Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Probably save him a bit of time too.Many bushfires up your way?:
Old 01-17-2013, 06:13 AM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: tbone4343

need rocker arm pin or screw for a saito 50 the 56 part will work also horizon does not have it and at a loss
any one out there have one as i sure could use it
thanks
Here, I think this is what you're looking for.

http://www.gravesrc.com/mobile/default.aspx#P37340

Joe
Old 01-17-2013, 08:01 AM
barry wetherell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tbone, if you get stuck, use the end of a drill bit, the rocker cover will hold it in place
Barry
Old 01-17-2013, 11:11 AM
SRQFlyer
My Feedback: (17)

Tbone,
I have just what you need - sent you a PM earlier today.
Jim
Old 01-17-2013, 01:36 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart, no bush fires up here, if the greenies get in the way of the winter cool burns we burn them as well.
I lived trough the Ash Wednesday fires (Mt Macedon in Victoria) and I used to hunt in the high country where the current fires are in Vic (Mt Baw Baw) and since our "savers of everything" have been let loose and stopped sensible management of the forestry et al we continue to see scenes like te Camberra fires etc.  The lessons of the past were learnt and then discarded.  And the idiots in the fire services still will not use the water bombers they useelsewhere in the world.  I have watched a fire being fought in similar teritory to the Vic Alpine area with only air assetts they put it out and 2 years later almost all traces of the fire were obliterated
As a wise person once said "when you seek to save everything you end up loosing the lot"
As for me give me a cyclone any day over the fies down south
Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 PM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Mein Duff

What is an SPA competition ????
http://www.seniorpattern.com/

"Senior" refers to the planes and not necessarily the pilots.
Take a look at the web site and learn all about it. It involves flying planes that were built/designed and flown in aerobatics competition prior to 1 Jan. 1976 using the AMA rules that applied at that time. It's a more affordable (and Ithink fun)venue than FAI hard core, multi $k equipment. Engines are limited in size to .65 two stroke (or below) or .95 four stroke. No pipes, superchargers, turbochargers, major airframe mods, etc. allowed. Anyway, there are a few rules to keep the planes within plan-form of the originals.
Take a look. I'll bet you'll like it.

Saitos are a popular engine in this venue.

RJ
SPA 516

Old 01-17-2013, 07:58 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RJ,

That *may* be for your SPA area. It's good to know. We hosted the SPA for 2 years here in Alabama and it was 99% OS 91's. Everyone seemed to have dim views of Saitos.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:03 PM
FNQFLYER

What's this SPA an aerobatic version of SAM?? ( Society of Antique Aeromodellers)
Old 01-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Fred L
My Feedback: (2)

check the pressure line at the muffler or the tank , it may have come off or is obstructed
Old 01-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Quikturn

Here are some SPA examples.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53144.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	1841813  
Old 01-18-2013, 05:51 PM
JWQ500RC
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks all for the suggestions. I think I've found the problem The neddle valve wasn't seating. I had a new one and it so far seams to work fine.
I'll know more tomorrow.

Jim
Old 01-18-2013, 07:03 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Fnqflyer- sorry about that. Yes, it's pattern flying by the old rules before the more modern engines. Keeping competition simple and inexpensive are goals of the rules on types/sizes of engines allowed.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:36 PM
FNQFLYER

Interesting prospect, this SPA thing.  My old mentor has a number of early aerobatic kits that he is just getting around to building.  One problem with it though is that the supply of old engines are running out.
We in SAM solved that by allowing modern engines with handicaps.  The advent of modern radio is a great boom to Old Timer type flying but you have to be aware of the "old codgers" that really want to use up those old Kraft sets.  Though we have solved that problem as well by taking a page out of the US hand book of competitions.  We have transmitter throws.  The older the set the bigger the handicap (your favour) and the prise, a brand new modern set.  You can see the obvious in this I trust
Old 01-19-2013, 02:03 AM
Rudolph Hart

Hi mate no i don't you mean the better you get with the old transmitter and radio gear the more modern stuff they give you?? sounds more like a punishment for doing well and knowing your stuff

As for the lack of old engines just follow the funeral trail..you know those mean old buggers take them to the grave.When i'm flat on my back with the lid securely glued down they can shove me in the furnace engines and all.All that aluminium and other organic particles will be mixed with seagull poop and scattered over my favourite flying field by rc aeroplane,what a bang!
Old 01-19-2013, 05:49 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart, we in the SAM chapters have people who read the death notices and when one of our brethern bites the dust a delegation from the local chapter visits the widow and offers to clean up his shed / building room and remove all the "rubbish and yucky modelling stuff, some have even offered (in te spirit of good friendship of course) to assist in turning that area into a craft room for the greiving widow.
Off course the old open rocker Saitos, McCoys etc are all removed as part of said rubbish.  And as for "allowing" you to have your engines in your coffin, I just call in my green mates to remove them after all we can't have you poluting the place can we???
Seriously though most of the old engines that ae suitable for competition are pretty well known off including the stuff the guys are getting from the USA.
David Owen is making a "small fortune" making replica Burford engnes as I gather are our chinese modellers.
I am putting together a chinese rip off of a Kyusho Calminto all I can say is it is very economically built model.  I have put a small tube set of Araldite into it as well as 1/2 a bottle of Zap.  We progress it will be powered by a Saito 56 or a Supre Toger 40 with tiger paw muffler (italian built of course).  It is raining humidity 90% so the aircond and fans are working overtime both in the house and the shed.  Even the bush rats and water pythons have moved into the shed in anticipation of my building (both engine and model) activities.
Catch Ya
Old 01-19-2013, 08:05 PM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

Finally finished the model Ihave my FA-91GK mounted on. Here's a picture of the installation. It's sitting on the balance machine in case you're wondering.

