Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a trainer type. Not your usual request.

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Suggestions for a trainer type. Not your usual request.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:26 AM
freeonthree
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Suggestions for a trainer type. Not your usual request.

Oh come on... I can fly my Cub, or any Cub, or any plane i've ever flown, and never use the rudder in the air. Dennis
Old 01-27-2013, 10:42 AM
GaryHarris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do electric to.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:45 AM
freeonthree

Thats looks real nice. I love biplanes ! Real airplanes have two wings and round engines. Dennis

PS: We have the same flooring in our dining room. I put it in a couple of years ago. Unless that is real wood im looking at, ours isn't, and it went down super easy in a few hours. Nice stuff.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:24 PM
JH313

Look at the Great Planes Escapade. Goes together in a few hours, tops. I went up to that right after my trainer and had so much fun with it. I put a Magnum 70 in it, although a 52 could work also.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:34 PM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: freeonthree

Why would you want to mess with nitro fuel ? Get one of those new 10 or 15cc gas engines. Then your fuel will cost 5 bucks a gallon instead of 20. Also, spark plugs don't burn out like glow plugs, and you won't need a glow starter. I flew nitro for years, YUK !
Granted, 4 strokes put alot less oil on your plane to wipe off, but gas doesn't leave any residue to speak of, sweeeeeeet ! Dennis
Too dangerous for where I live. I have a small apartment with no outside storage possible unless I rent a storage space. Gas is not an option right now.

Jeffin TD. I was eyeballing the Rascal and did a search for it here and didn't come up with much. Ill try You Tube.

Thanks guys.
The Rascal has been around as a kit for many years, and more recently as an ARF.

I have the 110" version powered by 30cc gas. Construction quality is excellent.

The 40 size is much sportier handling, to the point I'd consider it more of a high wing aerobat than just a trainer. Really fun to fly.

I wouldn't let these guys discourage you from going glow, if that is what you want, especially if you already have an engine.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:22 PM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

go to a club near you and look at some of the trainers and talk to some of the instuctors, Somebody should have a buddie box and fly it .Clubs here have a trainer nite and your welcome to fly.I would vote for a stick greatplane makes a nice one If you lived around here I would talk to you about my world models super stunt good luck ,Remember to use the runway in front of you not behind ya
Old 01-27-2013, 02:59 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great planes .40 size cub and the engine you have is a great combination! I have a kit built one and hardly ever go to the field with out it, also have an arf of the same thing,just in case, got a good deal on it on fleabay. Just remember to ease in to the throttle and practice your rudder skills, dont slam the throttle home and horse it off the ground, the most common mistake I have seen with fledgling cub pilots. Try it you'll like it!
Old 01-27-2013, 03:36 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: freeonthree

Oh come on... I can fly my Cub, or any Cub, or any plane i've ever flown, and never use the rudder in the air. Dennis
You might get it up and back down again on a calm day, buy you won't fly my 72" J-3 or most other cubs very well without using rudder in the air. You're welcome to come fly with me on a typical day around here with winds 7 to 15mph and prove me wrong. You will replace my plane of course if you don't succeed.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:00 PM
THERCAV8R
My Feedback: (283)

Try a Piper cub. I Don't understand the bad comments about a cub. I have flown many different cubs of many different sizes i have had no problems, in the air or on the ground. If you can handle a 4 Star then a cub is no problem.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:04 PM
freeonthree

Well, I havn't crashed in several years, and I just started learning rudder turns a couple of weeks ago. Maybe I just fly Cubs faster than you do. Mine have always turned just fine without rudder. Dennis
Old 01-27-2013, 04:32 PM
freeonthree

