Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New Top Flite P-40 60 sized arf

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New Top Flite P-40 60 sized arf

Old 10-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Antoinebobrob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Top Flite P-40 60 sized arf

Are any modifications needed to install Seirra instead?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Aluminum Overcast

Robarts are decent but do have some weak spots, it's an old design, really. Personally I have not had any issues with my gear folding on grass fields but I do take care to be delicate on landings. Oleos definitely help cushion the airframe and gear mechanism too. Recently I did modify the area where the half gear meshes with the side support of the gear by hammering in a dent which put more of the side support deeper into the half gear when in the full down position. This is the weak spot as the gear often does not mesh very well with the side support and when a sharp rap to the gear occurs it is here that will allow the gear to fold. Anyway, I did this by first, disassembling the gear, opening a vise a small bit to support the gear side support and, using a small flat bladed screw driver and hammer dent out the area between holes that the half gear fit into when the gear is extended into the down position. This seems to work very well but you will have to test fit as you go. Too much of a dent and the gear will not actuate smoothly Attached are some crappy images of what I did, hopefully they will help describe more clearly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28562.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1807404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64833.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1807405  
Old 10-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Aluminum Overcast

Robarts are decent but do have some weak spots, it's an old design, really. Personally I have not had any issues with my gear folding on grass fields but I do take care to be delicate on landings. Oleos definitely help cushion the airframe and gear mechanism too. Recently I did modify the area where the half gear meshes with the side support of the gear by hammering in a dent which put more of the side support deeper into the half gear when in the full down position. This is the weak spot as the gear often does not mesh very well with the side support and when a sharp rap to the gear occurs it is here that will allow the gear to fold. Anyway, I did this by first, disassembling the gear, opening a vise a small bit to support the gear side support and, using a small flat bladed screw driver and hammer dent out the area between holes that the half gear fit into when the gear is extended into the down position. This seems to work very well but you will have to test fit as you go. Too much of a dent and the gear will not actuate smoothly Attached are some crappy images of what I did, hopefully they will help describe more clearly.

Name:	Jh15632.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1807406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63121.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1807407  
Old 10-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Antoinebobrob

Thanks
Old 10-03-2012, 05:08 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not swap them out? Just curious why your selling the Lados instead of swapping out the Robarts. I see that Magnum RC no longer sells them but is now selling the Wingspan retracts.I only could find them on the Lado site and Ibelieve they are in France now. They don't say on their web site. Anybody know of a US. dealer?
ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: raptureboy
Good luck with the Robarts. If your flying off grass they tend to fold up on you. If you can swing the money go with the Sierra precision gear, well worth the money and frustration from having to repair your plane and fix the gear each time they collapse.
I've had many successful takeoffs and landing with Robart 615s, almost exclusively on grass runways, and have NEVER had them 'fold up'.
Sierra is not without issues either: they don't rotate linear (most of the rotation occurs within the 1st half of retraction).

In my opinion tho, for the P-40: Lado retracts set-up for 3/16" dia strut wires are the best way to go.
BTW: I have a such a set for sale: $150 shipped. I installed Robart #102 mechanical rotating retracts in mine, but wish I had gone with the Lados.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:34 AM
raptureboy

