Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Flyzone (HOBBICO) MILLENNIUM MASTER RxR & TxR

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Flyzone (HOBBICO) MILLENNIUM MASTER RxR & TxR

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 05:48 AM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Flyzone (HOBBICO) MILLENNIUM MASTER RxR & TxR

Just a quick note of what I have experienced with this new Model known as the Millennium Master from Flyzone (HOBBICO - TOWER Product).

I had complete confidence on the model as it came out of the box so, I followed ALL instructions carefully and to the "T" and my maiden result was not all that nice. Please note a buddy bought the same model and his maiden went okay on the same day.

To save you from going to other RC Discussion Threads, I am going to provide you with the Letter I sent to Electronicsupport at Hobbico.
================================================== ========================================

Dear Sir or Madame:

On Friday, 12-28-2012, I purchased the Flyzone Millennium Master TxR from Bob's Hobby Center in Orlando, Florida. I have been in the hobby for 40+ years and like to say that this model is very well designed and it handles like a baby doll. I say this because my buddy bought one as well and I video recorded his flight.

However, my model had an issue with an erratic Throttle condition and as you know the motor is controlled by the Brushless Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) of which I have not been able to locate any Programming Instructions to figure out why my motor is being STOPPED all of a sudden during high speed RPMs around 1/2 Throttle and then, it starts back UP again causing the Propeller, Propeller Adapter and Spinner assembly as a whole to depart my Flying Model during a high steep climb and resulting in a stall and crashing. I have documented this condition carefully and recorded many Video footage of the defective product. Needless to say my model is not in its pristine condition out of the box as a result of this defective Electronics (ESC).

In my troubleshooting, I have eliminated the STOCK provided 1800mAH Lithium Polymer battery, the ANY-LINK RF device, the STOCK 37mm Brushless Outrunner motor and to verify it is in fact the ESC, I replaced the ESC with one of your competition (E-Flite 30-AMP Switch Mode ESC). The STOCK motor, if I may say (You can verify this by watching my Videos) very smooth commutation resulted throughout the Throttle Range, unlike the STOCK No Name, No Programming Instructions ESC that came with the model as I reached 1/2 throttle it made a horrible squelch noise and the Motor stop all of a sudden and a few mini-seconds later it starts up again while keeping the Throttle Stick at the same 1/2 throttle point.

I would like to discuss this matter with an experienced Technical Agent in your company and secure for a new model, if possible. I have repaired the existing model but, the Videos do not show the terrible condition of the frontal FUSE nor those delicate and fragile Decals that almost looks like paint (Very Poor feature of this model).

Here are links to the Videos!

1. Video showing the STOCK ESC producing the condition I have described above (first one is CRASH):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYrhJmmLXtU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqQzj1uUYpQ

2. Videos showing a reproduction of the In-Flight Condition exhibiting from the STOCK ESC:
https://vimeo.com/56600145

2A. Video showing a competitor's ESC (E-Flite 30-AMP Switch Mode):
https://vimeo.com/56604851

I hope that I have provided enough information so, someone can call me up as soon as possible. Understandably, I am very upset that my new shiny Model has been damaged at no fault of mine and the various videos show the issue on the STOCK ESC.
==================================================

Needless to say that today someone received their model and quickly wasted no time and assembled it to find an identical issue with his model and you all can see his Video up at:

http://youtu.be/qD4vBemj3ds
Old 01-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Chucksolo69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flyzone (HOBBICO) MILLENNIUM MASTER RxR & TxR

Interesting. I had the ESC on my Tower Hobbies F4U Corsair die which caused a crash that cracked the wing. I called Tower Hobbies and they replaced the ESC at no charge. My model however, was no longer pristine. I figured if the model was still flyable, I wouldn't worry about the cosmetic damage. In fact, a warbird should not look pristine. Anyway, I installed the new ESC and my TH Corsair has flown many, many missions since I replaced the ESC. I'm sure that any reasonable request to Tower Hobbies will be granted. They are pretty great in the customer service arena.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 AM
guapoman2000

Chucksolo69,

Yes indeed, HOBBICO has directed me to ship the entire Model to them and did so on 01-02-2013 via UPS and they paid for shipping!
It seems like their warranty procedures may have changed since you encountered your issue as they did not give me any option to keep the model and instead they told me that they will be inspecting the model and ESC (Notwithstanding all the Video and Documentation I have provided).

I just hope they decide to provide another type of ESC with Programming Instructions rather than the NO NAME, NO Programming Instructions ESC that presently comes with the model.

