Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The new Tornado sport jet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The new Tornado sport jet

Old 01-26-2013, 05:01 AM
ModellbauUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The new Tornado sport jet

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Thanks guys, wife bought me a project in France, witch I did not want. LOL.

Mike
Happy Birthday Mike

Enjoy your challenge in France. I'm sure with a slice of local cheese, proper French Bread and a nice glass of Red you'll feel nicely refreshed ready for a trip to the local flying field.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:09 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ian

I sure hope so, hic hic, munch munch.

Mike
Old 01-26-2013, 07:52 AM
737Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you all for the horn input. I dremeled the flap horn smooth with the surface, then used another horn right next to it and faced it to the trailing edge of the flap. I was so used to glueing every horn facing the leading edge, it was no big deal, just a glueing error. I do know about making sure the top of the horn does line up with hinge line though. I finished 1 wing last night, today the other one will be done. I'm trying to decide on the best servo to horn setup. I was thinking of soldering a link to the non-threaded end of the included hardware, but I really like the pro-links. Seems easier to use a wrench in the middle of the pro-link to adjust. This is the easy stuff, putting of the wiring nightmare that is to come with servo leads, engine control, air supply (good group in their days!) battery, yikes!!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:59 AM
Su26flyer
Banned

ORIGINAL: 737Driver

Thank you all for the horn input. I dremeled the flap horn smooth with the surface, then used another horn right next to it and faced it to the trailing edge of the flap. I was so used to glueing every horn facing the leading edge, it was no big deal, just a glueing error. I do know about making sure the top of the horn does line up with hinge line though. I finished 1 wing last night, today the other one will be done. I'm trying to decide on the best servo to horn setup. I was thinking of soldering a link to the non-threaded end of the included hardware, but I really like the pro-links. Seems easier to use a wrench in the middle of the pro-link to adjust. This is the easy stuff, putting of the wiring nightmare that is to come with servo leads, engine control, air supply (good group in their days!) battery, yikes!!
Post a pic of your setup
Old 01-26-2013, 10:09 AM
BaldEagel

737Driver

Someone in the US makes 8 pin MPX type plugs and sockets, that will make the nightmare of the four servo leads much easier to manage, as you have already alluded to the fact you can solder, LOL.

For the Elevator and Rudder connections use the easily obtainable 6 pin MPX's, into the 8 pins, easy peasy he he.

Mike
Old 01-26-2013, 10:22 AM
737Driver

BaldEagle

Thank you for the idea about the MPX setup. I'm trying to keep the inside neat and tidy, and that would be a good idea. I don't have any pictures that would help out just yet, I'm just installing servos and gluing hinges and horns. I'm waiting on gear and that is about it. I must say the fit and finish is really top notch!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:26 AM
BaldEagel

I'v used the six pin MPX connectors for years on all my twin servo wing installations, never had a problem with them, just hope the eight pins are as good, I say this because they are not Multiplex connectors, but a clone made by someone in the US, check them out carefully before you use them, although I have no reason to doubt them.

Mike
Old 01-26-2013, 11:02 AM
737Driver

seems like you cut off the servo plug part of the servo lead and solder the MPX connector on the ends of flap/aileron leads and add wire as necessary to reach inside fuselage. Then inside fuselage you solder the other MPX connector to the leads going to RX. I've worked with those Multiplex connectors before and they are kind of a PITA. That setup saves you from plugging in 4 things when attaching wings, I'm I right? I'm really trying to keep it simple and not messy inside fuselage. Anyone else here chime in, photos would be great!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 03:03 PM
BaldEagel

I don't cut the leads off the servo, I remove the pins from inside the plug, get a socket lead and remove the sockets then attach each other together and shrink warp, the loose end of the socket lead I cut to length and solder to the MPX plug, group the reds and blacks together and solder to the duel pins and solder the signal wire to the single pins left over, for the Rx just a plug lead onto the MPX in the same manner, the secret is a small soldering iron bit, not a small iron, if you are not confident with your soldering don't even attempt it, one failed joint and its very likely you will loose your Tornado.

