Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Electrics to Glow Conversions
Reload this Page >

Gas engine size To electric Conversion Chart

Community
Search
Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

Gas engine size To electric Conversion Chart

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 08:59 AM
stash4466

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas engine size To electric Conversion Chart

I am looking for a gas engine to electric chart. Any help would be great! Thanks. stash4466
Old 12-20-2012, 11:09 AM
rcfighterjock

Default RE: Gas engine size To electric Conversion Chart

As someone that has converted a number of planes from glow to electric (even giant scale) successfully, I won't claim expertise, but let me give you a beginners tip. Don't think of it as "Gas engine A = Electric engine B". Start with your aircraft all-up flying weight. Let's say 15 pounds for example. I fly WWII warbirds from various manufacturers. To fly a warbird at reasonably scale speed and have good performance, choose an electric motor that will give you 100 watts of output per pound of airplane. In other words, 1500 watts for a 15 pound aircraft. This is a good, solid place to start. If you want higher performance, say 3D stuff, 150-200 watts per pound is more your place to be. It also never hurts to go just slightly higher in the rated output simply because you don't want to be flying full throttle all the time. That causes heat/stress. Bottom line, look for a motor that is rated to give you the watts per pound you want for the performance level you are seeking. Along with the rated watts of the motor, the manufacturer should give you a cell-count for the battery you will need to use to get that performance and even a suggested amperage for the speed control. Hope this helps! Dave
Old 01-18-2013, 12:23 PM
bgchip
My Feedback: (1)

I am new to electrics but have flown RC since the 70's and 80s'  Getting back into it with my grandson.  Both AMA members. (my AMA 81682).   I scratch built a Clancy Lazy Bee.  It has 50 in wingspan.  About 700 sq. in. wing.  Weighs about 3 to 4 lbs with Rx and servos etc.  Tried it with an .OS15 but too much power.   Also have a Falcom 56 built from scratch.  I want to fly it with electric.  Thank you.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:03 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This forum is for ELECTRIC Planes being converted to GLOW. not the other way around. You might get more advice over in the electric forums.