Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Inlet lip or full ducting, which is bext?

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Inlet lip or full ducting, which is bext?

Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 AM
TommyWatson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inlet lip or full ducting, which is bext?

I have a Hobbyking BAE hawk. It comes with very nice full ducting. The fan I purchased has an inlet lip. I have always thought that you should use the inlet lip on any fan.
Which would be best, to use the full ducting and do away with the inlet lip, or use the inlet lip and stop the ducting short of the fan. If I were to stop the ducting short of the inlet lip, how far short? See photos.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70986.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1843562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96040.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1843563  
Old 01-23-2013, 02:18 PM
juanjulian
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Inlet lip or full ducting, which is bext?

Since you have a full ducting work use the ducting instead of the lip.

Lip is usefull for a exposed edf configuration, where not able to put ducts and making test.

Your inlets in the jet and forward ducting is suposed to do the work of the lip.

Cheers

Juan
Old 01-26-2013, 07:33 PM
ACES&8s

Definately use the full duct!...I read about the lip on the intakes on a jet, where it's marked "danger jet intake" it has to be smoothly rounded, with not a sharp edge. The input edge of the fan needs to be sealed, as well as the output edge, to the thrust tube. Jepe jets (J.P. Shlosser) says it's even advantageous to smooth the inside of the duct, if its pebbly. I hope the inside of yuor ducting is smooth. My HET models have the fiberweave surface that's a little rough...not so good.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:13 AM
TommyWatson
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks Guys,
I have decided to use the full ducting. The inside of the inlet and exhaust ducts are very smooth in fact they are shiney. Also I will probably try to blend the edges of the fan shroud as Much as I can. When I was using BVM Glow fans, BVM was very much into smoothing the edges of the fan shroud so you get a smooth transition from the duct to the fan. Same on the exhaust side.

Thanks for all replys.

Regards