Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Old 10-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Scottypiper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

I'm thinking about getting the firestorm flux - newest version. I know this is somewhat awkward...but is this newer version better than the newest version of the Rustler VXL? I just want something that is durable and yet powerful enough for jumps (not crazy high ones) and gravel/dirt fun.

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:57 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Scottypiper

I'm thinking about getting the firestorm flux - newest version. I know this is somewhat awkward...but is this newer version better than the newest version of the Rustler VXL? I just want something that is durable and yet powerful enough for jumps (not crazy high ones) and gravel/dirt fun.

Thanks!
I would go with the storm over a rusty any day the storm's running castle based esc and motors. i've had no durability issues with it other than a broken shock, but that was a direct hit to the shock body and kinda fluke.

the lug
Old 11-01-2012, 06:14 AM
nitro-rob

I am willing to bet that the overwhelming answer in here is to buy the storm.  Its a solid truck and I agree that the castle electronics and 4-pole motor of the new setup is the way to go.  The velineon system in the rustler is supposed to be as solid as a rock, though.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:41 PM
DarksideVR

ORIGINAL: SillyWillie-Buh!

What would be a good set of upgrade shocks besides the HPI aluminum threaded shocks? Powerstroke shocks perhaps?(Kind of a shot in the dark question there)
power strokes work awesome on the firestorm. I have a set on my storm and love them.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:18 PM
ferraridrew

eh rob its ferrari how do you post on main page so every one can read this monster of a truck that i got from you and pat and even the one i baught brand new and destoyed all three in less then a month lmao
Old 12-16-2012, 12:04 PM
NoPancakemix

Its been a really long time ladies but the Kid with No Pancake Mix is back and i cant wait to get my lady back out there shes is need of massive R-n-R and tunes ups... Big Quesh.. does anyone have a Roller they are willing to let go actually not even a roller just the chassis my front end is trashed and i dont wanna spent more on parts well not till i graduate anyway ^__^ I i wanna transfer all the Electronics to a working chassis till i can rebuild mine properly
Old 12-25-2012, 11:29 PM
krillin

Hey guys.  I just received an e-firestorm flux (newer version) for Christmas.  Not having the best luck with it.  I was testing it out today in the driveway and noticed that it was pretty damn slow compared to the original e-firestorm flux that I had ran in the past.  I am using 2s 4000mah lipo 25C, so was expecting enough power to do mild wheelies.

However, In the end I discovered that reverse is actually stronger than forward.  I checked the motor wires to the ESC and A, B, C wires are hooked up correctly; if I switched A and C's then it would fix the power problem but I know this isn't the way it's supposed to be hooked up.  I am not quite sure what to check next as I am still new to this hobby.  I am a bit annoyed that I am having to fix this out of the box when it should have been done from the get go.  I also noticed that the default transmitter settings make the truck run incorrectly (forward and reverse are mixed as well as steering) Is this a common issue?  I would really like to find out what's wrong but I've gotten to the point where I am almost over this truck and want to return it now.

I apologize for the whining...  I spent the day trying to figure this out but got tired so I went with my family to watch a movie but then dropped my car keys in the theater...then found out that the cleaning crew threw it out in the trash compactor with a bunch of other trash so I had to call a cab and blah blah blah. 

Anyways....  any help with my firestorm issue would be appreciated.  Thanks guys! 

Old 12-26-2012, 07:24 AM
nitro-rob

Welcome to the forum and the firestorm. Your truck is fine, nothing to get upset about. The two wires needed to be reversed.  The reverse mode has a fraction of the power of forward mode.  With sensorless motors the three stages are arbitrarily set up in the ESC and hence sometimes wiring needing to be switched. I have two castle ESCs that are that way and the rest are not.

Merry days to all in the forum.  I've  got a durango DEST 210 now as a track truck and the storm stays a street vehicle.  The durangos are nice and worth checking out.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:08 PM
krillin

thanks for the reply bob. yeah, just a bit frustrating. so you are saying that i need to switch the A and C wires even though that's the way they are labeled; there is no other way around this?

