Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New Evolution 10cc gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:00 AM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Evolution 10cc gas engine

Here is what the glow Evo .60 will do, properly set up: [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJqTbWpfF4E&feature=youtu.be]VH Yak55/Evo .60[/link]. This will have quite a bit more power than the gas 10cc, but I'd guess the gasser will pull the Sabre around fairly well. The Yak55 is no longer available from Value Hobby (I've had 2 [8D]), but it shares the wing and basic size with the Sabre 47.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:17 AM
chandley43231

Cool ill put a 3 prop on mine the b-25  hanger9
Old 01-25-2013, 08:55 AM
Hance

ORIGINAL: rcrobby82

Hance,
Please let us know how the performance is on this engine/plane combo.

Did you have any issues with balance?
What size tank is that?

Thanks,
Rob

I will let you know as soon as I fly it. I might just have to break down and put my skis on it. I am going to fuel it up and run it for awhile today to get the needles set. I live at such high altitude I am guessing its going to be rich on both. I didn't have any trouble with balance at all. The engine is mounted basically in the center of the rails so it could be moved about an inch in either direction with out problems. The leads on the ignition module are long enough I was able to mount it just ahead of the CG inside the wing to keep things clean looking. The tank is an 8 ounce.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:20 AM
fly24-7

ORIGINAL: freeonthree

Do they have other mufflers for it. I don't see that one fitting inside any scale cowl.
A post earlier in the thread indicted that you can run a Bisson pitts.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:21 AM
fly24-7

ORIGINAL: Billsky

How do you think a Twist 60 would do with the Evo 10 GX gasser? Getting a bit sick of the nitro scene. I Purchased one and think I may just give it a try on the twist 60.
How do you plan on flying your Twist?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Mikola

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking this one.... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?I=LXASPH&P=8

Old 01-25-2013, 03:30 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: wyo69cowboy

Here is what the glow Evo .60 will do, properly set up: [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJqTbWpfF4E&feature=youtu.be]VH Yak55/Evo .60[/link]. This will have quite a bit more power than the gas 10cc, but I'd guess the gasser will pull the Sabre around fairly well. The Yak55 is no longer available from Value Hobby (I've had 2 [8D]), but it shares the wing and basic size with the Sabre 47.
I have both of those Value Hobby models - the structure up front is really not designed for a IC engine -
Old 01-25-2013, 06:57 PM
dwreel

Have you had a chance to fly the Seagull FunFly3D with the evo 10cc yet ? I like this plane and am thinking about getting one of th Evo 10cc engines.

regards
dick
Old 01-26-2013, 01:51 AM
psmith36

OK I'm new to the gasser. Mine just shipped today and I am putting it in a Tiger 2 that has sat in the box on my bench for a year. Hope to have it built in a couple months. I have a hectic schedule with 4 boys and a rotating shift job.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:10 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dwreel

Have you had a chance to fly the Seagull FunFly3D with the evo 10cc yet ? I like this plane and am thinking about getting one of th Evo 10cc engines.

regards
dick
Dick... yes, I've now ten flights on the Funfly 3D.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11383531

Old 01-27-2013, 05:49 AM
austenrover

I have had 10 flights also.Ive got mine in a wot 4 for running in purposes.It weights 5.5lbs and will just pull out of a prop hang very slowly.Im using the 12x6 prop and getting 10700rpm on the ground and am on the rich side.
The engine pulls the plane very well in the vertical climb but is not unlimited but gets to at least 400m height without slowing.
Id really like to find a 3d plane to put it in.im not a huge fan of funfly models (mainly because i like to mix fast scale aerobatics with some light 3d )i think that funfly models are probarly the best option if you want a 3d capable model.
Got say im impressed with the engine so far and it may find its way into a warbird
Old 01-27-2013, 06:32 AM
tyor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought one of these from Sussex model center in GB. Have it on a phoenixmodel future http://www.phoenixmodel.com/Default....&CatId=5&id=22

testing on ground give me 12450rpm with apc 12x4 Tried it in the air today and it was plenty of power. had 2 deadstick becouse of the pressure tube fell off the niple on the muffler. have to use some strips to fasten it. changed to apc 12x8 today and got 9300rpm. I have only 3 tanks of gas tru it yet. So i think this is a great little engine. HAve little video her from testing on the ground with the 12x4 prop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be0FC...TQldoQpiBrF5MQ
Old 01-27-2013, 11:42 AM
FlatSpin

ORIGINAL: FlatSpin

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

I would like to see how it responds with the mac's black muffler, one piece unit. We are talking the extra volume version for the 55AX and 60NX. My 55AX's really come alive with this extra volume version muffler since it is larger than the .46 version.