I totally agree. I like Cubs for training because they have an excellant glide ratio, and can land really slow. They also look like a real airplane. Any plane that floats well like a Cub is a good trainer in my opinion.
When I learned to fly in 2002, I learned on an Avistar. It had tricycle landing gear, and steered like a car on the ground. It flew beautifully, and turned out to me my favorite heavy wind beater plane. The biggest problem I had, was learning how to touch down on the main wheels first. I kept knocking the nose wheel out of alignment, and bending it back, Grrrr... Then there was the bouncing issue, Grrr... hahaha !
I think I would have learned faster on a taildragger, buit who knows. Some say tricycle gear is the better trainer... Dennis
Old 01-27-2013, 06:04 PM
gmeyer-RCU
My Feedback: (9)

hanger 9 Pulse xt 40 it's a bolt on low wing EASY to assemble and fly. Greg
Old 01-27-2013, 06:32 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Howdy all. I know very little about ARF's but I feel the need to get something up fast. My kit builds are going slowly and the optimum flying season is pretty much now for where I live. I am somewhat of an experienced pilot and can handle planes like the 4 Stars fairly easily. In this case I would prefer a high wing bolt down set up but a low wing is ok as long as it's pretty "Forgiving". I would prefer a tail dragger and if it's a high wing, I would prefer see through windows. As far as engine goes, it WILL be a 4 stroke!

Key words, very nice 40 size forgiving high wing tail dragger that looks like a real plane and will accept a Magnum 52 4 stroke. And yes, I did my taxes today and am already spending my refund.

Thanks in advance.
Get a Sig Kadet senior with a 40 or 46 tie off the alerions to netural and keep the Rudder on the lsft stick and learn to fly 3 channel then when transtioning to 4 channel U will automatically use rudder to corradinate the turnd and keep it stright on landing ... Watch the number of your friends that don't use the rudder except on the ground .... Let me know your experiance if U use this methode. Futher more the reason to use the Kadet is it's big and slow ...easy to see and gives U as a student tie to think .... Best of luck to U RC is a great hobby. Enjoy.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:43 PM
GaryHarris

I think were getting off course here guys. I don't think I need a buddy box, or to duct tape ailerons to turn a 4 channel into a 3 channel. I think I'm leaning towards a Cub to improve, or work on my rudder coordinated input control. Scale and Warbirds is my end goal and I think it's important these coordinations become natural and it seems the Cub is the best choice for this transition.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:15 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

A Cub is never a bad choice! I happen to be a big fan of them. I own several from small electrics up to my 110" Balsa Usa, plus a couple .40 and .60 sized J-3's. Regardless what some others have said here, with a Cub, you will be forced to learn how to use the rudder both in the air and on the ground.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:04 PM
HoundDog

I think were getting off course here guys. I don't think I need a buddy box, or to duct tape ailerons to turn a 4 channel into a 3 channel. I think I'm leaning towards a Cub to improve, or work on my rudder coordinated input control. Scale and Warbirds is my end goal and I think it's important these coordinations become natural and it seems the Cub is the best choice for this transition.
So long it's not one of those little "LECTRIC" peices of junk get a 40 or 60 size to start Electric or glow doesn't mater ... but with out a buddy box and a good instructor ... ecpect to do a lot of repair ...
Old 01-27-2013, 09:49 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Tango .40 would be a lot of fun if you can find one. Horizon show's them in stock. 

Although it lacks the see-through windows, the Tango is an excellent choice. Ed Moorman did a review online, maybe here, and loved it. Designed by Mike McConvlille, it's a winner! Think of it as a fun-fly plane and trainer combined. Definitely not Cub-like, can be flown as mild or wild as you like. I love mine. I can't tell you how many times I've been banging sticks and one of my pals asks 'What was that called?' It can do great inverted flat spins, or just shoot touch-and-goes all day. A great everyday flier. 

We have a guy with a 1/4-scale Cub who doesn't use the rudder properly on takeoff. He's been in the pits more than once, scary. Really doesn't take much rudder, but you do have to know a little bit about what you're doing. [8D]
Old 01-28-2013, 08:24 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The cub is a most enjoyable airplane to fly on the road to warbirds. It will teach you a lot, but it will bite you in a crosswind takeoff. Look up "Ground Loop" or just watch your first efforts at taking off. I think that a cub should be part of every model pilots knowledge. I can fly the cub very well, to say that I have mastered it would be a falsehood. Every once in a while, it will get my adrenalin going.