They promised me a 2 day turn-a-round to ship me a new Millennium Master and I guess it will contain the same type of ESC, I do not know? If it does, it will be the first thing I take out, assuming the same type of ESC without Programming Instructions.

Regards,
Carlos
Old 01-06-2013, 02:54 PM
guapoman2000

I am sorry to report the another person has had STOCK ESC Issues with this model as he posted over at:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=277
Old 01-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Chucksolo69

You know, I think they would have given me a new model as well, but, I didn't ask for one or do much comlaining. I have spent quite a few dollars with them and I will continue to do so.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:26 AM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: Chucksolo69

You know, I think they would have given me a new model as well, but, I didn't ask for one or do much comlaining. I have spent quite a few dollars with them and I will continue to do so.
Hey Chuck,

Just so we are all clearly understanding each other and why I opened this thread.....

This thread are to report the GOOD and unfortunately for some of you, the BAD. I made sure that I documented all aspects of my issue not for any warranty reply from the Distributor but, rather for most of you all who come here and read up on this particular model. I do this so, everyone will have successful flights early on and noting any PIT FALLS that might be lurking behind these "NEW" Components for this "NEW" Model.

I hope and pray that you certainly continue to do business with whomever you feel gives you the satisfaction for your hard earned $$$.

Regards,
Carlos
Old 01-08-2013, 05:28 AM
guapoman2000

Good morning! I am presently fending off a Cold or something similar and could not sleep so, I monitored the Shipping Progress on my Returned Millennium Master with a Defective STOCK ESC.

In looking at all the different STOPS (Arrivals / Departures) it may have been better for me to have Paid for Shipping (I always use FEDEX Ground) as I was amazed how many loops and passes my model did on UPS. It certainly went pretty fast from Nashville, Tennessee to Hodgkins, IL (took 10 hours and near Chicago).

However, I just don't understand why once at Indianapolis, Indiana from Nashville, TN, it did not veer towards the West from I-64 onto I-74 towards Urbana, IL.?? I mean the model went all the way to Chicago, IL. (approximately ~ 141 mile deviation).

Well, in any case it is sitting at Urbana, IL which is a stone's throw to Champaign, IL.

Also, I am impressed in the relatively large Facility HOBBICO has at this location which is North Champaign and right next door to a super large FEDEX facility!!!
:

I just pray that the Box is still in one piece!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:27 PM
guapoman2000

Gals and Guys and Other Creatures

I just could NOT believe my eyes when I walked in my room to see this large box on my Desk Chair! Of course, I quickly opened it and to my pleasant surprise I found this!

TATIC 4-Channel 2.4G Transmitter that comes with the 6-Channel TACTIC Receiver!

I like to thank HOBBY SERVICES (HOBBICO - TOWER) for such a great gift!

I am stroked !

Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 AM
Chucksolo69

I have one of those radios (the six channel version)that came with my FZ Cessna 182 Skylane Select Scale. It is a great radio with plenty of power and range. I also am using their AnyLink module with my Spektrum DX6i TX and a Tactic 6 channel RX in one of my Tower Hobbies Corsairs. Both Anylink Module and Rx work flawlessly. Congrats on the gift. I knew Tower Hobbies would make good.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:08 AM
guapoman2000

MOTION RC Reply to my INQUIRY about RTF (TxR) & ARF (RxR) Models that come with ESC without any Programming Instructions.

================================================== ================================================== ================

Hi Carlos,

Tom is out of the office this week so I am responding to your message. First your point about ESCs – I agree the ESC is a crucial part to the plane’s power system and sometimes the documentation for them can be either cryptic or severely lacking. We’ve worked with several of our suppliers to improve the overall product manuals (larger, easier to read pictures, proper English translations, tips for new flyers, etc.) A logical next step is to improve the electronic component manuals which include the ESC. This will take some time as there are many different makes and models, but the good news is that most follow the same programming format. I’ll continue to work on a method to make it easier to understand all those beeps and tones, maybe a tutorial video even?

Second, regarding Hobbico specifically, we have a great relationship and we are located very close to their headquarters. They are very receptive to product improvement ideas and we have seen them release tech notes and make product design changes as a result of input from customers. I will forward your note about the need for improved ESCs instructions to the electronic components product manager and ask them to make improvements.

I greatly appreciate your feedback and suggestions for improvements.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Goetze

General Manager

Motion RC, LLC
Old 09-03-2013, 12:48 PM
guapoman2000

yesterday I went to pick up that MM from Peterswolf (Millenium Master) that was on Sale in the Classifieds We agreed to a reasonable price considering that I had to drive almost 200 miles round trip to get it.

