Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Turnigy LiPo and Deans connectors

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Turnigy LiPo and Deans connectors

Old 01-15-2013, 07:04 AM
flyer2488

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turnigy LiPo and Deans connectors

I ordered 2 Turnigy 6s 5000 mAh batteries and they have 5.5mm bullet connectors installed.

-Has anyone been able to solder a Deans to the thick 8 gauge wire leads?
-Do you cut the connectors off, or unsolder them to remove them?

I have been reading up on it and some people seem to be having some issues.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:35 AM
ByLoudDesign

Default RE: Turnigy LiPo and Deans connectors

When soldering large wire you need several things without exception. A non-corrosive soldering flux, a soldering iron [NOT A Gun] at least 250W, 500W OK also, Solder flux [Electrical NOT plumbers paste as it is corrosive]and solder for electrical use [NOT Plumbers solder]. I sould cut off the old connector, as you want to start with clean bare wires. Strip the wire only as far back as necessary to insert it in the bullet. Twist the wires to control the loose ends. Apply flux, allow iron the heat to FULL temp, with wire held in a clamp or other device to free you hands take the solder in hand place the iron under the wires end. the flux will boil, when this happens apply ONLY enough solder to tin the ends, excess solder will make it difficult to force the wire in the bullet. Put a little flux in the bullet, insert the wire. Again with the iron at FULL temp, place it on the bottom of the bullet, the flux will boil and you should see the solder on the wire start to melt. Apply solder to connection, again a bunch of extra solder only adds weight, the important solder should be in the bullet!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:48 AM
flyer2488

Ok sounds good, but I use deans, would you recommend sticking with the bullet connectors with that gauge of wire?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:25 AM
ByLoudDesign

I prefer the bullets, I think it is a horse apiece. The bullets make a easier build! It is all about surface area and the tightness of the plugs connections!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:43 AM
cubaneight

The Deans connectors are just not up to the job of handling the large currents drawn from a 5000ma/hr battery (maybe 125A with even a 25C battery). The contact area is too small and will introduce heat and voltage drop, reducing efficiency and possibly causing the connector plastic to melt especially when the conducting surfaces start to get dirty. Although it's a pain having several types of connectors to deal with, the large connector on your battery is there for a reason and could cost you a model if you fit a smaller type.

Hope this is of use.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:44 AM
ATVAlliance

ORIGINAL: cubaneight

The Deans connectors are just not up to the job of handling the large currents drawn from a 5000ma/hr battery (maybe 125A with even a 25C battery). The contact area is too small and will introduce heat and voltage drop, reducing efficiency and possibly causing the connector plastic to melt especially when the conducting surfaces start to get dirty. Although it's a pain having several types of connectors to deal with, the large connector on your battery is there for a reason and could cost you a model if you fit a smaller type.

Hope this is of use.
This was what I was going to say. So...+1