Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

AMR 33% Waco YMF-5 Build

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

AMR 33% Waco YMF-5 Build

Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: AMR 33% Waco YMF-5 Build

Thanks VJ,
Yeah that would be sweet, I have another 22yrs to go[&o]. I will need to build a pole barn just to keep my models as long as I can keep from crashing them.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 01-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: VincentJ

That came out sweet Anthony. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to stay home (after retirement) and work on your planes? I think about it all the time now,I've got another six years.
I think about it constantly as well! Only I have 15 years to go. Sorry Anthony, but I'm gonna beat ya to it! Of course there's somebody else that has us all beat...

There's only one flaw in this retirement thing, when I get there I probably won't be able to afford it.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Lins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

34 years to go maybe for me? [:'(]
Old 01-08-2013, 12:04 PM
mango12

I will never be able to retire. The planes I am building would bankrupt the government, wait.............
Old 01-08-2013, 12:27 PM
WacoNut

Back to reality,

I added filler pieces to the front former where the stringers end as well as the aft formers. This will give a good atatchment point for the covering and keep the covering looking right.

The nose ring (boot cowl) has been mounted and it lined up perfectly with the mounting holes on the ply ring from the other fuselage.

I checked the luggage door for a proper fit and all is well there.

Going to work on mounting the fiberglass hood. It oly takes around 80 screws to mount the hood[&o]

I am making better progress than expected and it will be ready for covering soon. I will place an order for the fabric this week and a quart of dope. I did discover I have quite a bit of pinked tapes left over from the previous Waco build as well as the 1/3 Cub. The Cub tapes are yelllow but since I am going to primer and paint the plane it does not make a difference. I will use what tapes I have then order enough tapes to finish the job. I had around $300 in tapes on the Waco last trip around.
Later!!
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26841.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1838238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32746.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1838239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19135.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1838240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80378.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1838241  
Old 01-08-2013, 01:53 PM
WacoNut

The fiberglass hood has been installed.
The fit is good, the hood does need some repair work to fix a few fractures from the crash as well as the nose ring.

I decided I am going to go ahead and inistall the front instrument panel and remove the former in the middle of the cockpit. I may leave the crossmember in place that the former is sitting on. For the most part it will be out of sight. If I put a cover over the front cockpit I would still have to remove most of the former to keep the cover from contacting it when it is stretched over the cockpit opening.

I need to make some clearance for the center section wires and get them installed and work on covering the fromt wire with wood. Alot of little odds and ends need wrapped up before covering and paint.
Later!!
Anthony

Name:	Hf98615.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1838263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55279.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1838264  
Old 01-08-2013, 01:58 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's giving me goose bumps. Every piece is closer to the end of the tunnel. Man! If I only had half your skill!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:05 PM
WacoNut

Robert your giving me way too much credit. I have seen your work.

I do see the light at the end of the tunnel but it is just a speck. It is really going to slow down from here on out.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:06 PM
acerc

Yes, slow down it will. I only give credit where credit is due. Nice!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:30 PM
bonanzadrv
My Feedback: (21)

Anthony...

I am so glad I found this thread.. My Genesis 33% percent waco has been all framed up for about 5 years, and then I lost interest, started a full scale homebuilt, got married, and had two kids....

Now I want to get back to the waco. I really did not like the way all the sheeting was so thin and weak. But now I see AMR has no sheeting and its all fiberglass parts.. I am going to email Dany now to see about getting just the fiberglass parts.. Also I had no idea what to use for the tail wheel now I am going to order the robart 657...

I have been back and forth on finishing it..... I built a balsa usa cub with a full Stits covering job. It turned out ok but was tons of work.... I was even thinking of just slaping some monokote on this thing and being done.

But watching your thread I am excited to see how your covering goes, I think i am leaning back to fabic finish....

I know I will have tons of questions, thanks for the great info!

Bill
Old 01-08-2013, 02:42 PM
WacoNut

Hi Bill,
Give Dany a call and I am sure you can buy the glass parts you need.

I will be covering the Waco with Poly-Fiber Lite Uncertified the last tme I used Sig Koverall. I am either going to use Klass Kote epoxy paint or automotive basecoat/clearcoat paint. The Poly-Fiber Lite is a bit heavier but takes less coats of dope or Polycrylic to fill the weave.

For Gods sake don't put Monokote on the Waco. That would be a crime IMO.

The Robart tail wheel works really well and looks good. The spring is a little on the weak side but it does OK.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will try to answer.
Anthony
Old 01-08-2013, 04:33 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Been retired since 2003. Retirement is not what it is cracked up to be, believe me.........it's much better! Worked on the Waco this morning and then played 18 holes of golf.

Chuck
Old 01-08-2013, 05:03 PM
WacoNut

Gotta go rubbing it in don't ya

Should have kept working on the Waco, beats chasing a little white ball around the grass
Old 01-08-2013, 05:22 PM
chuck l

ORIGINAL: WacoNut

Gotta go rubbing it in don't ya

Should have kept working on the Waco, beats chasing a little white ball around the grass
How right you are!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:10 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

ORIGINAL: chuck l

Been retired since 2003. Retirement is not what it is cracked up to be, believe me.........it's much better! Worked on the Waco this morning and then played 18 holes of golf.

