Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Dremel vs 26cc CY

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 07:40 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dremel vs 26cc CY

Hey guys, I'm really keen to learn about modifying these little engines, so I thought why not learn from doing it?

I've got my motor all striped down, iPad set to google and dremel in hand, wish me luck
Old 01-14-2013, 08:13 AM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dremel vs 26cc CY

Just remember that removing too little material is always better than removing too much.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:34 AM
phmaximus

Well I've been having fun, so far I've polished both halfs of the crankcase, turbo modded the crank, blended the case into the ports for turbo mod, Champhered bottom of the piston to force more air into the transfer passages, removed excess metal from the piston, And blended transfer passages to crank case...

About 1/2 way through doing that my brand new Dremel stopped working, so I had to pop down and get it replaced under warranty.
I'm hoping it was a freak thing. Because they only replace it if it's under 30 days old other wise it has to be sent of to be repaired.

I'll get some pics up after
Old 01-15-2013, 04:49 AM
phmaximus

pics as promised, problary should of cleaned everything before the pic, its cvered in dust from a polishing pad oh well, ive been using tape over the bearing to keep them nice and clean

Old 01-16-2013, 10:10 AM
savagecommander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a good pipe will show better gains than a trick port job any day. Focus on that first. I went through about fifteen heads before i stopped the impulse to grind and mod them.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:20 PM
mooman007uk

i'd leave the crankcases, ports, transfers unpolished for better fuel atomization...polishing off the rough surface decreases performance...
Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

a good pipe will show better gains than a trick port job any day. Focus on that first. I went through about fifteen heads before i stopped the impulse to grind and mod them.
ive been reading that about pipes, im planing to get one mid this year, just cant squeez it at the moment. at the moment im saving for a new turtle racing cluch bell and open clutch bell carrier.

im very interested in ur experance with those heads? preformance gains vs effort
Old 01-17-2013, 06:29 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: mooman007uk

i'd leave the crankcases, ports, transfers unpolished for better fuel atomization...polishing off the rough surface decreases performance...
ive allways wondered that, but for some strang reson I posished the crankcase, seemed like a good idea at the time

im keen for any tips u guys have. some day I wanna look into a 30.5cc for some more lowend power

the main things ive focused with the motor is the turbo crank mod, turbo case mod, blending the case into the head and posishing the exhaust port...
does that sound about right?
Old 01-18-2013, 05:38 AM
savagecommander

any modification that increases the volume of the case or transfer port runners will hurt low end- so when you blend the case its important to remove as little as possible. you are really just trying to knock down any sudden changes or sharp casting flaws. as far as the discussion of performance gains vs effort, You'd be surprised at how little needs to be done to see power gains. IME the full mod motors only have those high eye popping numbers for a few thousand rpm, so all the extra cash to me isnt worth it. I have one and i know i wont ever buy a motor like that again.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Ttowntoolman

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

ORIGINAL: mooman007uk

ive allways wondered that, but for some strang reson I posished the crankcase, seemed like a good idea at the time

im keen for any tips u guys have. some day I wanna look into a 30.5cc for some more lowend power

the main things ive focused with the motor is the turbo crank mod, turbo case mod, blending the case into the head and posishing the exhaust port...
does that sound about right?
If you know someone with a sandblaster or a bead blaster, it works pretty good to put the texture back into the case after you removed what you wanted to. Thats what I used to do with my Quad engines. Best to take bearings out though.......I used to chuck my engines in the wifes oven to get the cases to split, and to remove bearings. She was never real amused with me.....
Old 01-23-2013, 07:38 AM
phmaximus

lol cheerz guys for the tips, keep em comming lol
Old 02-18-2014, 01:35 AM
phmaximus

Woo hoo, I finally got to test the motor.... Only 12 months late lol... Of well the weather has been to hot and one of the servos gave out and I had to many projects....well I still have to many but this one got lucky lol

but anyway, it runs like a dream.... Heaps more power down low... I'm yet to take it to a park but just messing around in the back yard it defiantly spins the wheels easier.... It now does some awesome doughnuts... He he the neighbours must love me...
Old 02-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

This page usually gets a mention when there's talk of tuned pipes.

http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/javapipe_en.htm
Old 03-25-2014, 04:45 AM
mobydickk

i'd leave the crankcases, ports, transfers unpolished for better fuel atomization...polishing off the rough surface decreases performance
Regards to your post, how does it affect performance?
mobydickk
Old 03-29-2014, 08:01 AM
phmaximus

Positively,
I can't prove it, but I'm my mind I'm 100% sure it's got more wheel spinning ability.