Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

HELP!!!! new to rc and have a problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 06:10 PM
terrorballer12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!! new to rc and have a problem

alright guys as you can see by my profile, i am new to this lol, always wanted one never had the cash to get a new one. but recently i purchased and ofna rc buggy and had an awesome time driving it, but the last time i went to start it the pull start rope snapped, and ive tried to fix it myslef and was dumb and cut the plastic/rubber piece on it to make it work, and i have no idea what motor is in it, on the block is stamped 3.5 but on the purple (carburator?) is labeled ofna 26 .... is this an ofna .26 or something diffrent, im sure this has been asked before, but ive searched and found nothing regarding this, is there any links out there for a pull start for this motor? any help is greatly appreciated

oh and one other thing about this rc buggy, new to tuning and it seems like when i hit the gas full throttle at an idle, it barely moves and revs up real high for about 2 - 3 seconds and then takes off, but the top end is slow as well, like i said im new to tuning and any help is GREATLY appreciated

thank you,
sincerely Travis
Old 04-29-2012, 06:37 PM
nitroexpress

Default RE: HELP!!!! new to rc and have a problem

ORIGINAL: terrorballer12

alright guys as you can see by my profile, i am new to this lol, always wanted one never had the cash to get a new one. but recently i purchased and ofna rc buggy and had an awesome time driving it, but the last time i went to start it the pull start rope snapped, and ive tried to fix it myslef and was dumb and cut the plastic/rubber piece on it to make it work, and i have no idea what motor is in it, on the block is stamped 3.5 but on the purple (carburator?) is labeled ofna 26 .... is this an ofna .26 or something diffrent, im sure this has been asked before, but ive searched and found nothing regarding this, is there any links out there for a pull start for this motor? any help is greatly appreciated

oh and one other thing about this rc buggy, new to tuning and it seems like when i hit the gas full throttle at an idle, it barely moves and revs up real high for about 2 - 3 seconds and then takes off, but the top end is slow as well, like i said im new to tuning and any help is GREATLY appreciated

thank you,
sincerely Travis
Use Google and type in your question or in this case engine type. Find a pic that matches and then use google to find parts and etc. For OFNA parts, add OFN to the front of any part numbers. Check these links, maybe they will help.

http://www.ofna.com/pdf/eng-force25-26.pdf

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Force-21-26-28

For tuning, try browsing YouTube.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma2_CghxiUk
Old 04-30-2012, 12:48 AM
8MILLSNIPER007

A couple pics of your motor would be worth a thousand words!!!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:35 PM
terrorballer12

ok guys sorry i couldnt post a little earlier, but i have some pics of the motor, and the buggy bieng as how i cant decide which buggy it is lol i know right ... new guys lol

but here they are:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn38101.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1757258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12942.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	1757259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38964.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1757260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99414.jpg
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	1757261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq88908.jpg
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1757262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ja42299.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1757263  
Old 05-01-2012, 01:01 AM
8MILLSNIPER007

Travis,
I believe the engine you have there is the Ofna .26 Force. I am pretty sure that it was made buy a company called Picco. If you go on ebay or nitrohouse.com and do a search for OFNA 26 FORCE you should find all the parts you need. You can also go to your local hobby shop (if you have a decent one close by) and take your pull starter with you they should be able to find a match for you since many pull starters are universal. If you are going to stick with nitro buggies and truggies then I would highly recommend getting yourself a starter box. Much easier to use and much more reliable as well.
As far as your other issues with the buggy not running good, I have a few questions to ask you....When your driving your buggy and you give it 3/4-to full throttle do you notice a trail of smoke coming out of the exhaust? With the hesitation from idle It's really hard to say what it could be without actually seeing it run. It kinda sounds like maybe you have something that is binding in your drivetrain, pull the engine out and check all 3 diffs for any binding or rough spots. While you have the engine out of the buggy take the clutch bell off and check the clutch springs- make sure none are broken or weak. Also check your clutch shoes, if your not sure how to tell if they are worn you can pm me a pic of them or even put it on this forum. Lastly, google Ofna Force 26 carb settings or go to Ofnas website and download the manual for your motor. You should be able to find out what the factory carb needle settings are and start from there. It sounds like either your clutch shoes are toasted or someone put really heavy springs in the clutch to allow the motor to rev higher before the clutch engages.
Good luck and let me know what you come up with,
Tim
Old 01-21-2013, 06:50 PM
terrorballer12

ok again with the late postings lol .... right after christmas my laptop went out so this is from my xbox ... its been about a month since you posted that 8 mil sniper but i got it out today at work and had some tiime to run it. at first it did great no hesitation at all but as i drove it more it got worse after about the first full tank of gas it was hesitating pretty bad and then i noticed that it seemed liked the brakes were squealing but i cant tell if thats what it is ... my front brakes were fairly lose. but it seemed like the rear were pretty tight and had just a verry little amount of movement <refering to what im thinking of like a vehicle, and the caliper holding the pads to the rotor, and eventually leading to a bad squealing and no brakes> but my car was also running out of batery life  ... so im almost wondering if its a brake issue