Nice idea, AO I do have the 615's with the struts and 4" wheels and most of my landings are pretty smooth but our field has been a little rough this year and when the wheel torques in a little the links give out. I just ordered 2 complete sets and with shipping they cost me $37$11 to ship fedex when they could put them in an envelope and for $1.50 mail them USPS. I just got in some Wingspan electric retracts but
I 'm sending them back because they have so much slack in them when they are down. They are constructed really well with heavy links and side frames, but the rotation ball link setup allows to much rotation of the strut back and forth. It's a shame because I really like the simplicity of being electric and being able to easily adjust the delay stagger. You have to wonder why Robart has not improved on these after all these years and offer something inbetween these and their giant scale versions. with so many planes coming out now in the 12-14lb weight range, these can barely handle the 10lbs they are rated at.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:46 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not swap them out? Just curious why your selling the Lados instead of swapping out the Robarts. I see that Magnum RC no longer sells them but is now selling the Wingspan retracts. I only could find them on the Lado site and I believe they are in France now. They don't say on their web site. Anybody know of a US. dealer?
Good luck with the Robarts. If your flying off grass they tend to fold up on you. If you can swing the money go with the Sierra precision gear, well worth the money and frustration from having to repair your plane and fix the gear each time they collapse.
I've had many successful takeoffs and landing with Robart 615s, almost exclusively on grass runways, and have NEVER had them 'fold up'.
Sierra is not without issues either: they don't rotate linear (most of the rotation occurs within the 1st half of retraction).
In my opinion tho, for the P-40: Lado retracts set-up for 3/16'' dia strut wires are the best way to go.
BTW: I have a such a set for sale: $150 shipped. I installed Robart #102 mechanical rotating retracts in mine, but wish I had gone with the Lados.
The installating is completed. Modifications were made to accommodate the mech retracts and servos. The best way to make a change would be start with a new wing. I've put some time and resouces into the installation, I'm just thinking that it would have been better/ easier to install the Lados.

I have also determined that the Lados would NOT be appropriate for a Corsair or Hellcat, but would be ideal for a P-40 (due to the landing gear 'pod', which allows it to be moved much farther forward than it could be in a 'podless' wing).
Old 10-03-2012, 05:51 AM
CorsairJock

Aluminum Overcast, some people (including myself) accomplish the same thing by shortening the upper/ front connecting tube, thereby insuring tighter gear mesh when the gear is down. About 1/32" works.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:05 AM
CorsairJock

Nice idea, AO I do have the 615's with the struts and 4'' wheels and most of my landings are pretty smooth but our field has been a little rough this year and when the wheel torques in a little the links give out. I just ordered 2 complete sets and with shipping they cost me $37[img][/img] $11 to ship fedex when they could put them in an envelope and for $1.50 mail them USPS. I just got in some Wingspan electric retracts but
I 'm sending them back because they have so much slack in them when they are down. They are constructed really well with heavy links and side frames, but the rotation ball link setup allows to much rotation of the strut back and forth. It's a shame because I really like the simplicity of being electric and being able to easily adjust the delay stagger. You have to wonder why Robart has not improved on these after all these years and offer something inbetween these and their giant scale versions. with so many planes coming out now in the 12-14lb weight range, these can barely handle the 10lbs they are rated at.
Once again, time to roll out my old 615 modification post:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=1438302

THIS MODIFICATION WORKS, MUCH BETTER THAN I EXPECTED!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:21 AM
raptureboy

I saved this along time ago back when I was building a Hellcat. Definite improvement, I used helicoils instead because I found them easier and cheaper to come by. The gear tooth arrangement is definitely a weak point and it would help if they made the side frames out of 1/16" aluminum instead of stamped steel. Here are what the wingspan retracts look like and are a drop in replacement for the 615's.

Name:	Qo39342.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1807469  
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Antoinebobrob

Hey guys, where can I buy remote glow fixture for the P40? I am going to use the 120 pumped from OS. I have never used a remote glow fixture before. I don't want to make a hole in the cowl for the glow igniter. I would like to put the glow igniter just above the air inlet valve like on this blog: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=1336
Scroll down to the finishing part.  
Old 10-04-2012, 01:10 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In your area it's available on the Hobby King site under glow engine accesoriesv, I just checked
Old 10-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Antoinebobrob

Thanks. P40 arriving next week!
Old 10-18-2012, 11:39 AM
raptureboy

+1 this works great. Igot in 2 nice flights last evening and the landings were great. Really helps to take some of the slack out. Changed out all the set screws for 6-32 button cap screws also.

