Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Electric, glow, gasser. Just choose one

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Electric, glow, gasser. Just choose one

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:38 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric, glow, gasser. Just choose one

Electrics for me, all sizes. Went over to the dark side last year.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:38 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: k3 valley flyer

Gas is cleaner but I find set up with elelectrinic ignition, extra batteries and switches, smelly fuel, mixing oil, a pain. Gas biggest con is Vibration, constant checking for loose bolts, mufflers, etc. It does get better as ways are found to keep things tight but after 3 or 4 flights you better do a thorough check that everything is still in order.
I was much like this before I really forayed into gas and found this not to be acurate. You can run a single battery now with a device like the Ultra IBEC from Tech Aero for example. No need of any extra switches are anything like that. I have not had any issues with excessive vibration at all.

If an engine is vibrated bad something is wrong and needs to be fixed. I had one thing lossen up on one of my gas planes over the entire year last year. That was it - over an entire year of flying and I put some time on my planes! I can only state my experience and don't know about others, but I found the four strokes to be much worse vibrating than the gassers.

I was very relunctant at first to fly gassers and was thinking, this ain't all that much. Now after a year and going into my second season of flying gassers, the glows are sitting and as a matter of fact I have sold off most of them. I am down to four now and plan to get rid of one more and just keep a couple small glows for the funfly gigs.

If gas is set up right and tuned good it will run for years. I know guys that have gas planes sitting a long time and bring them to the field and crank them up, run them a bit and off they go!

Some of the things that are really nice with gas is the sound, raw low end power, simple setup (single switch, single battery, no fuss), tune it good and leave it alone, fuel economy is out the roof, super easy starting, and cosmetics are nice plus as well. I was a die-hard glow man and now I rarely fly a glow plane.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:59 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

The reason I started this thread is because Im converting to the dark side (electrics mainly with few gassers, no more glow).
I went to the field this morning with two planes (i always carry two for just in case), both electrics.
A 53" Extra and a 65" Sbach. Ohhhh what a pleasure, I did not even carry paper towels with me, no glow plug ignitors or Windex bottles. Just a lawn mower battery and my charger, 2 batteries for each bird, took 30 mins to charge them.
Those 30 mins I went chit chat with everyone else and look at the poor guys flipping the props of the glow engines until they were out of breath.
Today Im goingto pull the trigger on a big 71" AJ Slick and guess what??? Yes it will be powered by electrons. LOVE THEM

Old 01-13-2013, 03:24 PM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Luchnia sounds like you are doing well with gas. I have never had vibration issues with glow engines from 25 to 150 either 2 or 4 stroke but gassers, especially in the 40 to 50 size give me problems. I am learning some of the tricks but gas requires things I never had to do with glow. Others I know who are now using gas engines have had the same learning curve. My gassers are also larger 1/4 scale planes and as I get older finding the smaller 60 to 90 glow planes easier to load, field assemble, etc. The big ones do look nice though.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:33 PM
codycarlisle25

Glow for me. I prime them and rarely need more than 1 flip to start them from that point. Who in the world runs out of breath from that. When I clean my plane, it is after a great day of flying. I really don't mind at all.

I do use electric power on my simulator. Not only do I not have to wipe off the mess, I don't even have to haul around an airplane or batteries on the SIM. I'm thinking if you want to be lazy go all the way!

Cody
Old 01-16-2013, 03:43 PM
lopflyers

Flip once[X(], by hand? What glow engines you own? Saitos I bet. In my short experience flying RC planes (3yrs) I have rarely seeing a glow engine start by one hand flip. Except for maybe well tuned saitos.
Call me lazy but I go to the field to fly, not to fiddle with engines
Old 01-16-2013, 04:44 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Warbird40

I only fly glow mainly because I enjoy tuning engines. Yes, electric is convenient, but the sound is what makes the plane in my opinion. I will try gas as soon as my budget allows it. Meanwhile, all glow for me. My engines have been very reliable and once they are tuned for the first time, very little adjustments are needed.

Best regards,
Ed
Glow for me also, for the same reasons stated above. Gas would be second with electric not even an option.[:'(]
Old 01-16-2013, 05:44 PM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

My glow engines start very easily. Rarely does it take over 1 flip to start them. Priming them does vary with weather conditions, but that is a learned and the engine has a feel to it when ready to start. When you apply power to the glow plug and turn it thru compression you will feel it bump. At that point, when it feels right, it will start with one flip every time for me. When you learn how to set them up properly( alot more than just setting the needles correctly), glow is extremely dependable and easy to use. I am sorry that some of you had poor experiences running glow.

