Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Photos of Carl Golberg and original Falcon 56

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Photos of Carl Golberg and original Falcon 56

Old 01-01-2008, 07:11 PM
rc doc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Photos of Carl Golberg and original Falcon 56

My first RC plane was a Falcon 56; with an OS 19rc and 4channel reeds. The transmitter and receiver were built from kits by another modeler. The first flight was a 12 foot loop. Luckily there was 2 feet of snow onthe ground and the only damage was to the nose gear. That was in 1963.With the help of other modelers I was able to get it trimed and flew it for a year until I hit a hay wagon with it after I moved to Arkansas.
I built 3 or 4 others in the following years and travels. I have a wing in my garage with ailerons that I will build a fuse for one of these days.
John Smith.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:23 AM
old git

The Mk1 did not have the swept back fin & rudder of the Mk 111.

old git - - - - aka John L.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:55 AM
crigotti
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: rcacro

While searching my files for the prints of the Super Skylark, I came across these photos taken during the test phase of the original Falcon 56. If my memory is correct, these pictures were taken in a Park located in Maywood, Il. This was the original Falcon 56 without the ailerons.
I am the one starting the engine and was the test pilot on most of the test flights. We did convince Carl to fly the test model during one of the early flights as I stood close behind him ready to grab the transmitter. No buddy box arrangements in those days.
Photos were taken by Joe Vermock who was a commercial photographer and a very skilled modeler who was the person who taught me me how to build light models.
BTW the park land was previously used as one of the first airports for Airmail service in the country.

John W.
Scottsdale, Az
John,
Thanks for sharing the photos and information. I noticed that the balck stripe on the verical fin is different between pictures. I'm guessing that the thinner stripe in the second picture looked better and that was what was placed on the box top.

Thanks again.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:45 AM
crigotti
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: crigotti

While searching my files for the prints of the Super Skylark, I came across these photos taken during the test phase of the original Falcon 56. If my memory is correct, these pictures were taken in a Park located in Maywood, Il. This was the original Falcon 56 without the ailerons.
I am the one starting the engine and was the test pilot on most of the test flights. We did convince Carl to fly the test model during one of the early flights as I stood close behind him ready to grab the transmitter. No buddy box arrangements in those days.
Photos were taken by Joe Vermock who was a commercial photographer and a very skilled modeler who was the person who taught me me how to build light models.
BTW the park land was previously used as one of the first airports for Airmail service in the country.

John W.
Scottsdale, Az
John,
Thanks for sharing the photos and information. I noticed that the balck stripe on the verical fin is different between pictures. I'm guessing that the thinner stripe in the second picture looked better and that was what was placed on the box top.

Thanks again.
Now that I look closely at the two pictures, I think they are different models. Not only is the fin stripe different, but there is a fuel tube sticking out the top on the second photo. Also it looks like later in the year on the second photo because everybody is wearing jackets.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:55 PM
WEDJ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a photo of my college roommate in 1971, with his first r/c plane, Falcon 56. Since then, he has learned to fly "real" planes, and commutes between IN and FL, work and play. Way to go, Dick G.!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70013.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	1729293  
Old 08-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Batista_monster

Hello my friend, my name is Jonathan from Dominican Republic i´m seeking parts for my falcon 56 i´ve looking for them but i can´t find anything, can you please help me about it? or if you have some of them let me know to see if you can sell me something. Many thanks in advance i hope to hear aboout you soon. If there is anybody else that knows about it please i need help, my e-mail is [email protected] Many thanks.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:07 AM
H5487

ORIGINAL: Batista_monster

Hello my friend, my name is Jonathan from Dominican Republic i´m seeking parts for my falcon 56 i´ve looking for them but i can´t find anything, can you please help me about it? or if you have some of them let me know to see if you can sell me something. Many thanks in advance i hope to hear aboout you soon. If there is anybody else that knows about it please i need help, my e-mail is [email protected] Many thanks.
Jonathan,
What parts are you looking for?
Old 08-18-2012, 04:21 AM
Stevemyers

WoW!
Thanks for sharing! I learned on a Falcon 56! Still have it, and still run it. I believe that was 1991!
Steve
Old 08-18-2012, 05:27 AM
Batista_monster