Aluminum Overcast, some people (including myself) accomplish the same thing by shortening the upper/ front connecting tube, thereby insuring tighter gear mesh when the gear is down. About 1/32" works.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:07 PM
CorsairJock

[img][/img]+1 this works great. I got in 2 nice flights last evening and the landings were great. Really helps to take some of the slack out. Changed out all the set screws for 6-32 button cap screws also.

Aluminum Overcast, some people (including myself) accomplish the same thing by shortening the upper/ front connecting tube, thereby insuring tighter gear mesh when the gear is down. About 1/32'' works.
I did same thing with the screws: replaced them with button head allen screws (I don't recal the size tho). They are easier to tighten, AND they are more compact (head has thinner profine). Buy a quantity of them, I'm thinking 50 or more wouldn't cost much more than just a few.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:43 AM
raptureboy

This is a great source for hardware. Don't be shocked by his shipping charges though because his cart system is out of date and can't figure out how to add 1 shipping charge. He will email you with the normal shipping charge around $5 http://www.jrhobbyhardware.com/shop/
Old 10-20-2012, 02:28 AM
Antoinebobrob

I will stay with the 615 then. I will also be using Robostruts. Im just curious, the retracts are for 10 Lb planes. I see that most of your planes are weighing more than that. Is this a problem?
Old 10-20-2012, 02:42 AM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: Antoinebobrob
I will stay with the 615 then. I will also be using Robostruts. Im just curious, the retracts are for 10 Lb planes. I see that most of your planes are weighing more than that. Is this a problem?
How well ANY landing gear is related to 3 main items:
1) how much the aircraft weighs. More weight = more stress on the landing gear (and airframe)
2) runways condition: personally, I prefer grass runways, and use the 615s with great success. BUT, things like 'varmit holes' can cause havoc when they 'swallow' wheels. I'm not condoning grass runways, they just work better for me because that's what I am used to. What I am saying tho: they need to be smooth/ free of obstacles and irregularities.
3) (and this is probably most important) pilot skills/ ability to land warbirds smoothly and consistently. A mistake can take out any landing gear in otherwise good conditions (I've witnessed CenturyJets get trashed on a Hangar 9 Corsair, coming in way too hot on in otherwise good conditions).

I like the 615s, have had good success with them on my Corsairs, BUT I also perform mods on them (listed elswhere in this thread). I consider them to be the best option for Corsairs, but since I haven't tried them on a P-40 yet: cannot say the same for them.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Antoinebobrob

P40 arrived yesterday! I have tested the retracts and they seem good. I will soon buy the engine and the servos.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:56 PM
raptureboy

Make sure yo do the mods to them they really improve your chances of a smooth landing and help prevent chin rash.Good luck!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Antoinebobrob

Hey guys, I just finished mounting my engine but I can not find an engine exhaust header. I have an O.S 120. I would like to find a 90º elbow and a 10 cm flex pipe. Anyone know where I could order this?
Old 01-13-2013, 05:24 PM
raptureboy

Try Tower hobbies
Old 01-14-2013, 06:48 AM
Aluminum Overcast

Macs has some nice stuff as well. Download their catalog as the website seems to be hard to dig through right now. I have their 90 degree header and corrugated tubing and with a little grinding was able to hide it completely along with the rest of the engine and muffler in the cowl. Mine is mounted on the YS 120ac.

http://www.macspro.com/dave/dir.asp?subdir=4-cycle/

http://www.macspro.com/headers_side.asp and this source.

I have their muffler on mine....good quality stuff it seems.

http://www.pspec.com/details.asp?ProdID=52&category=4
Old 01-15-2013, 05:17 AM
Antoinebobrob

Thanks. I just finished installing the radio system in my P40.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:22 PM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres my new one, powered with a DLE 20 up front, no added weight to balance! Full bodied pilot, century jet retracts. Plenty of power, cruised at 1/3 throttle, ballistic at 1/2 and 3/4. Sweet flying plane!!!

Name:	Zx70342.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	1857903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63327.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1857904  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.