To me, it is very rewarding to make a glow engine perform consistantly well. I have seen some ugly results of the learning curve for electrics ( try a burned down shop), and a battery fire in an airplane hanger and it wasn't just any full sized airplane(s) in that hanger. Obviously, results with any type of power can vary considerably.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:38 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

ORIGINAL: turbo.gst

My glow engines start very easily. Rarely does it take over 1 flip to start them. Priming them does vary with weather conditions, but that is a learned and the engine has a feel to it when ready to start. When you apply power to the glow plug and turn it thru compression you will feel it bump. At that point, when it feels right, it will start with one flip every time for me. When you learn how to set them up properly( alot more than just setting the needles correctly), glow is extremely dependable and easy to use. I am sorry that some of you had poor experiences running glow.

To me, it is very rewarding to make a glow engine perform consistantly well. I have seen some ugly results of the learning curve for electrics ( try a burned down shop), and a battery fire in an airplane hanger and it wasn't just any full sized airplane(s) in that hanger. Obviously, results with any type of power can vary considerably.
I have to agree with every word of this. I have been quoted often as saying that if it won't hand start then I don't want it. I have hand started everything from .049 to 170cc. My current two glow engines are mounted in my race planes, both Rossi's a .45 and a .61 rear exhaust. Prime them and back flip, works first time just about everytime. All it really takes is a willingness to learn. I do see where the OP is coming from. A quick look around my club and I see guys all the time who are struggling with engines. The common thread is that they usually don't ask for help and when they do it is rarely followed.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:05 PM
lopflyers

This is a hobby, IMHO is a lot more exciting than any other, better than golf, fishing, cycling. It is better because is more difficult and the adrenaline rush is more.
Everytime you take off you are risking your beautiful, not cheap, precious airplane. For me the excitement is being in the air. 
I almost quit the hobby because of the frustration, you are ready to fly, you waited for your day off, you charged your batteries, you drove several miles to your AMA sanction field and........ Your $&@€£¥ glow engine decided not to start. 
I know for some people in this hobby the excitement is to build, then they sell them because they don't have the guts to fly them, others like the excitement of fiddling, fixing and tuning engines, for me the trill is to fly then.
I don't even assemble my ARFs, I pay someone else to do it for me.
So for me whatever takes me to the wild blue yonder faster is my choice.
That's why I started this thread. If you count the votes, gas is first glow second and electric is a far third, that's why it is THE DARK SIDE.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:08 PM
speedracerntrixie

Learning how things work makes you a better pilot
Old 01-18-2013, 11:07 AM
k3 valley flyer

I agree Speed, the guys who can't or won't learn how to use glow and try electric usually end up frying those. Glow engines don't decide not to start, they don't decide anything! The user has to decide to get help and listen to those who have learned to use them correctly. The same is true of gas or electric, they all have things one needs to understand if they are to be used and enjoyed long term. These are not video game toys.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:49 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

It's too bad more guys don't try glow; there's nothing like the sound of a tuned pipe winding up on the bottom side of a split S.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:21 PM
lopflyers

GLOW: Good Lord Obsolete Warlord. 5%, maybe 10, o no it likes 30%. F plug, no short plug, maybe hot one. Electric starter, no chicken stik. No way mine starts by hand.
You like noise? Gassers make at lot of that.[X(]
Tank too low, line pinched. Vibratessss.... Maybe the prop is not balanced, no, it's the spinner.

Are you kidding me? Electrics start or don't start. Batteries are an exact science. They are charged or they are not. You come to the field to do what you like FLY. The flying time is shorter but you jump that hoop by having at least two or three charged batteries with you all the time.
Would you keep a car that only starts 50% of the time? 
The defense rest. 
Convert to the DARK SIDE
Old 01-19-2013, 11:51 AM
lopflyers

Ahrrrrr, I just came from the field, today I took my 56" Sbach( electric) and my gorgeous 70" Yak, with a TT 120, one of the three glows I still have. After one, yes one 10 min flight the Pitts muffler came loose. It was adjusted w high temp lock tied like a months ago.
See what I mean? Is that my fault, is it because I don't know how it works?
Old 01-19-2013, 08:11 PM
speedracerntrixie

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

Ahrrrrr, I just came from the field, today I took my 56" Sbach( electric) and my gorgeous 70" Yak, with a TT 120, one of the three glows I still have. After one, yes one 10 min flight the Pitts muffler came loose. It was adjusted w high temp lock tied like a months ago.
See what I mean? Is that my fault, is it because I don't know how it works?
Ok lets answer this with a few questions. Answer my questions for find your answer.

1. Did you clean the screws and threaded holes with acetone or an equal solvent before applying a thread locking compond?

2. How did you balance the prop?

3. Are you certain the engine is not running too hot?

4. What type of washers do you have under the muffler mounting screws?

5. What tool did you use to tighten the screws?

Would you take your car to be worked on by a non trained " Mechanic " and then when the work he performs fails blame the car designers?