thanks guys
Old 01-21-2013, 07:21 PM
8MILLSNIPER007

Ok when you say hesitation is the engine hesitating or are the rpms increasing and the car not going? As far as your brakes you should have the front brakes doing most of the work, if you think about it in a real car when you press the brake pedal the front of the car drops down, this is due to weight transfer. if all of your weight is being forced onto the front tires then if you try to slow the car down with the rear brakes it will take a long time to slow down or the rear tires will lock up easily. Because of the weight being forced onto the front tires they have alot of traction, therefore you can use much more braking force. Most real cars have the brake system setup so that the front does 80% of the braking, some more some less.

If your buggy will coast for awhile after you let off the throttle then chances are the drive train is ok. Have you looked at the clutch? If you do take the clutch apart take some pics and send them to me please. Also it appears that your brake linkage is setup correctly from the pics but it is had to see, a closeup of the throttle/brake linkage would be nice too!
Tim
Old 01-23-2013, 06:01 PM
terrorballer12

Sorry, by hesitating i mean the rpms rise and it almost doesnt want to move. and i fiddled around with the brakes today at work tightend the pads [metal parts around the rubber rotor] and for about the firstt two full tanks they did fine, but as i drove it more i noticed they werent stopping quite as well and then a little later the squealling started again. Probably 5 minutes after that i had no steering, so im wondering if im just over reacting on the stopping power and maybe its just happening when my batterys are going low, or could it be a weak servo?

but even if it was just that, i dont understand the squealing .. sorry for all the questions and i will get pics of the driveline/throttle/brake linkage and clutch hopefully tomorow if were slow

and yes it does coast for a while, it seems like theres no drag from the brakes at all, oh and funny story ... monday while we were playing ... i ran out of gas so i brought it in and apparently our shop mechanics son and a co worker were on the same frequency and my co workers truck took off. i was behind one of the bay doors thats like a 1920s door with a little piece of metal about 24" x 18" filing up .. well his truck hit that piece of metal broke it off the door then plastured me in the head ...

thanks Tim i hope im not getting annoying lol

Old 01-24-2013, 08:31 PM
8MILLSNIPER007

Man, I wish I had time to run my cars at work!! LOL... I don't mind helping you out at all, so ask away! I hope your head is ok! It could be your battery pack in the car is running out of power- is it a ni-cad or nimh pack? or are you running regular alkaline batteries? Sounds like nothing in the drive line is binding as you say it will coast for awhile. You could have some oil that has soaked into either the brake pads or disk causing it to squeal, or it could be completely normal for the brake system to squeal on the car you have... Are you sure its the brakes that are making the noise and not the clutch? It kinda sounds like you have some clutch issues. I am wondering if you have a bad bearing in your clutch bell, I have a feeling that your clutch shoes are well worn too. Clutches can be a pretty high maintenance item depending on the vehicle and terrain you run it in. The bearings are subject to high loads and heat so it pays to replace them regularly. I would pull your clutch apart and check all the parts out, if you have any doubts take some pics and either pm them to me or post them on here.
Tim
Old 01-25-2013, 07:04 PM
terrorballer12

Hey Tim, i didnt have any time to look at it today, but tomorrow i wil check on the battery. and as far as the squelling im not positive now that you mentioned the clutch that makes me wonder. but my managers clutch in his losi aftershock went out and it wouldnt move, im not experiencing that ... just a slow takeoff lol but its also something to look into,again i didnt have a chance to fiddle with it but i know its not running of of regular batteries. and just a question ive tryed looking around and cant seem to find any parts for this ... i google searched and asked somewhere else and this to me seems to be an ofna lx comp ... i bent one of my shocks and would like to replace it, is ofna the only place to get parts or am i simply searching wrong

Thanks Tim
Old 01-25-2013, 07:42 PM
terrorballer12

ok so now that i say that, i see the ofna 9.5 which to me seems to be identical ... any ideas on diffrences or if mine is in fact an ultra lx comp
Old 01-26-2013, 01:22 AM
Anthoop

Looks like an Ofna lx to me.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 PM
terrorballer12

alright guys i think ive got some pictures of what the clutch shoes are and they're the best quality i could get .... alot better than my phone
nyways lol