For the moment i need the wings, but i'm sure that later on i'll need more.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:52 AM
H5487

B-Monster,

As you probably already know, the Falcon 56 kit has been discontinued for many years now. Also, the entire Carl Goldberg line was purchased by Great Planes (a.k.a. Tower Hobbies) a couple of years ago. I don't know if Great Planes is considering resurrecting the Falcon (it wasn't a big seller during the last years it was available) but it looks like SOME support for the Falcon might still be available from GP: http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/...ga0050.html#01

Since the wing is a major component of the kit, and you mentioned that you'll likely need additional parts in the future, it might be to your benefit to look for a complete kit on RCU or eBay; they show up occasionally. Of course, you might also consider scratchbuilding your wing from the kit plans.

Good Luck!
Old 08-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Batista_monster

Well, first of all, many tanks for your help i've tryed to get them from great planes but they reffer me to rcuniverse. However i'll try to get them from te webpage you gave me. i've tryed to get something from ebay but they just got theplans i'll see if i can get them. At the momentmi mechanic just repair the plain i'll used carefully.I'll sendpictures soon.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:11 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Carl Goldberg kits that people continue to purchase are still in production. Please remember that if enough modelers don't buy an item, it cannot be kept in production, no matter how much you like them.

That being said, here's the latest version of the Falcon series of airplanes:

http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/.../gpma1940.html

These parts can be ordered through any hobby retailer who sells Great Planes kits and accessories.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:44 AM
Batista_monster

Dear Mr. Baxter as i can see the only thing that i have to do is just change planes in case i crash this one again, because if i can't get parts ofit orif something very bad happens i'll have to buy another one. For the moment i'll continue looking for parts but i'm already doing someresearch about theeagle 2 if i don't have more choices. But please if you hear about some one that wants to sell parts or the plane by it self you have a buyer here. Many thanks for taking the time to amswer anyway, i hope you can get me some parts later on by hibbico or any other shop. Kinds regards////

Old 08-24-2012, 10:53 AM
pd1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried this place?

http://www.earlyrcmodels.com/

This person did a fantastic job on a Falcon 56. The plans are also posted there.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1601652
Old 08-27-2012, 06:02 AM
Batista_monster

Hey my bro many thanks for that websiteisent an e-mail to them, asking for moreinfo because they don't say exactly what includes thekits. Let see what they say.Man i really apreciatte that many many thanks. I promisse that i'll let you know what i did. And sorry for my spelling i don't speak english very well i hope you can understand.

Contact you soon. Thanks again.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:13 AM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

Many thanks for sharing the memories John. Having grown up in the far south suburbs of Chicagoin the sixties/seventies, it's a pleasure to see/read again all the great things Carl, Eddie K., and others like yourself,brought outso we could enjoy it for decades to come.My brother and I have been snatching up the oldies when we can and the shelves are filling up with the "soon to be built" kits. Thanks again, and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Mark K.
AMA 63845
SPA L384
NSRCA 4408
N641RM (RV-6)
Old 12-26-2012, 08:05 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bax Carl Goldberg kits that people continue to purchase are still in production. Please remember that if enough modelers don't buy an item, it cannot be kept in production, no matter how much you like them. That being said, here's the latest version of the Falcon series of airplanes: http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/.../gpma1940.html

These parts can be ordered through any hobby retailer who sells Great Planes kits and accessories.
Bax, that version of Falcon is an interesting one, patterned after the Junior Falcon, even has the same wingspan, one of which I built in 1973 as single channel with Ace Pulse Commander and Adams standard actuator and Golden Bee engine.

As a manufacturer's incentive is profit, it makes no sense to produce products that aren't selling well unless they are a necessary part to support another product that is selling.

I've also noticed that Great Planes has a product similar to the Falcon, kit discontinued but ARF still produced, [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDTM8&P=7]Great Planes Easy Sport 40 ARF[/link]

I gather that as electric ARF's have gotten more sophisticated and with the advent of RC simulators to provide great familiarity with flight characteristics, people move up more readily to advanced aircraft than before. The resurgence of smaller aircraft don't rekit themselves as readily as the larger planes did when they hit the terra firma. So I guess that these type intermediate trainers are slowly becoming a thing of the past, no?
Old 01-20-2013, 02:14 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have built and flown many versions and sizes of Goldberg's Falcon/Skylark series. My first "multi" was the Senior Falcon powered by an OS .58 R/C engine and guided by a Micro Avionics XL-IC 4-channel rig on 27.195 MHz. That was long before the CB craze made those frequencies unreliable in the late seventies.

