Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 10:36 PM
oldtyme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

ORIGINAL: mikeywart

Thanks RedBiscuits ... there must be a story behind that

First let me say fantastic job .. I'm looking forward to getting some glass on mine.

1) I can't decide on how to make the inner doors actuate. Air, servo, spring loaded ? I have read much on the subject. I'm working with Robart air gear and have a EMS sequencer. This sequencer can operate servos or actuate another air valve. I like the air idea using cylinders, yet I feel like I'm getting away from the KISS principle.

The UP3 would have been a good option, but I already have the robart system installed.

I like to set things up right the first time. Any thoughts, easier route, equipment recomendations ?? Specifically what piston travel (for air) is neccesary to open the inner doors? I was thinking 1 5/16''

2) This question is for the gentlemen who is doing the Hun Hunter Scheme (Ron I believe) Where did you get your decal for the cowling? This is the scheme I chose as well. I'm only and hour away from the real one Have seen her up very close

Regards,
Mike
Mike,

I'm not Ron, but I'd recommend Bad Brad's Graphics. http://www.badbradgraphics.com/index.html
I've done business with him for over a year and he is a real stand-up guy and his prices and shipping are really reasonable. Check him out!
Andy
Old 01-06-2013, 04:14 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[/quote]
Mike,

I'm not Ron, but I'd recommend Bad Brad's Graphics. http://www.badbradgraphics.com/index.html
I've done business with him for over a year and he is a real stand-up guy and his prices and shipping are really reasonable. Check him out!
Andy
[/quote]

Brad is great. I have used his graphics service for the past three years,he always responds tomy reqests the same day, has my order cut, shiped and at my door in days.

TB
Old 01-06-2013, 08:26 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

This is a link to "Scale Speciaties" They carry wing pylons, static props ect. As I understand it, these are the folks who made parts for "Aerotech". Recieved a real nice e-mail from them.

http://scalespecialties.com/
Mike,
welcome to the thread and I would like to be the first to say, your jug looks great, nice and clean build.............

Thanks for the link as well, I was pretty bummed that Aerotech went out of biz.. Nice to know that some parts are still around.....

I can't help on the inner doors, but I know there are folks in here that can and will.. I really want to know as well, with the TF gear in the location they are, it's got me wondering how as well.....

Once again, welcome..

Jimbo
Old 01-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: TonyBuilder

Hi Gary, long time no see. Im getting ready to start my TF GS P47 build. Should have my kit next week, cant wait to start building. See you at the filed some time soon.

TB

Hi Tony,
Welcome, looking forward to your build as well... This thread has been great, with so many builders doing the same plane.. It's really nice to see all the different approaches on the same task, the saying "your never to old to learn new things" really holds true here. Some great ideas and awesome workmanship, a very skilled bunch for sure....

Jimbo
Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 AM
RWHorton

First let me say fantastic job .. I'm looking forward to getting some glass on mine.

1) I can't decide on how to make the inner doors actuate. Air, servo, spring loaded ? I have read much on the subject. I'm working with Robart air gear and have a EMS sequencer. This sequencer can operate servos or actuate another air valve. I like the air idea using cylinders, yet I feel like I'm getting away from the KISS principle.

The UP3 would have been a good option, but I already have the robart system installed.

I like to set things up right the first time. Any thoughts, easier route, equipment recomendations ?? Specifically what piston travel (for air) is neccesary to open the inner doors? I was thinking 1 5/16''

2) This question is for the gentlemen who is doing the Hun Hunter Scheme (Ron I believe) Where did you get your decal for the cowling? This is the scheme I chose as well. I'm only and hour away from the real one Have seen her up very close

Regards,
Mike
Mike I made the nose art, If you would like I can sell you my spare set I made. My intentions are to make a second cowel with working cowel flaps. But that is later this year. Everyone I tried to get to do it was either way over priced or they didn't want to do it, so I did it myself. They are water slide and look really good. Send me your address and I'll mail them to you. I'll let you come up with a price when you get them.

Ron
Old 01-06-2013, 10:41 AM
RWHorton

Regards,
Mike
Mike I am doing air cylinders for the inner gera doors, I am waiting on the cylinders I ordered and when I get them I'll post som pictures and details how I installed them.

Ron
Old 01-06-2013, 02:04 PM
minimax
My Feedback: (31)

Many thanks to all for making me welcome and kind words. I rarely post much, somewhere I heard its better to listen than speak

Ron, Sent you a PM .. What brand air pistons did you order/ length?

A little more progress.... cut inner gear doors.

Anybody hate flaps and retracts like I do [:'(]

A little tip for you that have yet to glue your leading edge onto your flaps. I glued a twist right into my flaps when I glued the leading edge following the instructions. I believe if you cut the leading edge into (3) pieces instead of (2) per instructions this would not have occurred. Cut the longer piece in two.

