Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

HET vs Sunchange

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:31 AM
BIuehawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HET vs Sunchange

Not knowing much about the different EDF units I'm curious as to the quality differences between HET and Sunchange. If they're both good, can the motors interchange between the EDF units?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 AM
ACES&8s

Default RE: HET vs Sunchange

The load on the motor is greater, with 10 or 12 bladed fans, and the HET is a 4 blade. So the motors are interchangable, but you use more cells, higher volts with the HET. If you use the same motor and same voltage, the performance results are quite different. I have read that the pitch on the HET fans blades in agressive, meaning a faster flow of air through the ducting. Thrust and exit airspeed are interdependant, and empiracle results are the best formula. Extreme RC tests with thrust, efflux and voltage current and watts results posted on the site.

To get a good idea of what works...YouTube channels for EFFLUXRC and EXTREMERC are very good vids to watch.

My test results point to using more watts than recommended, to get good power....but, certain considerations are mandatory...like making certain the fan unit is sound, mechanically, and that the rotor is balanced. I've run the Changesun 10 blade 70 mm on a Velocity Cool42 (4200kv) on 4 cell 3300mah 65-135C Turnigy Nano-Tech burning 1400 watts through the rotor...and very good results. Alot of folks will tell you that's a 3 cell setup...but 4 cell was fine. In an L-39 composite is was a rocket!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:56 AM
ACES&8s

Incidentally...Change Sun has a 12 blade 70 mm now. I'm running it on a Cyclone Power CS-480-2500 2500kv motor with a 6 cell pack when it comes. The Cyclone is rated at 1400, and the fan unit is rated for 1800 watts, 52,000 rpm. I'll try to get back to the forum with some testing...video. I've made a thrust stand to measure output with a scale. So I'll post Volts Holding, Current Max, Watts Max, Pounds Thrust, and a video of the test. I've ordered a 6 cell 100 amp Turnigy dLux controller. I'll have to wait a while to purchase the 6 cell, 2700mah, 65-135C Nano-Tech battery. I have 3300 6 cell packs now...so I'll do a first test with the bigger battery. The cyclone motor is an outrunner, so amybe not so efficient, we'll see. Maybe a Velocity Cool29 or Dr. Mad Thrust Turnigy inrunner in the future....
Old 01-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Extreme_RC

ORIGINAL: BIuehawk
Not knowing much about the different EDF units I'm curious as to the quality differences between HET and Sunchange. If they're both good, can the motors interchange between the EDF units?
You should also look at the Wemotec Minifan PRO, as its pretty much the premium 70mm fan on the market, German made and very hi level of engineering.

The Changesun fans are pretty good in 70mm size, at least the rotors are, the adapters and housings etc are a little iffy, shaft adapters especially can cause a lot of issue with balancing and vibration due to the poor QC of the bores and off centre spinner bolt holes in 50% of them.

As Aces said the load is very different on the rotors, where the wemotec would use a 3700Kv motor to get 1.5kg thrust the CS10 blade needs 2500Kv+/- to get to the same thrust level, and the motor needs to be fairly beefy and torquey otherwise it bogs down and you end up burning watts without spinning the fan up.

You are best to post up info on the model you are wanting to power, what gear you have on hand, batteries, esc etc, and if not what your budget is and what you want to achieve, that way you will get advice aimed at the model and your desired performance/$$
Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 AM
ACES&8s

I got the Change Sun 12 blade 70 mm and it gets 2.32Kg thrust at 1872 watts with a Cyclone CS480-2500-32EDF at only 80 % throttle. The batteries are 6s 65-135c 3.3 ah NanoTech.

I'm changing to a Velocity Cool29...but first I wait for the Turnigy dLux programming box, to read out the RPM from the 1800 watts
Old 01-21-2013, 08:59 PM
ACES&8s

The CS 12 and 2500kv Cyclone is a 5 cell setup, 6 is excessive
Old 01-21-2013, 09:02 PM
ACES&8s

The main problem with my fans have all been the shaft adapters. The WemoTec Fan adapter is excellent, and the rotor is machined to fit the shaft adapter. Runs TRUE!

The CS has issues.

The HET rotor is good too...but as stated the shaft adapter can move insidethe rotor, and very slight issue.

My dad had lathes, and I have a nephew that got them. I'm gonna see if his shop will make good shaft adapters for us.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:14 PM
gary41
My Feedback: (5)

Many of the CS adapters are bad. I got a pair from Extreme RC, and they are perfect!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:13 PM
ACES&8s

Yeah...the guys down under are good. I'm gonna get in touch with my nephew. He makes rocket motors and motocross bike parts...got a shop. I'm gonna ask him to make some shaft adapters for the fans, and see if he wants to sell them on Ebay. He might just be game...haven't seen Scott in a few years, but I keep in touch with his dad. My favorite brother Johnny.

I suppose he can turn threads, and he get's aluminum all the time. We could specify a grade. I'll draw up the blueprints for adapters, to fit the CS, the Wemotec, and any others I can think of that would be helpful. The grub screw type, with four screws, and threaded ends for the spinner screw. Let's see....

The HET vs. Change Sun thread has turned alittle like off the question. lol
Old 01-23-2013, 03:39 PM
Extreme_RC

Unfortunately uness he has a CNC lathe and is willing to make a few hundred at a time, no way will it be worth machining adapters. The runout has to be extremely low, so making adapters in a regular lathe, having to remove them and flip round to work on both ends, bore them etc, takes so much time to mic uphe would have to sell them for 50 bucks a pop.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:24 PM
ACES&8s

I emailed Scott...he may have a solution. 1/24/2013 10:24

He is a hobbyist. Makes Sounding Rockets.

Zcases channel on Youtube
Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 PM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

the het will run circles around that pos sun fan. get a het or a wemo
Old 02-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Extreme_RC

The CS rotor runs great in 2 of my models, in my F16 its performing within 5% of one of the most efficient Wemotec 4s combos around. POS? Hardly if you know how to use it...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elrBV1tkpQg[/youtube]