Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Forum Manners

Old 01-18-2013, 12:30 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Forum Manners

ORIGINAL: pcarluvr

This may be off course but I believe some people take offence to a post only due to the way the reply was typed. When someone posts something and it's read by many people, it could be taken many different ways. A person may have made a comment in a totally innocent manner but it gets typed in a way that another may think it was an attack on them? Make any sense?
You don't have to attack anyone on this site to get bounced by the moderator. I found that out by calling a particular manufacture by name and making negative comments about its' product.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:53 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Oh, I guess if the answer is right under one's nose, then not to check before posting a question may seem silly. I don't know of anyone though that got put down for asking, trolls excepted.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:30 PM
big JC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a relative newcomer I have to say, I'm quite taken aback when someone gets offended or personalizes a comment/post. This is especially shocking when what they are reacting to is obviously a good natured joke, and sometimes a funny one one at that. Irealizerc universerepresents "all walks of life" and in my opinion that's what makes it great. So to that extent I sayetiquetteshmetiquette, let the masses weed out jerks and be yourself.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:46 PM
GallopingGhostler

It's one of the reasons why in the workplace, my E-mail replies were short, straight, to the point, no humor, all official business. Even at that some would still read into my E-mail and complain. Then it was time for the supervisors to step in, and more likely than not, it wasn't me that got the chewing. So, what you say big JC is nothing new.

Sometimes people take the liberty to say stuff they wouldn't say person to person. I'd say the best rule is to relate to them as though they were in person, in a manner you'd want them to relate to you. The "Golden Rule" has dividends. (Therefore whatever you desire for men to do to you, you shall also do to them - from the Bible, Matthew 7:12)
Old 01-18-2013, 06:19 PM
big JC

Maybe so, but this is not the work place, and we are not ineracting in person. I for one appreciate humor, sarcasm, clever jabs, and being called out for being a dumb*****. It's what makes for a rich forum, and brings out the true character of it's members.I have many intersts and belong to several forums. It seems to me the forums that offer the most value are the one's that are least regulated. Editing and removing a members post does not allow one to fully evaluate the validy of a members advice.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:47 PM
GallopingGhostler

I understand what you are saying JC, and I agree, I did not mean to completely eliminate humor or spirit in posts. I gave work as an example relating to how people can misconstrue even the simplest of intentions. Where I've seen forum posts removed were in one case, an individual getting worked up to the point that they expressed the desire to inflict bodily harm on another poster. Another was personal attack in the form of direct insults. Those are going beyond reasonable limits of discussion, there is no value in those "learning" experiences.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:51 PM
big JC

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

I understand what you are saying JC, and I agree, I did not mean to completely eliminate humor or spirit in posts. I gave work as an example relating to how people can misconstrue even the simplest of intentions. Where I've seen forum posts removed were in one case, an individual getting worked up to the point that they expressed the desire to inflict bodily harm on another poster. Another was personal attack in the form of direct insults. Those are going beyond reasonable limits of discussion, there is no value in those "learning" experiences.
Agree^^ 100%. Certainly there's a big difference between needing to edit someone's post, and banning someone though. Your example would be the latter.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:03 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: big JC

Maybe so, but this is not the work place, and we are not ineracting in person. I for one appreciate humor, sarcasm, clever jabs, and being called out for being a dumb*****. It's what makes for a rich forum, and brings out the true character of it's members.I have many intersts and belong to several forums. It seems to me the forums that offer the most value are the one's that are least regulated. Editing and removing a members post does not allow one to fully evaluate the validy of a members advice.
sadly those 2 are not very easy to communicate over the net, and sometimes hard even in person depending on the individual.
Few weeks back I said something jokingly to a co-worker and got reported to a supervisor... it wasn't directed at her, and everyone else I said it to started laughing immediately except the one... It wasn't nothing bad, and honestly something idiotic to get reported over. Just the worker didn't catch it, and took it personally...

Sarcasm is worst in type as you can't judge the tone of the voice or facial movements to tell. Remember at my 1st job I submitted a resignation letter that was so sarcastic(I mean it was oozing with it) my co-workers thought the boss would slap me across the face upon reading it. Instead she took it sincerely, and almost started crying... Will say the reaction while not what I was looking for gave me a gigantic laugh after my boss walked out due to the look of the ppl I was working with as they were so dumbfounded(and shocked I could keep a straight face)

I've said it before and I'll say it again they REALLY need a font type for sarcasm
Old 01-18-2013, 08:38 PM
big JC

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

sadly those 2 are not very easy to communicate over the net, and sometimes hard even in person depending on the individual.
Few weeks back I said something jokingly to a co-worker and got reported to a supervisor... it wasn't directed at her, and everyone else I said it to started laughing immediately except the one... It wasn't nothing bad, and honestly something idiotic to get reported over. Just the worker didn't catch it, and took it personally...

