Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

BALSA USA 1/3 SOPWITH PUP?????

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

BALSA USA 1/3 SOPWITH PUP?????

Old 01-06-2013, 10:01 PM
rotorboy2.4gh
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BALSA USA 1/3 SOPWITH PUP?????

ORIGINAL: foodstick

To balance mine I drilled holes in the plywood side ribs of the wing center section (on the cg), I reinforced them for strength inside the wing,before covering ( obviously). Then I bent two ninety degree wire hooks. When ready to balance the plane I slide the wires into the holes in the ribs, put the rest of the plane together, the spacers on the top wing leave a gap when assembled. All we had to do was pick it up by the two wires, or hang it an inch or two off of the ground with a couple cords. worked really well on this airplane.
FoodstickGreat to see ya back!!! that is Genius on the CG trick.Frank.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:36 AM
crashwilson

Foodstick, thanks,that a great idea. Can you get the C/G before you cover the plane?My Robinhood 99" is already covered so I guess I' ll have to try rotorboy's idea.Again I'am so glad to have found such a knowledgable group of guys. I have learned so much from your post's.I have been flying mostly electric(A1-Skyraider from Nitroplanes, Large P-51 B-25 bomber and a few more) but now I really enjoy building. I don't know what I'LL build next. Guess I'LL have to see what cathes my eye. I do know I am running out of room in my garage!!!!Might have to build a big Poll Barn next.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:00 PM
valleyk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want this engine. I want to fly at this field. Oh wake up it was just a dream.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5s2P2T8Dbk

Old 01-12-2013, 08:08 PM
abufletcher

What a launch! It went off like a sling-shot! I remember reading about this engine in Flying Scale Models. But what's up with putting in a $1000+ engine but not bothering with a $5 pilot bust!
Old 01-13-2013, 04:32 AM
Eindecker_pilot

ORIGINAL: R/C Art

I didn't put capstrips on mine. I also did actual rib stitching and it came out looking pretty nice.

I can't remember if I had to cut the tangs to lenght or not. Make sure you have all 8 pieces of metal that incorporate the strut attatchments before you go cutting any metal. If you are not sure, give Balsa USA a call - they are great people to deal with and are modelers themselves.

I didn't change too much from the kit for my build. Servos in the wings instead of belcranks......brace wires on the tail instead of the 1/8'' wooden dowels that the kit calls for......there were a couple more, but can't think of them right now. One thing I do know is that the landing and flying wires provided are more than adequate for the job. I haven't seen or heard of one breaking yet.

Mine is the green one and Greg's (Eindecker pilot) is the other one.

I don't seem to have a good picture of the rib stitching.

I like that photo Art! I didn't remember you having the skull & crossbones on your wheel covers, very cool! For the record, you need to get another Pup.

-Greg
Old 01-13-2013, 04:42 AM
Eindecker_pilot

ORIGINAL: rotorboy2.4gh

ORIGINAL: valleyk

I chose to completely modify the elevator and rudder on mine. Found some authentic pictures and made an attempt to copy.
Valleyk-Simply stunning!!CRASHRudder and stab doesnt need caps because of the size of the wood that is used.Also crash,ca on the udercamber will work,as i have done that before-but,if you get some damage where you need to do some recovering,-that can get a little rough with ca. They both work,but i just choose the caps because it just cleans everything up so well. As far as what side of the ribs the struts are onI would think as long as the upper and bottom are on the same side it will be all good.-EINDECKERYou are my hero on that gunWOW!! That is way cool!!==Frank. R/CART the two pics above with the two pups together,Brilliant specimens.
Thanks for the compliment on the gun setup. Credit for this invention goes to the fellow on here who goes by the name Horsepower Aviation. If I ever build a 1/3 scale airplane again, I'm going to do another gun, it just works too well & sounds too cool. We did scratch our heads for a while on how to mount the CO2 tank. I was going to use a standard paintball tank bracket but that would have left the mass fo the tank cantilevered inside the fuselage & with the engine vibration that spelled r-i-s-k! One of our flying buddies suggested cutting two holes on the fulseage sidewalls behind the firewall & just slipping it in transverse behind the firewall... that got the mass forward of the CG, supported the tank fully to mitigate vibration & made use of existing scale hatches. Brilliant!

-Greg
Old 01-13-2013, 09:24 AM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: valleyk

I want this engine. I want to fly at this field. Oh wake up it was just a dream. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5s2P2T8Dbk

DITTO!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:27 AM
R/C Art

ORIGINAL: Eindecker_pilot

I like that photo Art! I didn't remember you having the skull & crossbones on your wheel covers, very cool! For the record, you need to get another Pup.

-Greg
Yes, I have to agree - I miss flying my pup[]
Old 01-19-2013, 05:47 PM
crashwilson

anybody have the Zenoah G-62 in their sopwith pup? I did a dry fit of the new motor in the cowl, I also bought the 1/3 scale dummy radial from Nick Ziroli and it really looks good.My questio is!the motor fits in the cowl real nise except the muffler does not pertrude the cowling,do I just extend them out or should I cut a section out? And then is that enough air going thru those cut outs around the radial?And how hard is it to mount the dummy radial?Not quiet there yet , but I am finishing the last upper wing now.Thanks for the help
Old 01-19-2013, 08:14 PM
Eindecker_pilot

I can't comment on the g62, but the mufflers on my gt80 don't protrude past the cowl either and it hasn't been an issue. Just make sure you seal the wood structure with epoxy or urethane.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:04 PM
valleyk

I'm mounting my engine right now a da 100 on my  pup. I have just the opposite problem with the mufflers. The pipes extend thru the cowl making the plane look like a walrus. I guess I could cut them down.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:30 PM
mothy1946

I've got a Zenoah GT 80 in mine as well and I extended the exhaust stacks with silicone exhaust tubing so the the exhausts do extend out of the cowl just a bit to get fumes and oily exhaust residue outside of the engine bay.

