Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 05:58 AM
retransit
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Look at it this way, guys. You get more building time than us.

Bob
Old 01-26-2013, 07:32 AM
SuperKay
My Feedback: (1)

Ok, ok, if it helps to get to 800, sign me up. Getting back into the hobby after 15 year hiatus. The only engines
I kept are 2x .65s and now one .56 GK. So much has changed, ie; Li-Po everywhere, was good to know thar Saito still rules.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:50 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was a typo, Bob (Bon). I'm typing hunt & peck on an iPad sometimes, and I miss the typing mistakes. You can't touch type with tablets which is the only thing I don't like about them.

799 Quikturn
800 retransit
801 SuperKay

Only 198 more members to go before we get 1000. Who would have thunk it a few years back???
Old 01-26-2013, 09:58 AM
blw

Here is one that was overlooked:

802 Homer712
Old 01-26-2013, 01:24 PM
jw0847

ORIGINAL: blw

I know that I've been behind in catching up with the Saito Club member numbers. Let me know if I forgot somebody.

792 JohnB96041
793 tarcure
794 jazzboy
795 108buzz
796 cperri
797 soliex
798 oldfartpilot

We are almost at 800 members. If you own a Saito and don't have a member number, let me know. I also take bribes, so send me any engines you care to box up.

Sign me up to the Saito Club - I have 2 Saito 100's in a couple low wing 60 size - one is a GP Escapade 61 the other a clone. I like the Saito because it just works and starts every time - no need to fool with it every time I go to the field.

Thanks - John
Old 01-26-2013, 04:26 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart for your edification  snow is a version of rain and it comes out of the sky in little white flakes.  It is not necessarily "cold".  I have hunted in the high country on snow covered country in shorts and a shirt (woolen socks inside very good boots) under very blue skies.  I have also frozen in -5 degree temps in Canada after leaving Port Moresby in early December.  Give me rain, cyclones and the tropics over all that other stuff.  Though miond you I would not like being in Brisbane today
Old 01-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Rudolph Hart

Hi mate I liked cougars answer too

Don't know if you remember but i crashed my deccy with saito82 a while back and am about to drag another one out of the box and re fit one of my 82's to it.My question is,is there anyone else out there flying an 82 in a pheonix decathlon??..loads of horsepower and with the cg well back you can really flick them around,vertical flat descents and vertical sideslips etc..anybody?? failing that whats your favourite model that has an 82 in it??cheers all.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:32 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not yet, but I will be putting my 82 in one of my favorite planes, a Great Planes U Can Do 46. It is already excellent, I just want a bit more vertical.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:02 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart, I have a Sig Senior thingy that I will be testing / running in a 62 and and 82 after the wet. I am also building a wing for it with ailerons and flaps, and hopefully with the 115 I have to run in it will also double up as a glider tug. We used to have one of these with a 120 twin plug in it for glider launch in Malaysia. Had a cradle on the top to carru 100inch gliders. Good stuff.
Will let you know how it goes. Currently I am completing a ST 40 powered chines rip off of a Kyushu model, a sports thing for me to get my thumbs back to go racing (circuit type) with a 50cc powered LTS scale racer from the 30's. Another chinese rip off, cheap and expendable.
Catch ya
Old 01-26-2013, 07:09 PM
oldfartpilot
My Feedback: (118)

In response to Old Fart, I use 5%-10% fuel in my Saitos and I see that I've been assigned number 798, so I don't have to choose my number using the SWAG method! 
Old 01-26-2013, 07:31 PM
retransit

blw, no need to explain. I am a victim of hunting and pecking too.

Bob
Old 01-27-2013, 05:53 AM
Cougar429

Woo Hoo! Picked up a couple more Saito candidates yesterday morning in the form of a pair of Royal/Marutaka kits. First is the A6M5 Zero and the second the FW-190. Already have a smaller Mits on the build board now, but the "Butcher Bird" was another of my faves.

Don't get me wrong, I also picked up a Top Flite Gold Spit kit for a friend the same time and if I had a kidney to spare there was a 80" Mossie. Although I weep at the sound of a well running Merlin going past, (a friend used to fly actor Cliff Robertsons locally here), I just love the shape of round cowls and their promise of noise, belching flames and smoke. In scale it also allows a bit wider range for mounting a nice Saito.

Here's the purpose of all this. Both Royal kits are the 60-80 2-strokers but do not list "expected" AUW. I'll be looking at least at retracts and possible flaps and based on size and structure estimate 8-10 lbs. Was wondering if an 82 would be enough punch or if I have to dig the spare 100 out for what finds its way onto the build board first. Toledo is coming up soon and want to know what to keep a look out for.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:19 AM
Rudolph Hart

ORIGINAL: retransit

blw, no need to explain. I am a victim of hunting and pecking too.

Bob
You are undeniably not sir,else you would'nt be here
Old 01-27-2013, 09:03 AM
harttvboy04
My Feedback: (32)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi guys!

I just picked up a saito fa-100 on the groups. I had a saito 180 that really needed a lean low end, and even then it vibrated like hell. I have read reports elsewhere that the fa-100 also vibrates. Has anyone found a cure for this, or are there certain conditions that exist that cause the vibrations that can be minimized? 

Thanks all!

Best, 

Chris
Old 01-27-2013, 10:41 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: harttvboy04

Hi guys!

