Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

RC Calculators

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

RC Calculators

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 10:24 AM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Calculators

I have created and published an Android app called RC Calculators. The Web site is at [link=http://rccalculators.com/Home.aspx]RC Calculators[/link]. The app is on Google Play and more details are [link=http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.donstegall.rccalculator]here[/link]. It is also on the Amazon Appstore and you can use the app like it is on a phone using TEST DRIVE NOW on the [link=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ZEI7TE/ref=mas_pm_rc_calculators]RC Calculators[/link] page.

I will be releasing a new version this weekend with a battery voltage calculator for LiPo, LiFe, NiMH, and NiCd batteries.

I'm working on a CG and a MAC calculator. The CG calculator is wing planform based and I'm wondering if I should add horizontal tail area and moment measurements to it. I have an article that appeared in a NMPRA book in the 70's that goes into detail on CG calculation. It is fairly comprehensive. What I'm wondering is if for a "ballpark" app like this is if getting into that detail is needed.

I plan to add a lot more calculators to RC Calculators and I welcome input and ideas from all. I want to cover aerodynamics as well as electrical and mechanical calculations.

I recently added a drill size chart. I had been given the idea of adding a prop chart and one day I needed a drill chart. So I added the drill chart. I broke out the drill charts into a FREE app [link=http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.donstegall.drill*****art]here[/link] on Google Play, and [link=http://www.amazon.com/Don-Stegall-Drill-Bit-Charts/dp/B009NIELEQ]here[/link] on Amazon Appstore. Like RC Calculators, you can try it on Amazon using TEST DRIVE NOW.

I'm working on desktop browser based versions of the calculators.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Lnewqban

Default RE: RC Calculators

Yes, I believe that you should add horizontal tail area and moment measurements to it.

Great work !!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:24 AM
juansilva

This is great man did you do all the coding yourself?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 AM
DonStegall

I did most of the programming. In the fall of 2011 I inspired my son Matthew to start programming for Android using Eclipse and the Android SDK with the app as the goal. I worked with him to design the way the spinners are used for the unit selections and he developed the Unit Converter. He came up with a slick method to keep everything in metric and to use coefficients where possible. He took my code for a Pitch Speed calculator and did an implementation of it. It was a lot of fun working with him as he was looking at things from a fresh perspective. His school work load got too heavy though in his senior high year and I took over in early 2012. I revised his code to make it more robust and to save state. Plus I worked on making the UI more consistent and I developed 5-6 more calculators. My goal was to get it released in April, but the calculators are challenging to develop with the flexible inputs and unit selections.

RC Calculators does not have a lot of installs. It is a little disappointing as I use the app a fair amount. So I know it is useful. I have a new release ready with a Battery Voltage calculator. I need to get it published.

I am working on more calculators. And I’m working toward being able to do a Windows 8 Store version. I don’t have enough time to do an iPhone/iPad version right now.

Drill Bit Charts is doing pretty well. It should break 1000 installs on Google Play by the weekend. And it has a lot of installs on the Amazon Appstore.

Thanks for the feedback. Comments are welcomed. Suggestions for new calculators or features are appreciated. Even if they are common calculations, having them in the palm of your hand or on your tablet is convenient.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:32 PM
DonStegall

The free edition of my RC Calculators Android app is now online at Google Play. It has banner ads in it on most of the pages. I created this version so that people can try it out before they buy it and get the Ad-Free edition. Even my wife uses the Unit Converter. My goal is to enhance the paid edition with a lot more useful calculations. http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...alculatorsfree
Old 11-18-2013, 09:28 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Don, you simply cannot determine the CG from ONLY the wing. Any CG calculator has to have the full range of model details that you'll see listed in some of the online CG calculators.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:02 AM
DonStegall

Thanks. I have found various CG calculators including one for canards. Someone may have pointed me to that in this thread.

I am back at work on RC Calculators and working on more calculators. I learned the Google AdMob interface so I could put out the Free Edition.

I'm also working on iPhone/iPad and Windows Phone versions. I will do a Windows 8 version as well as a web based solution. This is a long term project for me. I will continue to advance the paid editions and the web based one.

If you have an Android device, please install the Free Edition and give me some feedback.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:43 AM
DonStegall

BTW, the Drill Bit Charts app is available on Windows Phone 8. You can see it at http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...4-fe356ae796e0.

I'm making progress on the Windows Phone version of RC Calculators.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:01 AM
DonStegall

The RC Calculators Free Edition is now available on the Amazon Appstore for Android. So Kindle Fire users can get the Free Edition now.