Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Help with picking an SCT

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Nitro Pop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with picking an SCT

title says it all i guess, but ill go more in depth, this truck will be for racing AND bashing, but about 65-75% bashing, i'm also gonna be training my little brother on it (7 years old)

DISCLAIMER: NO TRAXXAS!! NO TRAXXAS!!

BUDGET: $375-$525

ELECTRIC/NITRO: electric (brushless)

2WD/4WD: i'm going with 2WD because i read somewhere on THESE forums "4WD is rewarding to drive, but 2WD teaches you how to drive" BUUT i would also like to know which is OVERALL more popular in
racing for south-east USA (florida, georgia, the carolinas, etc.)

KIT/ROLLER/RTR:perferablykit or roller due to i want to use my own electronics (kit would probably be best[only by a little though])

ESC:need reccomendations 7.5/10 performance and durability minimum (waterproof if possible)

MOTOR: need reccomendations 7.5/10 performance and durability minimum (waterproof if possible)

SERVO:need reccomendations 7.5/10 performance and durability minimum (waterproof if possible)

DURABILITY: 7.75/10 minimum

RACEABLITY: zero to moderately-mild modification/additions/extra money to make it race/comp ready

PARTS SUPPORT: 7.5/10 minimum

AFTERMARKET SUPPORT(HOP UPS): (minimums) 6/10(amount of hop ups) 8/10(qualityof hop ups)

RADIO: i already know what radio system i will use

(NOT TO BE FACTORED INTO BUDGET)

CHARGER: the charger i chose is sufficient (BUUT any reccomendations of a balancing charger that doesn't need a seperate power supply and can handle 2(MINIMUM) batteries ofni-mh/ni-whatever and Li-po/Li-whatever up to 6s lipo and whatever is equal to that in ni-mh cells

BATTS: something that won't kill my wallet($55 or below for 2s and $70 or below for 3s), need reccomendations for 2s and 3s 5000Mahor greaterwith at least 15 amps more than the motor-esc combo(Mah 'times' C rating 'divided by' 1000|6200mah 35c would perfectly suit my needs)andis roar legal (if possible, strive for it a little though)

side notes, if i missed anything, ANYTHING, just tell me and i'll add a spec above

Old 01-18-2013, 02:26 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Help with picking an SCT

ecx torment.
durable and fun to drive.
Its $180 RTR...brushed.
But install a $100 brushless system....and get some back when you sell the stock ESC/motor.
The radio is a spektrum DX2E, pretty nice stuff for a RTR. If you already have a radio to use, you can get $50 back just selling the spektrum one.

It handles better than a stock 2wd slash.

Add slash camber turnbuckles so you can adjust the camber, which will help with racing.

That leaves you a good chunk of money for better servo, upgrade tires, upgrade shocks ect.

My torment spent a year as a basher....and now Im making some adjusmtents to make it better on the track. Just adjusting the camber and shocks made a big difference.

The torment will not out-handle a losi XXX, HPI blitz, or SC10. But its a good handling truck that is very durable.
and if you buy it, and sell the esc/motor/radio out of it...that leaves alot of money for the electronics you want to use in it.

also, while it comes with plastic trans gears it will handle brushless. For extremely powerful systems, there is a metal trans gear upgrade. But most brushed systems on 2s will not damage the stock trans gears.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:49 PM
Nitro Pop

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81aqxVSsJ_E[/youtube]

MY SUMMARY:

High CG design, piss poor for racing, and it's the same FAULT that traxxas did with their slash
slow, very slow, useless for "off road" even in very LIGHT offroad conditions which these are built to eat up and laugh at(light offroad like the gravel)
rear axle problem
durable, due to slowness, doing the same tests with even a MILD brushless system would ruin it i'll bet

was the only thing you paid attention to in my post was "i'm gonna train my little brother (7 years old) on it"? because i'm 15, i'm not a newb at RC, i've had my nitro 1/8 buggy for 3 years now, and a 30mph brushless 1/18 truck for a year and a half, which my little brother is decent at driving it (after i limited it to 20mph and not by any means on a racing track)

oh and btw the body shape looks like crap, looks more like one of these AKA NOT a short course truck>

Old 01-18-2013, 03:15 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I disagree on the body shape,
and it does hold up good to brushless. Its as durable as any VXL model. Ive had my brushless before.
It is high CG, but unless the truck is for pure racing that doesnt matter. High CG also equals more center ground clearnace....good for bashing.
with adjuable camber links, my torment doesnt traction roll any more than my friends XXX. On an oval course, my torment is faster as the truck is very good at wide sweeping turns.
There are several "better" trucks. But I wouldnt personally spend over $300 on a truck for a 7 year old. "better" truck doesnt always = more fun.
Your looking at a review of a bone stock truck. I can tell you that even a losi 12t brushed system on 2s lipo makes this truck plenty fast. Go mild brushless and it will have more speed than you need on most any track.

Since the torment is out..... From what I gather (from friends trucks, the hobby shop owners talk ect) is that if you want a race truck of high quality...the sc10 or XXX is the way to go.