Old 01-20-2013, 08:22 AM
lopflyers

Hmmmm, lets see
1. No I didnt use acetone. I use isopropyl alcohol

2. The prop was balanced with a Dubro balancer and a file. It s a Vess wooden

3. I dont have a temp sensor, but I think it is not hot. It idles well and start easily almost without rest

4. The washers are the standard ones that came with the Bisson pitts muffler.

5. The tool: a screwdriver

Am I doing something wrong??? Or are these the joys of glow engines?? The process of taking out the cowling and re attach the muffler took the time to fly electric 3 times
Old 01-20-2013, 08:24 AM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

+1

One other consideration is maintenance. After I get a plane airworthy, I do a post flight inspection after every 10 flights, but I fly them pretty hard on the "G" scale. Check for loose things and look at your wear points. I have some planes that are 25+ years old and still flying. I have had to replace control rods & horns, pushrods and hinges after this. You also look at your glue joints. ARF's are notorious for poor glue joints especially the firewall. If I fly an ARF, I re-glue and pin the firewall. Glow engines require some maintenence. I have yet to wear out an engine, but I have broken two due to bad wrecks in my time in R/C.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:03 AM
speedracerntrixie

Hmmmm, lets see
1. No I didnt use acetone. I use isopropyl alcohol

2. The prop was balanced with a Dubro balancer and a file. It s a Vess wooden

3. I dont have a temp sensor, but I think it is not hot. It idles well and start easily almost without rest

4. The washers are the standard ones that came with the Bisson pitts muffler.

5. The tool: a screwdriver

Am I doing something wrong??? Or are these the joys of glow engines?? The process of taking out the cowling and re attach the muffler took the time to fly electric 3 times
The only thing that sticks out here is the use of a screwdriver. Maybe just terminology but IMOit would imply that you are using slotted or phillips head screw. Most muffler screws are cap head for use will an allen driver or allen wrench. This is done so you can get a little more torque on them. If you are indeed using slotted or phillips screws that are non standard are you sure they are the correct size? That TT will use 4mm screws. 8-32 will thread into the hole and tighten down but is just a smidge smaller.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:12 AM
lopflyers

I meant allen drliver, instead of wrench
Old 02-01-2013, 10:56 AM
fly24-7

Given the current availability of product for the three options, I'd say glow. Now, when more options in the 10-20cc size for gas come around, I'll convert to gas. I primarially fly 40-60 sized planes. I do have a 30cc aerobat, but don't fly it that much.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:29 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I meant allen drliver, instead of wrench
You can not get the bolts tight enough with an allen driver. And the Locktite is doing more harm than good. Install them dry or with High Temp Silicon Sealer (it is red) and tighten them as tight as you can get them with a regular, L shaped, allen wrench.

Do NOT use a gasket of any kind. I can't emphasize that enough. The gasket will shrink after you install it and that loosens the bolts. If the joint leaks, use the Silicon Sealer to coat the mounting face of the muffler before you install it.

Make sure the muffler is not touching anything. If it touches the engine mount or any part of the airplane it can work loose.

I have used at least 50 Bisson pitts mufflers over the years, on engines from .40 to 2.10 and never had one come loose.

Jim
Old 05-19-2013, 06:25 PM
049flyer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Glow is as simple and inexpensive as it gets for powered flight.

If you can't figure out how to run a glow engine you will NEVER figure out electrics or gas.

The only downside I can think of for glow is the oil on your plane after a flight. Been wiping off planes for almost 50 years, I'm kind of used to it now, in fact I sort of like it. Forces me to perform a post flight check of the airframe and control system. Amazing how many disasters have been avoided by fixing problems found this way.

For the record, I rarely use an electric starter as all of my engines start easily by hand. A few more flips usually required on a hot engine though.

The proper operation of your chosen power system will require gaining knowledge no matter what type of system it is.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:53 PM
fly24-7

None of the three options are all that tolerant of inattention and carelessness. With that said, if you properly size the motor, prop, speed control and battery when putting the plane together, you can pretty much expect a trouble-free experience going forward.

I don't fly much electric because of limited flight times and "appointment" battery charging. There have been times when I felt compelled at the spur of the moment to fly one of my electrics. Problem was, I couldn't because I had none of the batteries charged.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:09 PM
lopflyers

I always charge my batteries right after I fly them. They are always charged.
I'm slowing converting all my planes to electric, but still have two glows and one gasser, sat I took out my Saito 100, well the muffler came loose
And right after the prop came loose. That does not happen to electrics!!!
I wasted precious flying time fixing those at the field.
Electrics 1 glow 0

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.