10:11 PM
HerrSavage

Very nice.. Brave landing all those flips on concrete with no body on..

So standing backflips are possible on 4s? I see you have a different motor in there. Is it more powerful than stock? Or is it the 50C batteries that give it that extra kick? Pretty sure mine would never manage a standing backflip... (haven't tried..)
Old 01-14-2013, 04:33 AM
HerrSavage

Are MT4 G3 and RC8T front and rear diffs EXACTLY the same - including the pinion gear?
Old 01-14-2013, 06:21 AM
Foxy

With 100k in the center diff, you should be able to do standing backflips on the stock gear Herr...
Old 01-14-2013, 02:17 PM
HerrSavage

How's a Tenshock TS X802L as a motor for the MT4 G3? Just curious.. Would running it make more power, everything else being equal?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Haddi Taha

Very nice.. Brave landing all those flips on concrete with no body on..

So standing backflips are possible on 4s? I see you have a different motor in there. Is it more powerful than stock? Or is it the 50C batteries that give it that extra kick? Pretty sure mine would never manage a standing backflip... (haven't tried..)
I could only do standing backflips on 4s with the hobbywing motor which is 200kv more than a ripper (10% more rpm). The Ripper motor could still flip the truck on its roof

I would not of got the hobbywing if it wasn't for my ripper motor burning out. I didn't want to wait long for warranty so I bought the Hobbywing 4274 Sensoreless XERUN from rcmushroom.com but I received the better, faster, smoother 2200kv sensored 4274 version instead. Then I got the ripper back from warranty and sold it to recoup the money spent on the hobbywing motor.

If you want more speed, a 5s lipo will be a better idea than a new motor

I am 98% sure that the RC8T ring gear and pinion are a drop in fit

Is this the motor your talking about or is it another one?
http://tenshock-motors.de/Tenshock-B...X801-Car-Motor

Here is a review of the above
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4W3h9jyoWs
Old 01-14-2013, 10:24 PM
HerrSavage

There is a version of that motor with an "L" on the end, which is the one for MT's, not buggies like the one in the video. I seem to hear mostly good stuff.... Cheap too.. €99 here.. Less than half what a Castle costs..
Old 01-14-2013, 11:12 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Tenshock is a similar size to the Ripper and I'd imagine efficiency is about the same between the two. Being a 6 pole instead of 4 should give it a slight edge in torque and smoothness, not enough to justify replacing the stock Ripper IMO. The only version I saw of the Tenshock you mentioned was a 1650kv, which makes it easier to run 5s or 6s and should be a little more efficient (less heat) compared to the Ripper geared for the same speed. Again, not enough to justify replacing the Ripper IMO.

I'm curious. If you were to change the motor, what are you looking for the new motor to improve upon. More torque down low, midrange or top end rush? Going to 5s with the stock motor will give you all those things. I know I expressed doubts about temps on 5s and 14t, but it was more so you'd check temps to avoid damage instead of assuming it would be no worries plug and play. And how are you liking the overall experience with electric so far?
Old 01-14-2013, 11:30 PM
HerrSavage

I don't necessarily want to replace. I'm just kind of researching the options in case my current one gets toasted - keeping an eye out for deals, etc.. I actually saw the Hobbywing 2200 for €5 more, so IF it were necessary, I guess I'd get that one..

Also, I am currently trying to sell my second LST2(again), but with no takers. So if it doesn't sell, I might keep my eye out for a conversion set and maybe some day try brushless in it.. I just have too many RC's.. I did just sell my race buggy (RC8.2) recently though. Still, five nitros and one brushless right now. Trying to unload an LST2 and the DM-1(s) currently, but no bites. The DM-1 I like nitro, but with two LST2's - both bashers too since I gave up trying to make the second one into a track truck.., well, why not convert one of them?

So far I have to say I really really like it.. It's not just the power, but the ability to walk out the front door and turn it on, with the radio in my hand and an extra battery and a few tools in my backpack, that I get a kick out of. I live in the city.., so I've been running it in places where I could never run nitro. I still love nitro, and am looking forward to running nitro again. But I am very limited as to where - and when (quiet time everywhere in Germany on the weekend from 1-3pm.. On most race weekends even you have no racing in that period.. Tremendously fxxxing stupid.., but hey..) - I can run it. Running my nitros always entails packing everything up, and driving off somewhere where I can run them - and there aren't too many of those places locally.. And the good places are one to two hour drives (when fuel for the real car costs €1.60 a liter..)So yeah, what I like about brushless is just being able to go out the front door and turn it on, and walk up to the park.. Right up the road, like 100 yds, is a huge public park, so I've run it there a few times.. Again, never could run nitro there - all the families and old ladies out for their Sunday walk would be up in arms.. With electric on the other hand, I could walk up to the park for a romantic picnic with the wifey, bottle of wine, baguette and tapas in the backpack, maybe an extra battery and some tools..., and bring my MT4 along... Ha ha..

Seriously though, I like it so far. More than I would have expected.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:20 AM
Haddi Taha

glad to see your liking the brushless. 

A 6 pole tenshock truggy sized motor will be great.... Only issue is that you have to solder your own plugs on

The Hobbywing Xerun 4274sd is a drop in fit with no soldering required. However, if you want to run 6s I would rather get the 1800kv or 2000kv version than the 2200kv
Old 01-15-2013, 02:31 AM
HerrSavage

Really? Why? I thought 2200 was the ideal number to look for, since that's what the Castle is everybody seems so crazy about... Thanks for the input..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.