Just a thought, but may be a bit messy is to CA all the plugs together and all the sockets together so you plug them into each other as a block, but may be a problem if you get them out of alignment, don't CA them with them plugged together its asking for the CA to wick into the joint between them , you may also have to space the plugs apart.

Mike

PS its sometimes helpful to buy long extension leads, you then have plugs and sockets to play with, don't forget to put the shrink wrap on before you solder the leads to the plugs, don't ask.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:49 PM
gbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you looked at the Thunderbolt connectors that Todd at Dreamworks is selling? I haven't tried them personally, but, will in the future. Eliminates the soldering.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 AM
BaldEagel

The problem is the fixed length of the leads, lots of wire to find space for, they will never be the correct length, by soldering up your own harness it eliminates bunched up wires and makes the whole thing look much neater, but you can buy Ashlok connectors loose and use those instead of the MPX.

Mike
Old 01-27-2013, 03:35 AM
Su26flyer
Banned

The problem is the fixed length of the leads, lots of wire to find space for, they will never be the correct length, by soldering up your own harness it eliminates bunched up wires and makes the whole thing look much neater, but you can buy Ashlock connectors loose and use those instead of the MPX.

Mike
Or you could do what others do which is have a spiders web of wires under a plate that looks all neat on the top. What is that all about. Remember there are more problems caused from tight wires than a spiders web.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:53 AM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: Su26flyer

Or you could do what others do which is have a spiders web of wires under a plate that looks all neat on the top. What is that all about. Remember there are more problems caused from tight wires than a spiders web.
Unless you happen to be a fly.

Never heard anyone complain of having a problem because of tight wires, in the crash analysis you would never know.

Mike
Old 01-27-2013, 04:32 AM
funflyerf4
My Feedback: (6)

I can fit mine in my mini van with out removing the wings and booms.I made up my own wires from 22 ga. wire and soldering on the the ends at the receiver. there are no other connections in the wiring.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16051.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1844765  
Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 AM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice ,, weight??
Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 AM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: funflyerf4

I can fit mine in my mini van with out removing the wings and booms.I made up my own wires from 22 ga. wire and soldering on the the ends at the receiver. there are no other connections in the wiring.

Frank
Eliminating potential failure points, I like it, if you have transport big enough its the way to go.

Mike
Old 01-27-2013, 11:50 AM
737Driver

Funflyerf4

Can you please take a close up photo of the guts of your fuselage? You caught my attention with solder at RX. Yesterday, I finished the wings, today tailboom with rudder/elevator will be done!

p.s. Is that f4 at the end of your handle as in F4 Phantom? I used to work on those seats as a young man in the AF, what a nightmare!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 PM
funflyerf4
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: RAPPTOR

nice ,, weight??
It came out at 17.5 lbs. I have balanced it with the scale and it came out at 1.8 lbs on the scale 2/10 heavier. I then checked the other way and it was real close to the 12.75 in back.

Hey 737 I could not get a clearer picture.What i did was to buy pig tales servo connectors which are 12 in. long and solderd to the ends of my wires.I had one of the first tornados when they came out
and did that on the same way and had a lot of flights like that.And I do it like this on all my planes.As for the f4 I have several models of the f4 just like them.

I just started up the jet I sure wish the snow would melt.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:06 PM
Modellbau USA
My Feedback: (5)

Hey guys just a quick note. Flight just got in and I'm home after a great weekend with one of our customers. I flew out to test fly his new Tornado V3 with a K100G and it flew great. One thing I did notice was that some of the red monokote on the leading edge was starting to peel back. Not sure if it was because of the speed or just because the change of temptature loosened the covering a bit. They hit the plane with a radar gun and at full throttle it was going 242 mph on a straight and level full throttle pass. So it is very important that you take a heating iron and go over all the seems and make sure they are firmly secure. A piece of covering coming off at that speed could cause a very big problem
Old 01-27-2013, 06:39 PM
Heliman4213
My Feedback: (1)

