Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Am I missing something here?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Am I missing something here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 06:10 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I missing something here?

Stopped by the local "sorta hobby shop" yesterday (HobbyTown) to buy some wheel collars, of course none in stock had to order em.[:@]

But anywho, they were just setting up a display of new items. Figures, they waited till after Christmas.

There were about a half dozen each of 1/16th Panthers and Bulldogs. The boxes showed Taigen/HengLong on them.

Took a look at both of em, smoke and sound versions, but 100% NOT metal, not IR, not 2.4. Nothing but plastic, and was not that impressed.

And really lost any thoughts of buying when I saw the sticker price.

$259.00 plus tax![X(]

Granted I run 1/6th scale, and nothing against the 1/16th tankers, but these things looked like something from Wally World in their condition.
I seriously doubt those things would last more then a day in some kid's hands.

Looked up the tanks and see em gong for under a hundred bucks from places like Raidentech.

Are these folks nutz or did I miss something.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:37 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Am I missing something here?

They must have a "high overhead", so buyer beware when buying from them.

I have one 25 miles away that I get most of my supplies from and occasional a kit or two as well. Like two years ago before Christmas I wanted to buy the "War of the Worlds" 1/48 flying machine, assembled. They normally sell for around $34.00, but this before Christmas tag on it was $54.00.

Not doing that. [:@]

Four months later it was NOW $38.00 and I picked it up. And you could tell a price tag was pulled off that price tag too, so it was the same one. The same goes for the HE RC tanks. WAY overpriced, but one must factor in the shipping costs too when making a decision over the HS, which I want to support... but not at those prices.

So, overhead is the reason.

~ Jeff
Old 01-12-2013, 06:56 AM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hobby Town shops are birds of a different feather. From the three shops I have dealt with, they are not into 1;16 and only geared up for 1;35/1;48 and RC aircraft. Don and I set up 2 very nice shows at a Hobby Town in Charleston, had killer displays and did some RC demos, even building some houses to maneuver around for the occasions. Lots of positive coments, and full support of the manager, but only a couple were interested in RC tanks, except for cheap bang up stuff for younger kids. One dealer doesn't want anything to do with Tamiya 1;16 as he had a Leo in the shop for 3 years and couldn't sell it due to extremely high price. One dealer here won't even talk about 1;16 RC...he's an exceptionally talented scale modeller but in 1;35. I took a couple to a show and just got cut down because of non authentic details such as RC antennas, tracks and other small details relating to RC movement as opposed to highly detailed static 1;35 models. Maybe your shop is just trying to make a quick buck off items they are not really into handling.[]
Old 01-12-2013, 07:37 AM
Panther F

Well, most of these "Brick N Mortar" shops need to get in touch with reality. Most who buy from them do not shop online at all, but if their profit margin needs to be that much then maybe they should look into a different distributor... to be competitive with online retailers.

Take glasses for instance. I had an eye glass appointment at a major retailer and it cost $50.00, but the glasses I was interested in were $90.00, and they were your normal metal framed glasses with nothing special about them. BUT, I know of an online wholesaler I can get 2 pairs SHIPPED for about $64.00... and did. All I needed was the crucial measurements and I was set. Plus, just now they had one of the pairs I just bought on clearance for under 6 bucks. So I bought a third pair from them shipped for under 4 bucks. And believe you me, they are quality glasses.

My Mom is resistant to the Internet but it's the new way to get things today, but using some intelligence at the same time selecting who you buy from. This is what has happened to most of our Hobby Stores... they did not understand that there is an existing competition and people have a choice.

~ Jeff
Old 01-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I should feel lucky, my area hobbytown has an after Christmas special, a non metal "pantiger" can be had for only $185.00
The staff looked at me really strange, when I was the only one standing there laughing like I was told a very funny joke. I am all for supporting them, but everytime I go in they are out of whatever I need. Doesn't matter what it is I need they are out of it
I mean how can you be out of olive drab paint all the time. They told me, they always run out.........well then stock more, dumbasses. And I don't live close to one anymore, think cows, and horse farms where I live. So I don't go there for supplies anymore. I only stop if I am in the area. It's a shame.