Works well and keeps model underside a bit cleaner as well.

Tim
Old 01-20-2013, 05:10 PM
crashwilson

Whats the best glue to glue the 1/8 ply to my dummy radial.Would a 15 min epoxy be all right?And were do Ifind the exhaust silicone tubing? I think I to would lkie to vent them out of the cowl.And what does the silicone tubing do to the sound of the engine?
Old 01-20-2013, 06:28 PM
mothy1946

I would think epoxy would be fine but roughen up the mating plastic surfaces a bit with some fine emery paper so that the epoxy has somthing to bite on and you also will be removing any mould release waxes as well.

Regarding the silicone extension, there is little if any change to the exhaust note and certainly no loss of preformance.

I used a 19mm Internal diameter if I remenber correctly which is a tight fit on the Zenoah stacks and then just in case put a cable tie around as well. I found it in a local hobby shop and I may be mistaken but I think it was a Sullivan product but I can't find it in their website now. If you google it though there are many suppliers and even on ebay.

Tim
Old 01-20-2013, 08:29 PM
crashwilson

Tim, thanks for the reply,I'am going to try and have this cowl painted the same color red of my new Tarus,(and since my son-in-law backed into me Christmas eve, He is paying to have my car and cowl painted).So I want to get any holes that I have to put in the cowl drilled in there now. So thanks,you'll be hearing from me again I'am sure .Rich

Old 01-27-2013, 12:23 AM
tc-62

Say Ed ,I live a couple blocks away from Balsa USA ,and was a freind to the late Ron Bush. He would have been concernde with your issues, as would the people there now days. I'll bet they would be glad to have your input as your plane looks gorgeious. (Is that really cool to saygorgeious is that the right spelling ,I ment fabulousno no I mean FMC
Old 01-27-2013, 09:03 AM
crashwilson

Can anyone tell me were I can find the seat and instrument panel for the 1/3 scale Sopwith Pup?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:48 AM
redball8
My Feedback: (128)

Mick Reeves has them - http://www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk/~m...es/p2bipe.html
Old 02-08-2013, 08:41 PM
crashwilson

Well I finally finished the upper wings. One thing concerns me tho, The wings seem to drope at the ends. Will the strenten out when the outboard struts are on?I have them up on a stand and put them together to see how big this thing is.I'am working now on the final build part and that is the fuslodge.Lot of work left tho.It is the 1/3 scale Sopwith Pup I am in the process of building at this time. Thanks Rich,
Old 02-08-2013, 10:08 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

the flying wires hold everything up...
Old 02-17-2013, 09:52 AM
crashwilson

Crash is back for more advice! Couple of questions for you guys that have or presintly building a Sopwith pup 1/3 scale.In the book it tells you to choose a motor mount. print shows the Quarter Headquarters. I'am going to put the Zenoah G-62 on the plane.My question would be, BHD1. If I glue this bhd in now, how do you get at your motor mount bolts? Also how do the forward and aft landing gear mounts fit in. Do they go on the inside of the longerons and the 1/8 ply hanging over the bottom?
Old 02-17-2013, 12:13 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am not sure about part number BHD1, but mine was partially built when I got it.. it has an inner and outer firewall with some blocks between it.. I hope that makes sense. Looking back I wish I had laminated a 1/4 inch ply full firewall on, I needed the weight anyhow. My mount bolts go thru the inner and outer firewall, and the bolts are accessible inside the tank/radio area. You go in the removable hatch underneath.

As to the landing gear wire I had to rebuild mine from scratch but I think you can make the wire extend thru the ply sides, or be tucked underneath, thats kind of up to you unless the wire is to wide at the top? My gear is held into routed grooves in landing gear blocks in the bottom with gear straps and screws.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:26 PM
R/C Art

This how I did mine - slightly modified. I used only a single firewall, 1/2" thick (I think)........

Look at the pictures and see if that helps any........I think the sides and landing gear was pretty much like the plans called for......I put a hatch on the bottom between the landing gear blocks.

I also put a hatch under the cockpit area - that's where I had my servos mounted for the rudder and elevators.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94968.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1853166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99170.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1853167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54690.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1853168  
Old 02-19-2013, 04:51 PM
crashwilson

R/C art , Thanks for t he great pic's.They helped out alot.I see your landing gear mounts are in line with your longerons.Did you cut the longerons to fit the mount? I just laid mine on top of the longerons,they stick out 1/8 inch but not bad. I hope they will be all right like that! I also see you have not used the BHD#1,And one other question,I'am using the Zenoah G-62 for a motor. The print shows 2 degrees down and 2 degrees right I think. Is this needed?Would you have any pic's of the upper center wing mount to fuslodge?????
Old 02-19-2013, 05:05 PM
R/C Art

Yes, down and right thrust are almost always needed.

I went though my pictures and couldn't find any of the center section to fuselage structure.

There are so many ways to do things......some are better than others and some are just personal preference, but most all of them will work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.