Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Tamiya Frog Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 03:53 AM
GreenDevil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Frog Build

Hi guys I'm a first time RC Car builder and am tackling a Frog. I have pretty much built it, but I am looking a fit quite a few hop ups etc. I have already custom made some front axle/hubs as the standard ones fell apart.

Take a look at the attached photos, I have used some hubs from a 1/10 HSP Buggy, with a little bit of filing and some new screws and lock tite, it should work pretty sweet and allow me to use some 12mm hex wheels on the front.

I haven't painted the body yet, but I am taking my time with it and want to do a really good job. I have already ordered a bunch of hop ups from Ebay and other websites so far I've ordered;

1) HD Steering Kit which replaces the flimsy steering arms
2) HPI Vintage 31mm whit 5 spoke wheels zero offset and HPI vintage 31mm rubber tyres.
3) Robinson Racing Telescopic Diff Gear Set with Robinson Racing counter gear and springs
4) Panda Parts side nerf guard set
5) Panda Parts Front Dampner Kit (Front Shocks), and
6) Tamiya Kydex front bumper

All of these items are arriving from overseas so hopefully I will see them in dirbs and drabs so I can fit them all as they come.

Also I am looking at this brushless combo

Castle Mamba Max Pro 7700KV Brushless ESC Combo

Also I am looking for an Anti-Wheelie bar to put on the back of the Frog has anyone got any recommendations?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87351.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1842436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61596.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1842437  
Old 01-20-2013, 09:54 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Frog Build

A 7700kv Castle?  In a Frog?  PHWEEEW!  Good luck keeping it on the ground!  And keeping the tires from flying off. IOW, a little bit of over-kill, doncha think?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:28 PM
GreenDevil

Yeah well I want it to be fast in a straight line to compete in the local 40m drag races. It's just a street competition and I think If I rock up with a Frog people will laught and underate rate it and I might be able to get a few wins.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:16 AM
john josey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried a similar thing back in 2006 when the frog was re-released, couldnt keep the rear tyres on the rims and shreaded the gearbox. I wish you all the best though
Old 01-24-2013, 12:26 PM
Scottgir

So take a vehicle which had a notoriously weak gear box BACK IN 1986, and throw a 7700KV brushless in it..

SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN!!

Seriously though...good luck. I love seeing these things. You'd be better off with a Grasshopper. That rear gearbox will handle more power than the frog.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:36 PM
john josey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was a plan....a bad one !!!
Old 01-25-2013, 04:07 AM
ElectricGuy007

iF i WAS GONNA RUN A 7700 MAMBA, id wanna run foam tires. Anything rubber would be decimated with a 5700kv. With a 7700 good luck! LOL
Old 01-26-2013, 04:01 PM
GreenDevil

Well perhaps a 7700KV Mamba is a little ambitious I might buy a HPI Blitz and put it in that instead.

With regard to the Frog. It is running a Robinson Racing Ball Diff, Heavy Duty Thorp Counter Gear and Telescopic slider/shafts from a 1/10 Traxxas, so the gearbox can handle a lot of power. I have ordered a HPI 15 turn Firebolt instead and I will see how that goes.

For the wheels I have ordered 31mm HPI Vintage 8 spoke Rims and 31mm HPI Vintage Rubber Tyres. I have also converted the front to be able to run 12mm Hex and have the rear 12mm Hex adaptors, so I will keep trying wheels and tyres until I see what is the best.