I will always own a cub and refuse to sell the one I have now, until I can replace it.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 AM
HoundDog

Ya ever realize how the Neofites ask for advice but then say they know it all,   and do what they wanted to do in the first place ... That's the nice thing about this hobby we let U CRASH and BURN all U can afford ... Just do it Safely PLZ

Old 01-28-2013, 10:43 AM
fly24-7

+1 on the Rascal. I'd think the OP would enjoy the plane.

Not so sure about the Tango. It's basically a high-wing Twist. The Twist has really nasty adverse yaw when doing any rudder maneuvers. Try driving a Twist around with the rudder only and you'll see what I mean. You couldn't do a clean stall turn with that plane to save your life.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:56 AM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: fly24-7

+1 on the Rascal. I'd think the OP would enjoy the plane.

Not so sure about the Tango. It's basically a high-wing Twist. The Twist has really nasty adverse yaw when doing any rudder maneuvers. Try driving a Twist around with the rudder only and you'll see what I mean. You couldn't do a clean stall turn with that plane to save your life.
Had 10 of them till i changed to U=CAN-DO's Not one of the Twists flew alike with the same Radio and program even. Some I could get to do Inverted Flat Spins one would even climb in an Inverted flat spin till one day it snapped the opposit way and would not come ont hit the ground real slow but broke in half OH well just 1 of 10. still have 2 and a bunch of spare parts ...
Old 01-28-2013, 01:29 PM
JeffinTD

The U Can Do is a great, fun plane.

I don't think the OP is a completely new flier...
Old 01-28-2013, 01:32 PM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: JeffinTD

The U Can Do is a great, fun plane.

I don't think the OP is a completely new flier...
Probbly Not just Screwing with people ... OH Well!
Old 01-28-2013, 01:41 PM
JH313

Probbly Not just Screwing with people ... OH Well!
Hate to start a war, but read his original post:
Howdy all. I know very little about ARF's but I feel the need to get something up fast. My kit builds are going slowly and the optimum flying season is pretty much now for where I live. I am somewhat of an experienced pilot and can handle planes like the 4 Stars fairly easily. In this case I would prefer a high wing bolt down set up but a low wing is ok as long as it's pretty "Forgiving". I would prefer a tail dragger and if it's a high wing, I would prefer see through windows. As far as engine goes, it WILL be a 4 stroke!

Key words, very nice 40 size forgiving high wing tail dragger that looks like a real plane and will accept a Magnum 52 4 stroke. And yes, I did my taxes today and am already spending my refund.

Thanks in advance.
He clearly said that he has experience, enough to do a 4 Star. I would guess it means he is on his second or third plane. He also says that he wants something forgiving. A cub is perfect for this. He says forgiving. Nowhere does he ask for a first plane or trainer.
Not trying to start anything, just trying to clear things up.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:46 PM
GaryHarris

Sorry for the confusion, but I thought I made myself clear at least twice. I am NOT new to planes or flying. I have built over 60 kits over 21 years and I just don't know much about ARFs. Although not pretty, I have flown a Yak 54. Loops, rolls, inverted with a 4 Star is fairly easy for me, so I guess I'm ready for the next step, but 3D and stuff like that doesn't interest me. I'm more into scale, low and slow. Like warbirds. WW1 planes and eventually WW2 birds like the P47D. For what I am asking here might, or might not be a cool easy flying plane just for relaxing days where something like the LT40 has already bored me. A so to say, "Transitional" plane to move from planes like 4 Stars that can get me ready for warbirds with confidence. I am not naive or dumb enough to think I'm ready for a Corsair with retracts, flaps and smoke.

From yalls input and after thinking about it, I think a Cub fits the bill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.