I just picked up a saito fa-100 on the groups. I had a saito 180 that really needed a lean low end, and even then it vibrated like hell. I have read reports elsewhere that the fa-100 also vibrates. Has anyone found a cure for this, or are there certain conditions that exist that cause the vibrations that can be minimized?

Thanks all!

Best,

Chris

Mount your engine mount to the firewall W/rubber "well nuts". Just drill out the blindnut holes to fit the well nuts for a snug fit & slip them in the holes. They will expand as they are tightened.

You can get them @ any well stocked hardware store for less than $.50 each. Tighten them until you have the amount of elasticity you want, then use nylocks on the back side.

I no long use blind nuts. Well nuts are secure & long lasting. They significantly reduce wear & tear on the airframe as well as electronics. They can be purchased for all the common (English) thread sizes.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:49 AM
stevegauth30

hi all. I would like to join club saito. I recently bought my first saito and i have to say, I absolutely love it. Its just barely broken in yet, but is by far the best running and most reliable engine i own. I plan to trade in all of my os's for saitos. Its only a 40 FS, on a 1/6 cub, but its awesome. Im sold. I cant say enough good about it. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:03 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: Cougar429

Snow is the result of poor planning and genetics. If things had gone right we'd all live in a location with perfect flying weather, lots of money and time to spend on this hobby and good friends to share it with.

Well, I guess one out of three is all I can expect...........................

It's been the coldest in quite a few years here, (mind you, preheating a heli in the bush at 55 below is about the worst I've experienced and getting definitely too old to put up with it now) but as for snow this has not been a real problem yet this year. In fact, haven't mounted the skis on anything.

Actually I have found that cold/snow is a factor in evolving a more robust/intelligent race of human kind. The slow of wit are soon weeded out in brutal winter conditions.

The more balmy climates tend to allow those same slow witted types to abound.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:36 PM
retransit

"The more balmy climates tend to allow those same slow witted types to abound."

I was wondering why everything seems less complicated down here in Florida than when I lived in New York City. Wow, who knew?

Bob
Old 01-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Cougar429

"The more balmy climates tend to allow those same slow witted types to abound."
It also tends to account for a lot of Youtube vids
Old 01-27-2013, 10:11 PM
FNQFLYER

I have a Maratuka Stuka, Staggerwing and Reliant and after much research and manipulating I have determined that at least a 100 is required for those models. In fact I conned a 115 out of my old mate for the Reliant and I figure that the absolute minimum required for the Staggerwing is a 91 but that would depend on the amount of sanding and general weight reduction I was prepared to carry out. The Reliant now has everything ready to start the build except the final documentation (it will be a competition model) and of course the covering. I am looking for any data on the Pepsi Cola company SR 7.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:45 PM
Rudolph Hart

What sort of prop are you going to run on the 115,scale speeds??
Old 01-28-2013, 07:35 AM
harttvboy04

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: harttvboy04

Hi guys!
Thanks all!
Best,
Chris

Mount your engine mount to the firewall W/rubber "well nuts". Just drill out the blindnut holes to fit the well nuts for a snug fit & slip them in the holes. They will expand as they are tightened.

You can get them @ any well stocked hardware store for less than $.50 each. Tighten them until you have the amount of elasticity you want, then use nylocks on the back side.

I no long use blind nuts. Well nuts are secure & long lasting. They significantly reduce wear & tear on the airframe as well as electronics. They can be purchased for all the common (English) thread sizes.
Thanks!

This is relly good info - I'll employ the use of these!

Best,

Chris

Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Chris, there is a big problem with fourstrokes and soft mounts, they allow fourstrokes to shake more. I have tried soft mounts several times including on this very smooth running FA .40. And as a former contributor here used to say, "it shook like a dog passing a peach pit." The shaking is not vibration but tortional impulses caused by a light engine and strong power pulses. The best cure is the most solid mount you can come up with. The 1.00 is only a shaker when the LS needle is too rich.

Sorry, the picture loader is broken again.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:52 AM
harttvboy04

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Chris, there is a big problem with fourstrokes and soft mounts, they allow fourstrokes to shake more. I have tried soft mounts several times including on this very smooth running FA .40. And as a former contributor here used to say, "it shook like a dog passing a peach pit." The shaking is not vibration but tortional impulses caused by a light engine and strong power pulses. The best cure is the most solid mount you can come up with. The 1.00 is only a shaker when the LS needle is too rich.

Sorry, the picture loader is broken again.
Hobbsy,

I appreciate your taking the time to reply. I was just about to go to the hardware store. I remember with the 1.80 that if I leaned 'the hell' out of my LSN, it would minimize the massive vibrations and allow me to fly the arplane without fear of losing parts in the air.

Is there a certain type of fuel (low nitro, high nitro, etc) that will make a difference? I am putting my 100 in a Twist .60 and do not foresee a lack of power, so I am willing to lose a few RPM for a smoother operation. I currently run Omega 10% on other glow motors I use - would this help in minizing vibes?

Chris

Old 01-28-2013, 08:32 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Chris, many on here advocate using 20-30% nitro fuel, I am not one of them. Saitos will run perfectly well on 0% fuel, I use 10% for the most part. While running higher nitro will broaden the needle setting as claimed, it also increases the fuel consumption and even with the slightly narrower needle setting the sweet spot is easy to find on the lower nitro fuel. Many European guys run 0% nitro fuel in Saitos day in and day out with no problems. One other thing to keep in mind, it pays big dividends to set the LS needle as lean as possible, it controls the fuel mixture for about 85% of the throttle range and has a huge effect on the fuel economy or the lack of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.