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

Welcome to the forum and the firestorm. Your truck is fine, nothing to get upset about. The two wires needed to be reversed. The reverse mode has a fraction of the power of forward mode. With sensorless motors the three stages are arbitrarily set up in the ESC and hence sometimes wiring needing to be switched. I have two castle ESCs that are that way and the rest are not.
Merry days to all in the forum. I've got a durango DEST 210 now as a track truck and the storm stays a street vehicle. The durangos are nice and worth checking out.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:09 PM
rclugnut10

ORIGINAL: krillin

thanks for the reply bob. yeah, just a bit frustrating. so you are saying that i need to switch the A and C wires even though that's the way they are labeled; there is no other way around this?

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

Welcome to the forum and the firestorm. Your truck is fine, nothing to get upset about. The two wires needed to be reversed. The reverse mode has a fraction of the power of forward mode. With sensorless motors the three stages are arbitrarily set up in the ESC and hence sometimes wiring needing to be switched. I have two castle ESCs that are that way and the rest are not.
Merry days to all in the forum. I've got a durango DEST 210 now as a track truck and the storm stays a street vehicle. The durangos are nice and worth checking out.
Yeah you'll have to it's really no big deal... you could try going through the manual, and seeing about reversing it in the ESC... but i'd just switch the wires and re program. You may also be able to flip the reversing switch on your TX...

the lug
Old 12-26-2012, 06:29 PM
nitro-rob

The ABC polarity only matters for sensored systems.  If you have full power in the forward direction and all is fine now, go with it.

My friend called me today and asked what I wanted for my storm as-is right now.  He said someone is interested and he may get back to me. 
Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 PM
>moto<

Hi guys, I'm just waiting delivery of an EFS Flux and I'm looking at buying some extra bits for it to do some street speed runs.  I used to RC about 18 years so all the new technology is hard to keep up with. From my research I plan on getting the following parts to swap out for the speed runs:

Scorch wheels with Anaconda or Proline street tyres
Gens Ace 11.1v 3s LiPo 40c hard case (already ordered)
Tenshock SC401 3800Kv motor combo with Hobbywing SC8 ESC See Here
31t pinion, 77t spur sticking with 48p
Some weights for the front 

I'll obviously do the shock oil, stick on the AE Green/Blue springs and pack the relevant parts with grease.

My question is - will this set-up work and fit the car okay?  I think it will but some friendly re-assurance or alternate suggestions would be great.

Thanks for any help in advance. 

Old 01-09-2013, 12:35 PM
rclugnut10

ORIGINAL: >moto<

Hi guys, I'm just waiting delivery of an EFS Flux and I'm looking at buying some extra bits for it to do some street speed runs. I used to RC about 18 years so all the new technology is hard to keep up with. From my research I plan on getting the following parts to swap out for the speed runs:

Scorch wheels with Anaconda or Proline street tyres
Gens Ace 11.1v 3s LiPo 40c hard case (already ordered)
Tenshock SC401 3800Kv motor combo with Hobbywing SC8 ESC See Here
31t pinion, 77t spur sticking with 48p
Some weights for the front

I'll obviously do the shock oil, stick on the AE Green/Blue springs and pack the relevant parts with grease.

My question is - will this set-up work and fit the car okay? I think it will but some friendly re-assurance or alternate suggestions would be great.

Thanks for any help in advance.

I would stick with Proline rubber, and the 30 series units if you want though you'll need the 30 specific rims, and i forget which has the corrects offsets for the storm, and you'd need different hexes....

the motor is a little low KV wise for speed runs, though with such tall gearing you may be able to get away with it, i would think about a few different sizes of pinions/spurs just to give yourself a bit of room to play with the ratio...

And make sure to pick up some deans plugs for the gens ace pack too

the lug
Old 01-09-2013, 01:55 PM
>moto<

Hi RC,

Thanks for the response. Looking at it more I've decided to ditch the Scorch wheels as the overall diameter is a bit small with street tires so I now looking at getting some 2.8's. I'll take your advice and get some Prolines for them, thinking about Road Rage II's. When you say "30 series units" what do you mean....wheel type? Forgive my ignorance, I'm very new to all this

I did look at at a higher Kv motor but was concerened about heat in the battery packs and ESC...though I'd only be doing a couple of runs to amuse myself with the speed of such a little car! I'm not even sure it will pull that gearing to be honest, but you gotta start somewere and pinions are cheap.

Deans plugs have been ordered for the battery pack thanks.

