Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

VQ or Blackhorse P40?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

VQ or Blackhorse P40?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Merlin Man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VQ or Blackhorse P40?

Hi,

Looking for a fairly cheap knock around Warbird while I am finishing my main project.

I've had a quick atthe two P40.s from VQ and Blackhorse. From what I can gather they seem very similar. The BH one is supplied with retracts but not the VQ. ( I am aware that these retracts are cheap 2nd rate stuff anyway ! )

I also took a liking to the new Hanger 9 P40 but these are out of supply at the momentin Australia.

Does anyone have any feedback on ,in particular, the VQ model ? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Merlin Man.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:40 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: VQ or Blackhorse P40?

Merlin Man, I've had both. The BH is a little larger and has a lighter wing loading I think. The VQ landing gear is too far out and I moved the location in one rib bay. It flys ok but like most P-40s if you stall it, it will snap roll. The big problem with the BH is the wing has too much incident. Flys nose down at high speed and at low speed you are flying at a greater angle of attack than you realize. That is how I lost my BH. Got it too slow on landing. Gave it too much power too late, started torque rolling to the left, ailerons were not effective that slow, gave it right rudder, it snaped rolled right and cart wheeled down the runway, leaving a trail of parts. The stock retracts are garbage on both of them. I've got a custom set of Century Jet retracts for the BH. I have gassers in both. The VQ is a little small for a gasser but I managed to instal a DLE 20. If I was going to get another 60 size P-40 I would try the Top Flite. I converted my BH to a P-36. Had 200 flights on it before I screwed up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97518.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	1841563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16801.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1841564  
Old 01-17-2013, 04:27 PM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

The topflite p40 is by far the best out of the bunch(I've had them all) the BH is a very easy plane to fly as it is built very light. The retracts that come with it are junk. I had to custom fit some hangar9 rotators in the wing and that did the trick. I ended up trading it for the topflite giant scale p40. Still loved it though, the TF .60 is the winner in my book, more bang for the buck and well built.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:27 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

I had two VQs , agree with everything Bean was saying , I would get the Top Flight .
I have my second VQ with little flight time , CJ retracts ect , if you were not so far I would try to cut you a deal , I only fly eletric now
Old 01-17-2013, 08:16 PM
kahloq

I have a VQ P-40 also. Saito 100. CJM retracts. Flies decent enough,
Old 01-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Merlin Man

Hi,
Thanks for the advice. Hmmm........... May be better of looking for another model. The topflite version is clearly the best but I can't find one available in Australia at the moment.

Cheers,
Merlin Man.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:15 PM
kahloq

The VQ p-40 is I nice looking plane. I would have no issue recommending it.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Merlin,
I have the VQ avg P40, the stock retracts are crap, rotating gear are prone to more problems, but I used some from sds, they needed a bit of tweaking from memory but they operate really well and have miles less slop and are reliable, I have two sets spare if you need one.
When I first got it I stacked it and snapped the front right off, but fixed it with ply and glass.
I put onboard glow and oleos so she is a little heavy now but still flys really well, but she hasn't flown for a couple of years, I should get her out again.

I also have the vq macchi 205, that is nice, but the vq 109 is a delight to fly, very similar to a low wing trainer, not really like a warbird, however it looks ok.
Without rotating gear you can use any available mechanicals on those two.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:57 PM
P-39 fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Merlin, I have the VQ P-40 and P-39, both electric powered. I agree that it is good advice to add additional glue / epoxy to the firewall. The P-40 is an excellent flyer. The flaps are very effective. The plane seems to land the best with about 20 degrees of flaps with a wheel landing. The mechanical retracts are a pain in the butt, but servo-less rotating retracts are an option. You haven't mention what the budget can handle. You can find the VQ P-40 on sale for about $140. I do feel that it is a good value for the money with excellent scale detail. Good luck on your quest to find your P-40!
Old 01-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Merlin Man

Hi,
Thanks again guys for your advice.Sounds like the VQ has quite a bit of support.

I think I have located a Hanger 9 Warhawk 50 but I need to confirm this in the morning.

Does any one have any feedback on this fairly new model.? I have checked the website and iit seems ok.

Cheers,
Merlin Man
Old 01-21-2013, 06:02 PM
kahloq

The 50 size H9 P-40 is a nice model. Definitely a little different looking then what most of us are used to regarding what a P-40 nose should look like. I had to resaerch it to see if it was accurate and it is quite scale in appearanceThey fly well, but I dont remember if the kit has flaps or not.