Henry still waiting for questions to be answered! !!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Modellbau USA
My Feedback: (5)

Sorry just went back and read your question. Well we sold out of to first container and will be getting another one Monday if customs does not hold it up. We will e at Florida jets Together with King Tech. At the moment we don't expect to have any specials on the airplane since it is very in expensive at the price it is.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:23 PM
Gixxy
My Feedback: (18)

Hey guys just thought I'd introduce myself as a future Tornado and K100G owner A buddy and myself ordered a few from Henry last week and pretty excited about getting our birds together. I'll be swinging by Henry's to pick them up sometime this week. After seeing them up close last year at FL jets it just seemed like a no brainer for a good ole fun jet that can really move buy still land like a puppy. This won't be my a first for me with jet flight but it will be for my buddy although he is a fully capable pilot with plenty of years experience. Just something new exciting and different for him. Hell I'm still pretty stoked Anyhow I did have a few questions and I'm sure I passed some of my own answers up but this thread is rather large so it can be easy to miss a thing here and there.

As for servos I have plenty of tried and true 8411's that I'll be using on the ailerons, flaps, steering (if that uses a standard servo). I guess I just was curious as to what the servo of choice is on the flaps and rudders. I've heard the hitec 5645mg is a decent way to go. Just wanted to make sure thats plenty of power for the elevator at least. I know this bird can really get moving if you want it too.

The other big thing that I want to get ordered is a set of gear.
The dreamworks gear looks to be of a really great build quality from the photos http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/mode...bo-p-2533.html but I was curious if the price premium over the spring air set is worth it or what your experience is with either gear package. Im assuming this is the proper package from retracts.com. http://www.retracts.com/trailinglinks.htm

I'll probably be using electronic valves too for the retracts and brakes just because it has always seemed simpler, cleaner, and easier to setup then the servo actuated valves. I'd imagine dreamworks offers that setup if I just contact them directly.

Obviously a nice UAT. Was checking out the standard style im use to http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/hans...rap-p-970.html but was also considering one of these newer style CATs. Heck it just looks kinda cool but I was wondering if anyone as experience with them. http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/gbrj...ml-p-1970.html

And of course I'll be ordering some Hysol http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/hysol-glue-p-113.html and just double checking all the glue joints that I can access.

Any other must haves that I should be thinking about getting ordered ? I'm also using this post as a bit of a reminder for myself on my next order the DW.

Anyhow really looking forward to picking up our planes and getting the ball rolling. I have a few friends flying in for FLJets2013. I'll be there for sure, not necessarily to do any flying but to check out all the awesome action. I think this is going to be one of the best flying seasons yet !

-Nick
Old 01-28-2013, 12:23 AM
phantom_najd
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Gixxy

Any other must haves that I should be thinking about getting ordered ? I'm also using this post as a bit of a reminder for myself on my next order the DW.

-Nick
Maybe you can see this [link]http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/digital-pneumatic-gear-system-failsafe-p-3422.html[/link] I use it on mine and I like it. Let us hope we will never need it

Azzam
Old 01-28-2013, 01:08 AM
BaldEagel

Rudder and Elevator need mini servo's 5645's will not fit, go back a few posts and do some reading for recommendations.

Don't use digital servo's on the steering, use an Analog MG servo.

Now days I would be looking at electric retracts not air or spring if I was having to buy new.

Mike
Old 01-28-2013, 01:14 AM
phantom_najd
My Feedback: (2)

Rudder and Elevator need mini servo's 5645's will not fit, go back a few posts and do some reading for recommendations.

Don't use digital servo's on the steering, use an Analog MG servo.

Now days I would be looking at electric retracts not air or spring if I was having to buy new.

Mike
Mike,

Why do you advise against the use of digital servo on the steering? Any particular reason besides price difference?

Azzam

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.