My buddy just got a XXX. It was RTR and came with 2 bodies for $215+tax. If you went that route I suppose you could do a Ezrun or simillar brushless system and stay under $300 for the truck itself (after selling the stock ESC/motor/radio)

I read your whole post. About the only thing the torment didnt fit was aftermarket support. some traxxas parts can be used, but only upgrades thus far are from ECX.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Nitro Pop

it's not for just him, not even mostly him, it's honestly for me 70% me AT MINIMUM, and i probably exagerated its use more like 50-50 maybe 60-65% racing, either way i don't like high CG for many reasons, unless it's neccesary for the vehicle to have high cg (monster truck is all i can think of) it shouldn't be there
Old 01-18-2013, 03:42 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Nitro Pop

it's not for just him, not even mostly him, it's honestly for me 70% me AT MINIMUM, and i probably exagerated its use more like 50-50 maybe 60-65% racing, either way i don't like high CG for many reasons, unless it's neccesary for the vehicle to have high cg (monster truck is all i can think of) it shouldn't be there
ah, 70% yours...LOL

then as I said, the xxx or sc10 seem to be the most popluar at my track. starting with the RTR, selling the stock gear you should be able to go brushless for only a bit above $300, maybe even under that. I know there is a RTR brushless version of the sc10, but I would rather buy the RTR brushed and chose a better brushless system myself.

That leaves a fair bit for upgrades, rpm parts, tires or whatever you think would make the most improvement. A servo for sure, as no RTR comes with a good servo. You can drop anywhere from $20-$80 on a servo depending on how good you want.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:05 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

2WD/4WD: i'm going with 2WD because i read somewhere on THESE forums "4WD is rewarding to drive, but 2WD teaches you how to drive" BUUT i would also like to know which is OVERALL more popular in
racing for south-east USA (florida, georgia, the carolinas, etc.)

BATTS: something that won't kill my wallet($55 or below for 2s and $70 or below for 3s), need reccomendations for 2s and 3s 5000Mahor greaterwith at least 15 amps more than the motor-esc combo(Mah 'times' C rating 'divided by' 1000|6200mah 35c would perfectly suit my needs)andis roar legal (if possible, strive for it a little though)

If there's a RC track in your area then pay them a visit and inquire about what type of vehicle is more popular (2wd or 4wd).

Also, adding to the 4WD is rewarding, 2WDteaches bit; I believe this concept myself. But Ialso believe that the techniques involved are different and thus how you approach each vehicle requires two different schools of thought. I can generalize and say that 4WD vehicles are easier to drift or powerslide through turns because the front end is helping to pull the vehicle in the direction that the tires are turned. A 2WD vehicle requires a different technique to slide effectively without completely spinning out. You can see this when doing donuts; 2WD will actually do a donut and pivot around one of the front tires whereas a 4WD vehicle tends to "cyclone" with all of it's tires loosing traction. For the most part, whenever I've helped a new driver start they can maintain control of a 4WD truck more consistently than a 2WD.

I like Hobby King's Turnigy line of batteries. Hobbypartz.com has a good selection of Gens Ace ROAR approved packs too for similar prices. Here's an example of a pack I've used.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:04 AM
Nitro Pop

i would actually like a 4x4 SCT more, but the just cost so darn much
Old 01-19-2013, 09:18 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Yeah, they usually are more costly. The Ofna trucks come to mind; see if this search shows the Nexx and the TS4 rollers.

I think they'll meet your durability requirements but, not the aftermarket / hop-up parts availability.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:26 AM
Nitro Pop

*sighs* what i really want is the pede 4x4, i could make a racing truggy outta that, or better yet, a 4x4 rustler. i really wish traxxas didn't jack the prices of all their products.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:03 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

*sighs* what i really want is the pede 4x4, i could make a racing truggy outta that, or better yet, a 4x4 rustler. i really wish traxxas didn't jack the prices of all their products.
buy one used

Hell mine I bought as a used slash 4X4 roller for like $120, and just bought the parts to make it a pede which cost like $35 (was going to keep it a slash, but didn't like the handling) also conversion price didn't include tires or body as I had those already(had the bullet ST rimes/tires, and a MT1 body). Also flung in the center diff, and it handles pretty nice now Still could use better shock springs, and shock oil as the stock sucks.

Edit: damn are some of the prices insane on ebay...
Old 01-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Johnnysplits

I see you live in my area!! If you want to race and do well, the SC10FT is the way to go.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Johnnysplits

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner
starting with the RTR
All RTR's are a complete waste of money!! The only time I ever would recommend a RTR is for an absolute noob who's not sure if they want to stay with it long term or for someone who just wants to fart around with something in their yard from time to time.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:27 PM
kyleshrub

ORIGINAL: Johnnysplits

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner
starting with the RTR
All RTR's are a complete waste of money!! The only time I ever would recommend a RTR is for an absolute noob who's not sure if they want to stay with it long term or for someone who just wants to fart around with something in their yard from time to time.

I also think the original poster's request is like the mythical pursuit of the unicorn. There's no such a thing as a basher/racer. You're either out beating the crap out of it, and leaving it so messed up it's not worth the time trying to race it, or you're saving your racer for the track.