Cheers
Wade
Old 01-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Panther F

ORIGINAL: Rebellion13

They told me, they always run out.........well then stock more, dumbasses.

Cheers
Wade

Exactly! The HS here only stocks a few bottles of the Ambroid Cement I use, but a ton of their name products and only a few Tamiya paints... both spray and bottles. Like it's gold or something. []

Like you, I don't make special trips there anymore and only if I'm in the area.

Oh, and the Ambroid... they are sold out again. Even if I had to buy all 4 of them.

~ Jeff
Old 01-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Green Amphibian

I live 2 miles from my local RC hobby shop (King RC). This shop stocks everything I need, except tank parts. They do order stuff for me that I want though. Paints, glues, plastic, brass, electronics, radios, you name it and they have it. I am soooooooo lucky!

Herman
Old 01-12-2013, 09:56 AM
modelbob71

Hi Herman,
How far is King NC from Charlotte NC ?
Old 01-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Ronan87

Local store is always out of crucial basic stuff like paint and glue... Even their MIG stand is always 80% empty... Restocking takes 1-2 MONTHS and everything is vastly overpriced... Then you pay 15% taxes!

It's insane... And totally stupid. No point having a GIANT warehouse of overpriced stuff and be out of stock of basic material...

Last time they had a big tugboat r/c on sale for $350 instead of $499. Same one can be had for $200 on eBay. 
Old 01-12-2013, 11:31 AM
Panther F

ORIGINAL: modelbob71

Hi Herman,
How far is King NC from Charlotte NC ?

99 Miles / 160 Km
1 hour 46 mins

You're on the Internet!

~ Jeff
Old 01-12-2013, 11:59 AM
pattoncommander

Guess it makes a big diff where you live and what's cool in the area. One Hobby Town here has all kinds of 1;35 models and accessories and or course RC flying things of all shapes, NO RC tanks or any larger scale materials. I have locally, a tiny family operated hobby store, set up primarilly for railroad modlers. It has nearly any type paint I need in bottles or spray, and they have airbrush gear. A huge display of HO & N guage RR accessories and a few 1;35 and 1;48 vehicle kits....big selection of styrene sheets, rods, flats, I beams etc.....also balsa, other woods and metal supplies....but NO 1;16 tanks, so nearly all my modeling stuff I can get from there. For tools, 1;16/18 accesories and tanks, it's all internet.

As Jeff wrote, people have to wake up to see where the market is going in most circumstances....but on the other hand, if they're doing pretty well in RR hobby or RC aircraft is the real big seller with not much in the area to convince them that they should stock a new "unknown" item with questionable sales possiblities...the I-net is about the only chance most of us have. Don and I were working a Charleston shop into getting some HL tanks to start off, but then his health went bad and everything stopped. A few shops are getting there, but it's going to take time to see local hobby shops with 1;16 scale RC tanks and accessories.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Baron Fel

modelbob71,Right up I-85, about 45 min to a Hr. Exit 75 I think.

Baron
Old 01-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Green Amphibian

From Charlotte come up Hwy 52N to exit 123. Turn R at exit light. Turn L at second light and it is right in front of you behind the bank and drug store. There is plenty of stuff to shop and they are big on helicopters, planes, cars, boats, and plastic static kits.

Herman
Old 01-12-2013, 05:19 PM
BIGMIG

Don't think anyone will have to worry about cheap prices for HL tanks from Raidentech anymore.........Looks like they give up selling tanks.Glad they were there when i was buying them.........got the cheapest price from them.....Fast shipping.......And for a long time the shipping was free............

Had a few here who liked to badmouth them every chance they could..........So now i find that rather funny...Won't bother me as i have no plans of buying anymore tanks so don't care what they cost.

There was a time here when this forum was pretty active and a lot going on.Now if you rule out those who have more interest in selling their wares here on the forum rather than posting builds...not much left.

