Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

YS 175CDI Stopping

Old 01-04-2013, 08:15 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default YS 175CDI Stopping

Hi All, I have a new 175 cdi that runs ok on the ground, but when flying the engine will quit when going into the first or second manouvre of the pattern.
I have changed cdi box and spark plug (checked gap). The engine has only had 5 or 6 tanks of fuel through it.
I previously had the 170 cdi fitted that ran well and i have not changed anything bar the engine. I have another model with a 175 and that runs ok. Both models are identical in set up.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Scott
Old 01-04-2013, 08:34 PM
flyncajun

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: YS 175CDI Stopping

Change your clunk
Bryan
Old 01-04-2013, 09:00 PM
drac1

Hi Bryan,

I am not using a clunk. I use the Tettra bladder tank. I have been using these tanks since flying the DZ140 and have never had a problem with engines quitting.

Regards
Scott
Old 01-05-2013, 07:30 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems you have air in the tank, try the clunk the way your tank is right now, with the bladder and all, just put the foam clunk on the hose and give it a try as Bryan said.

Regards
Old 01-05-2013, 08:35 AM
vquick
My Feedback: (71)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have that problem before and the problem was the pump replaced diaphragm also the 2 springs and the 2 check valves
Old 01-05-2013, 06:49 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I had an intermittent fault with the hall sensor in my 170cdi which drove me mad for weeks.

It'd run like a train on the ground but start to miss and carry on on the downwind pass after takeoff. Most times it would stop, sometimes it would just tick over at idle. A new disk valve/sensor assembly fixed it up (after changing nearly everything else).

Just add that to the list of reasons why a YS stops in flight along with the millions of others

Old 01-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it sound like it's going lean?

Perhaps to isolate any issue with the ignition module, could you put a glow plug in the motor to see if you can get through a complete flight?
Old 01-05-2013, 08:54 PM
drac1

I also had the same backplate problem with my 170.

Initially the 175 would only run nice at half throttle. It sounded lean at idle. I ran it on a glow plug and the engine ran perfectly. I changed the complete backplate assembly from my 170 onto the 175 and then it ran fine at full throttle. The idle was still a bit funny so today i changed the regulator from my 170 to the 175 and now it idles perfectly and will transition well to full power.
Will idle at 1600rpm for a few minutes and then transition up to full power without any problems. Max rpm is 6900 on the APC 20.5 X 10PN. My other 175 will pull 7200 on the same set up, but that has more run time.
I flew the complete pattern today without any hint of a problem. On completion of the pattern i was practising a couple of manouevres and the engine quit. I landed and did not switch anything off. I trtied to start it and it wouldn't fire. I run the Tech Aero IBEC and this is switched from the gear switch. I checked the output and it had 5.3 volts. OK. I switched the IBEC off and back on again. The engine started and ran perfectly. Hmmm. Even though i have already changed the ignition module when fault finding the initial problem, i will change it again and see how that goes.
Thanks to all for your advice and feel free to give any more that may be of benefit. I will let you know how the ignition module change works out.

Regards
Scott
Old 01-05-2013, 09:04 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott,

I am wondering if a standard CDI from a Saito gas 4 stroke might not work. I doubt a 2 stroke CDI from RCXcl will work but Saito makes 4 stroke gas engines and obviously has figured out the CDI portion. Just a thought
Old 01-05-2013, 11:22 PM
bjr_93tz

There's nothing tricky about the YS ignition box as it fires every up-stroke (compression AND exhaust) just like a two stroke. I could say if 2 stroke vs 4 stroke ignition curves are very different though?? Yamaha in their wisdom fitted one coil to my parallel twin 250cc 2-stroke and it fires both plugs at the same time when one's near the top (the other's near the bottom).

If you've had a 170cdi running fine for ages, a 175cdi running OK and having problems with the 2nd 175, then I'd be tempted to swap out the good running 175 with the one that's giving you trouble. This should isolate the problem to the motor itself and rule out power supply, cdi box and fuel.

After that it's anyone's guess or a warranty job??
Old 01-05-2013, 11:26 PM
drac1

Thanks for the input. I will try another cdi box first then change the engine out if that doesn't work.

I have had no problems with the engine distributor if it comes down to a warranty issue.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:00 PM
drac1

Changed the cdi box last night. I had 6 flights this morning without any problems whatsoever. I am back to work tonight so when i get home next week i will change the regulator back to the original just to confirm that the reg. is OK.

At the end of the day when the dust had settled, the problem came down to 2 things.

1) The back plate assembly was faulty.

2) The cdi box was faulty.

The replacement (warranty) back plate assembly arrived today. I will call the distributor later to arrange a cdi box.

Thanks to all for your advice. It was greatly appreciated. For me it's still a learning curve with these things when something is wrong.

I will keep you informed if there are any further developments.

Regards
Scott
Old 01-19-2013, 01:42 AM
drac1

Just thought i would give an update on how the 175 is going.

Excellent after sales service from the Australian YS distributor Tates Toy World. Thanks Eddie.

The back plate, ignition module and the fuel regulator was changed during the fault finding process from my 170, which resulted in the engine running perfectly.
The back plate and ignition module were replaced under warranty and fitted to the 175 to confirm all is good. I also refitted the original regulator.
I have since had 15 flights and the engine is still running perfectly, with no misfires whatsoever.
Just what i expect from YS.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:29 PM
bjr_93tz

ORIGINAL: drac1
For me it's still a learning curve with these things when something is wrong.

Regards
Scott
Ha, don't be fooled into believing that these motors can be learned.

They are like women in that they start acting up for only two reasons
#1 Something's wrong with it. (Not your fault but becomes your problem anyway)
#2 You're doing something wrong. (Sometimes you can get away with a lot, sometimes not)

Figuring out where the problem lies and how to fix it (in both cases) boils down to a combination of trial and error and dumb luck.....

Old 01-19-2013, 10:03 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bjr_93tz

#2 You're doing something wrong. (Sometimes you can get away with a lot, sometimes not)

Figuring out where the problem lies and how to fix it (in both cases) boils down to a combination of trial and error and dumb luck.....
Had a chuckle or two on these comments. Been together with the same woman for a life time (going on 40 years) but since I know practically nothing about them, it musta been dumb luck. My pop, God rest his soul, used to say" finding and getting a good woman to stay with you is like hitting the lottery". My pop was genius philosopher.....LOS
Old 01-20-2013, 03:20 AM
xrboss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: bjr_93tz

ORIGINAL: drac1
For me it's still a learning curve with these things when something is wrong.

Regards
Scott

That is just so true. That would be why I stopped using a YS. The random event generator seems to roll up stop or not idle so may times.