If a certain pipe is tuned for glow, I don't know if that tuning is necessarily optimal for the same engine in gas.
You read my mind! I was thinking the same thing and will see if my OS 55AX MACs muffler will fit. If so, I might have some stats for you on Sunday (wx permitting).

Dave
I couldn’t wait for the weekend and decided to see what the MACs muffler would do. I switched to an APC 12x6 and got 10900 RPMs out of the stock muffler on the ground. At this altitude, I guess that is about right as we typically get an approx 15-20% performance decrease over sea level. I then put my OS 55AX MACs muffler on the Evolution. It fit the mounting bolt pattern OK, but I saw at least 1700-1800 RPM decrease over the stock muffler. The most I got out of it was barely 9000-9100 RPMs, but after about 2 minutes, the RPMs suddenly decreased to a “surging†7600-7800. No amount of needle adjustments brought it back up and I even took off the muffler and remounted it two times just to be sure it was on correctly. Same results each time of upper 7K RPMs. So, in reality, I saw about 2800 RPM decrease from the stock muffler. This was just a gee whiz experiment with a muffler I had on hand. I hope another after market muffler designed for this engine will do better. You got to give the R&D guys credit, they designed the stock muffler for optimum performance.

Interestingly enough, I gained about 900 RPMs on the stock muffler by disconnecting the muffler pressure line. When the pressure line was on the muffler nib, the RPMs dropped to about 10000 but removing it caused an immediate increase to 10900-ish. Has anyone else seen this?

Dave
Well. I tried the MACs muffler again today. MUCH better performance than before. I only gained about 300 RPM over the stock muffler (13x6 APC stock muffler = 12700, MACS = 13000), but it sure quieted it down and gave it a better sound. Not as tinny? Also, there are no parts to vibrate apart and/or fall off. Another flier at my field is also using the MACs on his Evo 10cc with similar results. Slight RPM gain and a lot quieter.

I'm not sure why the difference from this test from last one, except I now have a gallon of gas thru this thing and it is much more broken in. Also, it is in the low 50s today versus the mid-20s from before. Maybe a slightly larger tuned muffler will work better? I’m not in to tuned pipes, so I’ll leave that experiment to someone else.

Dave
Old 01-27-2013, 03:58 PM
josephcraig

Dave,

i ordered the evo 10gx , hopefully be in tuesday. i'm thinking of putting the pitts muffler on it.do you think it will hurt the performance.could you tell any performance differences from stock to other. the times ive seen performance mufflers used, you loose power and the highest rpm.i think it comes from not having the back pressure on the engine and it loses that at the peak rpms..what do you think.

craig
Old 01-27-2013, 08:36 PM
FlatSpin

ORIGINAL: josephcraig

Dave,

i ordered the evo 10gx , hopefully be in tuesday. i'm thinking of putting the pitts muffler on it.do you think it will hurt the performance.could you tell any performance differences from stock to other. the times ive seen performance mufflers used, you loose power and the highest rpm.i think it comes from not having the back pressure on the engine and it loses that at the peak rpms..what do you think.

craig
Craig,

You'll love the Evo! I don't have a lot of experience with Pitts mufflers, but I do have on on my DLE 20 and it works fine. I use it because of the cowl on my P40, rather than for performance considerations. There are others that can chime in on their experiences with them, though. I'd break in the Evo 10 with the stock muffler and stay on tip of checking the muffler screws and bolt. They loosen up quite a bit the first few tank fulls but stay tight after that.

Dave
Old 01-28-2013, 05:15 AM
josephcraig

Thanks Dave,

Lot of the guys at my field don't like evolution,but i have one evo trainer engine i bought used and its probably the best running engine i have got in my fleet.Very smooth transition from low rpm to max and really strong.I think the guys at the field had experience with the first engines    from them.I think i will be happy with the engine.Just take it to the field and let them see how well they run..thanks

Craig

Old 01-28-2013, 07:58 AM
rmh

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

I would like to see how it responds with the mac's black muffler, one piece unit. We are talking the extra volume version for the 55AX and 60NX. My 55AX's really come alive with this extra volume version muffler since it is larger than the .46 version.

If a certain pipe is tuned for glow, I don't know if that tuning is necessarily optimal for the same engine in gas.
You read my mind! I was thinking the same thing and will see if my OS 55AX MACs muffler will fit. If so, I might have some stats for you on Sunday (wx permitting).

