Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF Skygate Hawk in the house !

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF Skygate Hawk in the house !

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 04:43 AM
Mark H

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CARF Skygate Hawk in the house !

I have also purchased the scale painted cockpit, this is of world champion standards. Even includes the cockpit divider glass with holes drilled ready to simply screw together, I think, sorry Know that artf have come of age, CARF have live up to their name on this one.
There is how ever one big problem! I now want their L39. :-) only when it comes painted.....
Hope this has made you feel better BOB.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:44 AM
Colin Gontier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Robert - you've got to get one now - they are all the rage

If I don't have any gyro mishaps and can plug all the leads in the right way round we will have to make sure we get a flying meet together next year. Formation triple with your Airworld and Mark and mine.

All my new babies spend a little time in the living room being "appreciated" by me before going to get hung up so you can imagine what its like with the Hawk and the other "little" toy that arrived earlier this week - thankfully the wife is going through a tolerant phase at the moment

regards

Colin

Old 12-21-2012, 08:16 AM
thomaslo

Congrats with your new model Colin - looks awesome!!

Thanks for making a build thread on this one.

Are you going to install the speed brake on yours? I have looked through a lot of pictures, but can't find the swiss hawk with the speed brake deployed. I use it on my Airworld Hawk (red arrows scheme) to slow it down, but this bird will probably slow down enough just by deploying flaps. If you are it would be interesting to see how you build it :-)

Brgs,

Thomas L
Old 12-21-2012, 08:50 AM
bobg

Colin you bet ,I definately need one ,but will have to let the dust settle a while .....I see you are now a rep for carf so will be able to order through you and then make the excuse to go collect it and bring a jet with me just in case there would be a jet fly in that weekend thats me sorted for 2013

Robert
Old 12-21-2012, 08:54 AM
bobg

Mark ...you know you will have the L39 as well ...Anita will not say a word ...dont forget to get some photos up .....

Robert
Old 12-21-2012, 09:01 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice project Colin! You just keep rolling out the cool projects from your (Santas?) workshop!
Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Colin Gontier

Thomas,

Thanks - I have ordered the speed brake but have not received it yet. You are right however the Swiss Hawk does not have the speed brake to my knowledge either. I thought I might put it on later if I wanted the model heavier. I will be leaving a channel spare for it on my radio setup !

Robert - absolutely, I will pencil that order in then . You should try and make it down for a Classic Jets at Abingdon sometime or if not we have the odd jet fest at the airfield near Mark. Im sure Mark could pull a few strings at the airfield and we could make a weekend of it. There is a very accommodating lady in a guest house just around the corner right next to the pub so all the bases covered

Sean - How is the Hunter going ? I need some elves to help keep things moving !

regards

Colin

Old 12-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Jetfan20
My Feedback: (21)

Colin,

I have the Pre-CARF Skygate Hawk, I landed a good deal on it. I will have to clean it up a bit and get a nice paint job on it and it will be good as new.

Did yours come with the fins that mount near the speedbrake? If so, could you give me the measurements for them, as I will have to make some out of G10.

Thanks in Advance

Ty
Old 12-21-2012, 07:46 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Colin Gontier

Sean - How is the Hunter going ? I need some elves to help keep things moving !

regards

Colin

It's good, just waiting for the spring and better weather. Installed a K140 in it and seems to perform well with that.
Looking forward to some more flights on it. In the meantime, its building season.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:58 AM
thomaslo

Hi Collin,

Received mine a week ago - same colour scheme as yours. I have done som modifications to the kit for practical handling on the field. The screws for joining the two body half's on the field was to hard to get to. Both body half's needed some extra structure as well for easy joining.

The elevator mechanisme was also modified like my airworld hawk. The stab got 250 grams in front to balance it. Ball links were taken from the original mechanisme and the center point for ball link attached to the stab is moved exactly on top of the hinge point.

Here are som pictures.

Thomas L

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59727.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1839952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67429.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1839953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41140.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1839954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26934.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1839955  
Old 01-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Colin Gontier

Thomas - looking very good !

Your modification on the stab looks very nicely done. I am keeping mine stock but it is interesting to see different ideas.

What turbine is going in yours?

Regards

Colin
Old 01-14-2013, 02:12 AM
thomaslo

Hi Colin,

I will use the Behotec 180 Gold (normally rated with 180N, but this one has 200N). Think it will do ok.

From the pictures it lookes like you are going for a JetCat - the 200SX version?

