Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

combo for racer

Old 01-15-2013, 07:40 PM
JTANK78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default combo for racer

i have a b4.1 and want to upgrade from the rtr motor and esc.... what is a good combo to go with, i like castle and stray away from novack> thanks everyone
Old 01-15-2013, 07:51 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Default RE: combo for racer

For that little buggy you might actually like the Novak setup, sensored, of course. I have a buddy who runs it in his and swears by it, best setup he's ever used. I have no personal experience on it, but I would take the advice of a life-long racer and consistent A-main top finisher any day
Old 01-15-2013, 08:10 PM
mattycole

What is the difference..sensored or sensoreless
Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 PM
kaycerc

I never understand why people ask for equipment advice, and then immediately follow it up by blowing off good quality equipment while going for lower common denominator stuff.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:52 PM
JTANK78

i was told at the hobby shop that a few years ago novack was at the top of there game but the past few years novack has been catching fire according to the guys at the shop
Old 01-15-2013, 08:53 PM
JTANK78

not saying i know it to be true but if my car catches fire i will poo myself
Old 01-15-2013, 08:57 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Personally, I've only seen one Novak go up in smoke, and that's because the tool plugged his bullet battery connectors in backwards.

As for sensored vs sensorless: Sensorless, I found, is best in applications that require little finesse and caution, as it is more like having a light switch, or a 3-speed control.

Sensored allows for smoother power delivery and is, IMO, better suited to smaller, more finicky classes, like the 1/10 2wd buggies
Old 01-15-2013, 09:05 PM
JTANK78

ok lets throw novack in the mix what do you like for 10th scale buggy

Old 01-15-2013, 09:18 PM
mattycole

Great my son is wanting brushless on his torment what addvice would u give me on combo,servo,shocks,gear set up.i mean the whole enchilada price in the medium range. All suggestions greatly considered
Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 PM
FahrtAutoRC

I'd give some serious thought to a Novak Ballistic 10.5 for a good rounded motor in that buggy, or check into Tekin, they are also tops in that category, IMO.

I'd keep it around 10.5, btw, you can go as low as 8.5 but too much torque in that application is really just overkill. You could go as high as a 17.5 turn and test your consistency on the track, too hehe

Seriously though, keep it near the 10's

ORIGINAL: JTANK78

ok lets throw novack in the mix what do you like for 10th scale buggy

Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 PM
FahrtAutoRC

In all honesty, I wouldn't. Let him run and even race it until he gets totally proficient with what he has, and move on. The Torment is a great starter RC, but to change pretty much every major component for something that is still just a great starter truck will leave you with a heavily modded starter truck. I've learned this lesson myself in the past, albeit with a different ride. I'd hold out and wait until he is ready to move on to a higher quality kit all together, but that's just me.

ORIGINAL: mattycole

Great my son is wanting brushless on his torment what addvice would u give me on combo,servo,shocks,gear set up.i mean the whole enchilada price in the medium range. All suggestions greatly considered
Old 01-15-2013, 09:45 PM
mattycole

He is proficient already .i have several good r/cs myself with lots of parts and new upgrades in the box i have been trying to trade for him a better quality truck but no one wants to help a brother out anymore.u know get him ssomething used but good quality with room for upgrade.   Any suggestions
Old 01-15-2013, 10:26 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Well, if he likes 2wd Corr trucks, you can't beat the Associated SC10 for your money!

He is proficient already .i have several good r/cs myself with lots of parts and new upgrades in the box i have been trying to trade for him a better quality truck but no one wants to help a brother out anymore.u know get him ssomething used but good quality with room for upgrade. Any suggestions
Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 AM
kaycerc

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

Personally, I've only seen one Novak go up in smoke, and that's because the tool plugged his bullet battery connectors in backwards.

As for sensored vs sensorless: Sensorless, I found, is best in applications that require little finesse and caution, as it is more like having a light switch, or a 3-speed control.

Sensored allows for smoother power delivery and is, IMO, better suited to smaller, more finicky classes, like the 1/10 2wd buggies

Exactly - electronics manufacturers get bad reputations just because few inexperienced don't know what they're doing, when in reality Novak has one of the best warranty/exchange programs in the industry. Meanwhile companies like castle build a rep by selling cheaply, yet even their prices have grown to the point they're about as much as the better brands, and people overlook the fact that if something does go wrong they've got one of the worst warranty programs in part because their in-house inventory is so small.

End of the day, I've seen literally every brand go up in smoke at one time or another - but in the overwhelming majority of cases the problem resulted because of user error.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:44 AM
kaycerc

[quote]ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

In all honesty, I wouldn't. Let him run and even race it until he gets totally proficient with what he has, and move on. The Torment is a great starter RC, but to change pretty much every major component for something that is still just a great starter truck will leave you with a heavily modded starter truck. I've learned this lesson myself in the past, albeit with a different ride. I'd hold out and wait until he is ready to move on to a higher quality kit all together, but that's just me.

He is proficient already .i have several good r/cs myself with lots of parts and new upgrades in the box i have been trying to trade for him a better quality truck but no one wants to help a brother out anymore.u know get him ssomething used but good quality with room for upgrade. Any suggestions
I'm a bit puzzled, being as if you already "several good r/cs myself with lots of parts and new upgrades" yourself I don't understand why you don't hook your son up yourself. Otherwise, because of your own level of experience your question is a bit newbie-ish for you to be asking. It seems you should have a better understanding of what's out there, and what'd be appropriate for him.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:46 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From Castle about the only thing Irecommend for the B4.1 is the Sidewinder SCT or the SV2 with the 3800kv motor. It will have more torque than the Reedy system, spins a little faster than the stock system and you gain the abillity to hook up to your PC with Castle Link. But, motors much faster than that don't do much good in these little cars because they're so light on their feet. If you are a precision driver and have good throttle modulation then you might enjoy a 4000+kv motor. Even then you're at the point of over-powering the car.

I run a 2950kv (approx 13.5 turn) 2-pole motor in my B4 and it's probably at the fastest end of the spectrum for racing. My car is noticeably faster than any other 2WD on the track. The problem is that Ihave difficulty reigning in the power. A system like this Novak here is good because even though it's a slower turning motor, it produces the right amount of power, it's sensored so it's smooth and you can have room to gear taller to increase your speed.

If you're not racing then go for broke and drop a 5000KV motor in it, find a smooth stretch of road, hit 88mph and see what happens.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58556.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	1841302  
Old 01-16-2013, 09:56 PM
FahrtAutoRC

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

If you're not racing then go for broke and drop a 5000KV motor in it, find a smooth stretch of road, hit 88mph and see what happens.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:32 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

He could always move the new motor/esc to a new race kit when he is done with the torment