I have also had an idea regarding aerodynamics to help prevent lift. I'll weight the front but I was also thinking of cutting the stock springs to lower the ride height as low as I'll get away with. I could also make a front 'splitter' to mount where the front bumper would normally sit and also increase the size of the rear wing, both should give me more downforce and stability.

Just ran the speed calcs with 25/87 gearing and it's still good for a theoretical 80mph if I use a 4600Kv motor and the big tyres. Might try that first, save me having to mess with different spur gears from the start.

Cheers again for your input

EDIT: 30 series is the rubber type...lol!

Old 01-09-2013, 02:20 PM
rclugnut10

30 series referes to the 2.8 in tires it's just proline being special, 40 series is axial's "oversized" stuff... and a spliiter would not be a bad idea, you could also adjust teh body body posts to get a bit of help tehre and prevent air from getting under the shell... just thoughts

the lug
Old 01-09-2013, 06:22 PM
>moto<

Would anyone be kind enough to tell me if the followiung battery will fit in the FS:

Zippy 4500 45C

I've already bought a Gens Ace but these Zippy packs seem popular here and are very cheap! 

Thanks again for your help lug.  Noticed a hundred or pages back you're a mech engineer....me too!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:02 PM
rclugnut10

I can't say honestly say about that pack :/ and i don't have my storm with me at school...

moto, are you still in school?

the lug
Old 01-09-2013, 09:24 PM
>moto<

No mate, I'm 33 and finished school/Uni a long time ago!

I've been trying to Google battery specs for the EFS but haven't gotten definitive details yet. Might just have to wait until the thing turns up and measure it then.

Cheers for your help Lug
Old 01-16-2013, 05:33 PM
manamp27

Hi

Hoping for some help. Just got the 2.8 desperados (PRO272903). What is the best hex hub to use for this wheel on my efirestorm?

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:54 PM
rclugnut10

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTZS9&P=7

those should do you just fine, traxxas has some plastic versions for $2 or 3, just make sure you get the thinner ones

the lug
Old 01-18-2013, 05:27 AM
ElectricGuy007

My E-firestorm bomber car
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68397.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1841753  
Old 01-18-2013, 06:20 AM
manamp27

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

those should do you just fine, traxxas has some plastic versions for $2 or 3, just make sure you get the thinner ones

the lug

Thanks mate. I ended up getting these and they fit fine. http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/103362/

Cheers.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:27 AM
rclugnut10

ORIGINAL: manamp27

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

the lug

Thanks mate. I ended up getting these and they fit fine. http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/103362/

Cheers.

oh sweet i didn't even know they made units like that i'll have to pick some up, non smooth faces on the stockers are annoying

the lug
Old 01-21-2013, 01:17 AM
fgdsfg

Nice rides. keep going on showing the pics
Old 01-24-2013, 06:07 AM
Thelittlesthobo

Hi Guys,

E Firestorm user from the UK here. A lot of what posed on here (And it is a hell of a lot) seems to be based around the US market so i dont really have much to add or get involved in.

I am a total newcomer to RC and fancied a car to see if i could get my two young kids interested. The LHS (Which is pretty small and basic) suggested the Firestorm as they come with a 2yr warranty which seemed useful. Anyhow, my Brushed E firestorm is now running a 5000mah 20c 2s Lipo and a 60a EZrun brushless motor. Considering i have nowehere to race this officially then there isnt much need for anything faster. I couldnt handle it anyhow. I have access to a proper national standard tarmac race track on a daily basis before work and in the summer i can see me and the kids there of an evening. We also have a pretty beat up BMX track for bashing which gives me acess to some pretty big air time.

Considering i am a total newcome i am suprised at how addictive it is. I am already looking into changing the wheels for the summer to get something a bit grippier for the tarmac race track. I am also looking at seeing what kinda speed i can get out of the Ezrun system. I took it out the first day and on factory settings it was way to fast for me. It was on punch control 7 and it was just a wheely car. I have it on setting 1 for punch and its much happier. I presume this doesnt effect top speed just off the line punch. I have also reduced the brake settings as i didnt seem to need so much. Not sure of the setting but its pretty low.

Have you guys got any beginners type hints to get the most out of the car.

Next plan is 2 more batteries. Then me and the kids can have one each. Thinking of similar Mah but going for a bigger C rating than 20. Possibly 30 or 40..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.