Name:	Hf97931.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1842376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56474.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1842377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94769.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1842378  
Old 01-20-2013, 07:38 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: Quikturn

What engines are allowed in the SPA?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:37 AM
AeroFinn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Sharpeye22

Thanks FNQFlyer,
Everything you suggested was fine but one thing. I had to use a flashlight and look in through the prop exit hole with the prop and spanner removed to find it but. The throttle arm was being depressed by the top of the cowl. So at anything above about half throttle the grove in the throttle barrel was holding the throttle open but when the throttle setting was dependent on the little spring in the carb that pushes out on the throttle barrel the cowl was pushing it in and shutting down the engine. I made a new throttle arm that has the arm on the side of the barrel nearer tha carb instead of at the end of the barrel. It now rotates and moves in and out without touching the top of the cowl.

Thanks for the help all.

Sharpeye22, I'm happy to hear your problem has been solved!

However, I'm having trouble with hunting idle speed of my FA-125a. Upon a closer look at the carburettor I noticed the barrel moves in and out inside the carb body without rotating. This enables the fuel mixture vary as the endplay is about 0,5mm (maybe a bit more) resulting the engine idle speed hunt.
I checked a brand new carb at a LHS and it was all the same. (I think Bill Robinson has this subject covered in his "Complete Saito Notes" but he does not address any solution as to how to fix the endplay of the carb barrel)

Anyways, my intention is to modify the carb to operate in the same way as the Saito 1507180/220 carbs:

Saito 150/1807220 carbs all have a spring to push the barrel toward the lever end and thus maintain the fuel mixture even.

How could I installa a spring to the FA-125 carb, too? Where to get a suitable spring that fits inside the carb?

Or is there any other fix that has proven to work to help maintain the fuel mÃ*xture consistent by avoiding the barrel move in and out without rotating the barrel?

Thanks, Artto
Old 01-20-2013, 12:20 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: AeroFinn

I'm having trouble with hunting idle speed of my FA-125a. Upon a closer look at the carburettor I noticed the barrel moves in and out inside the carb body without rotating. This enables the fuel mixture vary as the endplay is about 0,5mm (maybe a bit more) resulting the engine idle speed hunt.
I checked a brand new carb at a LHS and it was all the same. (I think Bill Robinson has this subject covered in his ''Complete Saito Notes'' but he does not address any solution as to how to fix the endplay of the carb barrel)

Anyways, my intention is to modify the carb to operate in the same way as the Saito 1507180/220 carbs:

Saito 150/1807220 carbs all have a spring to push the barrel toward the lever end and thus maintain the fuel mixture even.

How could I installa a spring to the FA-125 carb, too? Where to get a suitable spring that fits inside the carb?

Or is there any other fix that has proven to work to help maintain the fuel mÃ*xture consistent by avoiding the barrel move in and out without rotating the barrel?

Thanks, Artto

Not only do the 120/150/180/220 engines have the spring in the carburetor, it seems that the 56/62/72/82/91/100/115 have them also.

Part # SAI91S90 is used in the 82-115 engines while the smaller engines use a similar part. Scroll down on the page linked below, it's the 7th part illustration down.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-al-SAIE115#t4

Seems to me that some slight relief cut into the end of the FA125 carbuetor barrel for clearance would allow room for this.

Why in the world did Saito eliminate this on just the 125?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Quikturn

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: Quikturn

What engines are allowed in the SPA?

For regular pattern, any model designed and flown before 1976 can use any 2-stroke up to .61, can use a pump but not an over sized carb like the OS 61SF-P's had. A .91 4-stroke that is not super charged or with an air chamber (like YS) can be used and there are allowances for electric as well.

Here's a link to the SPA competitors guide: http://www.seniorpattern.com/pdf/SPA...02011-2012.pdf

Rowdyjoe's A-6 Intruder is a SPA legal example which by the way looks great!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:22 PM
hsukaria

I just received a used Saito FA-82 that has a bent needle valve and jet tube. The rest of the carb is ok, from just looking at it. Can I just replace the the needle and tube?

I plan to replace a Thunder Tiger 75FS with the Saito FA-82. How much power increase can I expect? Thanks.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:31 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, , , , But if the tube is the design with the vee notch in the discharge end, the notch must be as accurately towards the engine as you can get it.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:39 AM
Rudolph Hart

Read your post and was wondering if the engine has had a big nose first dive into the ground recently,with the prop off and spinning it does the crank look like it has any runout?

The thunder tigre 75 is a good reliable engine,as you know,the eighty two is lighter and much more powerful if you are flying it in something like a decathlon.It's a buzz
Old 01-21-2013, 05:34 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

As Jim said, this slot needs to be straight up when looking down through the carb from the engine side. Woops, wrong picture. #2 is right.

Name:	Bz78257.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1842826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62794.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1842827  
Old 01-21-2013, 06:20 AM
hsukaria

Thanks guys. I looked at the Horizon Hobby website. It shows the new case 82 (FA-82b). Is that spraybar the same as mine?

I plan on using this engine on a Great Planes U-Can-Do 46. So, I need a 3D prop. The maximum recommended prop pitch for that plane is a x6. So, would a 14x4W or a 14x6 work with the FA-82?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.