Ebay was the same at one time...lots of used tanks selling there in the past ( was never a good place to buy new tank )....and now is dead with only the rip off clowns trying to sell.....

I won't even go in the local hobby stores anymore......Everyone selling has to make a profit on what they sell....But those clowns go over the top on their mark-up prices....They can all die on the vine as far as i'm concerned....

BIGMIG
Old 01-12-2013, 06:34 PM
FreakyDude

well all brick and mortar stores need to make more because of their higher costs. Chains make even more off there products  just because in most cases they can, ay for the wall street fatcats.
I started my shop because my LHS who I went and tried to support wouldn't even bother ordering me parts. Everytime I came in, just their 1/35 model tank guy said hello to me because we chatted about the different tanks in wwII once in a while. 
The rest of them were too busy selling buggies and planes and didn't like my 50 bucks every couple weeks.

I only buy paint and some glues at my LHS now and that is because my personal volume is too low to justify buying it anywhere else. If that model guy ever leaves though I can find it other places.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:47 PM
ROLLIN ARMOUR

HOBBYTOWN in my are Blows. Tamiya paints always out of stock. Low 1/35th stock on hand and 1/16th forget about it. But there are two other chicgoland hobby shops I visit which have good invetories of painting supplies. The one shop even carries 1/16th Tamiya RC Tanks. I just picked up Tamiya 1/16th static kubelwagon for $66.34 plus tax. I got my 1/16th RC Tamiya Pershing there for $550.00 plus tax.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:20 PM
interstates

I've only ever been into my LHS once, just before Christmas.
I got a catalog in the mail, and inside was something that caught my eye straight away- a Forces of Valor T34, for $99.
I couldn't resist- had to have it!
While I was there, I noticed they had nothing else to do with tanks- planes, buggies, model trains seem to be all they sell.
Still, I guess I got lucky- I love the T34, and it was something I really wanted.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:48 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: interstates

I've only ever been into my LHS once, just before Christmas.
I got a catalog in the mail, and inside was something that caught my eye straight away- a Forces of Valor T34, for $99.
I couldn't resist- had to have it!
While I was there, I noticed they had nothing else to do with tanks- planes, buggies, model trains seem to be all they sell.
Still, I guess I got lucky- I love the T34, and it was something I really wanted.
oooooooh do you have a pic T-34 is my Favorite Tank
Old 01-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Dandelion5

Glacier,
Is that in Daytona? I dropped in a shop there the other day and same thing. Ridiculous. My shop in Orlando doesn't carry anything other than VStank. It's an untapped market here in Florida, we have tons of mud and areas to run them, but very few tankers I believe because no one sells the 1/16 tanks. 
Old 01-13-2013, 12:04 AM
interstates

Sure thing!
I hope this works, I'm not batting 1000% with the iPad yet.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65221.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	1839760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18155.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	1839761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96346.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	1839762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Km96934.jpg
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	1839763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zl60363.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	1839764  
Old 01-13-2013, 01:40 AM
mortak

Ahh... nice display.... didn't think about displaying tanks on the ceiling... saves me shelf space....

Old 01-13-2013, 01:42 AM
mortak

Always liked the t-34... Their just sooo hard to find and modify into a good RC combat tank... still waiting for tam/hl .....

Old 01-13-2013, 02:12 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Dandelion5

Glacier,
Is that in Daytona? I dropped in a shop there the other day and same thing. Ridiculous. My shop in Orlando doesn't carry anything other than VStank. It's an untapped market here in Florida, we have tons of mud and areas to run them, but very few tankers I believe because no one sells the 1/16 tanks.

Nope, other coast. You must be talking about Graves. Would be nice if they upped their inventory. That place is Valhalla if you fly though. That is a hobby shop!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:20 AM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: interstates

Sure thing!
I hope this works, I'm not batting 1000% with the iPad yet.

there i fixed them for you
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40993.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	1839785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87954.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	1839786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89811.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	1839787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97817.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	1839788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te46996.jpg
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	1839789  
Old 01-13-2013, 06:09 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Is it me or do the wheels look a little small on this T34.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.