Old 01-26-2013, 07:05 PM
8MILLSNIPER007

Travis, The photos of the clutch did not come through in the pm you sent me? From what I can see it looks to be a LX but I am not a Ofna guy, I am a Caster and associated guy! As fa as parts for it go, there should be plenty of them on ebay and Ofna reuses alot of their parts on different models. For your shock shaft I would take the shaft out of the shock and take it to a local hobby shop, I am sure they could find one for ya!
I would still like to see your clutch shoes, however if the buggy is older and has some runtime on it, it would be a good idea to go ahead a replace the clutch shoes, spings and bearings... also check the condition of your clutch bell, if it is glazed on the inside you can take some sand paper and clean it up, if it is bent o grooved replace it!
Tim
Old 01-26-2013, 07:11 PM
8MILLSNIPER007

I just checked ebay for parts for your buggy and they have everything you would ever need, including a complete clutch/flywheel/ clutch bell for 15.99 not too bad!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:35 AM
terrorballer12

Hey Tim,
i kinda figured that i tried posting them on here also and they didnt work. but they did end up going through in my gallery on my page. i odont know why it worked there and not here or in the pm i sent you lol

Old 01-27-2013, 11:47 AM
bikeordie092

looks almost exactly like my ofna ultra lx one...
Old 01-27-2013, 03:23 PM
8MILLSNIPER007

Ok, I will go into your gallery and check them out
Old 01-27-2013, 07:24 PM
bikeordie092

i believe your clutch shoes are backwards. i have the same motor and mine face the opposite direction.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:59 PM
8MILLSNIPER007

If the shoes are backwards it would not cause the issues he has had. one direction they would grab rapidly with little to no slip, the other direction would allow the shoes to slip a little for slippery tracks etc.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:03 PM
bikeordie092

not that im questioning your experience, but i would think they would barely grab backwards if they did at all, which would explain the high rpms before it takes off and the low top speed....
Old 01-27-2013, 10:42 PM
8MILLSNIPER007

Alot of times on a low bite track we will reverse the direction of the shoes to allow them to slip a little more than usual, but after talking with Travis and viewing his photos he has a couple problems going on with his clutch. The fact that he is running them backwards and they are slipping that badly tells me his springs are toasted! If you look at the bearing that is still on the output shaft you will see that it has been cooked as well It is hard to tell from the photos, but it appears that his shoes have seen better days as well. I am sure part of the reason it is slipping is due to the shoes being reversed but racers reverse them all the time to help with low bite tracks. His springs and bearings are shot there is no doubt about it, from what I see the shoes have also been subjected to high heat and do not look to be in great shape so it makes sense to replace all of those items.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:06 PM
bikeordie092

yeah lol the bearings were toast on mine too, i took it apart and all the little ball bearings went all over the place as soon as i took the screw out lol
Old 01-28-2013, 09:04 AM
8MILLSNIPER007

It's pretty common for clutch bell bearings to have a short life! Just buy the best you can afford and maintain them every day after a bashing or racing session.
Ceramic will handle heat a little better than steel but cost more money too. For bashing I still think the sliding clutch system is the way to go. Jmo!!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:34 PM
terrorballer12

ok guys im back .... after a very horrible experience with the (and only) local hobby shop in town ... where they forced me to never do business with them again, im back with another rant and question. i took it into (so and so) hobbies where they tuned it after replacing the clutch assembly. last saturday i got it back and drove it for probably a total of 4 minutes and a couple flips at the bmx track then it lost ALOT of power, come to find out one of the hub bolts connecting the hub to the dog bone had come loose, i took it home pulled it apart to see if i mangled the dog bone too bad and to my surprise .... not much lol a couple scars in it but tightened it back down and good to go. SO I THOUGHT (i did disassemble basically the whole LF arm)after which i put all back together and went to run today, problem (1. ran into a brake issue. the fronts were locking up without throttle. she went like a bat out of hell on the gas and locked up the front tires in (off trigger) neutral? (2. adjusted brakes to no resistance then she wouldnt stay running if you werent on the throttle ... so my stupid self decided to mess with the THROTTLE trim, i got it to run so you could hit the brakes and she wouldnt die, i drove it for probably another 3 minutes like this and then it started acting as if it had a hickup. hit the throttle open and shed sound good for 1/2 second or a full then puh.. so i mesed with the trim some more and got her running good. till she started throttling on her own in spurts ... me (newbster) thinking ahhhh its the fuel itll clear out ... till she took off for about 6-8 foot and ran into my tire (didnt hurt anything that i know of other than the air filter that went flying ... grabbed it stuck it back on) flipped it AROUND not over ... hit the throttle and the servos didnt move... hit the brake same thing (didnt try steering). turned the radio off and back on and got response but with how funny she was acting i didnt want to take the chance of her going into the busy downtown street to get run over lol. so i guess my question is... does this sound like a radio problem or a servo problem ... or both the servos seem to be original sx-0001`s and the battery pack is a venom camel hump and i cant remember the exact numbers but i know its not stock
again from someone just getting into the hobby any experience is greatly appreciated and thanks tim for the help so far

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.