I wound up cutting the leading edge again and wetting/weighting down. arrgh!

Thats right.. . we do it twice, cause we do it right

Cheers,
Mike

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92398.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1837521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69085.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1837522  
Old 01-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Mustangman40

Many thanks to all for making me welcome and kind words. I rarely post much, somewhere I heard its better to listen than speak

A little tip for you that have yet to glue your leading edge onto your flaps. I glued a twist right into my flaps when I glued the leading edge following the instructions. I believe if you cut the leading edge into (3) pieces instead of (2) per instructions this would not have occurred. Cut the longer piece in two.

Cheers,
Mike

Right with yaon the flaps Mike, don't think any of us enjoyed doing them. Just something that has to be done, kind of like yard work, sucks doing it, but then you get to sit back and enjoy it...lol
The gear doors look good, will be watching you finish them up.......

Jimbo
Old 01-06-2013, 03:43 PM
RWHorton

Cheers,
Mike

I bought them from HobbyKing, Haven't recieved them, as soon as I get them I'll let you know about them. I ordered two different sets, wasn't sure which ones I needed but the price is right.

I hope you guys don't mind but I can't tell you how much help I recieved while building my plane so I would like to help in anyway I can.

Ron
Old 01-07-2013, 10:05 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Yates,

Thank You for the Christmas card, that was a nice surprise when I got home. Same to you and yours buddy.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:39 AM
yates55

Thank you also for all you have done Gary, hope you had a great Christmas and New Years also.
not much time in shop for me with the holiday's bussiness and the weather has been great so plenty of flying when not working
for me

Peace and Thanks

Yates
Old 01-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Steve_S-RCU

Hi All,

I am building this kit and have been enjoying this forum. I wanted to ask how people where cutting the fiber glass for the gear doors?

Steve
Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 PM
oldtyme

ORIGINAL: Steve_S-RCU

Hi All,

I am building this kit and have been enjoying this forum. I wanted to ask how people where cutting the fiber glass for the gear doors?

Steve
Steve...........welcome to this thread from a fellow Oregonian that lives in Bend and is working on this plane as well. I happened on to this good bit of information at at this thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...mpage_4/tm.htm page 4 post's 90, 91 and 92 and in this thead look at page 38 post 939. These were very helpful to me. I haven't done it yet but at least I know where to find the info now.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 01-09-2013, 07:17 AM
redbiscuits

Capt. Alfred F Eaton has just been deployed.

Name:	Sq47284.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1838500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18362.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1838501  
Old 01-09-2013, 08:10 AM
minimax
My Feedback: (31)

ORIGINAL: Steve_S-RCU

Hi All,

Steve
Steve,
I'm new here too. I have found all here to be very helpful.

I used my bandsaw to cut the outer perimeter of all my gear doors, cuttting outside the line and then using my disk sander to smooth things up. The cuts to make the halves were done with a fine tooth zona saw.
Before making any cuts in the fiberglass, I made a mockup out of 1/16th ply, triming,fitting and checking angles before cutting the fiberglass.

In retrospect, If I do this again, I may make them out of several layers of thin ply then face them with a layer of styrene for finish purposes.

Faster, Not as messy... durability? I don't know. See pics of this idea.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Name:	Ge94524.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	1838528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88828.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1838529  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:50 AM
TonyBuilder

Gary, the captin looks ready for action, where did you find him?

TB
Old 01-09-2013, 09:57 AM
redbiscuits

Ebay, He is a 1/6 scale WWII GI Joe pilot figure. Much better than paying $50-$100 bucks from some outfit specifically geared towards our hobby.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:00 AM
TonyBuilder

Great find, I wonder if Major Matt Mason will fit in mine?

TB
Old 01-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

You sure you didnt take that from your son?
Edwin
Old 01-09-2013, 10:46 AM
redbiscuits

Hahaha, No, but he's gonna want it that's for sure!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Steve_S-RCU

Hi oldtyme and mikeywart,

Thank you very much for the help!!

Steve
Old 01-09-2013, 04:25 PM
yates55

How much does your pilot weigh Gary?

just wondering

yates
Old 01-10-2013, 04:52 AM
redbiscuits

As soon as he arrives I will put him on the scale, I just bought him yesterday and he hasn't shipped out just yet. I guess he's still hanging out with the girls in the officers club.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:09 AM
TonyBuilder

May I aske what you nogotiated his contract for? I've seen some vintage pilots on eBay for as much as $200+!

Old 01-11-2013, 05:13 AM
redbiscuits

Sure...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150972756832

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.