I am amazed and very pleased with the condition of the model as it looks like it came right out of the box. Peter installed a cool looking pilot that meets the Experimental Look part and he installed a cool Nose Wheel strut with shock absorbing pneumatic piston. The upgrade ESC that he installed will be dismounted because it came with the Hobby King connectors and of which none of my ESC - to - Battery setups use.

Additionally, I applied one coat of the Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish clear, semi-gloss Water Base and now the model looks even better and protects those fragile decals.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:52 PM
guapoman2000

Okay guys,

I inspected the MM and it seems like you have to dismount the Spinner, Propeller, and cowling in order to change out the ESC as I wanted. However, to avoid all this, I got lucky to find a local Hobby Shop that I don't frequent because they sell more RC Cars / Trucks than Airplanes and I just got off the telephone to find out that they have a soldering station and have both, XT-60's and ULTRA DEANS and they can custom make a conversion harness.

We are aiming for.......

Click image for larger version

Name:	XT60toDEANS_zps6262211a.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	2235204
Old 09-03-2013, 12:52 PM
guapoman2000

I just did a few Google Searches with Hobby King at the end of the search sting and got this!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11300

Old 09-03-2013, 12:53 PM
guapoman2000

got at Superior Hobbies in Orlando, Florida (One of a few hobby shops open during Labor Day holiday) and this one is very close to my house but, I do not frequent since they cater to RC Cars, Trucks, and Boats and they really don't have anything that flies. However, I was very impressed with the customer service and fast assembly to make what I needed!! Like their name says.....Superior Hobbies and they match the service just like they call themselves. I will be coming to them for other soldering work since they have at least three technicians certified in Soldering and they carry (stock) all of the different possible combination(s) of Connectors!!!

Since I did not come with my own wire nor connectors the entire job was right around $8+ US and now I have spare XT-60 connector!

Here is the harness!

Name:	XT-60toUltraDeanHarness_zpsae038cea.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	2235202

Name:	XT-60toUltraDeanHarness2_zps9b0ee74b.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	2235203
Old 09-03-2013, 12:53 PM
guapoman2000

Guys,

Just reporting in to say that the lightly used MM I got from Peterswolf flew delightfully! I put two (2) batteries through it (2 flights)!

A few pictures showing the semi-Gloss shine with the MinWax product!

After 7 minute Typical Flight:
Old 09-06-2013, 02:33 AM
guapoman2000

Guys,

I just can't take the slow manners of this model with the STOCK 9 X 4.5 propeller so, I got into my Hobby Drawer and found a new APC Slow Flyer 9 X 6 and will be trying it out this morning!

Old 09-06-2013, 01:36 PM
guapoman2000

I was flying at Half Throttle and it was like flying with the STOCK propeller at Full.

At Full Throttle with the APC "Slow Flyer" 9 X 6 it zoomed nicely and sustained inverted passes were a thing of beauty

That nose gear with spring action does great on bumpy lumpy taxi way area!

Two flights of 7 minutes each and Loved the Up-Lines, very happy with the new Airspeed.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:46 AM
guapoman2000

Hello guys,

Just a few pictures first and Video to follow.....

Old 09-08-2013, 12:10 PM
guapoman2000

VIDEO!!!

https://vimeo.com/74059750

https://vimeo.com/74059750

Last edited by guapoman2000; 09-09-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:57 AM
guapoman2000

I was alerted that not all can view my Videos at Vimeo so, I uploaded the same recent Video up to YouTube for carefree viewing.

http://youtu.be/41idpVdmrzw
Old 09-14-2013, 07:43 AM
adrthatxftghwen

I think they would have given me a new model as well,
Old 09-15-2013, 04:24 PM
guapoman2000

I flew my Millenium Master again this morning. This time he performed the BEST inverted LOW PASS straight down th runway at Moonport Modelers RC Club.

This plane can easily become someone's favorite sport/Pattern plane due to it's looks and flight!!

Gerry Rivera (simano) has great skill at Photography and here are more In-Flight pictures of the MM again!

Noticed how low I commanded the MM!

Warm Up Inverted Pass

The One that Counts!

My MM Kissed the Ground once again!

A happy Camper!
Old 05-30-2016, 09:18 AM
guapoman2000

Took out my MM to my RC Club field and it performed delightfully.

Ran three (3) batteries through it and my buddy Gerry Rivera took some really great High Resolution Pictures with his new PENTAX Digital Single Lens Reflex (DSLR).

Here is my MM in-flight! It is completely STOCK except I am using 3-Cell, 2200mAH, 30C, Lithium Polymers and APC Slow Flyer 9 X 6 propeller.

Touch & Goes!