Dave
I couldn’t wait for the weekend and decided to see what the MACs muffler would do. I switched to an APC 12x6 and got 10900 RPMs out of the stock muffler on the ground. At this altitude, I guess that is about right as we typically get an approx 15-20% performance decrease over sea level. I then put my OS 55AX MACs muffler on the Evolution. It fit the mounting bolt pattern OK, but I saw at least 1700-1800 RPM decrease over the stock muffler. The most I got out of it was barely 9000-9100 RPMs, but after about 2 minutes, the RPMs suddenly decreased to a “surging†7600-7800. No amount of needle adjustments brought it back up and I even took off the muffler and remounted it two times just to be sure it was on correctly. Same results each time of upper 7K RPMs. So, in reality, I saw about 2800 RPM decrease from the stock muffler. This was just a gee whiz experiment with a muffler I had on hand. I hope another after market muffler designed for this engine will do better. You got to give the R&D guys credit, they designed the stock muffler for optimum performance.

Interestingly enough, I gained about 900 RPMs on the stock muffler by disconnecting the muffler pressure line. When the pressure line was on the muffler nib, the RPMs dropped to about 10000 but removing it caused an immediate increase to 10900-ish. Has anyone else seen this?

Dave
Well. I tried the MACs muffler again today. MUCH better performance than before. I only gained about 300 RPM over the stock muffler (13x6 APC stock muffler = 12700, MACS = 13000), but it sure quieted it down and gave it a better sound. Not as tinny? Also, there are no parts to vibrate apart and/or fall off. Another flier at my field is also using the MACs on his Evo 10cc with similar results. Slight RPM gain and a lot quieter.

I'm not sure why the difference from this test from last one, except I now have a gallon of gas thru this thing and it is much more broken in. Also, it is in the low 50s today versus the mid-20s from before. Maybe a slightly larger tuned muffler will work better? I’m not in to tuned pipes, so I’ll leave that experiment to someone else.

Dave
A solid, repeatable 300 rpm gain is quite a bit on this setup
tuned pipes are not black magic - but they do take up a lot of space -
tuned mufflers ?
good luck- the smaller the chambers and the shorter the overall length- the fussier the setup becomes AND typically- the faster the engine must turn.
there are no magic setups . some sellers try to pawn off short "tuned" muffers on the uninformed public- Never saw ONE which was worth having
Old 01-28-2013, 08:56 AM
josephcraig

GUYS,

i'm leaning toward the hanger 9 katana 50.i think that will be a good combo..i have a stinger ii with os 46fx. i want to leave it like it is..have to save my money to get t he arf..
                                              craig

Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 AM
wyo69cowboy

ORIGINAL: rmh

I have both of those Value Hobby models - the structure up front is really not designed for a IC engine -
Guess I'd have to disagree a little; I've seen plenty of both the Sabre 47 & Yak 55 with glow setups; I personally have approximately 100 flights on my Yak55 with a Saito .82. The Evo glow 60 or 10cc gas likely don't shake as much as my .82...
Old 01-28-2013, 12:07 PM
josephcraig

yea,

those 4stroke saito 82 are hard to beat far 3d flying..lot of torque at low rpm and pull large props with no problems..its good to see one of the main engine companies  jump in head first to see if they can get others to follow on this gas engine,weight is always been the problem ..give them some time,i'm sure they will figure it out...
Old 01-28-2013, 12:57 PM
rmh

ORIGINAL: rmh

Guess I'd have to disagree a little; I've seen plenty of both the Sabre 47 & Yak 55 with glow setups; I personally have approximately 100 flights on my Yak55 with a Saito .82. The Evo glow 60 or 10cc gas likely don't shake as much as my .82...
I forgot they also offered other Yak Sabre - electric type - I have those two - very good performers and very light. using electric motors - very delicate construction .
Old 01-28-2013, 01:14 PM
nalby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Horizon has the h9 p-40 50 on sale for $99 I think i'm going to get one and drop the 10cc in with the bison muffler. what do you think? also has anyone used a 3 bladed prop yet? if so what size and how did it preform?

Thanks Jim
Old 01-28-2013, 02:18 PM
wyo69cowboy

For a C note, that'll be an awesome plane to try this 10cc gasser on! Post your results
Old 01-28-2013, 05:11 PM
josephcraig

Dave,

From your experience with the engine do you think it compares same performance numbers to glow engine its same size?

Craig......
Old 01-28-2013, 05:18 PM
josephcraig

hey,
have you purchased th evo 10 yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.