I currently have a Falcon Junior kit - that's it. No Senior, 56 or Skylark deviants. They were fun to build and they flew great.

Ed Cregger
Old 01-20-2013, 05:10 AM
H5487

It's interesting how responses continue to pop up every once in awhile keeping this old thread alive. It reminds me of the history of this once-popular airplane in that even though its best days are behind it, it simply refuses to fade completely away.

Your recollections about the early years of Carl Coldberg and proportional R/C make enjoyable reading. Please keep 'em coming!

Harvey
Old 01-20-2013, 06:47 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

I've got a Falcon III kit that I bought several years ago, am planning to build. I may paint this in the original Falcon color scheme and replace the rudder with the original Falcon 56 rudder; replace the wing hold down system with dowels and rubber banding like the original. After that, I think not many would be able to tell that this is the latest Falcon.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:58 AM
H5487

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler
After that, I think not many would be able to tell that this is the latest Falcon.
We won't tell.

For a small fee.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Batista_monster

Dear friend, at this moment i allready solve the problem but it was a wing that mi instructor drestoy in an accident. The accident was whit the elevator, it was broken on flight, you can imagine the katastrofe, the plain hit a wall whit the wing. it was ugly. but now its ok. i don´t have a picture whit me now but i´ll send you pictures later on. However what parts you have available, because you never know. please let me know.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:37 AM
Batista_monster

AS soon as you get this reply, let me know.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:20 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If anyone is interested I’m building a Skylark using a kit for templates over here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11338457/tm.htm
Old 01-27-2013, 08:08 AM
Paul_BB

SGibson wrote
"What year were the photographs taken? Do you remember which radio was used for the first flights? I looks like an old reed system"
Iam not sure of the exact year. Maybe about 1960.
The transmitter Carl is holding is a MIN-X reed system. You can see acorn nut covers on the top that covered the POts that were used to adjust the tone frequencies. We also used a CG reed system in some of the protypes.

Creggar wrote
"In the far right photo, is that a Don Brown Quadraplex transmitter you are using?"
No see comment above. Never did see any Don Brown Quadraplex used in the Chicago area. We went from using reed systems right to proportional. F&M in my case.

Strat2003 wrote
"A couple of side questions.....did Carl actually design the airplane, or just set up some parameters and approve the final result?
Was Carl a physically small guy? He seems to be in lots of the photos I've seen."

No. Carl did not design the airplane. It was lot of my ideas on what a RC airplane should be in that time frame. I had designed and built several shouder wing airplanes before the Falcon. I must credit Dale Root and his Ascender design for the basic layout that I adopted for use in my designs. I was also an accomplised RC flyer and had a basic understanding of electronics.
However, Carl always made me justify my ideas and asked a lot questions about our recommendations. Joe Vermock and some others also contributed to the design effort.
Carl was short in statture but big in mind and a real gentleman. I am sure I learned more from than he did from me. Carl's other expertise was in the area of kit manufacturing and general business.
-
Boberos wrote
Interesting that you mentioned Joe Vermoch.
"Joe designed the 1/2 A ''Jodel'' for Midwest Products who kitted it for a while.
Before that he did a larger Jodel. Do know of any plans available for the larger Jodel? "

Your right about Joe and the Jodel. I still have the 1/2 a sized Jodel I built in collegehanging in my shop.
Attached are pics of the larger Jodel. It flew so well I placed in both scale and pattern in the same contest with the one airplane. I will PM you about some plans I know of.

Thanks to everyone for your interest in this posting. It brings back a lot of memories for me.

John Wisniewski
Hi John,

Thank you for all these explanations. My first rc plane wasthe skylane 42 back in 1976 andtoday the plane I love to fly most is my Super Chipmunk.

On the same note, I was wondering who actually designed the Super Chipmunk, one of the best ever low wing sport plane ?

Regards.

-Paul