Chuck

Just had to rub in the 18 holes of golf!!! Try playing golf up here in New York you'd lose all your balls in the white stuff on the ground. I'm kind of waiting for the weather to change so I can get in some Harley Therapy!!!

Name:	Qo39400.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	1838360  
Old 01-08-2013, 06:11 PM
acerc

What the .... Dave, a real biker rides anytime!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:15 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

ORIGINAL: acerc

What the .... Dave, a real biker rides anytime!
The snow isn't an issue it is the 20 deg temp with a 55 mph wind chil would be a little to much. LOL
Old 01-08-2013, 07:16 PM
chuck l

Nice bike! 84 degrees on the course this afternoon. The only white stuff was in the sand traps.

Any way, I'm installing the upper wing center section, and putting lots of time in to get it correct. All the fittings will get bonded in tomorrow morning. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Chuck
Old 01-08-2013, 09:41 PM
bonanzadrv

Ok guys here are a few pics of how it has been for about 6 years..... I am going to call Dany about fiberglass hood and wing fairings.. The nose ring is all done and cowl mounted so i wont be changing that to fiberglass..

I plan to just blend the fiberglass top hood in with the back of the balsa nose ring and then sheet the rest of the nose with balsa.

I think I am going to cut lighting holes in the top sheeting and not remove it all.. Not sure until I see how it all fits..

I was kidding about the Monokote thing (though I did think about it) I know this plane needs fabric...

What did you guys use to make the aileron skins???

Let me know if you guys see anything I goofed up ........

Bill

Name:	Ol31516.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1838448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34877.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1838449  
Old 01-09-2013, 02:44 AM
WacoNut

Bill the build looks good,
I covered my ailerons with fabric and completely filled the weave and primered and sanded until they were smooth then added Plastistruct triangle stock to simulate the corrugated skins and added rivet detail. Once painted they looked very convincing.

I don't know if I would worry about cutting lightening holes in the sheeting under the hood as you aren't doing to save much weight and the nose will need extra weight anyhow.

That radial is sweet. That would be enough motivation for me to work on the Waco 24-7 until it was flight ready
Later!!
Anthony
Old 01-09-2013, 04:10 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: WacoNut

The fiberglass hood has been installed.
The fit is good, the hood does need some repair work to fix a few fractures from the crash as well as the nose ring.

I decided I am going to go ahead and inistall the front instrument panel and remove the former in the middle of the cockpit. I may leave the crossmember in place that the former is sitting on. For the most part it will be out of sight. If I put a cover over the front cockpit I would still have to remove most of the former to keep the cover from contacting it when it is stretched over the cockpit opening.

I need to make some clearance for the center section wires and get them installed and work on covering the fromt wire with wood. Alot of little odds and ends need wrapped up before covering and paint.
Later!!
Anthony
Wow, you are coming along on this rebuild very nicely...

Bob
Old 01-09-2013, 05:15 AM
nine o nine
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Bill, Looking at the pix of the builld it appears you have the landing gear made of aluminum covered with carbon fiber. That gear is first generation and the aluminum is too soft. AMR has a newer gear of much stouter construction which you should ask for. Mitch
Old 01-09-2013, 06:47 AM
Lins

ORIGINAL: nine o nine

Hi Bill, Looking at the pix of the builld it appears you have the landing gear made of aluminum covered with carbon fiber. That gear is first generation and the aluminum is too soft. AMR has a newer gear of much stouter construction which you should ask for. Mitch

Interesting, I have the same gear and I can't remember who it was at AMR I talked to, but they said they preferred the old gear.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:05 PM
WacoNut

Hi Bob,
The Waco has my full attention now and I am excited about getting it back to flight status. Couldn't stand to look at it for quite a few months after the crash.

Mitch,
Long time no see, how many flights do you have on your Waco now. If you don't mind post your balance setup and the throws you are flying with.

Bill,
Did you contact AMR and what did they have to say?

The wife and I have custody of our 5yr old grandson and tonight we have the house to ourselves so I am taking a break from the Waco.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 01-09-2013, 02:40 PM
bonanzadrv

Just had a great conversation with Dany at AMR.

After I told him that I had most of the sheeting already installed he told me to forget about the fiberglass parts and just glass the sheeting with 3 layers of 3 oz cloth to really make it strong and give a good base to sand it smooth. (a big problem I have is trying to get all the seems round without sanding thru the 3/32 in sheeting.)

I talked with him about the gear and he said the carbon fiber gear are fine. He said the only reason AMR changed the gear was because of the length of time it took to build and do the carbon layup...

So I guess I am just going to glass it and sand it to shape....

I also ordered the tail gear from Robart today. After looking at my fuse I see it has solid 1/2 thick balsa sides back there, so I will have to do alot of cutting up to get it in there, and then it will be in forever!!

Bill

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.