Brgs,

Thomas
Old 01-14-2013, 03:57 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

That's an RX series ECU so I'd say 180RX - good combination!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:06 AM
Colin Gontier

Yes its going to fly with the JetCat 180RX. I think that should be good power although I do have a 200SX as backup just in case

Old 01-14-2013, 07:41 AM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine now has a 200sx.. and its the famous mark schroeder built model.  I reckon its atleast 25 kgs?  I flew it on saturday and with a large skygate tank, the takeoff with a 200sx was with a lot of authority, almost like a 45 degree climb out...not scale but I was happy it was really cruising.  I would think a 200sx is the ideal engine.  A bit more than necessary but its always good to have a little reserve push.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Colin Gontier

Anurag - I guess you will have to give me a go next week then - just so I can feel the power

regards

Colin
Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 AM
c_makhija

Anurags famous hawk does not leave his private airfield, Colin you will need a few more days in India after Aamby, to visit Anurag in Nagpur if you want to feel the power.

Chatty.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Tint

Hello

Any news about the Hawk? I picked up mine today and i'm still impressed about the size in my workshop. Did anybody already finish the built?

Regards
Martin

Old 01-28-2013, 04:04 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

ORIGINAL: thomaslo

Hi Collin,

Received mine a week ago - same colour scheme as yours. I have done som modifications to the kit for practical handling on the field. The screws for joining the two body half's on the field was to hard to get to. Both body half's needed some extra structure as well for easy joining.

The elevator mechanisme was also modified like my airworld hawk. The stab got 250 grams in front to balance it. Ball links were taken from the original mechanisme and the center point for ball link attached to the stab is moved exactly on top of the hinge point.

Here are som pictures.

Thomas L

Hi Thomas, I am scheduled to receive mine in 3 weeks but for ease of transport, i might have to make the nose to come off easily. Could you please advise that what was the main problem with the way that the factory set it up and if you made template of the parts you made?

Thanks, Behzad
Old 01-28-2013, 07:30 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Behzad,

I'm glad to see you picked up a Carf Hawk. Now Dean W is getting one as well. So all we have to do is talk Rietzel into buying one and we've got a fleet going. Of course, then Roberto can't be outdone so he'll sell his Skymaster and upgrade to the big CARF Hawk. Oh and then I think Bill B was missing his Hawk too......

PaulD
Old 01-28-2013, 11:39 PM
Colin Gontier

ORIGINAL: DUCMOZ

Hi Thomas, I am scheduled to receive mine in 3 weeks but for ease of transport, i might have to make the nose to come off easily. Could you please advise that what was the main problem with the way that the factory set it up and if you made template of the parts you made?

Thanks, Behzad
Hey Behzad, each to their own of course but IMO the fuselage joining screws are quite easy to get to with a ball driver. I have had my fus together and apart about 20 times during my build and not struggled at any point. I will get my Hawk out later and try to take some pics with my hand in there so you can see and decide for yourself.

Regards

Colin
Old 01-29-2013, 03:37 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Paul

Did you get one or one coming ? It would definately be fun flying them together, But Behzad Style (Sllowww) and not Paul Style!!

Hi Colin

Thank you so much for your advise. I appreciate the assurance. I do not mind a little work if the joint is solid.

Behzad
Old 01-29-2013, 03:44 PM
reznor
My Feedback: (4)

Hey Paul,

I don't miss my Hawk too much. I just picked an Ultra Flash and an A10. That should keep me busy for a while.

Bill Broderick

ORIGINAL: PaulD

Hey Behzad,

I'm glad to see you picked up a Carf Hawk. Now Dean W is getting one as well. So all we have to do is talk Rietzel into buying one and we've got a fleet going. Of course, then Roberto can't be outdone so he'll sell his Skymaster and upgrade to the big CARF Hawk. Oh and then I think Bill B was missing his Hawk too......

PaulD
Old 01-29-2013, 07:23 PM
kev-o
My Feedback: (1)

You guys better show this year at Princeton with the hardware the ramp is getting full with tutors we need some others to push out the little guys.

Kevin
Old 01-29-2013, 08:30 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: DUCMOZ

Hi Paul

Did you get one or one coming ? It would definately be fun flying them together, But Behzad Style (Sllowww) and not Paul Style!!

Hi Colin

Thank you so much for your advise. I appreciate the assurance. I do not mind a little work if the joint is solid.

Behzad
Hey Behzad,

Nope, just stirring the S**T

Looking forward to test flying Dean's though.

PaulD

Hey - Kev-o and I will be heading down to NWME so if you're there we can get dinner and a beer after at RR's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.