Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Good Newb Questions

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Good Newb Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 04:26 AM
dragonbat13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Newb Questions

I Have been messing with Nitro Cars for a couple of years now. I live in southern Louisiana and there is about fifty places within driving distance of my house where I could run a boat. So I want a boat.

I am mostly interested in the large Deep V Gas powered boats in the 40"+ lengths. I want to make this a long term project, as I enjoy the building end of RC as much, if not more, than actually running them.

I for sure want to start out with a Hull and build on it, rather than buy a complete kit or RTR.

I figure that I could build it to a race spec, IF there is a local racing group that races these larger boats. That would only be to give me the option of racing if I wanted to. But I am not building to race. I just dont have the time to race. I figure that the boat would make three or four outings a year, so a high level of after care is not as much an issue as it would be to some.

Anyway, what I am needing to know is,

Where are there some good places to look for info? Also what are some good quality hull companies in the US that I can look at? What about engines? And last, what are the US based racing organizations I can look at the determine what classes would interest me the most? I figure if I looked at the racing classes, it could give me a better idea of what most people do to get the most out of their boats that are the same as what I am interested in.

Although I have looked at quite a few RC boats of this type, this is the kind of boat I am looking into building. I may go more in depth on the details like finish and looks, AKA "shelf queen stuff". This boat seemed to be a temporary use project.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11375084/tm.htm

Thanks for any help!

Mark
Old 01-26-2013, 06:56 AM
Paul M

Default RE: Good Newb Questions

Don't do anything until you hook up with a club and watch some. Beware .... by announcing that you have 1500 samoleans to spend will invite less than scrupulous people to attempt to sell you over priced equipment or just plain junk. Not sure who it is but I am sure there are many clubs in your area. Someone will chime in soon.

Stay with proven vendors with good track records. By cruising this forum and others (I can PM you links if need be - they do not allow posting them on this forum) it will become obvious after while who you should and should not do business with.

Learn and research before you buy and it will save you a lot of hassle and heartache in the long run.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:49 AM
dragonbat13

If you could PM me a few links. Or just names of manufactures and I can search them up myself.

There used to be some boat racing in Sulphur, LA. But that was years ago. I like in Lake Charles about ten minutes from sulphur.

The big thing in lake charles is Planes and Mostly Helicopters. They have the fifty year old LARCS RC club. But it is almost exclusivly aircraft.

I do plan on 100 percent researching anything before I buy it. Being in the Car end of things is getting the same way, cars that imitate a quality brand except for the quality.

I just dont know the exact terms to search with.

Also, It would be nice to know what racing organizations have alot of racing of these boats. I dont really want to race, but I could get alot of info from things such as the Rules and Guidelines.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:52 AM
lohring

The national racing organizations in your area are NAMBA and IMPBA. A close boat club is the Voodoo Model Boat Club. Check them out. The main forum for the boats you are interested in is Jim's RC Boat Dock. The best engines to start with are Zenoahs and their clones. Modified versions easily power 46" monos to 60 mph. Look at the NAMBA web site under the Nationals results for an idea of what the best racers are running.

Lohring Miller
Old 01-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Paul M

Yea, what Lohring said

I'll PM you some people that I deal with and have had consistently good results.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:57 PM
rcguy1411

RCMK and ZENOAH are the two main engine s used in the sport you will have people swear by one or the other (ford vs chev) as far as hulls there are many good builders ouy there if you wan t a more sacle look check out centrail hobbies rc also expresscraft have some nice hulls and are all carbon fiber there are many more out there JRCBD is a great place for information be warned they are more into racing than sport boats and be prepaired to have a bit of a thick skin lol im more og a scale guy so the full on racing hulls leave somthing to be desired i have an ilder expresscraft mti very nice looking hull imo and centrail hobbies rc has a very well built fountian at 58" that would fit what you want i think good looks and preforms well 50-60 mph drpending on engine and setup
Old 01-26-2013, 03:08 PM
MrMikeG

Get in touch with Carlo from CCRacing, he is a member of Voodoo and a great guy for advice, parts, hulls, service and builds a pretty good engine! His "network" of friends expands all over the globe and I'm sure he will know someone in your area.

Best advice is get a good quality hull that has a winning record. Plenty of nice looking hulls out there that won't stand up to wave jumping. Ask the manufacturer what kind of warranty they offer for things like gel coat bubbles, seams splitting or spider cracks.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:48 AM
dragonbat13

I haved looked at a few websites. So far I have an interest in some of the Expresscraft boats and also the Rico Offshore Classic. Especially the Offshore Classic. How do these companies' boats hold up over time?

Honeslty, I dont know just what choppy waters mean to these boats. I know that down here, there are tons of wide canals. Entire flats of open water. Lots of shallow water areas. And in the summer when it gets hot, the waters seem as smooth as glass. Sweltering, no wind at all type stuff.

If this makes any sense, what wave height in inches does things start to get "rough". I understand if this is a totally crazy question, but I figured I would ask.

Also, I have never seen these boats run and cant stream video while at work offshore. I will have to wait till I get home to look up some videos, which will give me a much better idea.

THANKS for all the help so far. It was exactly what I was looking for!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:29 AM
Dana W

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Mark , Here's a video of a DaVette SS running http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/DaVet...3ADaVette%20SS

Dana
Old 01-27-2013, 09:10 AM
lohring

These boats all run best on smooth water. This is a good example of national level racing. There's no substitute for seeing the boats run and talking to the racers in person. Go to a club event in your area.

Lohring Miller

PS. Carlo is a great guy. Talk to him.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:44 AM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second the talking to Carlo at CC RAcing he is one of the best. 

A good source of info for play boaters is MGB Model Gas Boats

I belong to both Jims and MGB  MGB has tons of builds and tests

Also agree with Paul - don't be telling people what you want to spend

MGB   http://www.modelgasboats.com/magazine-content/boats/

Welcome to the Addiction

Randy