Sarcasm is worst in type as you can't judge the tone of the voice or facial movements to tell. Remember at my 1st job I submitted a resignation letter that was so sarcastic(I mean it was oozing with it) my co-workers thought the boss would slap me across the face upon reading it. Instead she took it sincerely, and almost started crying... Will say the reaction while not what I was looking for gave me a gigantic laugh after my boss walked out due to the look of the ppl I was working with as they were so dumbfounded(and shocked I could keep a straight face)

I've said it before and I'll say it again they REALLY need a font type for sarcasm
I don't dispute any thing you have to say here, and I wish I could've been a fly on the wall when you quit........sounds pretty funny. But again this forum is not work related and shouldn't have the same political restraints.

If I genuinely use good hearted sarcasm and someone gets offended, who's at fault? Me or the person who reacts negatively? I would argue it's the latter. I don't want to and never will live in a world where I have to modify my behavior to appease idiots. With that said I have never so much as dared convey any form of sarcasm on these forums because you guys would school me in a heartbeat......as you should. Whichlis my overriding point, there is a natural pecking order on here dictated by experience, ability, and knowledge. I feel editing posts or even editing yourself messes with the integrity of that process
Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: big JC

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

I don't dispute any thing you have to say here, and I wish I could've been a fly on the wall when you quit........sounds pretty funny.[img][/img] But again this forum is not work related and shouldn't have the same political restraints.

If I genuinely use good hearted sarcasm and someone gets offended, who's at fault? Me or the person who reacts negatively? I would argue it's the latter. I don't want to and never will live in a world where I have to modify my behavior to appease idiots. With that said I have never so much as dared convey any form of sarcasm on these forums because you guys would school me in a heartbeat......as you should. Whichl is my overriding point, there is a natural pecking order on here dictated by experience, ability, and knowledge. I feel editing posts or even editing yourself messes with the integrity of that process
true was just an example as to how they could be misinterpreted by someone in person, and in writing, and what their reactions could be. It wasn't to mean that work ethics should extend here. Hell I'd be canned in a heartbeat if I talked at work how I type here
Old 01-19-2013, 12:41 AM
Haddi Taha

Humor is always welcome as long as we don't go overboard, or take something too seriously. It would suck if there were no funny comments
Old 01-20-2013, 08:35 AM
H5487

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: pcarluvr
I believe some people take offence to a post only due to the way the reply was typed. Make any sense?
Absolutely. As an example, typing in all caps is universally viewed as someone aggressively presenting their opinion; oftentimes perceived as shouting.

However, I have determined over the years that there are some folks in this world who are just simply argumentative, mean, hateful, and can't say a nice thing about anything or anybody. These are the ones who have few friends and now sit at their computers all day taking offense at anything and everything!

Many of the AMA Discussion threads come to mind...

Harvey

Old 01-20-2013, 02:11 PM
GallopingGhostler

Yes, I can associate with that, Harvey. When those folks show up who don't have a life, I've learned to move on. It is just not worth rebutting their "trolling", definitely counterproductive. This includes self proclaimed experts on topics such as aeronautics.

When things get hot, I need to ask myself if what I am doing now is more productive than something else I could be doing. Usually that is the time to work on one of my models, shop for parts/supplies, go visit someone, etc.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:35 PM
JohnP2

It's very simple for me. I don't write anything on the Internet or say anything on my YouTube channel that would make me ashamed if friends/family/co-workers read or saw it.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 PM
H5487

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

It's very simple for me. I don't write anything on the Internet or say anything on my YouTube channel that would make me ashamed if friends/family/co-workers read or saw it.

Probably good words to live by in everything we do and say, not just on the internet.

Harvey
Old 01-20-2013, 05:48 PM
H5487

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler
Yes, I can associate with that, Harvey. When those folks show up who don't have a life, I've learned to move on. It is just not worth rebutting their ''trolling'', definitely counterproductive.
I've known a few of them (not on the internet but in real life) and despite my efforts to be nice to them, I eventually resigned to the fact that they really do want to go through life as miserable people. Maybe it's a form of depression?

Harvey